Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm surprised he supposedly finished Metal Gear Rising, given that 1, the final boss sounds insane and 2, his absolute hatred for Metal Gear.

What the gently caress do you mean "cut this?" There's no way I can cut that! It's just a sword! I can't cut through rocks! loving morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I don't really want to go further down that site's rabbit hole, but this is a good example of the writing the site produces about these people, also the kind of people the site devotes space to:

http://youtube.wikia.com/wiki/Petey1Piranha

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I loving love the YouTube Wikia (and it features prominently on our next RT guest), especially for stuff like:

quote:

Gaming Systems that DSP currently owns and uses:
Playstation 4 (Upcoming)
Xbox One (Upcoming)

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Slowbeef I have a question, is there a reason there isn't a retsupurae thread? Seem like there should be for stuff like this.

Unless I'm just blind and missing it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm surprised he supposedly finished Metal Gear Rising, given that 1, the final boss sounds insane and 2, his absolute hatred for Metal Gear.

The funny thing is that MGR is a game that has actual issues re: not explaining itself very well and flat out not telling you really important things like exactly how parrying works, and also has a pretty bullshit ranking system. But something tells me DSP couldn't really tell you much about any of that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LeafyOrb posted:

Slowbeef I have a question, is there a reason there isn't a retsupurae thread? Seem like there should be for stuff like this.

Unless I'm just blind and missing it.

I wasn't there to see it but the last thread(s) ended in a cavalcade of creepy/bad.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Since we're talking about the podcast let me just say the Slowbeef got the story about phil and his computer wrong.
Okay so from what I under stand is that it when phil first got started and was gaining popularity Chris Furtado (aka the Mightyfurtado) and his friend Teo sent Phil a message say "hey is it cool if we make a site for you" Phil said yes and then they made thekingofhate.com. About a year or so later Phil posted on his website that he was in the market for a gaming PC and so Chirs and Teo contacted him again and said that they were doing an intership with Tigerdirect and would be willing to build him a gaming PC,and so it went more or less like you said on the video, they screwed up on the ram but besides that and the case getting cracked when they were shipping it to him everything was fine. They even threw in a bunch of software for him including Amensia, Crysis, and Sony Vegas Pro 10. Okay so then Slowbeef and Chip made their little video earlier this year. As a result, Phil is suddenly put under immense pressure to switch to direct capture. So he finally gives in and buys a hauppauger HD PVR. He then streams himself setting it up and calls on Chris and Teo for help. During the evening he starts getting frustrated when he has trouble setting it up for Livestreaming with his PS3 and begins lashing out and Chris and Teo and saying they the PC that they built for him is a lemon and that they ripped him off and generally berating them. A few days later during one of his Vlogs he tries to explain himself and then again starts laying into them and demanding that they give him the site and that they should apologize.

So in short Phil is an rear end in a top hat and Chris and Teo should be considered heroes for putting up with his poo poo for so long.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wasn't there to see it but the last thread(s) ended in a cavalcade of creepy/bad.

Mostly it inspires imitation, imitation which becomes (if not starts) as bad as what it's making fun of, and then the thread bogs down into debates over what's good or bad, what's fun or unfun, who needs/deserves/is stalked by internet detectivism, and then at last the complaining about the complaining which marks the death of any such thread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder if a wrongpurae thread would be alright, some things I noticed and I'd rather not comment on youtube to talk about things.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Leal posted:

I wonder if a wrongpurae thread would be alright, some things I noticed and I'd rather not comment on youtube to talk about things.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Slowbeef and Diabetus do way more podcasts and Wrongpuraes these days so I don't think it would be too bad. Perhaps I'm just being too optimistic about goons though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bleh. Might have to rethink doing a Tropico 4 LP after all. I'd love to do it but my current situation is such that I'd have to double-dip and buy it all over again to do it. Maybe when I have an extra thirty bucks to blow.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey. Been working on a hybrid LP with Nine-Gear Crow. This is our first VLP, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's a Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire LP with a gimmick. I don't want to reveal all our content before the LP goes live, but here's our introduction:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15914

Here's a direct link to the video:

What we're really after is feedback on the video. How are the levels?, is the quality alright?, would you watch an entire LP with the two us?, etc.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

God I love abbreviations.

This seems really ambitious and really interesting to people like me who played the game but never got into the other media surrounding the game. That said, I have to wonder why the Asteroid Field, maybe on of the most boring levels in the game, was your choice for a test video.

To be fair, I haven't had a chance to watch the test video so I can't chime in on the commentary or video quality, but this seems to have potential for people who just want to learn about the stuff around the game. That interest may help fill in the gap you see between episodes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's a really short level! If we needed to a tonne of re-editing, the idea was that we could have a fast turn-over rate between test posts.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

It's a really short level! If we needed to a tonne of re-editing, the idea was that we could have a fast turn-over rate between test posts.

I figured that was the reasoning behind it. It may be beneficial to do even a section of the second level. I only say that because the on foot missions are fairly long affairs that may give you an idea how you'll handle commentary when nothing is happening or how you'll handle upgrades and secrets and such.

That's just a suggestion from one person, not a requirement. In my experience having a couple videos for people to check out in the Sandcastle can be beneficial, especially if your new to the process of putting one of these together. Again, a suggestion, not a requirement.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cavalry only, no archers, open plains. Let's play Prophesy of Pendor!

Prophesy of Pendor is a mod for Mount and Blade Warband that creates its own lore, factions, units and its own map. Its also really hard (and at times, tedious.), some compare it to Dark Souls difficulty but thats assuming Dark Souls didn't let you do counter attacks and dodging and instead became a numbers game. So of course I'll be running through this from level 1, only quitters import a level 60 character :colbert:.

This is using the latest version of the game, which includes things such as nerfing the Qualis Gem potions and allowing the huge minor faction armies the ability to ransack towns. I'll explain those when I get to it, without further ado:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15917

Are the pictures ok? Could they stand to be a bit bigger, should I make them smaller? Save them in a different file? Too much explaining, not enough?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

LeafyOrb posted:

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Slowbeef and Diabetus do way more podcasts and Wrongpuraes these days so I don't think it would be too bad. Perhaps I'm just being too optimistic about goons though.

This an okay compromise? I don't know about a Retsupurae-only thread.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

So I have a Youtube question. If I become a partner am I obligated to monetize at least one of my videos? Or can I be a partner and not put ads on any of my videos at all?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

The pictures are perhaps a bit blurrier than they need to be. M&B text is quite hideous, but if I were you, I'd still try to make the tiny notifications in the bottom left corner legible.

Your commentary is good, I don't really have anything else to add.

Also, would you consider making videos of some of the more interesting battles?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ShadowMar posted:

So I have a Youtube question. If I become a partner am I obligated to monetize at least one of my videos? Or can I be a partner and not put ads on any of my videos at all?

Exactly what partnership program are you referring to? Traditionally the partnership program has referred specifically to putting ads on your work so you make money. The entire idea behind it being a partnership is that you, the content creator, partners with Youtube, your publisher.

In other subjects, I just got the email yesterday that blip is terminating the account Roboky and I share, too. Good riddance, really, what a lovely service.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Coolguye posted:

Good riddance, really, what a lovely service.

Seriously. They charge something like $80 a year in order for you to upload in HD and to set your videos to private. Things you can do for free on pretty much ANY OTHER SERVICE out there.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

Exactly what partnership program are you referring to? Traditionally the partnership program has referred specifically to putting ads on your work so you make money. The entire idea behind it being a partnership is that you, the content creator, partners with Youtube, your publisher.

In other subjects, I just got the email yesterday that blip is terminating the account Roboky and I share, too. Good riddance, really, what a lovely service.

Yep, gently caress blip anyways. I was bouncing around between using them and not using them for the last few LPs and I really don't mind not having a secondary source now that YouTube doesn't totally suck.

Also, I have some four YouTube "networks" asking me to fill out an application to join them at the moment and for some reason the offers started rolling in after a couple other guys and I started doing a podcast that goes out of it's way to make fun of the sort of people who want to partner with these networks.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is there a way to enable hd play on youtube without fiddling with the settings button? I find it tedious to do every time I want to watch a video and is basically my only problem with the service these days.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

pun pundit posted:

Is there a way to enable hd play on youtube without fiddling with the settings button? I find it tedious to do every time I want to watch a video and is basically my only problem with the service these days.

Not on YouTube directly, but there's an extension for Chrome called YouTube Options that has an option to always play at the highest quality. I'm sure similar extensions are available for other major browsers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

shinmai posted:

Not on YouTube directly, but there's an extension for Chrome called YouTube Options that has an option to always play at the highest quality. I'm sure similar extensions are available for other major browsers.

Yeah I've got a grease monkey script that does it for me, and another one that makes the videos browser fullscreen. Both are really drat handy.

kalonZombie posted:

Seriously. They charge something like $80 a year in order for you to upload in HD and to set your videos to private. Things you can do for free on pretty much ANY OTHER SERVICE out there.

Can't really say I'm all that sad my account is getting purged either. Slightly miffed that one of my LPs won't be available in decent quality but still not that sad about it.

Dartigan
Oct 7, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

Most partnerships require you to monetize your vids. Machinima is the worst offender. If you are partnered with them and don't select the add types they require they will do it for you.

There are exceptions though. I'm partnered with Curse and I have total control over monetization of my content. I can choose what types of adds or no adds at all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Leal posted:

Prophesy of Pendor is a mod for Mount and Blade Warband that creates its own lore, factions, units and its own map. Its also really hard (and at times, tedious.), some compare it to Dark Souls difficulty but thats assuming Dark Souls didn't let you do counter attacks and dodging and instead became a numbers game. So of course I'll be running through this from level 1, only quitters import a level 60 character :colbert:.

This is using the latest version of the game, which includes things such as nerfing the Qualis Gem potions and allowing the huge minor faction armies the ability to ransack towns. I'll explain those when I get to it, without further ado:

Are the pictures ok? Could they stand to be a bit bigger, should I make them smaller? Save them in a different file? Too much explaining, not enough?

Wow, someone's doing this :haw:

The pictures are fine to me, go about it how you want. Have you considered not using emoticons to denote speakers in dialogue though? I think it'd be a bit better to have mugshots.

This mod was the reason I spent over 300 hours at M&B: Warband. So my questions are a few and without being too spoilerific. Are you going to write a little narrative surrounding this? Are you really going to forgo archers? (Every PoP player will think of what you could get in this game if you were about archers, including me :smugbert:)

e. (post below reminded me)

I'm in a bit of a rush so I forgot to say, can you do videos? On top of that, did you/could you increase the troop count by modifying the config file? The battles, and in fact the overworld travel, are all made infinitely better by the lineup of tracks they have in this game, especially the stuff by Lind Erebros. For all interesting or new battles I'd recommend videos. I wouldn't say this is a spoiler but there are random events where great heroes of legend or something come around and wreak havoc on the land and you fight gigantic armies as a result. They always have their own theme, so videos there would definitely be a plus.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 10, 2013

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Leal posted:

If you want to do a pure SSLP, that's totally cool and I'll probably still read it. However, I really like what Shalcar did with his Shogun 2 (and Rise of the Samurai) LP where he had videos for the battles. If not all battles (M&B has rather a lot of pithy bandit battles that aren't worth anyone's time), at least big, notable, or potentially exciting battles. I'd consider at least trying it and seeing if it works out for you.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

If you're talking about the direct YouTube monetize option which requires an Adsense account, you have full control over what videos are monetized. Just enabling the option on your account used to give you more features like custom thumbnails, but I think some of that may be available easier now.

When partnering through a third party like Machinima, Polaris, Curse, etc it really just depends on the contract if you're required to monetize - though I'm not sure why you'd lock yourself into such an arrangement if you didn't want to use ads.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

unfair posted:

Just enabling the option on your account used to give you more features like custom thumbnails, but I think some of that may be available easier now.

Pretty sure custom thumbnails you can do on any video when you upload; I've got AdSense linked, though, so it might not be the case.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

frozentreasure posted:

Pretty sure custom thumbnails you can do on any video when you upload; I've got AdSense linked, though, so it might not be the case.

I don't have Adsense linked, nor do I monetize any videos, and I have that option. It seems to be something related to your account being in good standing, but not the same something as the 15-minute limit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Also, I have some four YouTube "networks" asking me to fill out an application to join them at the moment and for some reason the offers started rolling in after a couple other guys and I started doing a podcast that goes out of it's way to make fun of the sort of people who want to partner with these networks.
Roboky and I get at least one of those a week. My advice would be to ignore them unless someone goes out of their way to get to know you specifically. A lot of them have a serious catch, such as requiring that you put out videos every weekday or something, and generally they'll treat you like a cog in their machine. If you want to make money on your videos, go for it, that's your right and honestly I think more LPers should do that since I feel it'll generally raise the bar on what we get out of LPs. But I kinda think it'd be a better idea to work on building some of your own infrastructure first so you have the basing to say to the more shady fucks "I don't NEED your kind here."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If there's one thing I've learned from following several channels that got burned hard, basically never sign with Machinima. Ever.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from following several channels that got burned hard, basically never sign with Machinima. Ever.

I'd be interested to know horror stories from Machinima.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Slowbeef posted:

Ditto, considering how long they've been around it would've struck me that they were the ones who least needed to do evil stuff.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've read some AMAs by their more successful members and they've mentioned Machinima people are usually incredibly unresponsive and hard to reach but have an overblown reputation. That's probably just the tip of the iceberg though, can't imagine what it's like for all the way less known video makers who are probably dicked over way more often.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What I heard is that they demand a lot out of the partners.
Mostly it seems that they like to overstep their bounds. Not to mention the whole overt machnima branding that is more or less mandatory on all videos.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Slowbeef posted:

I only know about Freeman's Mind, which got signed on Machinima for a while, but left and was all the better for it. The guy who makes it wrote a very long post about it.

http://www.accursedfarms.com/escape-from-machinima/

It comes a little whiny at times, but it was still an interesting read I thought.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Awhile back it was discovered that Machinima signed people on using contracts that basically said all video content produced by that person, forever, belonged to Machinima and that they could not host videos without pimping Machinima or sign onto another service while signed onto Machinima (and machinima contracts were binding, non-negotiable, and lasted forever). This was all hidden in the middle of a bunch of legalese, so most people couldn't figure this out even if they read the full contract. Think the contracts directors used to force actors to sign in the early days of film, and you've basically got the machinima contracts.

Ed: Here's an article about it. http://www.dallasobserver.com/2013-01-10/news/rage-against-the-machinima/full/

Basically, they're getting video creators in their late teens and early twenties to sign contracts which effectively bar them from making any content across any form of media without Machinima's sponsership and ads, for the rest of their life.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Everything I know about Machinima I learned from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aTEbqBqP8Q

• Locked thread