Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, G Gundam took a little while to get going.

I'm hesitant to compare this to G Gundam because I don't want to get people's hopes up, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be at least moderately entertaining and hopefully not frustrating.

Also Reiji totally has to be from space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
G Gundam was: Shuffle Alliance introduction episodes (and hiding a gundam in landmarks then blowing them up), SHINING GUNDAM SUPER MODE, plot plot plot. And it was glorious.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Y'know, I liked Zoids. I'll watch this too. It's pretty much just an excuse to animate "who would win in a fight?" with Gundams, and I'm alright with that. I hope someone has a Gundam F91 and it does well, that's my favorite.

Hahaha, checking out the PV2 someone has a custom Gunpla called Gundam X SATAN

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HGUC F91 is coming out in December, so it's almost certainly going to get some spotlight like how episode 1 shilled HGAC Wing.

And now that I think about it, that means we should be getting a scene for HGAW Double X too. :dance:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Considering they'll be making a hg turn A, I wonder what abilities it will have if it shows up. If it's got the moonlight butterfly then the gunpla it's fighting against is pretty much screwed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really hope this just goes whole hog with the goofy references. I want the kid with the Turn-A and the kid with the Turn-X to destroy each other at the same time then get into a fistfight.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

TNG posted:

Y'know, I liked Zoids. I'll watch this too. It's pretty much just an excuse to animate "who would win in a fight?" with Gundams, and I'm alright with that. I hope someone has a Gundam F91 and it does well, that's my favorite.

I think more than Zoids I'm hoping this turns into something like Medabots. Because that show had a Char and a Mr. Karate with identical masks, and then played the reveal that it's the same guy like a huge surprise. That goofy sense of humor combined with "let's kitbash all the Gundams!" could give us some pretty wild stuff. I'm just here to see what comes next, basically.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Medabots also had a random judge show up out of nowhere.

Gundams, Gunbattle!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TNG posted:

Medabots also had a random judge show up out of nowhere.

Gundams, Gunbattle!

Ramba Ral emerges from a trash can to explain the rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fred is on posted:

Ramba Ral emerges from a trash can to explain the rules.
"This is NO DISQUALIFICATION, boy. NO DISQUALIFICATION."

Casaval
Aug 25, 2003

Newtype
Just watched the first episode, I like it a lot. Only people who already like Gundam will give two shits about this show, but it's way better than AGE.

For some reason I have no problem with cash-in shows that are honest about it. I hope it makes a lot of money so Bandai can make a new Gundam TV series that isn't terrible.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I would have no problem with this if it got insanely popular because I'd love to see a world where Bandai could use it as their merchandise vehicle with a new season every 12 months and leave Sunrise generally alone otherwise to create more story and character driven shows as they please using the Gundam name now that you mention it.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

This show really needs some sort of Master Asia cameo.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BattleRobit posted:

This show really needs some sort of Master Asia cameo.

If Ramba Ral got a cameo in the first episode, there's no way in hell they'll not get Domon and/or Master Asia somewhere in this show.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Casaval posted:

For some reason I have no problem with cash-in shows that are honest about it. I hope it makes a lot of money so Bandai can make a new Gundam TV series that isn't terrible.

I don't think needing money is a problem for Bandai. I think their problem is that they care more about selling merchandise than making good war stories and it's really transparent in Gundam shows post-Turn A.

Instead of relying on a good narrative to satisfy the audience (hence encouraging them to buy merchandise), they use the narrative as an advertising vehicle for merchandise. "Liked that optional pack the Gundam equipped in episode 22? We'll make a model out of it, on top of the base version! Make sure you buy both!"

Gundam has the paradox of flashy war machines (marketed to military otaku) and the need to portray war as A Terrible Thing, because Japan. And ironically, that's what I like about Gundam BF--it sheds the baggage of the latter, leaving us with honest-to-goodness competitive robot action.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Even the original Gundam was designed to sell toys, it's just that the toyline bombed, and they later decided to make some movies and model kits which were accidentally a hit.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Even the original Gundam was designed to sell toys, it's just that the toyline bombed, and they later decided to make some movies and model kits which were accidentally a hit.

Except that Tomino did it most reluctantly. If he didn't need to sell toys then he would have gone along his own ideas.

I quite like the stories of the staff trying to jeopardize the producers' evil, money-grubbing demands (see: the ending of Might Gaine, the drab enemy mobile suit designs of Victory, and the weird-rear end G Gundam mechs). Or Gundam Sousei, even if it's dramatized to the point of hyperbole. Nowadays it feels like the directors are wholly on-board with the thing, making sure the story doesn't get too much in the way of the show being a toy advertisement.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's not a lack of money and it's not the focus on merch, it's the fact that Sunrise is currently run by a bunch of gutless wonders with no vision who favor the path of least resistance, whether that applies to the stories they choose to tell or the talent they choose to tell it.

These are the same breed of well-manicured tubers who were busy ramming Disney into the dirt a decade ago, and I doubt anything short of a massive regime change would do anything to solve that. Something like MSG or even G Gundam wouldn't get made today, because it wouldn't occur to them to even try.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Except that Tomino did it most reluctantly. If he didn't need to sell toys then he would have gone along his own ideas.

I quite like the stories of the staff trying to jeopardize the producers' evil, money-grubbing demands (see: the ending of Might Gaine, the drab enemy mobile suit designs of Victory, and the weird-rear end G Gundam mechs). Or Gundam Sousei, even if it's dramatized to the point of hyperbole. Nowadays it feels like the directors are wholly on-board with the thing, making sure the story doesn't get too much in the way of the show being a toy advertisement.

Yeah, the story of Gundam has always been one of Tomino fighting against the merchandizing end of Sunrise. ...sadly that's a battle Tomino eventually lost, and Gundam is sort of a shell of what it was in the 80s and 90s. :smith: If you ever want to see what Gundam would have been like without a big push to sell toys, check out Tomino's Gundam novels. While the English translations are pretty bad, the stories are a little more mature and realistic. Tomino himself admits that he wish he didn't kill off Amuro in them, though and wouldn't have had he known that Gundam would become popular.

Bimmi posted:

These are the same breed of well-manicured tubers who were busy ramming Disney into the dirt a decade ago, and I doubt anything short of a massive regime change would do anything to solve that. Something like MSG or even G Gundam wouldn't get made today, because it wouldn't occur to them to even try.

They certainly seem pretty conservative. I don't really expect to ever see something as crazy and ballsy as G Gundam or Turn A ever again. The problems with SEED Destiny and AGE go way beyond a mere desire to play it really safe though, it's just downright ineptitude.

Unicorn is pretty darn good though, and I have faith in an anime version of The Origin though, because hey, somebody else already wrote the stories to them, so it's not like they're dreaming up some more crap on their own. Maybe they should just let somebody else write manga \ light novels from now on and if they're any good, just take the stories from those instead of trying to do their own.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 10, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hey guys, did anyone else notice this?

It's the loving Aesculapius.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SEED's problem isn't that it was conservative or existed to sell toys, it's that it was written by someone who's previous experience amounted to much cheaper cash-in anime and the episode of Outlaw Star where they fight a psychic cactus who controls an army of insects.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is that a Gundamtank I see there?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gammatron 64 posted:

The problems with SEED Destiny and AGE go way beyond a mere desire to play it really safe though, it's just downright ineptitude.

That is what you get when you make creative decisions based on what you perceive to have commercial appeal (as opposed to making it appealing, which takes actual talent and hard work) and have focus groups and bean counters write your stories for you. It's all part of the mentality that despises risk and craves maximum return for minimal effort, and it draws mediocrity to itself like a black hole of Suck.

That's what bugs me most about GBF, regardless of its (exceedingly modest) charms. It is Sunrise literally saying "welp, we give up, just make it all about buying model kits and let's call it a day." I don't see that as "refreshingly honest" so much as a complete failure of imagination on every level.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Schneider Heim posted:

the drab enemy mobile suit designs of Victory

Drab is not the word I would use to describe most of Victory Gundam's enemy suits considering that they use motorbike battleships, giant wheels, dragon mobile armors, helicopter partsformers and other crazy poo poo. Also, having finally gotten around to watching this I actually have some hope that it might try and go the G Gundam route of including the normal Gundam themes in a really weird setting while having fun given that Reiji just has to be an alien or magical entity of some kind and Ramba Ral calls him a newtype. I can see the story evolving in to a conflict involving aliens or magical beings with the two of them caught between the sides. Mind you, I can also see it not doing it at all or making GBS threads the bed even if it tries, but I enjoyed the episode more than I expected to and have some hope it'll try to be more and that's more than I expected so I'm happy with that.

Edit: Also, Sei has Gundam foot style white runners with red trim. I want a pair.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 10, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

SEED's problem isn't that it was conservative or existed to sell toys, it's that it was written by someone who's previous experience amounted to much cheaper cash-in anime and the episode of Outlaw Star where they fight a psychic cactus who controls an army of insects.

Whoa now, you better not be dissing Gear Fighter Dendoh :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyber Formula is also excellent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be frank if SEED had been like any of these things (Cyber Formula, Dendoh, Outlaw Star) it probably would have been a much better show.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I find it funny that people complain that they won't do "anything crazy like G-Gundam ever again" when G-gundam's whole countries fight in a big tournament was a direct mandate from Bandai. Imagawa had no choice but to include it. He then added the devil gundam and then made the story work.

I think the main problem is that gundam has a lack of competent writers and directors. The last good gundam series was arguably 00, a series I enjoyed from beginning to end. At least build fighters looks promising.

Although this should likely go in the general gundam thread.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

tsob posted:

Drab is not the word I would use to describe most of Victory Gundam's enemy suits considering that they use motorbike battleships, giant wheels, dragon mobile armors, helicopter partsformers and other crazy poo poo.

I guess the phrase I should've used was "too weird to sell as toys". It's the League Militaire's grunts that were drab. Anyway, I found a supreme lack of merch for Victory and maybe Tomino had a hand in that.

At the risk of derailing the thread further, Dendoh's giant AA batteries were a great Super Robot Thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

It's the League Militaire's grunts that were drab.

There is a massive amount of people who like them just because of that. Not everybody goes for the Gundams!

Also the fact that there aren't many model kits for Late UC designs is a massive shame; a lot of people are still really disappointed Bandai didn't release a MG V2 this year.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think everyone needs to realize going in that this is not a Gundam show, or even a mecha show, it's a Card Battle show. Sure, they may not be activating trap cards or whatever, but they're still putting massive stakes on the outcome of a game played by a bunch of children/teenagers. You even go to a store to buy something that will make your battle strategy stronger. It's even compounded further by the new modular customization gimmick Bandai is pushing with all of the merchandise.

It may have Aliens and Newtypes, and whatever, but that's pretty old hat for most Card Battle shows. Various Yu-Gi-Oh! shows have had the fate of the entire goddamn planet based around the outcome of a children's card game, along with ghosts, time travel, cyborgs, space travel, genetic splicing, etc. to boot. The further off the deep end it goes into outright sci-fi, the more it has in common with its other Card Battle shows.

I think when people get past the initial barrier of this thing having GUNDAM plastered all over it and tying into a nearly 40 year old metaseries that has had several different flavors of war story, and accept this thing for what it is and what it isn't they'll be much happier. There's nothing wrong with a Card Battle show, it's just that it's never going to be a "Gundam" show as one understands it.

TNG fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 10, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
This is dually a card battle show to sell things to children and a fanservice show for older gundam fans. The main reason I'm looking forward to this show is because I know exactly what to expect. It isn't promising the world and failing to deliver like AGE did. I can turn my brain off for 20 minutes and watch some MS battles that you'd never get to see in a regular gundam show, and enjoy some cameos from fan favourite characters. It's still going to be a better show than AGE, and it will print money for Bandai so that they can do more high-quality OVA adaptions of existing works rather than clowning around with pathetic attempts to make their own original TV series. It's a win-win for all Gundam fans. You don't even have to watch the show, simply the fact that it exists is funding things like Unicorn and whatever will come after it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TNG posted:

I think everyone needs to realize going in that this is not a Gundam show, or even a mecha show, it's a Card Battle show.

This is such a silly argument. You might as well say that G Gundam isn't a Gundam show, it's a tournament show and/or shounen show. The superficial stuff isn't what made G a Gundam show, it's the fact it still included all the usual hallmarks of Gundam: characters arcs, upgrades, insane girls for the protag to fight, a war between the colonies and Earth and so on. Almost all of which were introduced in later episodes. The first episode of this alone introduces the idea that Reiji is a newtype and comes from someplace that clearly isn't Earth. They're almost definitely going to introduce some kind of greater conflict the Gunpla battles will eventually revolve around solving. Whether it's good or not is another matter entirely, as is how many other elements they introduce - but it's still a Gundam show as well as being a card battle show. Then again, I enjoyed the first episode regardless, so it's not something I'm trying to find reasons to like or dislike.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Well, I certainly agree that arguing over the minutia will lead to a no true Scotsman argument that ultimately leads nowhere, but I don't think that the Gunpla element is exactly superficial. G Gundam I would argue is what it was from episode one. Earth, in a bit of subversion from the strandard trope of most UC and a few AU shows, is messed up horribly and the elite have migrated into space. Domon is required to fight by various adult figures in a conflict which is making life miserable for most other individuals. Oh yeah, Domon also has a problem communicating with people, and must find a way to bridge that gap(through FISTS rather than Newtype ESP or platitudes about not fighting). It certainly has the trappings of a Shonen fight show, but its first dramatic beat isn't "look how cool my powers are kids, buy all these products". Sei's directly stated ambition is to "build the best Gunpla(which you could buy at a store just like Sei's)and have it piloted gracefully". Very much the character's arc is being grounded in getting a real life product and playing with it in some manner.

I'm not arguing that this show is bad or in anyway some sort of embarrassment, far from it. But I would contend that this show wouldn't be that much different if it were about some other robot product. It's part of its appeal and longevity, since the fanservice to entice older Gundam fans is a big part of it too, but I would say that the GUNDAM bit is really the superficial part while the "look how cool this product is and look how cool playing with it is" is the real meat of the show. Since Reiji's alieness and being a Newtype or whatever is ultimately going to tie back into buying more Gunpla.

TNG fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 10, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TNG posted:

Reiji's alieness and being a Newtype or whatever is ultimately going to tie back into buying more Gunpla.

This is where we disagree and I think you're jumping the gun. It's only one episode in. I have no doubt that it's entirely possible, if not likely that what you say is true and the show will turn out to be a rather cheap cash-in concentrating more on the gunpla aspect than making a Gundam show viewed through a weird lens like G was, but saying it's definite after one episode is premature and I'm personally going to wait and see what the show actually does before deciding that. While G may have introduced a conflict spurred by adults within it's first episode this has introduced all the elements needed to have such a plot (Reiji's alien-ness, newtypes and adults running a contest) - it just hasn't solidified them yet. You can see just from those elements how a card battle show could go the Yu-Gi-Oh or Bakugan route of having Gunpla battles decide the fate of the world and have a conflict spurred by Reiji and his ilk just from this one episode, so I'm going to wait and see if they do before pronouncing it hasn't.

Going by G's first episode one could have decided that it was just going to be a constant feed of tournament fights with not much in the way of story or character just as easily as you've dismissed the possibility of Gunpla fighters going for more. The real elements that solidified that story (the Devil Gundam, Master Asia etc.) weren't introduced until like 12 episodes in or something. Before that it was just Domon fighting a racist caricature Gundam every episode while asking about Kyoji. And Build Fighters even has a parallel to that already in the mystery of what happened to Sei's dad if you want to get picky.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 10, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

boom boom boom posted:

Hey guys, did anyone else notice this?

It's the loving Aesculapius.

Is that an entire shelf of MSVs? :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Faltion posted:

Is that an entire shelf of MSVs? :allears:

No, Meer's Zaku is there and that appeared in-series.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

ImpAtom posted:

No, Meer's Zaku is there and that appeared in-series.

SEED always ruining my day!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

With all this speculation, I almost hope Reiji just turns out to be a really sheltered kid or something similarly mundane.

I also hope he's revealed to be a girl because both his voice and his character design make me think he's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I'm getting the impression he's some sort of foreign nobility or something like that. Japan loves that cliche.

• Locked thread