Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

http://www.stanleyparable.com http://www.stanleyparable.com http://www.stanleyparable.com http://www.stanleyp

October 17th, 2013 October 17th, 2013 October 17th, 2013 October 17th, 2013 October 17th, 2013 October 17th, 20

https://www.facebook.com/TheStanleyParable, https://twitter.com/HelloCakebread http://store.steampowered.com/a

$14.99 / 11,99€ / £9.99
It has a -20% Offer till October 23rd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB4AR5Crb54

Introducing: The Stanley Parable Helpful Development Showcase!
The Stanley Parable Helpful Development Showcase: Forklifts
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Making Mistakes
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: A Fireside Chat with William Pugh!
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Self Review
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Paradoxes
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Payment
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Stalling For Time
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Press
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Emotions
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Secrets
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Hidden Meaning
The Stanley Parable Dev Showcase: Pressure

Davey Wreden, creator posted:

The Stanley Parable is an exploration of story, games, and choice. Except the story doesn't matter, it might not even be a game, and if you ever actually do have a choice, well let me know how you did it.

The Stanley Parable is a first person exploration game. You will play as Stanley, and you will not play as Stanley. You will follow a story, you will not follow a story. You will have a choice, you will have no choice. The game will end, the game will never end. Contradiction follows contradiction, the rules of how games should work are broken, then broken again. This world was not made for you to understand.

But as you explore, slowly, meaning begins to arise, the paradoxes might start to make sense, perhaps you are powerful after all. The game is not here to fight you; it is inviting you to dance.

The Stanley Parable is a 8888888888888888888888, a 888888888888 and a 8888888888888888888.

It is also a modification based on the Source game engine, developed by Davey Wreden and released in July 2011. You can find it here. Or here. Or perhaps here. The original game follows the story of a man named Stanley, who spends his days pushing buttons as commanded by his boss, who issues orders to his workers via a system of monitors. However, one day Stanley notices that he hasn't been given any orders in hours. What follows are events that change his life forever.

A high-definition remastered version, including new story elements, has been released on Steam. The same URL also has a Demo. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU PLAY THE DEMO, even if you're gonna buy it. Just trust me. Or not. Why should I dictate what you do?

Would you care to see how The Stanley Parable looks like?

You're still confused? Perplexed, by chance?

Perhaps this will somewhat explain what the Stanley Parable is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF1L2LSP4eY

Not doing it for you? Well, perhaps this fine chap by the name of Raphael could explain it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-IcS7mRSk

No? Then try viewing some video material we've prepared to show how The Stanley Parable has been made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DsMuHIjCMU

Sorry for the somewhat irregular thread OP, but The Stanley Parable really has to be experienced, it cannot be explained. If nothing else, go try the HL2 mod.

Eurogamer: Astoundingly labyrinthine onion-like layers of narrative tangents the player can embark on in what feels like the unholy interactive offspring of Inception, Being John Malkovich and Portal.
Gamespot: A remarkable achievement that holds a mirror toward gaming trends while smiling broadly at its own infectious whimsy.
Polygon: The Stanley Parable has no meaning beyond what players give it. It's not quite like looking in a mirror, but more like a self-portrait.
Rock Paper Shotgun: It’s brilliant. Why? That would spoil it. You’ll just have to trust me.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well for a short, free demo, that sure was smart, surprising, really drat funny and utterly brilliant. I loved the original and I'll probably play the full game in one sitting next week.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Anyone want to try to decipher this? It's on one of the first few tables you see in the demo if you want to try to get a clearer picture.

I do want to try to see if I can poke through the texture files because there's a bunch of little side details that I can almost read that I'd love to read fully.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone found a demo secret (which is unrelated to the numbers above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBP7em9buas

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
...I see that he started to bob his head just like I did! :D

That, the things you hear if you keep pressing 8 and the personalized review/demo copies, made this thing even better than I originally thought. Which is impossible.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Personalized copies?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Stink Terios posted:

I don't know what The Stanley Parable is about, but I do know I want it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnxXJyOJ0s

:allears:

Personalized copies: The narrator has specific lines for this online show. It's amazing. And watch the video, it freaks them the gently caress out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

flatluigi posted:

Anyone want to try to decipher this? It's on one of the first few tables you see in the demo if you want to try to get a clearer picture.

I do want to try to see if I can poke through the texture files because there's a bunch of little side details that I can almost read that I'd love to read fully.

Looks like basic ASCII stuff

"73 32 106 117 115 116 32 112 108 97 121 101 100 32"
=
"I just played"

e. oh, it seems to be Raphael's letter (didn't bother to translate more than a few lines)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 10, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Question about the demo:

Is it meant to violently close when you end up in that "The End" room?

EDIT Apparently it's not, that was a weirdly timed silent crash.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

univbee posted:

Question about the demo:

Is it meant to violently close when you end up in that "The End" room?

EDIT Apparently it's not, that was a weirdly timed silent crash.

My game also crashed there

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
No, it's not supposed to end there. The ending involves an elevator.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
Oh is this a new release of that Source mod from last year or so? Looks pretty cool, but the original game thing, while fantastic, was very short. Is this significantly larger?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Broand posted:

Oh is this a new release of that Source mod from last year or so? Looks pretty cool, but the original game thing, while fantastic, was very short. Is this significantly larger?

We don't know yet, but from promotional screenshots it does look very much expanded. The demo at least is 20-25 minutes long and completely standalone which is almost half of the length of a full playthrough of the original (getting all the endings), so I would definitely expect it to be longer.

At the very least all the additional content they've put out surrounding the game has been brilliant enough for it to justify me buying the game!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The Stanley Parable demo does actually have an achievement attached to it, not just the fake cup in bin one.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I really enjoyed the HL2 mod and had no idea they were working on a bigger project. I'm so in that I'm in.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Geokinesis posted:

The Stanley Parable demo does actually have an achievement attached to it, not just the fake cup in bin one.

It's the same achievement, it just re-locks. If you open the overlay right after getting it you can see it there. I wanted to put it in my showcase but that doesn't work. :(

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I played the Half Life 2 mod ages ago and had no idea they were making a full release. The demo had me grinning from ear to ear. Day One purchase.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Haha this was really great. I do enjoy the flavor dialogue. Probably my favorite is doing
Just spamming the number 8. The fact they had the narrator have alot of dialogue for it was pretty hilarious. Not to mention the fact he eventually basically gives up. Oh and having the cup stuck on the raft.

I can't wait for the full game.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Tamba posted:

My game also crashed there

Me three. Not really keen on playing it all over again, even though it was only 10 minutes or so. It might crash again at the same time, and then, what have I gained? How much more is there to see?

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

I have no idea what I just played, or what the game is supposed to be about.

But it is amazing.

You guys said it used to be a source mod? Should I play that one first before buying the game? And why can't they do pre-orders?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I asked him on twitter for a friend about pretty much the same thing. He says that he'd recommend to wait for the new game because it does incorporate things from the old mod (though there is new content in the new game) + if you play it so soon before picking up the remake it "probably but not entirely" will feel like replaying the old mod.

Also twitter sucks for longer thoughts and questions, why exactly do people use it anymore I don't know

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rocode posted:

You guys said it used to be a source mod? Should I play that one first before buying the game? And why can't they do pre-orders?

Based on the Steam Store, it looks like the full game will be free, so that's probably why. There's no price for it currently.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBA Starblade posted:

Based on the Steam Store, it looks like the full game will be free, so that's probably why. There's no price for it currently.

The narrator definitely mentioned "paying real world money for the game" in the demo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just assumed that line was part of the joke.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I asked on twitter and the dev I was talking to said they would announce the price in a week. It would be pretty cool if they did release it for free though!

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

I got a force close at the end too, missing the achievement. Thought it was intentional, not sure if the force close was or if I did something that other people didn't. Hard to tell, and that, I love!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
On my playthough it showed the "The Stanley Parable" and the release date then closed and went to the Steam store.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oenis posted:

Me three. Not really keen on playing it all over again, even though it was only 10 minutes or so. It might crash again at the same time, and then, what have I gained? How much more is there to see?
There's a playthrough of the demo posted earlier in the thread. It's pretty linear after where you got to so you won't really miss anything by watching it.

Edit: Wait, I might actually be getting mixed up, sorry.

TACD fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 11, 2013

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have no idea what this crazy thing is or what all the spoilered text above says but the OP seemed kinda schizophrenic, and I like that, so I'm grabbing the demo now.

E: What in the hell did I just...what. It's hilarious and I have no idea what just happened. Looking forward to the full game.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 11, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, that sure was something. I must have this game(?) The narrator's voice is great.

ymgve posted:

Someone found a demo secret (which is unrelated to the numbers above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBP7em9buas

I'm pleased I found this all by myself, though it doesn't seem that hard to find.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I played the original version back in the day and loved it. I just played the demo and I have to say that it was the best demo ever made. Like seriously, my jaw dropped about halfway through with how goddamn well written the dialogue is. I used to think Gone Home was my GOTY, but I think this might edge it out. I just wish I could preorder it.
And it looks loving amazing, is it still Source engine or did something get updated?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Hi, I did something stupid while trying to set the resolution to 1920x1080 and now the game doesn't appear on my screen. I can hear sound effects, but my screen is blank. I don't know if this is some crazy part of the game. Reinstalling it doesn't help. The hell do I do?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That is weird, I use the same resolution and it works fine on my system.
It might be hanging when it tries to display the extra pixels. Try reinstalling and picking a lower resolution. You may want to submit a bug report to the devs too.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

That's the problem; reinstalling it doesn't wipe the old settings. It's still trying to display it at a resolution that my computer doesn't like for some reason.

I'm certain there's some stupid .txt file somewhere in steamapps where I can go in and manually set the resolution but I'll be hosed if I can find it. It's poo poo like this that makes me want to murder the god drat cloud. I don't need every loving thing I do to a game preserved for all history on some server somewhere. For the love of god, let me walk this back to before I hosed everything up.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
drat, yeah I'd go look in the Steamapps subdirectory folder for the game and nuke that poo poo. I noticed that Steam likes to hang on to config poo poo even after you have supposedly deleted a game.
Sorry it's not working, it's an amazing demo.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Dreadwroth posted:

And it looks loving amazing, is it still Source engine or did something get updated?

No that's still the Source Engine. It's been getting incremental updates since it appeared.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Great great demo. The game didn't work on my pc with a 360 controller, I could move fine, but the right stick didn't allow me to change my view vertically. I also couldn't activate anything, so I ended up clicking with the mouse. Anyone know a fix for this problem?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Okay, this is the videogame equivalent of Duck Amuck. Big laughs. Excellent flow. Good, good, great.

Day one purchase.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

That's the problem; reinstalling it doesn't wipe the old settings. It's still trying to display it at a resolution that my computer doesn't like for some reason.

I'm certain there's some stupid .txt file somewhere in steamapps where I can go in and manually set the resolution but I'll be hosed if I can find it. It's poo poo like this that makes me want to murder the god drat butt. I don't need every loving thing I do to a game preserved for all history on some server somewhere. For the love of god, let me walk this back to before I hosed everything up.

Look in Steam\SteamApps\common\The Stanley Parable Demo\thestanleyparabledemo\cfg\video.txt for the settings. It's weird that it's actually in a txt file instead of a cfg but there it is. If that doesn't work then try forcing a window with the -windowed launch parameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The Stanley Parable is to games and gamers, what The Black Mirror is to television and television viewers, and I love it for it.

• Locked thread