Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

HopperUK posted:

Reminds me of some of the creepier stuff from crazy internet people like the Final Fantasy House.

I thought that guy who lost $242,000,000 of his bank's money to a Nigerian scam was the most gullible person in human history until today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Just saw this one on CNN and it's pretty horrifying.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/us/georgia-gym-mat-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A 17 year old boy dies under unusual circumstances and his parents receive his body back from the ME/Funeral home, only to discover that all of his internal organs are missing and have been replaced with wads of newspaper. Of course he was young and black, so I imagine the county will get right to reopening the case and investigating what happened to his body.

I'm waiting to hear this is just an urban legend, because all I can think of is black market organ trade.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

into the void posted:

A 17 year old boy dies under unusual circumstances and his parents receive his body back from the ME/Funeral home, only to discover that all of his internal organs are missing and have been replaced with wads of newspaper. Of course he was young and black, so I imagine the county will get right to reopening the case and investigating what happened to his body.

I'm waiting to hear this is just an urban legend, because all I can think of is black market organ trade.

Viability of organs is a pretty narrow window, and currently, the brain is not an organ we can do much with. Kid wasn't harvested, especially because they didn't take his bones and replace them with conduit.

Personally, and I'm not in the industry, but you get the kinda lazy guy looping long stitches down the kid's belly, checks the clock, looks back, ties the stitch, starts to move to the skull, and pow, little sack of organs he forgot to put in. Gently shuts his eyes and leans on the table and breathes deep, then opens his eyes, looks at his stitches, looks at the clock, does a funny thing with his hands like "fuuuuuck off".

Then spends the next ten minutes working harder than he needs to cheating, you know? Threading newspaper into the kids belly through a big loopy stitch he's pried, regretting forgetting, regretting cheating at this point, but the cheating you know, has become the mission of the hour, and finally satisfied, he covers the kid up, and leaves, flicking the bag of organs into the incinerator chute and flicking his gloves into the trashcan, shaking his head, like, "fuuuuuucking hell" and hoping that someone stole some milk in the kitchenette from the offices upstairs.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Trilineatus posted:

From waaaaaay back in the thread, but after having read this, I may never be happy again :saddowns:

It's terrible how many people drowned trying to save others and ended up as just an additional victim.

Look at it this way: look at how many people were willing to risk their own lives so someone else may get another chance. Humanity's nature is better than we often think it is. :unsmith:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Unfortunately there's no wikipedia page for the story I am about to post, which I find kind of bizarre, because it definitely deserves a place there. I couldn't find one, at least.

There's a Vanity Fair article on it (I have no clue whether VF is a good or bad thing) but everything else I've found have been links to news stories from the time. The story takes place in Manchester, England, in around 2002/03. The boys involved, who, by order of the judge in the eventual trial can never be identified, are known only as 'John' and 'Mark'. John is 14, Mark 16.

The real story is in the depth of deception involved, which the article elaborates on more than I could here. It's an incredible story. Like something from Tales of the Unexpected.

This is a pro click. One of the best things I've seen in the thread recently.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Yep, that's an absolutely fantastic and enthralling article, thanks for posting it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ I remember reading about that a dew years ago it really is a interesting story.
To all the people calling the kid dumb remember two things...
1/ He was 15/16 while this was going on, just remember what a dumb oval office you were back then.

2/ 2000-2003 was when home internet became affordable (£15-£25pm) here in the UK. so a lot of kids were thrown in the deep end without having years to get used to how much bullshit and manipulation is used by weird fucks online.

There's actually a movie about the whole thing that's just recently came out called uwantme2killhim?.
Don't know if it's any good.

And for a similar story there's this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184539/The-girl-boys-I-idea-boyfriend-girl.html
There was a good Channel 4 documentary about the case which appears to have been taken down off everything.

quote:

In March this year Barker was jailed for two-and-a-half years after she dressed as a boy to deceive a string a teenage girls into going on dates with her.
The victims, aged 15 and 16, believed they had found the perfect boyfriends in Connor McCormack and Aaron Lampard - who they believed were their age.
Guildford Crown Court heard how Barker, 20, duped the girls, their parents and police by wearing baggy clothes, hats and speaking in a deeper voice.
Even when one of her alter egos was arrested, it wasn’t until police gave her a male strip search that they realised ‘he’ was in fact a girl.
Aaron and Connor were ‘born’ in 2009 when Barker created fake Facebook profiles with which to lure her teenage friends on dates.

Alice and Aaron began a relationship with Alice agreeing eventually to hand over her innocence to the ‘boy’ she believed she had fallen in love with.
She said: 'When we obviously first had sex, I thought it was normal to like not wanna take your clothes off, and being in complete darkness.
'It’s embarrassing like. It was the first time, like, I didn’t really know what to expect. I don’t think he did either. But he was nice about it. He didn’t hurt me, so...he was nice.

It's only a page long and odd as hell.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

obscurer en tut posted:

It's a photocopy of a magazine article that I made years ago, when I found the account in a library. The author is named Martin Cannon. Right after the call from Number Man he ended up talking to a very sexy-sounding female voice on the loop lines who tried to convince him that she was a stripper from Montreal who thought he might be the love of her life and wanted him to come meet her, and he was so rattled by the obvious attempt to pump him for info that he threw away the tape and stopped phone phreaking.

Sorry to double post but this for some reason terrifies me because it seems just what some lazy spy/CIA/MI6 type would do.
"He's a nerd I bet he never gets laid I've got a idea, hey Sarah do your sexy voice on this next call. we'll get the little bastard."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

into the void posted:

Holy poo poo that is horrible. I remember when the story first broke. About the kid dying not the organ thing. If I'm not mistaken one of the kids who was suspected of causing the death had a parent in law enforcement and the whole case was handheld awfully. This is just another sick piece of the puzzle.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

^ I remember reading about that a dew years ago it really is a interesting story.
1/ He was 15/16 while this was going on, just remember what a dumb oval office you were back then.

I was a dumb loving oval office at 16, but I wouldn't believe this bullshit threaded Secret Services and rapist story for a second at 13 let alone at an age where I can legally drive.

He was gullible, but lots of people are, I guess. It's a case of two people unfortunate to meet each other and bounce off of.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

You think that kid was gullible? Check this poo poo out:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hendy-Freegard

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
That Vanity Fair article reminds me of this case, though I can only find a page for the documentary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talhotblond

Internet love triangle leading to a homicide, in which the only somewhat honest person is the victim.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Have we talked about the Sodder children?

A family suffers a devastating house fire on Christmas Eve, in which five of ten children are lost. However, there was all sorts of weirdness leading up to the fire, and the bodies were never found, which was unusual for the circumstances.

The parents never gave up hope that the children had been kidnapped and were still out there somewhere, erecting a billboard with the children's images on it, hiring private detectives, and tirelessly appealing to the police and FBI.

Twenty years after the event, one of the surviving sisters received an unmarked letter in the mail. Inside was a photograph with a cryptic message on the back, strongly resembling an older version of one of her lost brothers. It never led to anything, and as of now only the baby of the family is still alive. She was two at the time of the event, and the night of the fire is her first memory :smith:

Whether or not they were kidnapped or perished in the fire, the story is pretty unnerving and sad.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Volume posted:

Holy poo poo that is horrible. I remember when the story first broke. About the kid dying not the organ thing. If I'm not mistaken one of the kids who was suspected of causing the death had a parent in law enforcement and the whole case was handheld awfully. This is just another sick piece of the puzzle.

The moment I saw the picture of the boy I thought, "Hmm, young black kid with dreadlocks died under unusual circumstances? I bet that investigation was thorough with no stone left unturned!" :/

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
From the last page but

Brother Jonathan posted:

BSAA Star Dust accident

On August 2nd, 1947, an airliner flying from Buenos Aires to Santiago went missing. The last transmission from the airplane made it famous:

I actually found out about this from an old Photoshop Phriday. The theme was "video game anagrams."

Edit: Doing some thinking and basic googling I found a morse code alphabet, and learned how morse code itself works: a dot is one "unit" of time, while a dash is three units. Parts of the same letter are spaced one unit apart, while letters are spaced three units apart. Anyway I made a comparison between "DESCENT" and "STENDEC," taking into account the the spacing.

code:
DESCENT --- . .   .   . . .   --- . --- .   .   --- .   ---

STENDEC . . .   ---   .   --- .   --- . .   .   --- . --- .
Certain parts of the transmission are similar, particularly near the end. Note the lone dot "e" near the end of both words at the same time, and the N and T in DESCENT merging to become the C in STENDEC.

Given the similarities between both words in morse code, and the threat of oxygen deprivation at that altitude, it's highly likely that the pilot just had a brainfart.

Segmentation Fault has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Oct 11, 2013

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Hrm, five pages, too much sorry I'm not reading five pages.

Maybe this documentary, which I went and looked for just now, just for you, is a better option (although it's an entire fifty minutes long! Fifty!)

I'm capable of reading five pages, being an English lecturer and all. I didn't want to bother reading five pages of boring bullshit and wasn't in a position to search for it myself, which is why I asked politely if they could sum it up further. The real issue here is why you're being such a grumpy jackass?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Tibor posted:

I'm capable of reading five pages, being an English lecturer and all. I didn't want to bother reading five pages of boring bullshit and wasn't in a position to search for it myself, which is why I asked politely if they could sum it up further. The real issue here is why you're being such a grumpy jackass?

:ironicat: No need to throw a hissy fit, dude. He didn't exactly crucify you with that last comment and no one is questioning your integrity as an English lecturer. I thought the article was pretty much the opposite of boring bullshit; it's an easy read and an interesting topic. Maybe just shrug and click a different scary link next time someone posts something that you think is too long?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Have we talked about the Sodder children?

A family suffers a devastating house fire on Christmas Eve, in which five of ten children are lost. However, there was all sorts of weirdness leading up to the fire, and the bodies were never found, which was unusual for the circumstances.

The parents never gave up hope that the children had been kidnapped and were still out there somewhere, erecting a billboard with the children's images on it, hiring private detectives, and tirelessly appealing to the police and FBI.

Twenty years after the event, one of the surviving sisters received an unmarked letter in the mail. Inside was a photograph with a cryptic message on the back, strongly resembling an older version of one of her lost brothers. It never led to anything, and as of now only the baby of the family is still alive. She was two at the time of the event, and the night of the fire is her first memory :smith:

Whether or not they were kidnapped or perished in the fire, the story is pretty unnerving and sad.

I'd never heard of this case! Good read.

It's always so sad to read about the investigations surrounding missing children. They're always so hopeless. :smith:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

into the void posted:

My guess is probably just someone being lazy/incompetent at the funeral home rather than any organ trade thing. The kid was found already dead, so his organs would have been useless in pretty short order. When you don't do your job right and there are corpses involved things get pretty messed up really fast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Crematory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Glory_Funeral_Home_scandal

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Unfortunately there's no wikipedia page for the story I am about to post, which I find kind of bizarre, because it definitely deserves a place there. I couldn't find one, at least.

There's a Vanity Fair article on it (I have no clue whether VF is a good or bad thing) but everything else I've found have been links to news stories from the time. The story takes place in Manchester, England, in around 2002/03. The boys involved, who, by order of the judge in the eventual trial can never be identified, are known only as 'John' and 'Mark'. John is 14, Mark 16.

The real story is in the depth of deception involved, which the article elaborates on more than I could here. It's an incredible story. Like something from Tales of the Unexpected.

Lovely bit of random universal healthcare bashing in the opening second paragraph there.

edit: Though a really interesting story - that article is written from a pretty lovely basis, especially when the reporter takes the time to moan about the (imo fairly sensible) British anonymity laws regarding child defendants followed by an explanation on how exactly how to find out the victims' identities with Google.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Oct 11, 2013

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I thought that was odd too, and like, it's kind of become the most memorable part of the article to me, mostly because the rest of the article is all Catfishy, including the bit where they say how smart the plot the boy spun is, woo, what creativity, but spent the entire article on how wickedly stupid every single aspect of his plotting was.

It's just poorly written.

But anyway, the thing you mentioned is seriously in the second paragraph.

I don't recall this being posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitum_Cave

It's a giant old cave in a cliff where elephants like to go and sharpen their tusks, die, and otherwise hang out. It has such festive attractions as a gorge filled with corpses of clumsy elephants, tens of thousands of bats, piles of guano, and a sexy little virus rumoured to be airborne in there, riding on the dust of ancient bat poo poo, named after the German city Marburg, that'll clot your blood and bloat your body and oh, oh you'll just straight up rupture.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

into the void posted:

Holy poo poo I'm not that interested in funeral home shenanigans so I didn't read that initially. The circumstances of the kids death are way more disturbing. They found him headfirst in a rolled up gym mat and assumed he reached in there to grab something and couldn't get out(asphyxiation). Then a few days ago an autopsy found that he has blunt force trauma and it was ruled a murder. So probably he got in a fight with some kid in the gym and got punched out or something, then the other kid got scared and threw him in the gym mat and walked away.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
On STENDEC:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Given the similarities between both words in morse code, and the threat of oxygen deprivation at that altitude, it's highly likely that the pilot just had a brainfart.

Of all of the theories, the "DESCENT" one has always sounded the most plausible.

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

Helmacron posted:

I thought that was odd too, and like, it's kind of become the most memorable part of the article to me, mostly because the rest of the article is all Catfishy, including the bit where they say how smart the plot the boy spun is, woo, what creativity, but spent the entire article on how wickedly stupid every single aspect of his plotting was.

It's just poorly written.

But anyway, the thing you mentioned is seriously in the second paragraph.

I don't recall this being posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitum_Cave

It's a giant old cave in a cliff where elephants like to go and sharpen their tusks, die, and otherwise hang out. It has such festive attractions as a gorge filled with corpses of clumsy elephants, tens of thousands of bats, piles of guano, and a sexy little virus rumoured to be airborne in there, riding on the dust of ancient bat poo poo, named after the German city Marburg, that'll clot your blood and bloat your body and oh, oh you'll just straight up rupture.

Holy poo poo, I was just there this summer. I had no idea about the Marburg connection.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

2/ 2000-2003 was when home internet became affordable (£15-£25pm) here in the UK. so a lot of kids were thrown in the deep end without having years to get used to how much bullshit and manipulation is used by weird fucks online.

There's actually a movie about the whole thing that's just recently came out called uwantme2killhim?.
Don't know if it's any good.

That John kid needs to be kept in a small box, away from everyone/thing. He's a sociopath. Ideally he'd be put down.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I'd heard of Mengele escaping to South America after WWII but never realized that there was an entire organized system to shunt Nazis from Europe to points unknown, (supposedly) with the aid of the Vatican: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratlines_%28World_War_II%29

Which also includes a link to Operation Paperclip, where the US decided certain war crimes were negotiable.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Maybe just shrug and click a different scary link next time someone posts something that you think is too long?

Or just ask them to explain it a little more if they can because I wasn't able to spare the time or search for it myself? Oh wait that's what I did and apparently that means I'm incapable of reading five pages or paying attention to a video. You can't deny it was an unnecessarily aggravated comment from someone who wasn't even involved.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Prof. Moriarty posted:

Holy poo poo, I was just there this summer. I had no idea about the Marburg connection.

Also possibly Ebola, it's less fun cousin!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Khazar-khum posted:

That John kid needs to be kept in a small box, away from everyone/thing. He's a sociopath. Ideally he'd be put down.

Yeah man we should just kill all mentally ill people

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

My guess is probably just someone being lazy/incompetent at the funeral home rather than any organ trade thing. The kid was found already dead, so his organs would have been useless in pretty short order. When you don't do your job right and there are corpses involved things get pretty messed up really fast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Crematory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Glory_Funeral_Home_scandal

For those who might be interested in the funeral home shenanigans side of things:

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/body-snatchers/ This is an incident where hundreds of cadavers were harvested of bone, skin, etc. The kicker being not only that these people and their families had given no consent but that they were totally unsuitable: decades too old, died of hepatitis or sepsis or HIV. Then their tissue went into patients all over the country.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Tibor posted:

Or just ask them to explain it a little more if they can because I wasn't able to spare the time or search for it myself? Oh wait that's what I did and apparently that means I'm incapable of reading five pages or paying attention to a video. You can't deny it was an unnecessarily aggravated comment from someone who wasn't even involved.

I posted the article though, mate. Sorry if I seemed a bit arsey, I didn't mean to. Let's all be friends. :tipshat:

e: well I probably did mean to, at the time, but I regret it already sorry pal.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Tibor posted:

Tibor posted:

Can't you just like... try to sum it up? It's five pages long and I don't have a clue what the gently caress from the bits you quoted. I'm sure there's more to it but all I can gather is a boy asked another boy to kill him and he tried to, which doesn't sound interesting at all.

Go back and read what you wrote and try to figure out why people think you're mad about :siren:five whole pages:siren: You're an English teacher, use your context clues!

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Tibor posted:

gently caress me, why won't I just shut the gently caress up?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Tibor posted:

I take back what I said earlier about not wanting to impugn your fitness as an English lecturer.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Can we please can back to horrifying unsolved murders and equaling horrifying diseases?

Here's one of my favorite little known psychiatric disorders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foile_a_deux

I only heard about it in passing, until I saw a documentary about these two ladies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson
The documentary is "Madness in the Fast Lane" which is a terrible title, but a fascinating watch.

Edit: http://documentarystorm.com/madness-in-the-fast-lane/

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RNG posted:

I'd heard of Mengele escaping to South America after WWII but never realized that there was an entire organized system to shunt Nazis from Europe to points unknown, (supposedly) with the aid of the Vatican: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratlines_%28World_War_II%29

Which also includes a link to Operation Paperclip, where the US decided certain war crimes were negotiable.

There is a good book called Hunting Eichmann that's about how Eichmann (arguably, the architect of the Holocaust) escaped Germany during the fall and made it to the Americas. But despite what you may think about Boys from Brazil style supervillain lairs and Nazi's living out comfortable lives it was far from that. Despite being a very high ranking member of the Reich, Eichmann lived in squalor in a house he built himself with no electricity or hot water. It's pretty depressing poo poo about a guy living in poverty clinging to despicable ideology but then it's also peppered with some real life James Bond spy stuff.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Since we're posting folie a deux cases, here's a couple of interesting ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_David_Coughlin

Two young men from Boston, who were best friends from childhood, go camping in the California desert before they start grad school. They become lost in the desert and are woefully underprepared, with no food and very little water. They lick dew from rocks and eat unripe cactus fruit while they hike around in circles and wait for rescue.

Four days later they're found by park rangers. One man, Raffi Kodikian, is alive. The other man, David Coughlin, is dead, stabbed in the chest by Kodikian and buried under a pile of rocks. Kodikian claims that it was a mercy killing and that Coughlin, in agony from dehydration, begged for death and so Kodikian finally obliged before cutting his own wrists. But Kodikian's injuries are no more than scratches, an autopsy shows that Coughlin was moderately dehydrated but his condition was nowhere near life-threatening, and less than a hundred yards from their campsite was a butte that overlooked a paved National Park Service road that led to a ranger station and safety. Some of the rocks Kodikian used to build the cairn over Coughlin's body weighed upwards of seventy pounds, much too heavy for a man in the desperate condition Kodikian claims he was in to have lifted, and when he was admitted to the hospital after rescue, doctors find that he's in unusually good physical condition for his claimed ordeal. Raffi Kodikian stands trial for murder, but because there is no shred anywhere of a motive, no sign of bad blood or ill will between him and Coughlin, his best friend for years, he's acquitted. Were the two just unbelievably stupid tenderfoots, or did Raffi Kodikian commit murder and get away with it?

Then there are the Swedish twins who had a simultaneous psychotic break on a motorway in the UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson

quote:

The twins had been in Ireland before travelling to England and boarding a coach for London at Liverpool. Their odd behaviour after exiting the coach at a service station on the M6 – including not allowing the bags they were clutching to be searched – caused the driver not to allow them back on the coach. The two were later seen on the central reservation of the M6. When Highways Agency Traffic Officers arrived to assist the women, they ran across the busy motorway. Shortly after police arrived the women again ran on to the motorway and were struck by oncoming vehicles, with Ursula suffering serious leg injuries and Sabina a head injury that left her unconscious for several minutes. When Sabina regained consciousness, she refused medical aid and attacked a police officer, at which point she was arrested. Appearing calm, although a bit "odd", as she was processed by police in Stoke-on-Trent, she was therefore released from custody. Shortly afterward she was taken in by Hollinshead, whom she later stabbed to death in an apparently unprovoked attack. She was pursued by police and arrested after jumping from a bridge onto a busy trunk road, and later pleaded guilty to manslaughter with diminished responsibility.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6agXn3fVnRs

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

obscurer en tut posted:

The Gus Van Sant movie Gerry was inspired by this story.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

obscurer en tut posted:

Then there are the Swedish twins who had a simultaneous psychotic break on a motorway in the UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson

Literally two posts above you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

obscurer en tut posted:

Two young men from Boston, who were best friends from childhood, go camping in the California desert before they start grad school. They become lost in the desert and are woefully underprepared, with no food and very little water. They lick dew from rocks and eat unripe cactus fruit while they hike around in circles and wait for rescue.

Four days later they're found by park rangers. One man, Raffi Kodikian, is alive. The other man, David Coughlin, is dead, stabbed in the chest by Kodikian and buried under a pile of rocks. Kodikian claims that it was a mercy killing and that Coughlin, in agony from dehydration, begged for death and so Kodikian finally obliged before cutting his own wrists. But Kodikian's injuries are no more than scratches, an autopsy shows that Coughlin was moderately dehydrated but his condition was nowhere near life-threatening, and less than a hundred yards from their campsite was a butte that overlooked a paved National Park Service road that led to a ranger station and safety. Some of the rocks Kodikian used to build the cairn over Coughlin's body weighed upwards of seventy pounds, much too heavy for a man in the desperate condition Kodikian claims he was in to have lifted, and when he was admitted to the hospital after rescue, doctors find that he's in unusually good physical condition for his claimed ordeal. Raffi Kodikian stands trial for murder, but because there is no shred anywhere of a motive, no sign of bad blood or ill will between him and Coughlin, his best friend for years, he's acquitted. Were the two just unbelievably stupid tenderfoots, or did Raffi Kodikian commit murder and get away with it?

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6agXn3fVnRs

Wow, I hadn't heard about those two guys. I wonder if sun exposure and stress made them go a little loopy.

• Locked thread