Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I know exactly what you mean. The only character I have who feels like they've gained any strength is my female monk amd that's mostly due to hilariously OP team attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mokinokaro posted:

I think you just need to level one up now. Star unlocks at 30 or 40.

D2 is definitely a bit tougher than earlier games. I've found that I need to keep everyone around the same level a lot more (only halfway through chapter 2) and money is a lot tighter early on. The cheat shop isn't much help when it can only increase stuff to 110% currently. Item world is still locked which doesn't help either.

:psyduck:

Halfway through Chapter 2, I'm pretty sure you can still solo maps with Laharl, only using your other dudes as a tower to throw him into the sweet spots for landing attacks. And then soaking some hits and dying while they ignore Laharl.

His Evility is awesome for having him be your overleveled guy - he gets 5% bonus stats for landing the killing blow on an enemy. If he's already a bit ahead, this makes it so stuff hits him for 0 pretty quickly. At least early on where you still are.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

Halfway through Chapter 2, I'm pretty sure you can still solo maps with Laharl, only using your other dudes as a tower to throw him into the sweet spots for landing attacks. And then soaking some hits and dying while they ignore Laharl.

It's funny as the AI seems to make a beeline for Laharl every time I bring him out, comboing him to death as fast as possible while ignoring any other characters I bring out. He's stuck a bit underlevelled due to it.

Etna (spear) and Flonne (with a bow) are holding their own quite well.

EDIT: I was wrong about the mages, btw. All mages start learning star magic at the 3rd tier. There is no need for a prism/galaxy mage if you reincarnate or student/pupil the other elements.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mokinokaro posted:

D2 is definitely a bit tougher than earlier games. I've found that I need to keep everyone around the same level a lot more (only halfway through chapter 2) and money is a lot tighter early on. The cheat shop isn't much help when it can only increase stuff to 110% currently. Item world is still locked which doesn't help either.

Money feels tighter but I actually think this one is easier than 4 outside of a couple difficult fights in chapter (I think) 3. That might be because I fought the bonus missions and unlocked the extra story characters as soon as they became available, though. First unlockable bonus character spoiler Asagi's levels are hard as poo poo when you first unlock them. But having her on your team and just the levels you get from beating those stages made the following chapters feel simple. By the time I got to the second bonus stage unlockable through the court I practically cleared it in one turn because of how strong I was. Are you using the cheat shop? Set your mana to the minimum and use the points to max out both Hel and XP gains while going through the story. It makes a pretty big difference.

Also, this game just seems more focused on evilities than the previous ones. Really knowing your evilities and checking the evilities of your enemies before running into battle makes a huge difference. Some enemy evilities are really dangerous like the 75% damage reduction ones and the masked hero's crazy evasion gain one, and abusing Laharl/Etna/Flonne's evilities is the difference between victory and defeat many times. I actually have 2 level 1 geo sages with different evilities hanging out on my roster to bring out for one turn when activating geo chains, for instance.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Thank god you only need one mage class now. Leveling 3 three mages to get the star element is a like pulling teeth.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

All of the streamlined changes so far are really good. I love the automatic diagonal throws.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DrManiac posted:

All of the streamlined changes so far are really good. I love the automatic diagonal throws.

Oh yes, getting through item world floors is slightly less annoying now.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Being able to steal without hands as a thief is a gamechanger for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My biggest complaint is that the fastest way to catch up a new character is to do tower attacks, which means accidentally overlevelling the rest of your team.

I was also kind of hoping that a return to Laharl/Etna/flonne would also mean a return to the incredibly entertaining dialogue/story from the first game, but I suppose that was really expecting too much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The writing in the series hasn't really matched the first in any of the sequels. It makes me wonder if some of the writers of Disgaea 1 left the company.

Also, if you don't want to overlevel as much use mounts instead of tower attacks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I dunno, I thought that Disgaea 4's writing was easily on the same level as the first's.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So, another reason to save before each map during story mode - I got what would have been a game over on a map, and instead of getting actual Game Over, it played a 'bad' alternate ending, then started me back over at Chapter 1. Glad I had just saved, or that would have pissed me off royally.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Most Disgaea games allow you extra features once you complete a playthrough.

Note that I didn't use the magic word 'clear': for most of the useful stuff, any credits screen counts.

On a tangentially related note, how there's no :xcom:-style Disgaea emote yet I have no clue.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 10, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Devor posted:

So, another reason to save before each map during story mode - I got what would have been a game over on a map, and instead of getting actual Game Over, it played a 'bad' alternate ending, then started me back over at Chapter 1. Glad I had just saved, or that would have pissed me off royally.

No idea if it was just 4 that's done it but in that game every "final map" of a chapter had a bad ending that auto restarted you. It's super annoying.

They're fun to see but whoever thought "yeah they lost this one fight make em redo everything" is a idiot. Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a Majin class that you have to do 2 playthroughs for?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No idea if it was just 4 that's done it but in that game every "final map" of a chapter had a bad ending that auto restarted you. It's super annoying.

They're fun to see but whoever thought "yeah they lost this one fight make em redo everything" is a idiot. Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a Majin class that you have to do 2 playthroughs for?

On the Majin: there isn't, or if there is it's not in the strategy guide. However, after clearing the final episode and seeing the true ending, Etna can acquire the Evility The Last Majin, which doubles all her stats as long as all deployed allies are Prinnies.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can't you just load your last save?

Also, from 2 pages back:

Kharmakazy posted:

Are there any switches or anything to find in D4? I just started this and the information online seems to be sparse compared to the earlier entries in the series.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kharmakazy posted:

Can't you just load your last save?

Also, from 2 pages back:

Yeah, if I recall it asks you to save over your most recent file (if it's like D4 anyway) so it'll catch a lot of people playing for the first time.

Still annoying to deal with though.

As for switches I found the one behind the throne in D2 but it didn't really do anything, bit bummed that Etna's chamber is just a passing reference now.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Prism posted:

On the Majin: there isn't, or if there is it's not in the strategy guide. However, after clearing the final episode and seeing the true ending, Etna can acquire the Evility The Last Majin, which doubles all her stats as long as all deployed allies are Prinnies.
About that, are there any Evilities or owt you can unlock by getting a different ending? I've just got the bad ending from being defeated by Xenolift after a misadventure with combo attacks but I don't think I unlocked anything from it. Should I bother getting any of the other endings or should I just rush for the True one to unlock that ability and then just wait on the final episode to do all the postgame stuff?

Also, here's an interesting exploit I discovered regarding boosting a monsters stats. Spoilered for mechanical spoilers I guess.

If you have two dragons and at least one character who can cast an elemental spell every turn then you can in theory boost one dragons stats up as high as you want for one map.

In order to do this, you need one Dragon with the element nullify Evility (the battery) and one Dragon with the element charge Evility (the attack dragon) and at least one character with the ability to cast an elemental spell every turn without running out of SP. I think the quickest way to get this is to create a mage with at least 40 SP and the Evility that regenerates 10% of their SP at the end of the turn. That way the mage will lose 4 SP casting the spell and then gain at least 4 SP at the end of the turn

If you cast an elemental spell on the battery then the attack dragon will gain 5% to all stats. This means that for each mage you have, the attack dragon will gain 5% to all stats every turn and as the charge dragon will never take any damage and the mages will never run out of SP then you can just repeat this every turn, like some sort of perpetual dragon buffing machine.

I've not actually found a use for this yet but it's pretty cool. It might be useful in the item world if you need to take down a powerful item boss I guess?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Is it me or do the enemies in D2 really really love poison? nearly half of all enemies can inflict it, pumpkins can inflict it with just a normal attack, and several enemies have evilities that either boost infliction rate or the damage it does. i practically need another priest who's sole job is to cast espior in the item world because not 1 match goes by where something somewhere inflicts poison on my team.

Is there anything that actually helps you resist status effects? that would kinda be helpful right now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Previous Disgaea games have had the Pharmacist Innocent, which ups Poison resistance.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Pepper posted:

Previous Disgaea games have had the Pharmacist Innocent, which ups Poison resistance.

This one does too. Lanterns can also be immune if you're using one; one of their Evilities is Reverse Ailment so they actually get healed from it. I can't think of any other evilities I've seen that modify poison.

shy7
Oct 21, 2010

Tengames posted:

Is it me or do the enemies in D2 really really love poison? nearly half of all enemies can inflict it, pumpkins can inflict it with just a normal attack, and several enemies have evilities that either boost infliction rate or the damage it does. i practically need another priest who's sole job is to cast espior in the item world because not 1 match goes by where something somewhere inflicts poison on my team.

Is there anything that actually helps you resist status effects? that would kinda be helpful right now.

The Alraune (the flower monsters) have an evility that cures all nearby allies of their status ailments and heals for 15% at the end of each turn.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Does anyone know any stages where you can get the enemies to be exactly level 99 by messing with the enemy ranks?

E: I know you can on 6-1 by getting cat kicked all over the place is super loving annoying

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 11, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ha ha ha, the end of prinny land

man, this is just making me depressed. Let's go home. Part 1?!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

yellowcar posted:

Thank god you only need one mage class now. Leveling 3 three mages to get the star element is a like pulling teeth.

edit: I see you can use the Dark Assembly to change affinity whenever you want, which I suppose would get your one mage dude learning the other elemental spells...
double-edit... you can change personality & evility, but not elemental affinity. While you only need one mage to reach the 'star' spells, if you actually want to unlock the proper elemental spells, it still has to be done with 3 separate mages.

I've found a happy grinding spot that's really eased up the difficulty in the early game. 2-2 "Frozen River" may not have any +EXP geo bonuses, but it does have some dirt-stupid AI to exploit and makes for a great single-unit development spot. There's a fence that protrudes to the center of the map, and as long as your character can make it onto the end of it, they'll be off the ATK -50 ground tiles. Put yourself on top of, and at the end of that fence, and here's where the magic happens.

Zombies in the map will come at you. The fencepost you're on is too high for a standard attack from three sides, but zombies that flank you there will just stand there and do nothing. Zombies that come around your back to the elevation where they can hit you, *won't actually hit you on the round they climb up to reach you*. You can either pick units off one at a time, or you can throw-stack them into a huge, unmoving zombie that you can leisurely burn down.
There's a shaman in the map that can present the only potential issues, but I've been using Flonne and Sicily to toss out espoirs and heals from the base panel, then moving out of the range that triggers the zombies at the foot of the fence to chase someone else.
Exploiting this map along with the cheat shop had made for some quick early-game levelling. It is REALLY sweet for casters with Fire magic, as the zombies are all vulnerable to it. The shaman resists it, but having an air or physical attack backup will deal with that nicely.

5er fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 11, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've never really used status ailments in previous Disgaeas, how good are Shamans now?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
How do you get a second evility?

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
The only second Evility I've seen so far requires beating the game once and then unlocking it via Dark Assembly in the Post Game using that character.

I'm assuming there's absurd level or mana requirements that get the Bill to show up for the other characters?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Definitely unlock the heavy knight as soon as possible. With her long distance defense evility she will block every single attack across the entire map. Just set her up by the base panel and have Secily buff her and Flonne heal her every turn. Laharl can then just run wild across the map gaining stat boosts and taking no damage.

She even blocks counterattacks from enemies and she'll gain levels just from taking damage. The only time she won't block is if you defend with the character that's taking the attack.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DjinnAndTonic posted:

The only second Evility I've seen so far requires beating the game once and then unlocking it via Dark Assembly in the Post Game using that character.

I'm assuming there's absurd level or mana requirements that get the Bill to show up for the other characters?

You can give any character a second Evility. First, get that character to a five-heart Likability rating with the character who has the Evility you want to transfer. Then pass a bill in the Dark Assembly for 100,000 Mana. It's something like "I Want Their Evility."

The second Evility lasts until you pass a second bill to remove it, and the character it's taken from will lose it until Reincarnated.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Wanderer posted:

You can give any character a second Evility. First, get that character to a five-heart Likability rating with the character who has the Evility you want to transfer. Then pass a bill in the Dark Assembly for 100,000 Mana. It's something like "I Want Their Evility."

The second Evility lasts until you pass a second bill to remove it, and the character it's taken from will lose it until Reincarnated.

Thanks, going to spend this weekend getting my slime the 75% resist elemental damage evility for mounted shenanigans.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Wanderer posted:

So here's a question.

Can you use it to blank out your first Evility if you don't like it for whatever reason by 'donating' it to someone else, then use I Want Their Evility twice to get two new ones?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Not as far as I know.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Loading up one caster with every offensive spell is the same wrecking machine as it was with 1 and 2. That heavy knight 'defend everywhere' is just going to make this sweeter.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Speedball posted:

I've never really used status ailments in previous Disgaeas, how good are Shamans now?

I don't know about Shamans specifically, but a lot of the Evilities seem to be geared towards building good synergies with multiple character types.

Mothmen have an evility that makes all status ailments cast have a 30% higher success rate. They also make pimp-rear end rides...

Edit: I knew about the heavy knight thing but couldn't figure out how to unlock them; I couldn't find their silhouette in the data shop. Finally I went ahead and looked it up... I guess they're female now. Explains why I couldn't find it!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 11, 2013

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I have a question about evilities while mounting. Unlike fusion/magichange, it looks like the mounting system keeps the rider and mount as two totally separate entities, including their evilities.

The Valkyrie has a pretty sweet looking evility that lets them move again after attacking, but it doesn't activate while riding because it's the mount that's moving and not the Valk. If I transfer that evility to the Valkyrie's mount, am I right to assume it still won't activate, because it's the Valk that's attacking and not the monster?

It'll be a while before I'm far enough along to test it myself.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So is 10-3 is the standard "worst map in the game" I see. I don't even know if it's possible to beat it without the RNG walking you through it. My thief is the only one who can navigate it and surprising no one by being a video game thief, if someone blows on her she explodes making it unwinnable.

Registered with Prima to see if I can figure out if I'm missing something but apparently I missed that offer. Ugh.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 11, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So is 10-3 is the standard "worst map in the game" I see. I don't even know if it's possible to beat it without the RNG walking you through it. My thief is the only one who can navigate it and surprising no one by being a video game thief, if someone blows on her she explodes making it unwinnable.

Registered with Prima to see if I can figure out if I'm missing something but apparently I missed that offer. Ugh.

Paraphrased from the strategy guide for you: Get some boots and make your high-RES guys jump higher. There are some extra purple +Jump geo symbols that can be moved to make it possible to move anyone up there, but the first cliff requires 25 Jump (before the bonus) to ascend at the beginning of the stage. You'll want to preemptively kill the Star Mages as you ascend, but the hard part will be the Humbabas with riders at the end since they have Great Wall.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

D2 reincarnation question- does it carry over the evility of the original unit if I reincarnate off tfrom the original class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Are you guys able to view the full Disgaea D2 eGuide from PrimaGames? I signed up for their site for the free eGuide, and it's just giving me some trial version that's only got one paragraph blurbs instead of the actual guide's content.

• Locked thread