Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
New thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681140

Where season 3 ended: The Governor attacks the prison, only to be lured into the walker infested tombs below. The Woodbury Army loses the will to fight and retreats. Down the road The Governor loses his poo poo and single handedly guns down his entire army. Ricks group goes back to Woodbury to finish them off, but all they find is Tyrese. Rick decides to take the survivors from Woodbury back to the prison and the season ends there. The Governor is believed to still be out there.

Oh and Andrea dies.

Webisodes:
A new series of webisodes is out called The Oath

Carl plants a gun tree.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's the spoiler thread.

If you're talking about the comics, it had better be in that thread, not this thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I really hope the crew doesn't stay at the prison all season and that they branch out and have to fight more zombies instead of the show continuing to be an exclusively dumb interpersonal drama, but then on the other hand, I think about it a little and it seems dumb to even hope for that anymore having seen the last couple seasons :smithicide:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Zombies make excellent fertilizer.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm so sad at the direction this show has gone, in that it has no direction. The pilot and season one were great but season two was 'look for a girl who is obviously dead for half the season and sit on a farm bitching at each other for the rest' while season three was 'sit around a prison all season while occasionally exchanging angry words with/shooting at a poorly written antagonist'. The problem is they just obviously don't know where to take it - in season one they had the 'goal' of getting to the CDC and while I enjoyed the interpersonal drama it was combined with it kept things fresh and moving. Now they're just sitting around and have been for two seasons, moaning at each other for the same tired old overblown reasons with no real plot to keep things moving along. I get that in a way that's the point - a real post-apocalyptic world would likely be petty and directionless, but that doesn't make it good TV. As it stands it's becoming more a less an occasionally violent, zombie themed soap opera. That might appeal to some people, I guess, but it doesn't to me.

The characters are just weirdly inconsistent too - I actually quite like Rick (maybe moreso because the only other thing I've seen the actor in is a mediocre old British schoolteacher sitcom - it's such a huge contrast) but Daryl, enjoyable to watch as he is, just screams fan service. In a show that's supposed to portray a vaguely more realistic post-zombie apocalypse world he's a more or less indestructible, effortlessly cool maverick with a crossbow. It's jarring when you consider the themes in the rest of the show. Carl is just the most frustrating character I have ever seen and I want them to kill him off ASAP even though I know they won't. The Governor might be the worst - they had a huge opportunity to make him a ruthless, merciless pragmatist who did what needed to be done to see his people through. It would have fit right in with the morally grey tone the whole show goes for and they could have written storylines that would have legitimately divided audiences as to whether he was actually an antagonist or not (in a word, the perfect kind of antagonist). Instead, they've just gone for this evil caricature - why is he shooting his own men? Why is he killing people in cold blood for their stuff when he could use the manpower? Why does he have an obvious 'I AM EVIL' lair full of zombie heads? Sure, they went some way towards this route with his daughter and him trying to cure her but it felt very superficial.

I never thought I'd say this, but honestly the videogame of the Walking Dead is a better written, more engaging story than the show at the moment.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It Daryl dies I plan to join the riots.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I really hope the crew doesn't stay at the prison all season and that they branch out and have to fight more zombies instead of the show continuing to be an exclusively dumb interpersonal drama, but then on the other hand, I think about it a little and it seems dumb to even hope for that anymore having seen the last couple seasons :smithicide:

I just wish their writers could write GOOD interpersonal drama. They have moments where they get on the ball with it, but it's so far and few between most of the time.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

ApexAftermath posted:

I just wish their writers could write GOOD interpersonal drama. They have moments where they get on the ball with it, but it's so far and few between most of the time.

I view it as the virus. Everyone in the series in infected, therefore everyone in the series is brain damaged, thus the interpersonal drama that we get is perfect for brain damaged individuals.

If you try and view it as normal people dealing with stressful situations during the apocalypse you will get really angry, because normal people don't act like people in The Walking Dead.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

ThomasPaine posted:

The Governor might be the worst - they had a huge opportunity to make him a ruthless, merciless pragmatist who did what needed to be done to see his people through. It would have fit right in with the morally grey tone the whole show goes for and they could have written storylines that would have legitimately divided audiences as to whether he was actually an antagonist or not (in a word, the perfect kind of antagonist). Instead, they've just gone for this evil caricature - why is he shooting his own men? Why is he killing people in cold blood for their stuff when he could use the manpower? Why does he have an obvious 'I AM EVIL' lair full of zombie heads? Sure, they went some way towards this route with his daughter and him trying to cure her but it felt very superficial.

I never thought I'd say this, but honestly the videogame of the Walking Dead is a better written, more engaging story than the show at the moment.

You absolutely nailed how mis-handled the Governor has been. After a promising start to last season, the show quickly got muddled and tedious. It went from LiveWatch to recorded and I watched the last 6 eps back to back, liberally fast forwarding through most of the literal destruction of potentially the most compelling character, Andrea. She devolved into the worst written character of any show I've watched in recent memory(S2 Lori being the closest competitor[I don't count Carl as child actors artificially amplify bad dialogue]).

I want this show to succeed, though I guess it's an apt microcosm of the rarity in quality of the genre.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

warcrimes posted:

You absolutely nailed how mis-handled the Governor has been. After a promising start to last season, the show quickly got muddled and tedious. It went from LiveWatch to recorded and I watched the last 6 eps back to back, liberally fast forwarding through most of the literal destruction of potentially the most compelling character, Andrea. She devolved into the worst written character of any show I've watched in recent memory(S2 Lori being the closest competitor[I don't count Carl as child actors artificially amplify bad dialogue]).

I want this show to succeed, though I guess it's an apt microcosm of the rarity in quality of the genre.

I did much the same. I tuned in every week religiously for season 1, soldiered through season 2 in the hope it would pick up (it didn't) and then started season 3 in the vague hope they had learned their lesson. They hadn't. I gave up maybe halfway through and then absentmindedly watched the rest in the background while doing other things, powering through them all within a couple of days out of obligation without really enjoying them at all.

e: On the topic of bad characters, crazy samurai black lady (I forget her name, says a lot). What even? She's like something a thirteen year old kid would draw if you asked him to design a zombie killing badass. Her and Daryl need a kids spin-off where they just kick rear end in the most overblown ways possible while learning that racism isn't cool and the power of love and friendship surpasses everything.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Season 3 at least gave us "Clear". Without a doubt the best episode since the Pilot. (Even Michonne and Carl were likable).

As for the Videogame being better written as the episodes, I'm sure everyone who played through them will agree with you.

Still I think there is hope for TWD : the most annoying characters are all dead (Dale, Lori, Andrea). We've got 3-dawg back with the group and they fired all the bad writers (who am I kidding?)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Evernoob posted:

Season 3 at least gave us "Clear". Without a doubt the best episode since the Pilot. (Even Michonne and Carl were likable).
Was that the one where Morgan from the Pilot came back but was broken beyond repair? God, that was a great episode. The best of season 3, by far. And better than all of Season 2, too. I wish we'd see more episodes as great as that :smith:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, that's the one. By far the best episode of the series. (and I heard there are even some deleted scenes where he mentions he's keeping Duane "alive" feeding him dogs and stuff, but haven't found/seen those yet)

Maybe good to know that the writer of that episode has been appointed to be showrunner of Season 4.
On the other hand I don't think we will see Lennie James back this season, since he just starred in a new series as a lead role.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Evernoob posted:

Still I think there is hope for TWD : the most annoying characters are all dead (Dale, Lori, Andrea).

This means nothing. Their characters were fine until they weren't.

It's someone else's turn to start acting erratically bizarre to advance(or spin-wheels-in-place) lazy storytelling...who shall it be?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

warcrimes posted:

...who shall it be?

Carl entering puberty?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The governor as a ruthless version of Rick would have been perfect, but sadly I don't think that was even the original intention.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I thought it would be funny to have an 11 year-old Chinese kid rewrite the dialogue to the comic book. I love it because he has no clue what The Walking Dead is, who the characters are, what they will do, so it's like a completely new story for me.

http://jackvszombies.tumblr.com/tagged/issue1/chrono

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I watched the first season of this show and thought it adequate. The first episode of series two seemed to me like a big pile of bullshit. Has it continued on this way? When I watched the pilot it seemed like fun stuff, like I am Legend. As it went on it just seemed like a poo poo camping holiday with your extended family who hate each other. Has it improved since? My television hours are limited these days due to other things, like sitting in cars or pressing buttons.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

justcola posted:

I watched the first season of this show and thought it adequate. The first episode of series two seemed to me like a big pile of bullshit. Has it continued on this way? When I watched the pilot it seemed like fun stuff, like I am Legend. As it went on it just seemed like a poo poo camping holiday with your extended family who hate each other. Has it improved since? My television hours are limited these days due to other things, like sitting in cars or pressing buttons.
Do yourself a favor and don't watch the rest.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

justcola posted:

thewalkingdead.txt

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm sure someone here could compile you a list of must-see episodes (there are a couple of them).
"18 miles out", and "clear" come to mind.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was that the one where Morgan from the Pilot came back but was broken beyond repair? God, that was a great episode. The best of season 3, by far. And better than all of Season 2, too. I wish we'd see more episodes as great as that :smith:

And then the next episode after it pretty much acts like none of it happened. I wish the writers didn't suck rear end so much and actually sat around like the breaking bad writers do and figure out every possible permutation of what could happen next and try to write things that feel organic instead of "well wut should we do this week guies?" - "I know we shud have Daryl hunt for the Sophia and run into his brother in a dream because omg wouldn't that be cool, and he can wear ears like a necklace(so hardcore!) and then Andrea will almost shoot him at the end awesum right?"

EDIT: And no before someone comes to white knight it, I don't think Walking Dead HAS to be written just as good as Breaking Bad. I think that is frankly a tall impossible order, but at the same time there really is no excuse for just how bad it is. It could easily be so much better if they would just get away from this network tv style of writing.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 11, 2013

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

E.Nigma posted:

Oh and Andrea dies.

I completely forgot she was dead haha.

Looking forward to it coming back, needs more phone carrying Rick, less psychopath Carl.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Does anyone still have the Highlander "there can only be one... black guy" gif?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

Play Season 2 on fastforward. The good plotlines for that season are Maggie and Glenn, and the gang near the end of the season.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I recently rewatched the entire series.

I really think Season 2 is a lot better than everyone says, I also think the first half of season three and the Governor are handled awfully. The Shane stuff from the season before is actually really interesting, holding up fault to Rick's leadership. Rick's leadership in the third season has faults, but since there's no Shane-like figure it kind of just hangs there.

I don't know. I think this show is better than people give it credit for, but there are real criticisms that can be made as well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Carl Was Right.

Don't feed me none of your bullshit this season, show. I don't like how bullshit tastes. Keep it away from me, and we might just make it through this.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I think I'm probably most excited to just hear the opening theme. Then the rest of the episode will play and I'll be horribly disappointed until the end credits.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Last night I had a dream where my parents were late to dinner. I went to their house to find them but they had turned to zombies and they attacked me, so I killed them in self defense. Or at least, I was about to when I woke up. I didn't know that The Walking Dead was starting back up tonight until I woke up and described my dream to the internet. I do not appreciate this new marketing scheme, AMC.

Wylo
Jan 24, 2007

Are you ready to get pumped?
I'm rewatching it as AMC plays it and I can't get over how lovely season 3 is. The Governor being a cartoon bad guy isn't inherently a problem but his writing is just so schizophrenic and poorly paced and generally terrible. Gus does plenty of silly poo poo in Breaking Bad that'd be a good fit for NCIS but he and his circumstances are well-developed so we can take it with a straight face. Nothing about the Governor makes any sense, he's just pseudoRick one scene and a rapey bandit boss with a head aquarium the next. They try so hard to make him genuinely badass but everything he did was eye-rollingly dumb and usually boring and predictable - go watch the scene where he kills all the soldiers, or the first attack on the prison and count his over-choreographed cliche shots. They tried to make him genuinely disturbing too, but we just wound up with a bunch of unfocused creepy evil threads that went collectively nowhere, and he was basically the focus of the entire season so the whole show got to suffer for it.

The best old news I read all day: new showrunner Scott Gimple was the writer of Clear. He's also listed as co-writer of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, but hey, fingers crossed. This show deserves to be better.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

UoI posted:

It Daryl dies I plan to join the riots.

I am already not going to watch this season until it is on Netflix. I won't watch it at all if Daryl dies. He may be fan service, but he's the only watchable thing going for the show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I am already not going to watch this season until it is on Netflix. I won't watch it at all if Daryl dies. He may be fan service, but he's the only watchable thing going for the show.

We also have Carl, aka Stone Cold Carl, aka Hard Carl.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching reruns of last season on AMC and it's just reminding me how much this season will probably suck :(

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Last night I had a dream where my parents were late to dinner. I went to their house to find them but they had turned to zombies and they attacked me, so I killed them in self defense. Or at least, I was about to when I woke up. I didn't know that The Walking Dead was starting back up tonight until I woke up and described my dream to the internet. I do not appreciate this new marketing scheme, AMC.

I doubt that this dream is actually related to the show because it sounds like things actually happened in your dream.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Only good thing to come out of TWD last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4lLJu_-wE

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Just a reminder: if you're posting just to bitch about the show, then don't post. This rule will be relaxed during the hour the show is actually airing due to normal live-posting reactions.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why were these episodes rated TV-MA? Breaking Bad was just as gruesome as TWD, if not moreso sometimes, and it was always rated TV-14 I think.

I know they're completely different shows, but still. It can't be for zombie dismemberment, right?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 14, 2013

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Possibly that and the occasional vicious mauling of a person.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Will they put the new episode on Hulu or some other site tomorrow? I won't be able to watch it tonight.

\/\/\/My tv is broken, which is why I'll miss it. But I found out they put up the episodes on AMC's website so nevermind.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
On demand maybe?

• Locked thread