Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Real Name Grover posted:

Don Treadwell getting fired

Yeah going 8-21 over three years will do that to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
more mid-season firings than normal this year

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
updated the OP with a new hotseat coach and more speculation about mack brown

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

#3 on the year.

:stare: $900k buyout on the last half of his contract.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Real Name Grover posted:

#3 on the year.

Early candidates of note getting talked about on the Miami boards.

- Kerry Coombs DB/ST Ohio State: He's a solid recruiter. The DBs have been pretty much poo poo this year, but he'll at least bring energy. He's from the Miami Valley, so I have to imagine he's towards the top of their list.

- Ron Zook: Please. Please. Give the Zooker a chance.

- Tom Herman OC/QB Ohio State: You stay the gently caress away from Herman. Won't happen anyways; he had 2 BCS offers last summer he turned down, no reason he'd take this.

- Mike Hankwitz DC Northwestern: Uh....Really?

- Aaron Kromer DC Chicago Bears: No chance.

- DJ Durkin DC/LB Florida: No chance

- Chuck Martin OC/QB Notre Dame: Do you really want the man who created Tommy Rees as head coach?

- A poo poo ton of FCS Head coaches: Probably one of these.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Zook would probably do well at a mid-major if he had decent coordinators.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Who offered tom Herman a job? I hadn't heard about that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Zook would probably do well at a mid-major if he had decent coordinators.

He wasn't even recruiting well by the end at Illinois.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

DJExile posted:

Who offered tom Herman a job? I hadn't heard about that

He was contacted regarding jobs, I don't think it got any further than that.

The place I saw this was the SI article from a couple of weeks ago, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130925/ohio-state-behind-the-scenes/?mobile=no

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

What kind of sick person doesn't want as much Zook as possible in college football?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

What kind of sick person doesn't want as much Zook as possible in college football?

Coaches who try to fight entire fraternities need to be in as high profile a role as possible. I keep hoping Zook gets hired to coach the Dallas Cowboys.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

There's a difference between thinking Zook is good at his job and wanting him desperately to come back

bring back the zooker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQIONrrpYSk

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Don't get me wrong, no one loved the big Zooker more than I did. I have an entire folder of wacky Zook pictures just waiting to be relevant again

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

MourningView posted:

Don't get me wrong, no one loved the big Zooker more than I did. I have an entire folder of wacky Zook pictures just waiting to be relevant again

Ron Zook would be a better coach than Paul Pasqualoni was.

Of course then that would destroy your master plan of Kirk Ferentz coming to UConn.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I listened to you. But then the invites started arriving last month so I applied again oh well doesn't cost me anything \=

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE

MourningView posted:

MourningView posted:

recruiting well at Illinois

Nobody could. But Zook is bad

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

SmellsLikeToast posted:

What, you have something against desolation and an overwhelming smell of fertilizer?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SmellsLikeToast posted:

It's the biggest university in one of the better states in the midwest talent wise. There are lots of people living in Illinois. There's no real reason they can't recruit well there by the standards of the Big Ten, and he did for several years before the bottom fell out. It's certainly a hell of a lot easier to recruit there than it is at Iowa or Wisconsin.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
They are the Rutgers/Maryland of the Midwest.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So is Minnesota now looking for a new coach? You have to think they are at this point. Kill is stepping aside for an undetermined amount of time, I think he should just retire at the end of the year and step aside so a new guy can come in and start coaching and be as effective as possible. I don't think any of the current assistants have done anything to warrant a HC job, unless Claeys gets some good wins as the interim.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

MourningView posted:

It's the biggest university in one of the better states in the midwest talent wise. There are lots of people living in Illinois. There's no real reason they can't recruit well there by the standards of the Big Ten, and he did for several years before the bottom fell out. It's certainly a hell of a lot easier to recruit there than it is at Iowa or Wisconsin.

Illinois has 11 former players starting in the NFL right now despite only averaging 4 wins a season the last decade:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304906704579111483749901344.html

Illinois' problem has never been lack of talent. Its that their coaching staff has been led by Tim Beckman, Ron Zook, and Ron Turner for the last 16 years and counting.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

swickles posted:

So is Minnesota now looking for a new coach? You have to think they are at this point. Kill is stepping aside for an undetermined amount of time, I think he should just retire at the end of the year and step aside so a new guy can come in and start coaching and be as effective as possible. I don't think any of the current assistants have done anything to warrant a HC job, unless Claeys gets some good wins as the interim.

I don't think Claeys has any desire to be a HC. He's been on Kill's greasy coattails for awhile now.

Perhaps they'll make an offer Charlie Weis can't refuse.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Gendo exactly how many times in school were you beaten up by a fat kid

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I just like Charlie Weis jokes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Kiffin might be looking for a rebuild-his-career job.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Surely Bobby Petrino's trying to get out of Western Kentucky...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

GD_American posted:

Kiffin might be looking for a rebuild-his-career job.

Or he could always join Tommy Bowden on the ACC Network team.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gendo posted:

I don't think Claeys has any desire to be a HC. He's been on Kill's greasy coattails for awhile now.

Perhaps they'll make an offer Charlie Weis can't refuse.

When I saw this on my phone it looked empty. What is this gif from?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

effectual posted:

When I saw this on my phone it looked empty. What is this gif from?

Season 3 promo for Eagleheart.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

Early candidates of note getting talked about on the Miami boards.

- Chuck Martin OC/QB Notre Dame: Do you really want the man who created Tommy Rees as head coach?

Wait what do you mean by this? The fact Tommy Rees is effective at all on this level is probably a testament to good coaching. Kid was a low 3* QB with pretty obvious physical limitations.

But if you mean making Tommy Rees into Peyton Manning with all the line calls and audibles, yeah that poo poo is garbage. He does a good job of checking out of plays but honestly it kills any rhythm for the offense, especially the run game.

Either way, Miami of Ohio could do a hell of a lot worse than Chuck Martin - he kept GVSU rolling after Kelly and seems like a pretty solid coach.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas hired a firm to conduct it's AD search and it's probably going to be Luck or Jurich. I'm thinking Luck is the favorite at this point. On the coaching front: Saban, Muschamp, Strong, and Briles are still at the top of the list. Mike Tomlin's agent put out feelers to Texas and told them not to make any moves without more conversation with them.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Mike Tomlin, lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

Mike Tomlin's agent put out feelers to Texas and told them not to make any moves without more conversation with them.

Huh? That seems completely out of left field.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Huh? That seems completely out of left field.

He has an aging roster and would be paid a couple million more than at Pittsburgh.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

buddhanc posted:

He has an aging roster and would be paid a couple million more than at Pittsburgh.

It seems like such a strange move on his part. Tomlin's got a lot of job security in Pittsburgh.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

It seems like such a strange move on his part. Tomlin's got a lot of job security in Pittsburgh.

I find it strange too, but it was only a feeler to see what kind of deal he could get. I'm sure it's nothing serious at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yahoo reporting Tom Jurich will not leave Louisville.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Has there been any non-fired coach that jumped from the NFL to college in modern memory besides Petrino and Saban, who are both widely vilified for doing so?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

Has there been any non-fired coach that jumped from the NFL to college in modern memory besides Petrino and Saban, who are both widely vilified for doing so?

Spurrier, kinda, but I think he went college to NFL to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

GD_American posted:

Mike Tomlin's thirst for competition must be unquenched by AFC titles and a Superbowl win. I guess he wants to try his hand at new challenges.

Like coaching against shitheap teams in the Big 12.

• Locked thread