Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Eh as someone who doesn't pay much attention to 'gaming news' I didn't really know what to expect from Spore, or rather I hadn't been waiting for the game for years before it game out. If you were really looking forward to some evolution simulator (reasonable since that's what they told everyone it was) then I can see why you'd be pretty disappointed in Spore.

If on the other hand you looked at the game after it came out, and saw: Dr. Mario, Pokemon, Populous, Civ, and then you get a spaceship... well that's pretty much exactly what you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Kilroy posted:

If on the other hand you looked at the game after it came out, and saw: Dr. Mario, Pokemon, Populous, Civ, and then you get a spaceship... well that's pretty much exactly what you got.

I... what? Spore was nothing like any of these games. Its failure was that every stage was mind-numbingly shallow. If it'd had the depth of Dr. Mario, well, we'd be living in a different world.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah I thought about sticking a "babby's first" in there somewhere. I agree all the minigames were pretty shallow. If you paid full price for it at release, you've every reason to be :argh:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I know 3000 is the favourite of many, but I find it the most skippable. Classic is classic, 2000 was a huge leap forward and is full of rad crazy stuff like rewards and arcologies. 3000 was just 2000 with better graphics and a few extra features. 4 is a god drat work of art and another huge leap forward.

I played SC2k to death, but I've never been able to get into SC4 that much. For some reason, every time I tried to start a city, the RCI indicators would keep demanding huge areas of industry, even if half the map was filled with farms and factories with just a few blocks of housing and commercial spread among it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Soiled Meat

Kilroy posted:

Eh as someone who doesn't pay much attention to 'gaming news' I didn't really know what to expect from Spore, or rather I hadn't been waiting for the game for years before it game out. If you were really looking forward to some evolution simulator (reasonable since that's what they told everyone it was) then I can see why you'd be pretty disappointed in Spore.

I enjoyed the primitive stages of Spore. The ones in which your choices actually have impact on gameplay, and which let you explore the world. The crushing disappointment came when I realized that they discarded all variety in the civilization eras, and that no matter how much time you spent designing your ugly little buildings, you would always end up with exactly the same terrible strategy game that barely matched the complexity of the first Warcraft.

I mean, even if you didn't expect anything from Spore, you would have to be disappointed by the 180 the game makes around the midpoint.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So it's been many months, I think I'm about ready to reinstall this game now that all the bugs and issues have been fixed! Every single one of them!

HERE I GO TO A WORLD OF MAGICAL SIMULATION

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chocobo posted:

So it's been many months, I think I'm about ready to reinstall this game now that all the bugs and issues have been fixed! Every single one of them!

NO DON'T

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Chocobo posted:

What the gently caress are you doing. :stonk:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jolan posted:

I played SC2k to death, but I've never been able to get into SC4 that much. For some reason, every time I tried to start a city, the RCI indicators would keep demanding huge areas of industry, even if half the map was filled with farms and factories with just a few blocks of housing and commercial spread among it.

Add more taxes, seriously.

20% on dirty, 7% on manufactoring and 5% on high tech. Farming just polutes the water, but it looks good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm actually just getting into SC4 as someone who was a bit too young to really 'get' it in its prime. Now I can wrap my head around concepts like not trying to have a nuclear power plant and a fully staffed university in a sleepy town of 500, but I'm struggling to get at it past filling up shitholes of poorly developed residential neighborhoods and dirty industries. Where should I be trying to go from there, and should I let the game do that automatic road thing or lay them out personally in Autistic detail and then fill in afterwards?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Autistic, and either make a HUGE sprawl and give people what they want, when they want it. Like schools, fire departments, police, healthcare, water.

Or do it like me, plop down school and highschool, tax dirty out of the town, lower taxes for high tech. In other words, rush to high tech industry. I play on easy though, so I can run a negative budget for years.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Also take a brief look at info about cap busters. At certain points your demands will plummet when certain caps in population, commercial and industrial are reached, and those are the way to get demands back up and going. Second post in this thread http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/50348-residential-cap-whats-the-best-way-to-increase-it/ has some better info with links for more in it. Oh, and here's the SAs very own thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410697&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 for the game.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Kilroy posted:

Yeah I thought about sticking a "babby's first" in there somewhere. I agree all the minigames were pretty shallow. If you paid full price for it at release, you've every reason to be :argh:

Meh I bought spore at release and enjoyed it. Got more time out of it than most games I've bought (especially the actiony-fpsy type games. I played Bioshock Infinite once. Like 8 hours maybe? Easily got 40 into Spore).

First stage was fun, second stage was fun, tribe and civilization stages sucked bad, space stage was kinda fun. All in all it wasn't a bad purchase and I wish they'd release a sequel that was more hashed out. I wasn't on the hype train for it though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Chocobo posted:

I've looked for gifs that might predict your experience but I really can't find any. Unless someone has one where Han and Chewie warp straight into goatse or something.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Chocobo posted:

My prediction, you can't launch the game or connect to servers.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I've looked for gifs that might predict your experience but I really can't find any. Unless someone has one where Han and Chewie warp straight into goatse or something.

Not exactly Han and Chewie, but I figure this might do. (Linked because :goatsecx:)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shadeoses posted:

My prediction, you can't launch the game or connect to servers.

I do always enjoy the stories that end with SimCity being literally unplayable instead of just unplayable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Uncle Jam posted:

I would love a Japan type city planning game, because everything is just so different. You'd get to essentially zone basement buildings everywhere and underground pedestrian plazas are a main mode of transportation. It'd be cool to start with a small main train station and grow the station while growing the city.

Its never going to happen unless some Japanese super nerd programs it by himself in his free time though.

There actually is a Japanese style city planning series. It's called Machi-ing Maker, but the first two games in the series came overseas as "Metropolismania" for the PS2. The most recent one, Machi-ing Maker 4, is on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but no one ever picked it up for localization. Apparently if you have some kind of translation guide it's not that hard to play, but the big problem is that the game is niche as gently caress and had a lot print run so it's like 80 dollars minimum for a PS3 copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvKyq9wfzhI

It's like SimCity 2013, only the map is small because it's in Japan, you're building everything individually and zoning on a microscopic level (compared to SC2013), people get jobs, keep the jobs, and go to the jobs without dying in traffic, and there's a huge public transportation push because everyone in Japan uses it. So it's like if SimCity 2013 actually worked. It's a console game at its core so it'll never compare to some theoretical ultra-Japanese SimCity PC competitor but it's a neat little series regardless.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Policenaut posted:

There actually is a Japanese style city planning series. It's called Machi-ing Maker, but the first two games in the series came overseas as "Metropolismania" for the PS2.

Wow, I played this and I was pretty sure I was the only person who ever had. I got it in a bin at a supermarket for like a dollar, I think. It was pretty fun at the time but I haven't played it in years.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Policenaut posted:

There actually is a Japanese style city planning series. It's called Machi-ing Maker, but the first two games in the series came overseas as "Metropolismania" for the PS2. The most recent one, Machi-ing Maker 4, is on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but no one ever picked it up for localization. Apparently if you have some kind of translation guide it's not that hard to play, but the big problem is that the game is niche as gently caress and had a lot print run so it's like 80 dollars minimum for a PS3 copy.

It's like SimCity 2013, only the map is small because it's in Japan, you're building everything individually and zoning on a microscopic level (compared to SC2013), people get jobs, keep the jobs, and go to the jobs without dying in traffic, and there's a huge public transportation push because everyone in Japan uses it. So it's like if SimCity 2013 actually worked. It's a console game at its core so it'll never compare to some theoretical ultra-Japanese SimCity PC competitor but it's a neat little series regardless.

Do you happen to know if the 360 version is region locked? 360 developers get to choose whether to lock their games or not, as I recall, so if I can play this on my pal 360 I might try and find it at book-off or something. Finally a game for my 360 that I might actually like.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shibawanko posted:

Do you happen to know if the 360 version is region locked? 360 developers get to choose whether to lock their games or not, as I recall, so if I can play this on my pal 360 I might try and find it at book-off or something. Finally a game for my 360 that I might actually like.

It doesn't look like it's region free, but most of the sites I use to look that sort of thing up have giant question marks and blank entries for the game because city building games aren't very high up there on the "games that anime nerds have to import" index. I wouldn't chance it normally but if you can find it for super cheap at a Book Off or whatever it could be worth a shot, wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Baronjutter posted:

I know 3000 is the favourite of many, but I find it the most skippable. Classic is classic, 2000 was a huge leap forward and is full of rad crazy stuff like rewards and arcologies. 3000 was just 2000 with better graphics and a few extra features. 4 is a god drat work of art and another huge leap forward.
I think 3000's biggest strength is its sense of personality - the advisors and petitioners are nicely stylised cartoons with interesting things to say, the music is (IMO) the best that the series has ever had, the ticker jokes are funnier than 4's and less buggy than 2000's newspapers. Granted, that's not necessarily what you're looking for in a SimCity game, and it's hard to deny that 4 offers a deeper experience and 2000 a more approachable one.

In other news, I've been playing a bit of SimCity 2000 Network Edition with some friends lately - it's weird as all hell, but rather fascinating. It also gives off the feeling a little of what Maxis wanted to try and achieve with 2013's multiplayer (sharing education and health resources as well as just utilities, for example). Buying out plots of land, and being able to choose the shape of the land plots you buy (so you can buy up flat areas but leave the hills for later development, say) is one of those things that 2013 really could have used: the arbitrary square shape of the 2013 plots - and the corresponding tendency to shove annoying geographical features into the plots while leaving vast tracts of perfectly good flat land undevelopable - compounds the tiny buildspace you have to work with.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Where should I be trying to go from there, and should I let the game do that automatic road thing or lay them out personally in Autistic detail and then fill in afterwards?

If you can't feel the autism you're doing it wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paul.Power posted:

I think 3000's biggest strength is its sense of personality - the advisors and petitioners are nicely stylised cartoons with interesting things to say, the music is (IMO) the best that the series has ever had, the ticker jokes are funnier than 4's and less buggy than 2000's newspapers.
Well SC3k was a little corny, but damned if I don't love it. Is it more flavored with the expansions? I had the Mac version, so the expacs were out of the question.

I still have my CD and manual and everything... but OSX hasn't supported their PowerPC virtual machine since 10.3, so I've been poo poo outta luck for a decade now.

quote:

In other news, I've been playing a bit of SimCity 2000 Network Edition with some friends lately - it's weird as all hell, but rather fascinating.
What's this? Is it like an open source thing like the netplay Civ 1 or did they actually plan for netplay in the original? I did like SC2k, but I only ever played the super stripped-down version on the SNES.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, there was an actual multiplayer SC2K they put out.. called it "Network Edition."

It was cute, but didn't add much to the game.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Wait a minute, Tower Records still exists in Japan?

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Voyager I posted:

I'm actually just getting into SC4 as someone who was a bit too young to really 'get' it in its prime. Now I can wrap my head around concepts like not trying to have a nuclear power plant and a fully staffed university in a sleepy town of 500, but I'm struggling to get at it past filling up shitholes of poorly developed residential neighborhoods and dirty industries. Where should I be trying to go from there, and should I let the game do that automatic road thing or lay them out personally in Autistic detail and then fill in afterwards?

What you should do is head over to the good SimCity thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537338&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

A lot of SC4's gameplay ends up revolving around demand caps, basically there's a critical mass of certain things required before your city/region will support more advanced construction. You absolutely need dirty/manufacturing industry before your region can support skyscrapers, so you can make a Camden NJ city and then create a Manhattan next door.

Even in a lovely industrial town, once you've got enough people/jobs, you can start supporting that population with services etc. To what extent depends on what you want the town to evolve into and how nice you want to be.

SC4 is all about sperg, and once you've got the backbone of a region up and running (~100000 people,) it becomes more about getting rid of limits to demand than building up critical mass. So there's little point in auto-zoning, really. Let your neighborhoods be your zen garden. Especially since, with a big region map, you'll have more space than you will ever be able to fill.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, there was an actual multiplayer SC2K they put out.. called it "Network Edition."

It was cute, but didn't add much to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9e3WlJChro

Somewhere in the back of my mind I think a multiplayer Simcity would be awesome but I can't for the life of me think how it might work in any meaningful way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Paul.Power posted:

Buying out plots of land, and being able to choose the shape of the land plots you buy (so you can buy up flat areas but leave the hills for later development, say) is one of those things that 2013 really could have used: the arbitrary square shape of the 2013 plots - and the corresponding tendency to shove annoying geographical features into the plots while leaving vast tracts of perfectly good flat land undevelopable - compounds the tiny buildspace you have to work with.

This is the funniest bit about the horrible city size. Not only is it tiny but they'll then make a massive amount unusable and there aren't any terraforming tools to try and fix it

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

KKKlean Energy posted:

Somewhere in the back of my mind I think a multiplayer Simcity would be awesome but I can't for the life of me think how it might work in any meaningful way.

Like Anno. Being able to share control with other players. I would love to play a sim city with my wife like that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KKKlean Energy posted:

There's quite a number of ways it could work, actually. Multiple people working on the same city plot, rivaling cities trying to reach X number of people first and sabotaging each other along the way, groups of colonists on a new planet that need to each work their cities to exploit local resources but work together to terraform the planet, or like what people used to with a shared SimCity 4 region. Really, the biggest bottleneck is transferring all of the data around. If memory serves that last one led to downloads in the gigabytes to transfer the regions around.

It's certainly POSSIBLE it just isn't the most PRACTICAL thing in the world and would be a monster to code.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As far as multiplayer goes, SC5 seems like it at least got it right in concept. Obviously the implementation is crap because the game itself is crap, but specializing cities for the greater good isn't a completely bad idea. The idea of each mayor specializing a zone type or a wealth type opens a lot of cooperative possibilities.

Maybe that's just me though, the idea of a clean high wealth city having to deal with a bunch of low wealth commuters sounds really amusing.

Just make the cities right next to each other instead of miles away (unless the players choose to make them miles away).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

xzzy posted:

Maybe that's just me though, the idea of a clean high wealth city having to deal with a bunch of low wealth commuters sounds really amusing.

I dunno, that's kinda like the video game version of fygm. For this scenario to work, you need to have someone who likes being the polluted slave-city that exports their poor, uneducated, 40-yr lifespan commuters to some other guy's metropolis (even more insulting when you can see their golden skyscrapers and all you have is graffiti'ed up projects and smoggy green skies). That's like the opposite of what I imagine when it comes to Sim City, I want happy sims with long lifespans and high IQ who work in the zero-pollution industrial zones in their own city and I get the impression most players do as well.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 13, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

That's like the opposite of what I imagine when it comes to Sim City, I want happy sims with long lifespans and high IQ who work in the zero-pollution industrial zones in their own city and I get the impression most players do as well.

But you can do that already with every SimCity ever made already.

I mean yeah, what you suggest is fun but there's not much of a multiplayer game in that.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, that's kinda like the video game version of fygm. For this scenario to work, you need to have someone who likes being the polluted slave-city that exports their poor, uneducated, 40-yr lifespan commuters to some other guy's metropolis (even more insulting when you can see their golden skyscrapers and all you have is graffiti'ed up projects and smoggy green skies). That's like the opposite of what I imagine when it comes to Sim City, I want happy sims with long lifespans and high IQ who work in the zero-pollution industrial zones in their own city and I get the impression most players do as well.

What if you ended up with Judge Dredd like mile high residential blocks?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chocobo posted:

So what's happening with this? Or is "reinstalling SimCity" the cool new euphemism for suicide?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So what's happening with this? Or is "reinstalling SimCity" the cool new euphemism for suicide?

I reinstalled and enjoyed myself until people started bitching that they couldn't find work when there were open jobs for their wealth bracket. Guess I'll wait for another 4 months of patches.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

Perhaps you could build multiplayer gameplay around the idea of poor mayors trying to bring their wealthy opposites down by offering slave la better business environment, cheaper real estate and lower taxes. And if the wealthier players in charge of complex bhemoths couldn't come up with ways to foster demand in their towns, they would be cannibalized by the small but economical and more flexible upstarts. Perhaps this could work as a cycle in which cities repeatedly grow and collapse / undergo booms and busts.

Would it be almost impossible to balance out? Yes. Would it be cool as hell? Yes.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 14, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Doug Lombardi posted:

Wait a minute, Tower Records still exists in Japan?

The Japanese part went independent and seems to be doing pretty well. IIRC the biggest record store that still exists is a Tower Records one there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rivaling cities trying to reach X number of people first and sabotaging each other along the way.

This worked well for Constructor on a small scale, although there was way too much you needed to be doing at any one time in that game.

• Locked thread