Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I also tried experimenting a little, first with a magic ring since I figured a success would be more obvious. It worked when I added it to another ring, but not with any other piece of equipment. It's a little harder to tell, but it seemed to work the same with the heart pendant -- transferred effect to a pendant only. If accessories work like weapons you may be able to transfer to a different accessory with a light ore. You can make a claymore with a snow crown's stats by adding the claymore during crafting, but apparently you need to also add light ore if you want a short sword with those stats. In other words, I need to find light ore so I can save the world with a spoon. :black101:

Edit: I went and smashed all the ore nodes I could find and was lucky enough to get one light ore! I can confirm that you can transfer effects between accessories this way. So a pendant or earring (but not a shield or hat) can get a charge boost if made with a mage ring and a light ore, for example. No idea if multiple effects at once works or not.

Oh and you can indeed get a death spoon with the damage of a high level hammer.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

That's sweet as hell! Where was the node you got the light ore in? Does light ore add the other weapon's stats on top of the first weapon's, or replace the first weapon's stats with the other weapon's?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Dirk the Average posted:

Edit: And of course I now get it immediately - the way the inheritance works is that if you make an accessory, like say a heart pendant, and you put in three other accessories (say wind pendant to buff animals, earth pendant to buff tools, lucky ring to enhance drops, etc.) while making the pendant then the effects will inherit. If you just try to add something in after the pendant has been made, then nothing will inherit.
I tried this a bit just now and yeah. I created a Charm [100% Crit Res], added a 50% LightDark Resist ring, a 50% RP Usage scarf, and the increased skill gain Heart Pendant to it. This was easily testable, the Ultimate Dual Blade skill went from 12 RP cost to 6 RP cost when I threw the Charm on (same as with the Scarf). It doesn't mention anything new on the description though, not even the 50% LightDark resist. There's no way to check your resists, right?

I played around with it a bit on the weapons that I have available. These are working off pure stats, not any special effects, I don't have light ore or anything like that yet.

Definitions:
weapon; what is being crafted right now
subweapon; a weapon used as an ingredient in the crafting of the weapon
inherit; the base stats a weapon receives from a subweapon
ingredient; non-weapon materials (gems, etc) used and received effects when crafting the weapon
upgrade; materials used to improve the weapon after it has been crafted

You can probably just tinker around and bother Barrett to figure this out, but a given weapon can have 1 subweapon and 3 ingredients. Barrett will say "This item was made with Ingredient1, Ingredient2, Ingredient3. It looks like a WEAPON but has the abilities of SUBWEAPON." 'Abilities of SUBWEAPON' has been termed 'inherits' below.

1) The base stats of the subweapon will replace the stats of the weapon. Any upgrades or inherits, but not ingredients, are discarded.
2) Any ingredients used to craft the subweapon will be carried over to the weapon. If the subweapon is made of Ruby, and the new weapon adds Amethyst and Sapphire, the new weapon will be made of Ruby, Amethyst and Sapphire.
3) Any inherits the subweapon has will not be carried over to the weapon, only the ingredients are. If "A" normally has +5ATK and inherits +8000ATK from a stronger subweapon, and "B" uses "A" as a subweapon, then "B" will only have +5ATK.
4) If more than one subweapon is used in crafting a weapon, all subweapons other than the first are entirely discarded and not used in any way.
5) If additional ingredients are used in making the weapon on top of a subweapon's ingredients, then sometimes they will be overwritten. I don't have details on this. Adding 3 Rubies to a 3-Emerald subweapon made the weapon have 3 Rubies, but adding 3 Amethysts to that 3-Ruby subweapon gave the new weapon 2 Rubies and 1 Amethyst.

This limits what you can do, but here's what you really get out of this.
If I want to craft a Fur (L) onto a Frost Edge, the RP cost leaps from 26 to 702.
If I want to craft a Frost Edge and Fur (L) onto a Short Dagger, the cost goes from 10 to 23 for the Frost Edge, then 23 to 315 for the Fur (L).

The two items I get from these are:
[Water] 96ATK 10DEF 3MATK 5MDEF 3DIZ 3%SLPATK Frost Edge (438G)
[Water] 96ATK 10DEF 3MATK 5MDEF 3DIZ 3%SLPATK Short Dagger (45G)
..so it seems they're functionally identical, yet I more than halved the RP cost. The only difference would be that they look different and sell for less, I guess. I didn't actually try them out in combat, though.

Another example is if I use a Wind Edge instead of Frost Edge.
If I want to add a Fur (L) to a Wind Edge, the cost leaps from 50 to 1302, and my max RP is 808. Pretty much guaranteed failure.
If I add a base Wind Edge and Fur (L) to a Short Dagger, the cost goes 10, 35, 327. Much more reasonable, and it has the added bonus of being able to actually craft it.
..as a side note, if I try upgrading a Wind Edge (or a Short Dagger that inherits Wind Edge) with Fur (L), it costs 5000 RP. Not happening.

A word of warning though: if I take my new Fur(L) Short Dagger (Wind Edge inherit) and put it into a new Short Dagger, the cost only increases from 10 to 15. Adding a second Fur(L) into that is 307. It would seem I can keep improving (up to the limit of 3 ingredients) by chain-crafting like this as I find new ingredients. However, the Wind Edge's inherits are lost if I do that. Weapons do not inherit the stats of the original weapon in the chain, only the ingredient effects.

What I can do, is create a new Wind Edge with the 2xFur(L) Short Dagger as a subweapon. This will give me a Wind Edge with the 2xFur(L) effect, but with the terrible stats of the Short Dagger. If I then create a new Short Dagger using the 2xFur(L) Wind Edge as a subweapon, it will give me a Short Dagger with 2xFur(L) effect and the much better stats of a Wind Edge.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 11, 2013

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I have a feeling it doesn't work for resists. Or at least my attempt didn't work. I tried crafting all of my brooches into a new brooch and then ran into a pile of mages to test it. I was still taking full damage.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
This game is about farming right.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

This game is about farming right.
Farming so you can make enough money to fund crafting, yes. :colbert:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Okay, the difficulty in this game is legitimate. Delirium Lava Ruins is kicking my butt (on hard)- I've died a good number of times because a cat lady gets a lucky hit and I go flying in the air, then am comboed 100% to 0%. Ouch. I'm like level 62 and with very solid upgraded gear.

It is fun, though, much better than RF3's easy to break curve. Just wish I could tech jump out of flying eighty feet in the air though.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 11, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
A craftable Turtle Shield might help you out a bit, it gives 75% Knock(up?) Resistance. Level 20 crafting, Turtle Shell + Bronze + Liquids (glue).

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've been playing this non-stop since release and I have to say, this is pretty much a perfect game. It's like cookie clicker mixed with WoW, aka pure digital crack. I'm at the 2nd story arc's boss and I have about ~60 hours on the clock. I just need...every....recipe...

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Giant Boy Detective posted:

That's sweet as hell! Where was the node you got the light ore in? Does light ore add the other weapon's stats on top of the first weapon's, or replace the first weapon's stats with the other weapon's?

I got it on Maya road out of one of the gem nodes. I think it was an emerald node. And yes, as was already said the new weapon's stats are replaced, not added to.

Fru Fru posted:

I have a feeling it doesn't work for resists. Or at least my attempt didn't work. I tried crafting all of my brooches into a new brooch and then ran into a pile of mages to test it. I was still taking full damage.

I don't think it works for resists because resistance is a stat and unlike weapons, stats aren't inherited in accessories, at least as far as I've seen.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Here are some more tips/info:

Move your shipping/fertilizer/feed/materials bins into your house so they are within easy teleport access. After you finish clearing your fields, port back and dump everything. This especially helps when you are running to all 4 seasonal fields in the morning and trying to sell seeds before 8 am so you can buy them again (OCD seed leveling).

Festivals scale...somehow. I don't know if it is with your level or the year in game or what. But the first year, I was able to easily win all the crop festivals with level 10 turnips or even a level 8 out of season spinach for winter. Now I am in year 3 and can barely even place 3rd with a level 10 crop. I recommend getting some giant ones ready. There is also some kind of bug or glitch that I found. I tried to hand in a giant pineapple and he told me he can't accept it because it wasn't grown in my fields. It was grown in the summer field, which should be ok. I have used stuff grown in the other fields before with no problems, so I'm not sure what the issue is. But I definitely grew that pineapple.

The same goes for the buddy battle. Year 3, I tried using my 100+ level boss monsters and they got destroyed by everyone else's pets. Not sure what to recommend for that.

If you want to use a shop and no one is working, invite them to your party and bring them in the store. Talk to them and you can go shopping.

After orichalcum, Lean wants turnip's miracle. You can get this in Rune Prana.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Since everyone else is posting tips: I don't think you need to ship seeds to have the seeds at the general store level up; I have never shipped a single seed in this game (or RF3 for that matter) and the general store seed levels are still whatever level the crops I've shipped are. It's probably a lot cheaper and easier just to grow the seeds you get from your sickle, and alternate selling crops/buying seeds to cut down once they grow, rather than trying to increase the level every crop generation (though it won't be as fast).

I'm loving this game. Porcoline is the best. If you haven't told him you love him, you should probably try it :kimchi:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I addded Revol's page-100 tips to the first post.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah I was going for speed but the seeds in the shop will level with crops or seeds shipped. Whatever is higher. The reason I had level 10 turnips so early is caused I lucked into one as a drop somewhere and just sold it.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So I found that you get Project X (failed synthesis items) from the random requests from the request box. They're not a bad way to grind your resist ailments skills- drink one before bed!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Those random requests have a lot of weird stuff from them. There's plenty of things that might only come from those, so its a good idea to ship any weird poo poo you get so Raven/Arthur might stock them.

Has anyone come across puppet strings? They seem like they'd come from the mansion boss, but I've killed it every day for a couple months now with nothing but dolls and fur balls.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 12, 2013

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Blhue posted:

Those random requests have a lot of weird stuff from them. There's plenty of things that might only come from those, so its a good idea to ship any weird poo poo you get so Raven/Arthur might stock them.

Has anyone come across puppet strings? They seem like they'd come from the mansion boss, but I've killed it every day for a couple months now with nothing but dolls and fur balls.

The mansion boss can drop strings but I've only seen them drop once.

Of course I'd just gotten some from a request immediately before that...

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well gently caress. Apparently they can't be harvested from her after taming either, and now I have the weirdness of having a barn occupied by the demonic alter ego of one of my girlfriends.

Edit: Oh god, she's ridable.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 12, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dragongem posted:

So I found that you get Project X (failed synthesis items) from the random requests from the request box. They're not a bad way to grind your resist ailments skills- drink one before bed!

This is an excellent idea! I'll have to start doing that.

Blhue posted:

Well gently caress. Apparently they can't be harvested from her after taming either, and now I have the weirdness of having a barn occupied by the demonic alter ego of one of my girlfriends.

Edit: Oh god, she's ridable.

Rideable monsters are the best monsters though - that way you can tame a high level monster, ride it, and direct its attacks so that you're not dependent on the AI bothering to try to hit something. It's how I've gone through the Sharance Maze absurdly early. There's no way in hell I'm actually supposed to be there yet, but tossing on a wind pendant and using the monster buff abilities makes everything a cakewalk (until I get knocked off the monster and two-shotted, but that's a risk I'm willing to take).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a breakdown of the stuff the magnifying glass tells you when you examine a plot? Also: what specifically do fertilizer and greenifier do? Any downside on the soil quality?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The magnifying glass gives you a ton of information on the plot's status, without really telling you what much of it means. Formulas add a growth multiplier that accelerates the plant's progress to maturity, while greenifier adds to the quality level of the plant. If there's any downside, I haven't noticed it. The plots do have a "health" stat, which changes, but I don't know if using either of those correlates to it diminishing. I assumed it was the same as a plot's restedness from RF3.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I was going to ask for a crafting guide, but I stumbled upon one. If you want to try crafting without bread, here you go. http://therunefactory.wikia.com/wiki/Forging_%28RF4%29

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a list of items with effects other than straight up +Stat? Like using the magnifying glass to add it's effect to sickles/etc?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a list of items with effects other than straight up +Stat? Like using the magnifying glass to add it's effect to sickles/etc?

Not really other than the japanese wiki, and some items like the magnifying glass don't tell you they'll do something. Here's a list that of everything I got that I picked up online either from the wiki through google translate or elsewhere.

Double steel and 10-fold steel: Will double or 6x a previous upgrade, each can only be applied once.
Invisible stone: makes your weapons invisible.
Rare cans and 4-leaf clovers: rare cans increase your rare item drop rate while clovers just increase your drop rate in general (rare cans might only be applicable to weapons).
White stone: ??? (not sure, applies to family members somehow)
Shade stone: reduces enemy resistances
Glitta Augite: increases your weapon range
Elder dragon scales: applying to your shield will have their stats actually affect dual-wielding/gloves.
Magnifying glass: adds the magnifying glass effect
Gold crops: adds instant kill effect
Object X : Reverses previous upgrade?
The 4 colored cores together: ???
Fish: apparently increases certain fish spawns

Light Ore: for forging, not for upgrading, which another goon detailed earlier. I haven't experimented around too much with forging custom equipment yet, but if I understand it correctly, light ore will let you transfer gear base stats to something else, so it's possible to for example put your ultimate axe's stats into a spoon.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Speedball posted:

Is there a breakdown of the stuff the magnifying glass tells you when you examine a plot? Also: what specifically do fertilizer and greenifier do? Any downside on the soil quality?

The main use for greenifiers that I've had is to get seeds that are normally outside your sickle's normal level range.

I was trying to get a level 10 crop to ship for a request and I only had the gold tier sickle which topped out at level 8 seeds. I ended up dumping greenifiers on my crops until the Quality was >1.0 and got the level 9 and 10 seeds that way.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Is there a rhyme or reason to the breakpoints where you will learn a new formula from bread? My forging is at level 63, but I only have been able to learn the platinum axe recpie so far - yet, my logging skill is HALF my farming skill. What gives? I know for weapon formulas going to level 30 in the particular weapon unlocks orichalum-level recipes from eating bread, but what the heck is going on with farming bread?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nostrum posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason to the breakpoints where you will learn a new formula from bread? My forging is at level 63, but I only have been able to learn the platinum axe recpie so far - yet, my logging skill is HALF my farming skill. What gives? I know for weapon formulas going to level 30 in the particular weapon unlocks orichalum-level recipes from eating bread, but what the heck is going on with farming bread?

Are you sure you learned the platinum axe recipe from bread? You can also learn the final tool recipes from treasure boxes, though supposedly the hammer line requires you to have a full family first.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember I got the platinum axe way after the others too, I think it might just have a bug in its skill requirements. Other than that, the only other weirdness is for weapon skills, you also need skill with wielding any given weapon type to unlock new weapons for that type. Your spell skills may also contribute to you learning to make staves that buff a particular spell type too, but I'm not certain of that.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Well I was dating 5/6 boys in town when Dylas finally proposed. The wedding scene takes FOREVER but now I have the option to call him Horsie if I want. Does anyone know if you can change pet names again later on? I got sick of him calling me Princess for a year while we were dating.

Also in case anyone is curious, after the proposal, it goes immediately to your wedding which is the next day. So make sure you do whatever you need to before the event.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is scrap metal useful for anything at all?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Is scrap metal useful for anything at all?

Gifting to Bado. Doing junk upgrades to level your forging. Uh that's all I can think of.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Oh, so anyone looking to trigger the next story arc after the first one/credit rolls, just walk out of town normally. I found it out by accident when I decided to gather some fertilizer. If you're like me you've probably been using the airship to travel instead of walking out of town. Remember to bring a villager with you since they get unique dialogue.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kinda wish I could transplant trees. Now that I'm dealing with winter and have very few things growing, having my trees on a farm plot other than my central one is kinda problematic. I had a partially grown one die on me because I forgot to go over there and water. On the subject of trees, is there anything else that comes from the shining trees besides glitta augite?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
How many days does it take for a plot of soil to become healthy again without any use of fertilizer or dried weeds?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I have a levelizer. Is there any reason not to stuff the bottle down my gullet right away? e.g. would it be more effective later?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well, levels start to take longer later on, obviously, but I don't think its worth storing up.

Edit: Just had an npc tell me there's a fungus that appears on Selphia Plain on fridays which drops a rare type of spore. Probably holy spore, since I haven't found that yet. Will update when I check that out.

Edit2: The fucker didn't drop anything. And he doesn't respawn same day, so you only get a chance at whatever he drops once a week. Better be something good with such a bottleneck.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 15, 2013

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Blhue posted:

Well, levels start to take longer later on, obviously, but I don't think its worth storing up.

Edit: Just had an npc tell me there's a fungus that appears on Selphia Plain on fridays which drops a rare type of spore. Probably holy spore, since I haven't found that yet. Will update when I check that out.

Edit2: The fucker didn't drop anything. And he doesn't respawn same day, so you only get a chance at whatever he drops once a week. Better be something good with such a bottleneck.

It is Holy Spore. The monster also appears in higher level field dungeons, I've yet to get that drop from it there though.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
I reloaded and killed him like 4 times and he dropped the spore. I don't have any recipes that use it now but I guess eventually?

Another conditional spawn is Typhoon. He spawns...during typhoons! Go to the bridge east of Sercerezo Hill to fight him. He drops the mealy apple. Same thing as the mushroom so save before if you want it.

I just sold a turnip heaven in my shop for close to 400k, now I can buy all my ridiculous boss drops back from Raven.

Also I think I stumbled into Arthur's reverse proposal and wow I did not expect this backstory in this game.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well gently caress, I guess I have to actually let a typhoon happen then. I've been ordering them to leave with my princely grace. Where do turnip heavens come from? I have a ton of things that need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Blhue posted:

Well gently caress, I guess I have to actually let a typhoon happen then. I've been ordering them to leave with my princely grace. Where do turnip heavens come from? I have a ton of things that need them.

Do requests until you get the one to give one to Arthur. It will give you the golden turnip seed and I think the recipe? Maybe I already had the recipe. After you complete the request you can buy gold turnip seeds from the shop. They take forever to grow even with maxed out growth speed on the soil but seems like it will be a pretty good money maker.

I really wanna know what happens if you buy that 200m shack.

• Locked thread