Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shalinor posted:

You get compared to Minecraft. If people see polygons or boxes, you're a Minecraft ripoff. People have accused Hot Tin Roof of being a Minecraft copy, I poo poo you not. If people see triangles instead of rectangles, thankfully there's no immediate comparison... but I bet you'd get called a ripoff of Kentucky Route Zero.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I honestly think some people just accuse every loving game out there of being a Minecraft ripoff, that's the only explanation I can think of for some of the games I see people accuse of being Minecraft ripoffs.

Well, I guess that means this article can be considered real now. :v:

Shalinor posted:

It seems like the era of low-poly art was so short as to be missed by almost all of today's gaming kids, and there's very little in those generations that people actively WANT to go back to. The era of low-polygon was ALSO the era of the beautiful high-res PS1 spritework, so people remember the one and give the other a pretty wide berth. Anything left in the gap that's quality gets an HD remake, and there you go.

I always thought that the early 3D days were interesting. Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing hit the arcades when everything else at the time was a 2D fighting game. Expensive consoles that could do 3D graphics, such as the 3DO and Jaguar, along with the 32X, were coming out during the height of the 16-bit days, well after the CD add-ons and FMV games craze came and went. It seemed like, due to how expensive the prospects of 3D were at that short period of time, nobody really recalls those days, and it got lost in the shuffle between the tail end of the Genesis/SNES era and the beginning of the PS1/Saturn era. I own a 3DO and the 32X, so playing through those games now is like playing through this forgotten era of time when people were experimenting with 3D despite all the limitations they went through.

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: For the love of god, someone find a good Kickstarter. Post it. Doesn't even have to be a new one, just something interesting that happened in one. This is a neat conversation, but we're massively off-topic.

Was this brought up: something about a ColecoVision app. I think it's an app? There's a bunch of 3D models showing a console, but they keep mentioning an app so I'm confused as to what exactly this is supposed to be. I don't even know what the market for this would be, as I'm assuming there isn't a huge market for pre-NES-era nostalgic gaming that isn't just an Atari 2600 clone.

EDIT: Oh, it was brought up. I'm actually a fan of the ColecoVision, but like probably anybody who has any interest in the platform, I already own the hardware and several games for it. I can't imagine the market for this thing.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think 'minecraft ripoff' has basically become one of those idiotic self-propelling memes. Whoever says it may or may not mean it, but the opportunity is there and therefore it has to be said.

My memory of the early, low-poly days is almost exclusively of PC games, and PC graphics of that era are really not much to be nostalgic for. The hook, from what I recall, was scope: truly three-dimensional environments, enemies that could leap, tumble and run without looking like sprites being slid around on a transparent background. Escaping the Vortex Rikers prison ship in Unreal, and finding yourself at the top of gaming's very own version of the Victoria Falls.

I don't think indie devs couldn't do the same thing (though I'm not sure it would evoke the same sense of wonder and 'look at what this passthrough voodoo card can do!') but I'm not sure there's much of a challenge or point to doing it. I can't make the same comments about the console side of things, though.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Shalinor posted:

The reason modern games don't play with palette rotation is that you can't. Literally can't. Graphics cards haven't supported palette-based rendering on average in nearly a decade. I'll probably write a system to implement a palette eventually, for funsies, but it will be a ridiculously expensive algorithm. I assume some others have done the same, but it's an advanced technique / super expensive trick these days.
Is it really that expensive? Seems like a fairly simple shader where you set up a large mapping--probably via the use of another texture--and sample each pixel from that mapping. This is totally off topic though, maybe we could post about it in either game development thread.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: For the love of god, someone find a good Kickstarter. Post it. Doesn't even have to be a new one, just something interesting that happened in one. This is a neat conversation, but we're massively off-topic.

Your wish is my command!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

Not sure if this might have cropped up over the last few weeks, but its relatively new as far as I can tell.

Basic plot summary: Humanity of the future left Earth, settled the stars, and built itself a new Empire. But that empire is starting to crack as fringe worlds rebel against a new and untested Empress, and its fleet is divided as the means of FTL travel they use is sabotaged.

Your job: Fix this.

I'm a sucker for space exploration and combat, though I do feel slightly worried on just how big a game this could really be, as an Indie project.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Was this brought up: something about a ColecoVision app. I think it's an app? There's a bunch of 3D models showing a console, but they keep mentioning an app so I'm confused as to what exactly this is supposed to be. I don't even know what the market for this would be, as I'm assuming there isn't a huge market for pre-NES-era nostalgic gaming that isn't just an Atari 2600 clone.

Yeah, I brought it up. It's basically an emulator with a really fancy frontend and some cool extras.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Astro Nut posted:

Your wish is my command!

Not sure if this might have cropped up over the last few weeks, but its relatively new as far as I can tell.

Basic plot summary: Humanity of the future left Earth, settled the stars, and built itself a new Empire. But that empire is starting to crack as fringe worlds rebel against a new and untested Empress, and its fleet is divided as the means of FTL travel they use is sabotaged.

I'm a sucker for space exploration and combat, though I do feel slightly worried on just how big a game this could really be, as an Indie project.
This looks pretty neat and their little ship builder thing is fun to mess around with for a few minutes. It's a shame they're never going to get $500k.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also, since we're posting Kickstarters:

Pulsar: Lost Colony is a game I saw a little while ago and it looked pretty interesting. Either I wasn't paying much attention or it wasn't up on Kickstarter then, but it's definitely there now, so check it out. It's sort of like a first person co-op FTL with sequences that take place on planets in addition to just your ship.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I should point out that the Legend of the Lance kickstarter team isn't going to shun suggestions, if you have any. While I backed it due to this thread, I linked them the PA report with Zeboyd games and asked them to please pass it to the entire team because that $350k stretch tier is going to bankrupt them if they leave it how it is. They're completely underestimating the cost of physical media and shipping to a ton of backers.

I kinda expected to be ignored or told they had a handle on it, but I got a reply back that the team will read the article and discuss options tomorrow. In the end they could just say screw it and keep it the way it is, but hey, I just like seeing teams that are willing to adapt and take criticism. :shobon:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Mandate looks fantastic, and it all seems pretty do-able with the big blinking exception of simultaneous boarding and ship-to-ship combat, which looks like it would just be a clusterfuck. Also, I'm not sure why they launched before the demo character creator was made and the ship builder had more than two parts, though I guess that's probably good update fodder.

Speaking of mandates, the SC2VN has <4 days to make 2.5k. That seems feasible but I dunno. There's only about 100 backers atm so unless they've completely tapped the esports+VN audience there's room to grow. They've certainly rolled out a lot of updates and the "battle" system seemed interesting.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Mandate has a bunch of game dev vets and it seems to be pretty far along and yet the release is 2015 so while ambitious it seems pretty realistic. They did give themselves 60 days on their KS so that is a lot of time to ramp up marketing.

Having a $10 tier with no actual game seems like a mistake though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Your wish is my command!

Backed the gently caress out of this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahaha, a couple of people upset in the comments of the Shadowrun kickstarter because of an update about their (failed/terrible idea/super-niche) Golem Arcana project.

And yeah, the Mandate just seems really cool. But to be fair I've really mostly seen concept art. Either way, I hope it comes out and I hope they get some solid promotional space from websites. I love Russian voice overs, too. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shalinor posted:

How about a game that will eventually end up on kickstarter? :)

This was posted in the RPG thread, seems kind of neat: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/game/ FAQ says they'll probably do a kickstarter for it. Depending on how it develops (I'm not really sure how the side scrolling gameplay will mesh with the tactical gameplay) it's the kind of project I wouldn't mind backing. Seems like a unique concept.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How about a game that will eventually end up on kickstarter? :)

This was posted in the RPG thread, seems kind of neat: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/game/ FAQ says they'll probably do a kickstarter for it. Depending on how it develops (I'm not really sure how the side scrolling gameplay will mesh with the tactical gameplay) it's the kind of project I wouldn't mind backing. Seems like a unique concept.

This looks awesome and I can't wait to give them my money.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DarkstarIV posted:

Some fighting game called Air Dash Online.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289882404/air-dash-online-the-competitive-platform-fighter

It says its inspired by the Smash community. Although I sorta question the $355,555 funding goal. Seems a little high to me, but then again, I really don't follow Kickstarter that much. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here!
Characters look like they're from a generic Korean F2P MMO. Like, not technically bad, just intensely boring. If they'd gone with stylized pixel art ala Hyper Light Drifter they'd probably be printing money.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drifter posted:

Ahaha, a couple of people upset in the comments of the Shadowrun kickstarter because of an update about their (failed/terrible idea/super-niche) Golem Arcana project.

loving gamers, man.

quote:

You dare insult us Linux users by releasing SR for tablets BEFORE Linux and than you posting cheap advertisement instead of actual news?
Great, just great!
Ask me later. Like, in the next century.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drifter posted:

And yeah, the Mandate just seems really cool. But to be fair I've really mostly seen concept art. Either way, I hope it comes out and I hope they get some solid promotional space from websites. I love Russian voice overs, too. :allears:

Golem Arcana looks like a great concept to me, just crazy expensive.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cicero posted:

Characters look like they're from a generic Korean F2P MMO. Like, not technically bad, just intensely boring.

It's really weird isn't it? Like with those bucketloads of Korean MMOs the artwork is technically competent and looks polished and detailed as hell but none of the characters have any...character.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

... an update about their (failed/terrible idea/super-niche) Golem Arcana project.

I don't know that I'd call it failed either. It is going to be close, but I'm pretty sure they are going to make it based on how fast its been moving up since it hit 48 hours. I guess we'll see.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King Burgundy posted:

I don't know that I'd call it failed either. It is going to be close, but I'm pretty sure they are going to make it based on how fast its been moving up since it hit 48 hours. I guess we'll see.

Just covering my bases about what people see it as. ;)
I think those were among the top five goon descriptions about that kickstarter back when it first went live.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was mildly annoyed, mainly because I've been waiting on a patch for SRR for a couple of months-- their last one hosed things up in precisely the way it was supposed to fix things for other people. Otherwise, eh. They wouldn't be the first outfit to do something like that, and it probably is going to be pretty close either way.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bieeardo posted:

I was mildly annoyed, mainly because I've been waiting on a patch for SRR for a couple of months-- their last one hosed things up in precisely the way it was supposed to fix things for other people. Otherwise, eh. They wouldn't be the first outfit to do something like that, and it probably is going to be pretty close either way.

I'm a bit pissed off too. I wanted that native Linux support.

There also is a hillarious bug. Sometimes an attack instead of going to the proper target goes towards every thing on the map. This looks great (a massive whirlwind of bullets). The bad news is that it does not discriminate between friends and foes and I tend to play squishy mage-ish characters for my main character. They don't tend take the autoshotgun burst to the chest from one meter away very well. And the checkpoints can be far away...

So, yeah. I'd like my Linux support or at least some bugfixes for stuff that ain't quite right.

I still love that game, given what I paid for it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I can certainly understand being annoyed (heck, I'm a backer of Golem Arcana already and it still managed to annoyed me. I want news on Berlin, dammit), but the way some people in the comments are carrying on you'd think that HBS had emailed them all a picture of their moms being violated.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Cicero posted:

Characters look like they're from a generic Korean F2P MMO. Like, not technically bad, just intensely boring. If they'd gone with stylized pixel art ala Hyper Light Drifter they'd probably be printing money.

It's that odd melange of steampunk and Asian fantasy, but where you can't really identify what most of the characters are just by looking at them. And with fighting games, you kind of need to look at a character and get some idea of what their gimmick is, I think, to latch onto. Not... "It's a anthropomorphic bunny... kung-fu... wheat farmer?"

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tensokuu posted:

I should point out that the Legend of the Lance kickstarter team isn't going to shun suggestions, if you have any. While I backed it due to this thread, I linked them the PA report with Zeboyd games and asked them to please pass it to the entire team because that $350k stretch tier is going to bankrupt them if they leave it how it is. They're completely underestimating the cost of physical media and shipping to a ton of backers.

I kinda expected to be ignored or told they had a handle on it, but I got a reply back that the team will read the article and discuss options tomorrow. In the end they could just say screw it and keep it the way it is, but hey, I just like seeing teams that are willing to adapt and take criticism. :shobon:

I mentioned this before, but at that stretch goal level more than half of their money could come from people at the $10 level, who would be costing the project more than $10 in printing and shipping fees. Just the fact that no one in the group noticed that is a red flag for me, and to be frank it seems stupid to me to back them if they actually wind up close to that benchmark, because it will undoubtedly ruin the project.

The horse armor is super cool looking, but honestly just about everything about the stretch goals makes me wary as hell, and the "everyone gets a book!" level is just plain stupid.

e: on double checking, the $10 tier is limited to 1800 not 18000, so only $18000/$350000 could come from that level, not half like I mistakenly thought. Still a bad financial call, but not as terrible as I thought. Also, am I fully crazy, or did it used to say book + box + manual? Now it only says the latter two, and combined with the added 0 I'm wondering if I was just completely unable to read last night.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 14, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Also, am I fully crazy, or did it used to say book + box + manual? Now it only says the latter two, and combined with the added 0 I'm wondering if I was just completely unable to read last night.

Don't worry. What would the internet be without a little incoherence in its opinions?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I honestly think some people just accuse every loving game out there of being a Minecraft ripoff, that's the only explanation I can think of for some of the games I see people accuse of being Minecraft ripoffs.

My favorite "Minecraft Ripoff" is Blockland, a game which was released 5 years before Minecraft.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Astro Nut posted:

Your wish is my command!

Backed this at the $40 level, it looks awesome and I hope they make it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It's not a "game" per se, but I don't think that this project, to put together a book featuring cabinet art from classic arcade machines has been linked here yet.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Astro Nut posted:

Your wish is my command!

I want to believe in this, but the the pitch just hasn't convinced me. I still don't get how the game is going to play - from the description given it could be a 4X with more interactive combat, X3 with more of a story, or anything in between. Plus I find it very weird that the pitch video only features only the artist and not the project lead.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Backed this at the $40 level, it looks awesome and I hope they make it.

Me too. I'm hoping there's an add-on to get a second copy, otherwise you have to go up to the $100 pledge level.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's not a "game" per se, but I don't think that this project, to put together a book featuring cabinet art from classic arcade machines has been linked here yet.

Wow, that looks really tempting. I don't know if I can budget it, but it's an impressive selection of classic vidgame arts.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One cool thing about low-poly 3D art is that animating 3D models is substantially less work than animating pixel art (what with not having to redraw every frame, and giving you way more flexibility with your framerate because the computer can fill in the gaps between key frames), so that would be an avenue for indies to push animation. Although it would still be hard to compete with the animation tech being used by big companies - Inverse Kinematics is the big thing in game animation now and it's REALLY complex to get looking right, but basically impossible to match with traditional animation.

Low poly 3D art which draws heavy inspiration from brutalist art/architecture with lots of sharp angles and flat surfaces is exactly the route Massive Chalice is taking - in part because it allows them to generate a lot of assets cheaply while remaining very recognizable from a tactical/isometric-ish view.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
As a side-note, the Skyjacker people also seem to be vouching for the one-man-development-studio who's making Universum:

quote:

This game was done by ... ONE MAN! No jokes! Just in brief: "I’m a guy, who decided to stop just to dream, but to make it real. Being a professional 3D & 2D artist, game designer, programmer, and even music composer, I spent 10 years of my life working for game companies as their Lead Artist, Art Director and project manager. Finally I decided to leave my last job, staying home like a hermit for a while, and focusing on my own game development. The game you see here is a result of my personal day to day hard work over a year, and I pretty sure I can do even more with your help and support.”

In addition, Kirill is from Kiev and he worked in our team before, doing graphics for our "Red Coin" game (we hope to renew its development after SKYJACKER release)

I'm not actually that interested in the game itself and I'm not backing it, but I still think this is pretty badass.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DoctorTristan posted:

I want to believe in this, but the the pitch just hasn't convinced me. I still don't get how the game is going to play - from the description given it could be a 4X with more interactive combat, X3 with more of a story, or anything in between. Plus I find it very weird that the pitch video only features only the artist and not the project lead.
Lack of gameplay video + a completely untried team + $500k goal isn't selling me even remotely. They don't have a Tim Schafer, so I really kinda want to see more than concept art.

I get there's a ship builder, that isn't what I mean. Show me some actual gameplay. Shadowrun asked for less, and showed way the heck more. So did that stealth/adventure game about directing the woman around the futuristic lab/business (started as mobile-only, finally went desktop too at behest of community).

EDIT: there's this, but looks to just be a concept render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTzpSnVjLc

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 14, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Reminder: Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim has a demo coming out this week. They need about $1k a day to reach their goal, so this'll probably decide if they sink or swim.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Shalinor posted:

Lack of gameplay video + a completely untried team + $500k goal isn't selling me even remotely. They don't have a Tim Schafer, so I really kinda want to see more than concept art.

I get there's a ship builder, that isn't what I mean. Show me some actual gameplay. Shadowrun asked for less, and showed way the heck more. So did that stealth/adventure game about directing the woman around the futuristic lab/business (started as mobile-only, finally went desktop too at behest of community).

EDIT: there's this, but looks to just be a concept render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTzpSnVjLc

I emailed the devs with a bunch of questions about the gameplay, they said it was okay to share their response here.

I asked them:

quote:

My main concern is that after watching the video I still don't know how the game is going to play. From the description it could be anything from a 4X with more story to a shooter with boarding actions, or anything in between.

I have a bunch of other questions/concerns too. I realise this is quite a long list, but would appreciate any response to these. If I've thought of these then I'm sure that other potential backers have as well.

* At the very least, I'd want to know what I'll be *looking* at during gameplay. Will I spend most of my play time looking at a galaxy map, the cutaway view of the ship's interior, or something else?
* Is the ship-to-ship combat shown in the video representative of gameplay, or will it just be a cutscene?
* That same video shows two fleets fighting - is acquiring a fleet a thing in the game?
* How much control do I have over my ship and/or crew during combat?
* Is combat real-time or turn-based? You describe it as an RTS halfway down the page, but you also compare it to Jagged Alliance and X-COM, which are very much turn-based. Plus the UI mockup looks similar to the X-COM remake, which could easily lead people to assume it's turn-based.
* How does the simultaneous ship combat/boarding action work? Can you control both simultaneously, or do you have to pick just one and leave the other to AI control? If the latter, won't this become frustrating for the player when the AI loses a bunch of ships/crew by playing badly?

Finally, I'm surprised that the pitch video only features the Art Director. I would normally expect the project lead to introduce the project, or at the very least to feature prominently in the pitch. Why did you decide not to feature him?

Their response was:

quote:

Pirates! and Mount & Blade are two of our inspirations for the diplomacy and adventure travel mode. This is when you will be roaming around the galaxy.

For base management, research and manufacturing the original Xcom is a huge inspiration for us. You will need to recover tech or research new tech to unlock and upgrade both your base and your shipyard

For ship combat, one of our inspirations is Klingon Academy, Star Trek Starfleet Command and Star Trek Online. However, our combat will be more slow paced than these games and give the players time to think.

For our boarding combat, we are inspired by Jagged Alliance, Xcom and Men of War.

As for how much time you will dedicate to either travel, starbase management or ship/boarding combat, that will be a bit up to your personal playstyle. We intend that each of these sections take up 20 - 40 % of your time. But some players will prefer exploration via adventure map to search out rumors and derelict ships, while others just want to board and take prize ships. This is up to you as a player to decide.

The ship-to-ship combat in the video is representative of the gameplay. We have a proper gameplay trailer in the works and will also roll out additional gameplay videos over the coming weeks.

You start the game with one old frigate and will eventually work your way up and may deploy a battle squadron. Check out yourcrew.mandategame.com for more details, a late game player ship setup is shown at the end of the article.

You will have full control over your ship during combat, including power management, maneuvering, aiming weapons etc. Some of these functions can be automated if you prefer.

Combat is real-time. Generally it is a good idea to disable an enemy ship that you wish to later board, rather than start boarding in the middle of combat. This is where NPC escort ships or other player ships could defend you in case you focus your attention on boarding.

You will be able to swap between ship control and boarding combat to issue orders to your troops. More details on this will come later.

I do not yet have a video setup at home which allows me to record videos well. We are purchasing green screens to record dev diaries and commentaries soon. Do not worry, I will show my face soon enough.

They also asked me to mention the following:

quote:

1) Our team is new, our devs are not. Some are not mentioned due to contractual reasons but we have a lot of experience combined.

2) We do not list the traditional pie chart under "risk & challenges" as we believe it may give a false sense of security for potential backers. Instead we have a rather lengthy answer from our devs. Hopefully this answer will reassure potential backers that we know what we are doing.

3) We have gotten some feedback on the voice acting, particularly the Spanish and English versions. These videos are accented by design as the Empress is of the House of Romanov [which ruled Imperial Russia]. Her mother tongue is Russian.

Even after reading that I'm still not any clearer on what exactly this is. Combining so many different genres like that could be amazing if done right, but I'm going to need to see some actual gameplay demos before I can decide whether you've got a team that can pull off something that ambitious.

They claim that gameplay videos are coming 'in the next few weeks', but they really should have waited until those were ready before they stuck their hat out. Instead they launched with a bunch of concept art and a pitch led by the artist because the producer hasn't set his camera up yet (seriously, :what:?!). If you're asking for half a million dollars your pitch needs to be polished to a mirror shine, so put a proper demo together and buy a loving camera.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shalinor posted:

GoD Factory has three days left and could really use a bit of love! It's not too late for a final day surge.

Here's a video from this weekend showing the current totally playable state of the alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3uiMvMtjHs

We've had a bit of a resurgence in space flight sims recently, but I haven't really seen any with this particular sort of competitive team based multiplayer focus. It has heavy Armored Core-like customization and what I think is a really good looking organic art style. Every little bit helps!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Every time I post in here I swear I've seen the thing I'm posting before, but here we go again: castAR, augmented reality glasses from the people who no longer work at Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Solway Garr posted:

I take it you've not played, Kickstarter backed game, Kentucky Route Zero.

It's also interesting to note that pixel art on a monitor is totally different from pixel art on a 90's CRT

Check out the bricks in particular, people at the time weren't trying to make pixel art, and the super sharp stuff you get now wasn't even possible.

Don't most emulators have options to add things like TV blur or scan lines if you don't want super sharp images or smoothed out ones? I like playing some old SNES games with the hq4x smoothing on them but you should be able to get away from the crisp look of a monitor as well.

EDIT: THE GHOSTS OF THE FORUM SUGGEST NOT REPLYING TO THIS AND LETTING THE OFF-TOPIC HORSE DIE WITHOUT FURTHER KICKAGE. OoOOOoOooo :aaa:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 14, 2013