Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'd be intersting if either A. Shooting them in the head doesn't kill them or B. Just getting their blood on you turns you.

I think B. is what is going on. I dunno how they'd make them more of a threat other than doing the herd thing again or something that ramps up their infection factor.

Unless they say gently caress it and the zombies start using guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This is the best the show's been in a long rear end time. Zombies, drama, and zombie drama. Just like old times. The Rick storyline reminded me of Clear and while it was predictable, she was so pitiful from beginning to end that you can't help but feel sorry for her. I was really hoping she'd come along too, despite being so transparently hosed up. Daryl and Merle weren't exactly nice guys to begin with and even Merle went out as a hero so I was hoping they'd do something more with her character but I'm fine with how it is at the same time. Can't believe some people are sperging out about stupid bullshit. OH HEY GAIS GLENN AND MAGGIE SURE DO LOOK CLEAN AND PRETTY FOR BEING IN A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. SHOW SUCKS THREAD OVER.

For gently caress's sakes, don't you people know about suspension of disbelief? I mean wow. Don't you people enjoy anything?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

This has been shown numerous times - remember season 3's premiere? They cleared that initial house, all businesslike with no trouble. And again tonight, with Rick's gardening. He was chilling out and planting veggies while listening to some country music, completely nonplussed by the huge group of walkers less than ten feet from him. Walkers aren't the threat they used to be, because now the survivors have made it to almost 2 years at the very least. That's a long time to get acclimated to that particular threat. This disease that could possibly jump species from animal to human could be the rejuvenating shot the show needs in order to put some suspense and danger back into it.

Rather than having walkers continually increase in danger I like the idea of them focusing on the side problems they cause.

Walkers are a threat like any other predator, but humans are resourceful, we're good at dealing with constant threats like that. However it's the new problems introduced as a result of their destruction of society that are the real dangers. Threats from other people, diseases, just struggling to keep access to basic resources.

It wasn't long ago in our world that diseases like the flu were a major killer, just as terrifying as a zombie outbreak. Personally I think that's almost scarier to have them facing real world threats because they are things that we are only prevented from by living in modern functioning societies. Take that away and the same problems would come to us.

No More Heroes posted:

The producer on Talking Dead said 6-7 months. Also- the sneak peak of next week they showed on TD with the mysterious person with a flashlight feeding the fence walkers during the night, I bet its Carl, at the beginning of the episode Rick busted him saying he stays up all night reading comics by flashlight :staredog:

But to what end?

Carl was telling off those girls who had named the walkers, I'm thinking it's them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

For gently caress's sakes, don't you people know about suspension of disbelief? I mean wow. Don't you people enjoy anything?

There's suspension of disbelief and then theres straining credulity. Its a fine line and the show doesnt walk it well.

Really the main issue with the show is that the writing is just plain bad at times. Characters defy common sense for no other reason than the plot requires them to. Michonne never said anything specific about why she wanted to leave Woodbury becaus then Andrea would leave and we wouldnt have a POV inside Woodbury. Rick and Carl see a dying pig and dont ask the Veterinarian because they want the audience to wonder if it means something.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Just got around to watching it off the old PVR. It's not the flashiest season opener but I understand that this episode is basically the set up for what's going to happen the rest of the season. Rick with trust issues(or a renewed sense of it), possibly a new disease, new characters to kill off:unsmigghh: anddddd the best of all The Misadventures of Michonne and the Search for the One-Eyed Governor!

e: for spoilers just in case people don't appreciate the speculation

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's suspension of disbelief and then theres straining credulity. Its a fine line and the show doesnt walk it well.

Really the main issue with the show is that the writing is just plain bad at times. Characters defy common sense for no other reason than the plot requires them to. Michonne never said anything specific about why she wanted to leave Woodbury becaus then Andrea would leave and we wouldnt have a POV inside Woodbury. Rick and Carl see a dying pig and dont ask the Veterinarian because they want the audience to wonder if it means something.
These are common plot devices. Andrea knew the guv'nah took shots at Rick, had zombie heads, was personally willing to abandon Michonne when she didn't trust a suspicious gang of strangers hellbent on keeping their people from the outside world, and still acted self-righteous about how they NEED to work with not the guv'nah but <3 Philip <3. It's an annoying uncooperative personality type and Michonne knew her for a little over half a year to know how stupid and stubborn she is and would laugh at her like a moron if told about the Governor's obvious misdeeds, no deeper meaning needed. And Hershel's diagnosis wouldn't mean anything considering the show was pretty blatant that the zombie virus or something related is problem and he like as not wouldn't know what the hell it is. Or they just assume the sick pig means nothing and move on because they've gotten too used to their safety. Point is, it's a minor detail. It's not something that breaks the plot in two. These kinds of little details are all over the place in stories, even real life affairs. Unless it's something like Season 3.5 where potentially interesting characters are wasted and do nothing, or big promises are failed upon, it's not worth dwelling over.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 14, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Penakoto posted:

One thing I wonder is whatever happened to all their impromptu silencers, they had them in Season 3, but as far as I could tell from the store battle, there were none.

Suppressors wear out after a while, and I'd guess a makeshift one isn't as easily cleaned and maintained as a proper one :)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It was a very good episode. People did stuff, goods were foraged, survival systems were implemented. There was danger. Things died. Michonne did more than glower through the foliage. And Lori/Sarah Cailles was nowhere to be found. If this is what the season looks like I'm very happy. But I'd be happy with anything that is not season 2-ish.

All I'd like to see added is some churn rate applied to the main cast for the purpose of forcing the writer's hands towards a focus on outcomes and adapting.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shitenshi posted:

This is the best the show's been in a long rear end time. Zombies, drama, and zombie drama. Just like old times. The Rick storyline reminded me of Clear and while it was predictable, she was so pitiful from beginning to end that you can't help but feel sorry for her. I was really hoping she'd come along too, despite being so transparently hosed up. Daryl and Merle weren't exactly nice guys to begin with and even Merle went out as a hero so I was hoping they'd do something more with her character but I'm fine with how it is at the same time. Can't believe some people are sperging out about stupid bullshit. OH HEY GAIS GLENN AND MAGGIE SURE DO LOOK CLEAN AND PRETTY FOR BEING IN A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. SHOW SUCKS THREAD OVER.

This was an entirely solid start to the season, even if I do want to dub the ceiling thing over with a "LOUIS HAS TRIGGERED THE HORDE" message. It felt like a great FPS set piece without much logical sense behind it, but was still fun.

I do kind of wish these characters would try to work on working together in the fights more than practicing their awesome Resident Evilish finishing moves though. It felt like everybody should have had each other's backs in the first 30 seconds, but everybody just abandons Glenn for ages, not to mention not continuing to get bookshelf guy out.

Still, this evens out by Glenn being a character smart enough to wear armor, which I've been asking for from Walking Dead since day 1. Even one character consistently smart enough to do it is good enough for me. I just wish he'd don a helmet too now.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Capn Beeb posted:

Carl, Khorne, honestly what's the difference?

You have your chaos gods mixed up. :smug: Nurgle's gift will be bestowed on the prison.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The most unbelievable part of this for me was the store that was completely unlooted this entire time, they even had a camp set up outside and all of that alcohol was sitting there untouched. When the ends times are upon us the booze will be the most valuable of salvage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think it was a pretty great episode. The 'calm before the storm' kind. We got a sense of the peace they got to experience for months before the the walker threat re-emerges and they're forced to go back to living on the run and in fear.

The prison worked in season 3 because the Governer was around the corner and it was shown pretty early that he would be a threat to the prison. Now the safe and secure facility is counter to the entire point of the show and will have to be destroyed and decimate the cast in the process.

I even liked Rick's storyline because he saw the absolute lowest someone could go while trying to stay alive. All she cared about was getting food for the zombie head of the person who helped her stay alive, because when the world ends that's really all some people will have left, a single emotional attachment that they cling to even when its a chomping head in a bag. He saw what he almost became and came back from, but knowing that is still a possibility if he loses his connection to the living.

There's something to the fact that Rick still clings to his old service weapon, the revolver, even after finding a new pistol in the dirt while planting. For him it's the last tangible link to a forgotten life. Carl is now essentially an adult, having no problem putting down a kid to save the living, and the baby is a new life that killed his wife and would be a nightmare to provide for properly while on the run. It's like the story of the Jews hiding from the Nazis and a baby starts crying. Do you silence the baby even if it means killing it to save all the others? That situation will certainly come up once they no longer have a safe refuge.

Since they've gone in a new direction from the comics I really wonder who they'll keep and who dies. Daryl is still crazy popular and will probably stay, Carl and Rick are the shows main characters, Michonne is good to stick around but everyone else could bite it at any second. I bet they kill one of the season 3 regulars in the next episode.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I also thought this episode was perfectly fine. I was kind of hoping that the chick in the woods would not only become a potential love interest for Rick once she got cleaned up but would provide a counterpoint for his own craziness. When they got to the camp and he glanced at the empty bedroll, my first thought was that the husband was dead and long gone, not a zombie or anything, just fuckin dead and she's in denial and good ole seein'-ghosts insane. They could have had Rick trying to rehab her and bring her back to the land of sanity. It would have been a cool story arc over a few episodes for him to have someone around more legitimately batshit than he was after Lori checked out. Plus then he could get some romance going with her and piss off Carl, then Carl caps her like in episode 4 by "accident" because she does something crazy/unsafe, or did she? etc etc.

I liked that it looks like poo poo will actually happen this season, that they'll be forced out of the prison and back onto the road. My enjoyment of this show is inversely proportional to the amount of time they stay holed up somewhere.

Also I think folks are totally overreaching on the dead-Millhouse stuff. Zombie somehow infected that pig, Millhouse got it from the pig somehow (betting we'll learn one or both somehow next episode), and now the water can't be trusted, one more reason they have to leave. I don't think the bloodshot eyes is anything beyond "hey here is a zombie with bloodshot eyes, [later] see this dude? His eyes are bloodshot because he's a zombie now

rivetz fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 14, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody watch Talking Dead? Nathan Fillion is on it.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I'm wondering how Bob will factor into the new outbreak of pig zombosis. He's only been there a week or so, has some medical training, and seemed to be in a hurry to go out on the supply run just after the dying pig Violet is discovered.

Also, Daryl shakes Milhouse's hand after licking his fingers and soon after the boy becomes sick and dies. Hygeine dude!

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I went into this with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Maybe it's just me, but I found it really interesting to see the little survival methods and adaptations they've made. The angled doors at the front of the prison pushing walkers into spikes, the boombox on the roof to lure the walkers through the fence, the 30 days without an accident sign. All these little things are more intriguing to me than just running around shooting things all the time.

I even enjoyed Rick's subplot. At first I thought they were going to have the woman be immune to the virus or like a half-zombie or something, but I'm fine with what they went with. Anyone who didn't get that scene was obviously too busy ranting about the "fake" Irish accent (have goons actually heard a real Irish person speak, it sounds like that) to pay attention. Woman and husband were together, husband died, woman went crazy being alone and kept him around as a head in a bag, decided to feed Rick to him and when that didn't work realized that everything had gone to poo poo and offed herself. I don't get how it's confusing. She even said "He's weak, he needs fresh meat. I was going to give him the boar, but I figured I could get you back here easier." I mean yes it's a stupid idea that would never work, but that's the point, she's loving crazy and not thinking clearly out of grief.

And it wasn't completely pointless as it paralleled what Rick went through with Lori and showed how he could have easily ended up living in the woods talking to his ghost wife if he hadn't pushed through the crazy and come back to his senses. Plus I thought it was nice to continue the tradition of Rick trying to help someone and utterly failing.

The one thing I'm wondering about is the amount of blood on the sick kid at the end. Did he hit his head when he fell or was it just coming out of his eyes? And does it have anything to do with Rick looking at that bloody eyed zombie?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
The accent I found confusing tonight was the dear departed Zack. I could've sworn he was australian when he was talking to Beth but then it swerved in and out of dixieland through all of his conversations. I wonder if the writers are aware that not everyone from the south needs to have a drawl.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

whoda thunkit posted:

The accent I found confusing tonight was the dear departed Zack. I could've sworn he was australian when he was talking to Beth but then it swerved in and out of dixieland through all of his conversations. I wonder if the writers are aware that not everyone from the south needs to have a drawl.

CALL ME A BLOODY DINGOS BASTARD UNCLE, THERE'S SOME FUCKIN' ZOMBIES making GBS threads UP THE PLACE YOU loving DICKHEAD.

P.S you must have never heard an Australian speak if you think Zack sounded 1/10th Aussie.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

whoda thunkit posted:

I doubt the writers put accents into the actors lines.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Scooter_McCabe posted:

I can't believe I tuned in for this horrible poo poo. Seriously between "I'm dead already woman," "PTSD cliche red shirt black guy" and "coughing boy" there was little to be enthusiastic about. I was immediately angry at hand waving away of Carl's descent into a child soldier's mindset. "Oh cool I get to read comics now," and Rick taking up the simple life of farming with a loving IPOD.

Where the gently caress do you get an IPOD in a zombie apocalypse and how do you keep it charged? Then came the hand waving of Rick and Carl's psychological problems because its nothing that 6 months of farming and reading comic books can't cure? Then of course there is the helicopter. I couldn't tell if it was a Blackhawk or a Jolly Green but how would anyone believe a big hunk of metal like that falling out of the sky wouldn't collapse a roof of a lovely convenience store upon impact? Better yet how did the zombies get on the roof? They couldn't be from the chopper because they would be all mangled up from the crash. Did the survivors lure them up there with the boombox? Sure why not lure them onto the roof to aid even more weight because a crashed military helicopter is not enough.

Given that they likely scavanged Woodbury, and Woodbury had solar panels, and that the prison still has generators that run, it's not that far a stretch that someone can find a way to keep electronics charged

I'm not sure about the chopper, depends on how far up it was, I assume, since it was a camp area I have to imagine it crashed taking off or landing with people on board. It's not like a 747 crashing here

No More Heroes posted:

The producer on Talking Dead said 6-7 months. Also- the sneak peak of next week they showed on TD with the mysterious person with a flashlight feeding the fence walkers during the night, I bet its Carl, at the beginning of the episode Rick busted him saying he stays up all night reading comics by flashlight :staredog:

But to what end?

I'll bet it was the girl naming them and claiming they were still people

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was an interview on CNN where they said theyre making zombies more of a threat but that they're not doing fast zombies. I hope they have plans other than having redshirts die to zombies.

Well, they hinted early on in the episode the walkers weren't fanning out anymore, and you could see them grouping in places while Carol mentions having to stay on top of killing them off. I imagine it'll be overpowering en mass in multiple places at once

rivetz posted:

Also I think folks are totally overreaching on the dead-Millhouse stuff. Zombie somehow infected that pig, Millhouse got it from the pig somehow (betting we'll learn one or both somehow next episode), and now the water can't be trusted, one more reason they have to leave. I don't think the bloodshot eyes is anything beyond "hey here is a zombie with bloodshot eyes, [later] see this dude? His eyes are bloodshot because he's a zombie now

Yes, but as we've seen in the past, they don't focus on the same zombie over and again without there being something there.
I too think it had some disease that killed the person off and has managed to spread it through interaction with the fence killing brigade.
It wasn't the disease that killed Millhouse, it was the fall from passing out

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 14, 2013

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I thought the pacing was really good in this episode as well. I mean if it was an episode from earlier seasons it would have been 20 minutes of Rick and the crazy lady talking about their feelings, 20 minutes of the people in the prison talking about what they're going to do while Michonne scowls and 5 minutes of zombie screentime.

As it stands I feel like every scene had something interesting going on and none of them seemed to drag on.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Senor Tron posted:

I doubt the writers put accents into the actors lines.

Y'all be silly.

I do love that while batteries, gasoline, and ipods continue to function that birth control is still mysteriously missing from this world.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Why was Carl pissed "storytime" wasn't literally storytime? That boy's a wiener.

I liked the episode, though I hope "you can never go back to what you were" is a theme they don't labor on, because, well, no loving poo poo. I rolled my eyes pretty at Rick encouraging Carl to go to storytime. That's not something a ~13 year old kid would be into in the first place, let alone one who was forced to kill the resurrected, shambling corpses of his mother and foster father.

I don't think it's necessarily important what killed Paul Pfieffer. What's important is that the inside of the prison is no longer safe.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I think the zombie central to the episode simply had the zombie version of conjunctivitis. Milhouse got it and it did him in quick, and anyone with kids knows that stuff is seriously contagious.

Maybe season 4 will be a race to find enough Visiene and Occular Antibiotics to save the ragtag band!

Seriously though, while not the strongest episode it was still fairly solid. The Rick story line made perfect sense in the overall theme of the show. Remember the show opened with Rick telling Carl not to name the pigs. Then we had the scene where the girls are naming the walkers, and then finally the scene where the woman is still humanizing her walker-husband "Eddie". At the same time, we see how dehumanized Beth has become when finding out that her new beau got killed. It seems pretty obvious that the show was trying, through the points above to show that everyone is walking a fine line between simple survival and doing what they can to maintain normalcy and trust. Chances are we will see several decision points throughout the season that reference back to that question.

And because nobody really wants to watch a ragtag band of survivalists spout philosophy, they give us the Big Lots scene to break that narrative and provide some action, while still using that action to drive the theme of the show.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
William Fichtner is such a talented actor, such range. I couldn't believe how well he did as that crazy lady.

It was nice to see them doing the fence clearing tasks and getting into a "life behind the wire" routine. Tyrese continues to be awesome as well.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have no real complaints just a minor issue with why haven't they done more to fortify the outer fences? Even just building an outer perimeter of spikes would help.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

200+ rotting zombies in close proximity does seem like a likely disease vector, now that I think of it.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

The most unbelievable part of this for me was the store that was completely unlooted this entire time, they even had a camp set up outside and all of that alcohol was sitting there untouched. When the ends times are upon us the booze will be the most valuable of salvage.

Well, it appears it was first guarded by the National Guard, before being overrun.

When they were entering it, she mentioned that it has been thick with Walkers, but she put a boom box on the other side for a couple of days to draw them off. So small parties probably didn't want to risk it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My only gripe with this episode is that once again they look competent with group tactics but Rick still wanders off alone and doesn't even want to bring a gun with him. I get that he's crazy but they should still at least implement the buddy system.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Who is Michonne going off and searching for? The Governor?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

My only gripe with this episode is that once again they look competent with group tactics but Rick still wanders off alone and doesn't even want to bring a gun with him. I get that he's crazy but they should still at least implement the buddy system.

Him not wanting to use a gun is part of his [believable] guilt for all the hard core killing he's done.

That's how I read it at least.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

euphronius posted:

Him not wanting to use a gun is part of his [believable] guilt for all the hard core killing he's done.

Plus, plays into him as a Western sheriff on the frontier between civilization and ruin.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

lifts cats over head posted:

I have no real complaints just a minor issue with why haven't they done more to fortify the outer fences? Even just building an outer perimeter of spikes would help.

Yeah, I thought that was weird. They really seemed to half rear end that fence. Seems like an interesting season ahead, but WD problem has always been that the middle episodes tend to lag really badly.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I thought the episode was pretty OK, but I barely remembered who the hell anyone is, is there a thing that can tell me who all the characters are, and a short brief of what they did previously?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Quite enjoyed it. Crazy Clara was certainly spooky; my first thought was "HOLY poo poo THE ZOMBIES CAN TALK NOW??". One thing my wife pointed out was that Milhouse handled the food some people were eating - my early guess is swine flu (dead pig, dead Milhouse), even thou transmission to humans is supposed to be rare.

The ep was also pretty well shot and the audio mix was quite good as well. When Rick is playing farmer and took out one of his ear buds, the zombie sound/roar? was pleasingly loud.

Also, Andrew Lincoln's real accent vs his Southern one completely short circuits my brain

Overall, I'm kinda looking forward to this season.

Sand Monster posted:

Who is Michonne going off and searching for? The Governor?

That would be my guess.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

euphronius posted:

He turned into a non-violent pacifist gardener in search of redemption during the offseason.

But at least Daryl ascended to his rightful place as leader :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah the buried gun is a buried gun and also shows how Rick is emotionally burying the recent past. Or also how the current crop of food literally grows on top of the violence of the past.

The ear phones show he is trying to tune out the reality of the zombies.

I'm sure Rick will be using guns soon enough!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I still really like Rick and was rooting for him to get through all the crazy poo poo. Dude is the last gunslinger, it has to be him alone at the end. Him or Carl.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There was a lot to like about this episode, and I liked it.

Michonne was definitely after the Governor, but also bringing gifts to her friends which was cute as hell given how awkward and closed they made her last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I think it's the swine flu. Diseased piglet they were raising died and the boar from the scene with Rick and the crazy lady didn't look healthy at all. Some strange variation of swine flu maybe.

I was hoping the virus involved and we would have zombie piglets, but no such luck.

• Locked thread