Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This demo is great, but I don't think it's very similar in tone to the original game. I don't think the original was that funny, it was serious and fairly dark. I feel like the demo taps into the youtube style "BRITISH VOICE = FUNNY HAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA" a bit. I can understand people criticizing that.

After playing the original my reaction was basically "...........:stare:". None of the endings were particularly 'funny' per se, and some were as black as the finest existentialist literature. Unless they turned the game into a terrible youtube meme vehicle, I guarantee it will be different from the demo.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The end of the demo was more along the lines for what the tone of the game is probably going to be, especuially towards the endings. It gets a little bleaker and a little more WTF and then ends on a somewhat clever moment that makes a statement.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, I liked the demo, but the original was better than this. I hope they carry the tone from the original mod.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, the demo bounces back and forth between "funny jokes about videogames" and "wait what holy poo poo what just happened", but as it ends it circles then lands squarely on "existential frustration / despair". The original mod hit all three of those notes plenty, though maybe in different proportions.

I don't know (or want to yet of course) what exactly the full game "remix" will be, but I think it's definitely safe to say that it'll appeal to anyone who's been enjoying Davey Wreden's writing style and ideas. That's really the selling point of any of these things, and the connecting thread.

The counter to that, however, is that if you aren't enjoying any of the bonus marketing stuff (like the Helpful Developement Showcase or the youtube videos or this demo), then maybe your taste only narrowly matches up with the original, and even the slightest change of focus or scope will lose it for you.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 14, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you think about why the demo was funny on a macro scale, it's actually a little depressing - just like the original mod was a send-up of choice and 'non-linearity' in games, this demo is a send-up of the idea of game demos in the first place. The bits of a game ripped out from the full thing and designed to sell you on the experience that most demos are, and the things they do to try to get you to buy the game, are the sorts of things that, on the broad meta-level, The Stanley Parable demo rips to loving shreds (this is super clear if you watch Adam Sessler play through it for instance). And when it does that, it's a little less "ha ha" funny and more "Jesus, this is really biting sarcasm that mostly shits all over games" funny. If that's even funny rather than almost a little sinister in the context of you, sitting at your computer, playing a game that's doing these things.

But yeah, I also agree with Ditocoaf: if most of this stuff is leaving you flat, maybe the full game won't be quite what you want. Or maybe it will. We don't know!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

Yeah, I liked the demo, but the original was better than this. I hope they carry the tone from the original mod.

"Do you think that any of this will be in the main game? What would that even look like?"

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I do hope at least some of the manner from the demo makes it into the game. I was hesitant about this chiefly because I expected it to be bleak existentialist material designed primarily to appeal to smug pseudo-intellectuals. An element of that is fine, but without the humor I would consider THAT to be tedious tryhard rubbish.

If I am expected to take it very seriously, I'm not interested.

The Raphael Trailer and then the Demonstration itself won me over. If everything in the game is strictly bleak I will feel rather cheated.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The gently caress are you talking about?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
That see-sawingly hyperbolic blurb was an expression of potential future discontent with the final product should it be seen by myself as taking itself excessively seriously. Especially after the promotion and demonstration which employed humor in an excellent fashion has led me to believe it would not be so dramatically overwrought in that sense despite initial concerns to the contrary. That, perhaps, is the gently caress which I attempted to talk about.

I apologize for my failure to elucidate my words smartingly gud.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
OK, right, but... the gently caress are you talking about?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leb posted:

OK, right, but... the gently caress are you talking about?

He is trying to say "if the finished product is not funny like the demo then I will not like it, and also this makes me better than you." But the message is getting muddled, because he's an idiot.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is there another version of the version of the demo for this game that is..I don't know..fun? Interesting? Funny? Tells a story? I played a game going from room to to room where a well voiced narrator (who sounds like the narrator from Little Big Planet) took me through 20 or so rooms using a 10 year old engine and made one reference to Half Life 2 pick up that can. That was it. For a brief moment I thought we might be getting a reference to an SCP object, but that was only for a second.

From this thread I get the impression there is a much better demo out there I didn't get to play, because that would be ironic, or something. Ha ha. Jokes on me? AWCY?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Of course he's well-dressed, dummy. He's the Emperor.

You'd have to be a real dummy not to see that.

Dummy.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Comstar posted:

Is there another version of the version of the demo for this game that is..I don't know..fun? Interesting? Funny? Tells a story? I played a game going from room to to room where a well voiced narrator (who sounds like the narrator from Little Big Planet) took me through 20 or so rooms using a 10 year old engine and made one reference to Half Life 2 pick up that can. That was it. For a brief moment I thought we might be getting a reference to an SCP object, but that was only for a second.

From this thread I get the impression there is a much better demo out there I didn't get to play, because that would be ironic, or something. Ha ha. Jokes on me? AWCY?

The Stanley Parable is a game about walking in a bunch of rooms to the narration of an increasingly frustrated narrator. There aren't any bigger or deeper secrets. If you didn't like the demo then The Stanley Parable will likely bore you to tears in much the same way. You should probably not buy it.

I liked it but I'm kind of a bore who has questionable tastes in a lot of things. I'll probably buy it because I liked the demo and the videos that were put out by the developer.

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

Comstar posted:

Ha ha. Jokes on me?

Yes, actually.
The Half-Life 2 reference in particular makes fun of people who expect simple rewarding gameplay and a goal ("You WON!").
It even gives you a mocking achievment for that.

The Demo and probably the full Game make fun of the absurdity of it all (Games, Life, the illusion of choice).
Many people will hate it and many more will like this.
I love it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cirrial posted:

The Stanley Parable is a game about walking in a bunch of rooms to the narration of an increasingly frustrated narrator. There aren't any bigger or deeper secrets. If you didn't like the demo then The Stanley Parable will likely bore you to tears in much the same way. You should probably not buy it.

Fair enough. From the thread comments I thought I had downloaded some other game or the demo was different for different people. Thank you.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Oxxidation posted:

He is trying to say "if the finished product is not funny like the demo then I will not like it, and also this makes me better than you." But the message is getting muddled, because he's an idiot.

I'll happily settle for you getting one point right. Thank you for making it clear enough for acceptance.

Edit: On an unrelated note does anyone happen to know the anticipated price of The Stanley Parable?

The Snark fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 14, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Comstar posted:

It sounds like you're one of those people whose favorite jokes are references to other things. For example, maybe you love Family Guy! What a hilarious show! This game isn't really like that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Fair enough. From the thread comments I thought I had downloaded some other game or the demo was different for different people. Thank you.

The game is different depending on if you actually follow the directions of the narrator or try to gently caress him over, by constantly not doing what he says.

Try it. When he says "hurry, hurry", stand still.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I had a stupid grin on my face through the whole demo, definitely sold me on this.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really enjoyed watching Adam Sessler's reactions to the Rev3 demo. It appears that a few of you may have been not paying attention when the Narrator explicitly stated that nothing in the demo was going to be in the main game. As soon as I heard that, I knew this was going to be the absolute best demo ever, and I was not disappointed. I got some serious Douglas Adams vibes off of the entire experience, and I think I need to go play the original mod again.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

The game is different depending on if you actually follow the directions of the narrator or try to gently caress him over, by constantly not doing what he says.

Try it. When he says "hurry, hurry", stand still.

Does he do anything if you actually do stand still for 20 minutes?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I bet he does but I'm not sure I have the patience to check.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
If you stand still for a bit he eventually goes "Oh! I know!" and invites you on the backstage tour anyway. He might have narration for if you insist on standing still even after that, though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He has unique dialog if you insist on waiting for your turn in the waiting room too. :allears:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Comstar posted:

The MLP avatar and desperate hoping for references to a lovely meme creepypasta site makes this post extremely depressing.

I had no idea the demo was unique gameplay so thanks for this topic. I can't wait for the game's actual release.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
He gets frustrated and changes the game to 'don't put the cup in the bin' as well if you just dick around and don't do anything (I figured this out cause I accidentally caused the cup to go through the floor and was stuck for a bit).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

We should point out to people who didn't play the original mod that it's not just the narrator's dialog that changes if you disobey; the game gets weird in a really cool way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If you feel like you're caught in an "Emporor's Clothes" situation with this game, you're probably just looking for something different than what this game is trying for.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

If you feel like you're caught in an "Emporor's Clothes" situation with this game, you're probably just looking for something different than what this game is trying for.

I dunno, being presented with a room full of buttons that are stated outright to be a simulation of choice when each button has the same result is getting pretty emperor's clothes-ey.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Buried alive posted:

I dunno, being presented with a room full of buttons that are stated outright to be a simulation of choice when each button has the same result is getting pretty emperor's clothes-ey.

That's more like the emperor running around going "EVERYBODY LOOK AT HOW loving NAKED I AM RIGHT NOW". Obviously none of those buttons are a simulation of choice and the game is lying to you on purpose. That's literally what every game does. That's the whole point.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Buried alive posted:

Uh... that's the joke. It's a gag.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Buried alive posted:

You don't understand satire at all, do you?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Comstar posted:

I'm very sorry that you don't get humor that isn't referential, goon with a MLP avatar.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Comstar posted:

You played a completely different demo than I did.

I'm playing the "Preparing to launch The Stanley Parable Demo..." steam dialog box. It's going pretty good so far.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This seems like a cool game that I would enjoy, in spite of my apparently contradictory tastes in media

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Comstar posted:

AWCY? What is that short for?

Jolo fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 15, 2013

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Utter poo poo.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Buried alive posted:

It's a metaphor for real life. Even though it seems like you have a choice when you press the "reply" button, you will still always get people making fun of your opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah. The other guy who said the original got weird in cool ways was right. I know that the creator recommends against playing the original since this is a "remix" or what have you, but I guess that since those disappointed in the demo probably won't buy the full thing anyway, I urge them to at least give the old mod a try.
Or maybe since they didn't like the demo they won't care at all, so carry on I guess.

• Locked thread