Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

So....is a room full of 9 chrysalids in the UFO base normal on classic? My poor squad of captains didn't stand a chance.
I have had that exact thing happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Vengarr posted:

I'm surprised no one has posted this IGN playthrough of the Exalt demo, with Ananda Gupta.

It was nice to see someone who wasn't pants on head braindead play through the demo mission. Some unsafe moves, but he looked like someone who actually played the game. Although, can't really be critical since I knew what to expect having seem the other previews and he hadn't.

The medic prioritization on healing is actually probably useful, since even winging them with 1-2 damage or a grenade will cause them to heal instead of attacking on their turn.

Being able to hack to comm arrays deals pretty well with the numerical advantage. Hack the arrays, and focus down the grenade wielders and rocket heavies (or move out of rocket range of the heavies).

Enemy prioritization based on loadout and situation seems like it will be a lot of fun.
If the alien packs were changed to give more mixed groups, that would also be a neat change, although it doesn't seem like it based on current information.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Gupta says she was a prisoner who escaped, so yeah, probably. Unless she was a prisoner of EXALT who were running their own experiments...?

Thanks for the answer. I'll refrain from speculating further before this forum looks like advertisement for The Bureau.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Benagain posted:

So can someone tell me what the hell the uberetheral was expecting to happen in the end mission? "HEY new warrior race just came onto the temple ship! And they're killing all our earlier failures! Oh wait they're killing us HOW COULD I HAVE SEEN THIS COMING."
The Ethereals expected it to go like Childhood's End, sort of. Instead of just waiting, they were trying to push humanity's apotheosis by testing them. Unfortunately for the Ethereals, humanity, in addition to being latently psychic, also latently possessed squadsight snipers.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New GMG 25% off code up:
GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC
Works for EW for a total of 35% off.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

The Ethereals expected it to go like Childhood's End, sort of. Instead of just waiting, they were trying to push humanity's apotheosis by testing them. Unfortunately for the Ethereals, humanity, in addition to being latently psychic, also latently possessed squadsight snipers.

Hm. It'd be kind of cool if squadsight was a psychic power and snipers just got a slightly increased sight range to reflect, I dunno, scopes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have they said anything about releasing Demo version of EW to people who aren't sucking off publishers?

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

New GMG 25% off code up:
GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC

thanks.

Jack Trades posted:

Have they said anything about releasing Demo version of EW to people who aren't sucking off publishers?

Have you ever heard about a DLC getting a demo?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I don't know if Squadsights going to be as all powerful as it was before, though, what with them taking out critical hits on Squadsight. You might actually have a reason to take Snapshot now.

At least it's more of a choice than that for Gunslinger or drat Good Ground, which gets even more weight in it's favor with the undercover work now.

I don't know if I need to spoiler tag gameplay elements or not...

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Darkrenown posted:

New GMG 25% off code up:
GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC

Thanks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Benagain posted:

Hm. It'd be kind of cool if squadsight was a psychic power and snipers just got a slightly increased sight range to reflect, I dunno, scopes.
It'd be cool if a lot more things were psychic, like 3-5 more levels' worth so that a) by the time you get psychics, they mean something and b) they were more of an investment and payoff than "can mind-control and you need to have one to win the game."

I'd like to see more synergy with class existing roles too, but then psychic troops getting better at being an assault than a normal assault would kind of suck (for example). I don't know, the psychic stuff lacks the ingame punch it has on the storyline. Weakening all of your current troops' stat growths but giving the ability to get some back in the psychic tree would be an option, I guess.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Guys, you're missing the big picture. You might be able to capture EXALT agents.

Capture them. With Arc Throwers.

This game will allow to you blast traitors with 1.21 jiggawatts to the testes :science:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I believe it's been said that they commit suicide if you tase them.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Mortabis posted:

I believe it's been said that they commit suicide if you tase them.

Yes, there's even an achievement for this.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Yeah, i agree. The increased number of enemies means the missions take much longer. But on top of that, there are so many more missions to do. Which makes the game last and take even longer.

It would probably take me about 60+ hours i am guessing to beat this LW campaign, and i don't even have the faintest idea about how insane it gets later on.

This is also ignoring the chance that my game might just end up in an unwinnable situation 45 hours into it like people have ran into on the forums.

If it's any comfort, you're not that far off. I'm slightly over 100 hours into my long war campaign and I still have at least 2 more months worth of missions before I can finish the game, more if I want to get all research (I don't, because I don't care about EMP or Fusion Lances since I don't bother with taking down battleships). :suicide:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Benagain posted:

I actually really like the idea of making psionic powers a set of class-specific upgrades. Past mindfray they're all actually pretty rubbish powers. Inspiration is too small an AOE, Telekenetic Field is too large, Panic just gets you shot at (although with EW adding an aim penalty that might change), Mind Control is situational and at the endgame you can probably just ghost up and kill whatever you wanted to MC anyway.

Keep Mindfray as the initial power and make the next two tiers choices between interesting class-relevant upgrades. Snipers could get a choice between critting on squadsnipe or upgrading to a psionic version of the battlescanner that doesn't have charges and goes through walls.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

libersyber posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen got a demo, and it was comparable to EW in that it was the base game and the expansion bundled together. It was Japanese PS3 only, so I don't actually know what it entailed, but there you go.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:tizzy:

Ten floaters playing Takeoff flank shot bullshit from the alleyway on the construction yard = two dead mission-1 veterans

gently caress this game, I quit. Hey, I'd be pretty loving good at ganking the other guy's dudes too if I could teleport into a guaranteed flank shot in the next turn. Or just leapfrog over a five-storey wall so I didn't even have to wait a turn before shooting.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Mind control is pretty good for getting loot and having Ethereals get beat down by their own bodyguards in my experience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

libersyber posted:

Civilization V: Gods & Kings and Brave New World DLCs both have Demo versions on Steam and they're listed as DLC just like Enemy Within.

Both are from Firaxis.

WarpedNaba posted:

Guys, you're missing the big picture. You might be able to capture EXALT agents.

Capture them. With Arc Throwers.

This game will allow to you blast traitors with 1.21 jiggawatts to the testes :science:

They said that EXALT "makes sure their agents don't get captured, in a particularly gruesome way".

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Jack Trades posted:

They said that EXALT "makes sure their agents don't get captured, in a particularly gruesome way".

Tooth bomb, I bet it's gonna be a tooth bomb.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Mr Dog posted:

gently caress this game, I quit. Hey, I'd be pretty loving good at ganking the other guy's dudes too if I could teleport into a guaranteed flank shot in the next turn. Or just leapfrog over a five-storey wall so I didn't even have to wait a turn before shooting.

Err, what?
If 10 floaters are active at once, then something went wrong a while ago, like moving in to the fog too rapidly.
The launch move uses up their action and they can't fire after using it. This means that you can, you know, move to no longer be flanked.

The construction site map is small enough that most patrols could stumble through the center, so in general its not a good idea to hang out in the center of the map. Looping around in the back alley is usually good, although there's decent cover in the immediate vicinity of the gate. The gate area can be okay if you have heavies / snipers that can control the middle.

Incidentally, whats your opinion on thin men, then?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Timespy posted:

Tooth bomb, I bet it's gonna be a tooth bomb.

I really hoped that it would be a Battle Royale kind of collar that would explode and decapitates the wearer if he's captured (or goes rogue or hold a fork in the wrong hand while eating lunch at EXALT HQ or something).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

animatorZed posted:

Righteous arbiters of justice, I assume/

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

animatorZed posted:

Err, what?
If 10 floaters are active at once, then something went wrong a while ago, like moving in to the fog too rapidly.
The launch move uses up their action and they can't fire after using it. This means that you can, you know, move to no longer be flanked.

The construction site map is small enough that most patrols could stumble through the center, so in general its not a good idea to hang out in the center of the map. Looping around in the back alley is usually good, although there's decent cover in the immediate vicinity of the gate. The gate area can be okay if you have heavies / snipers that can control the middle.

Peachy, two Thin Men hopped onto the roof on that night-time convenience store intersection map a couple of missions ago and deep sixed two of my other veterans.

I didn't say they activated all at once, and trying to go around the back is what got two more members of my squad killed in the first place. There was a pod in the bottom left hand corner of the Construction Yard map, juxtaposed with a corner of the building. I lined up two assaults to start going around, send one, trigger the pod giving me one activated Floater in the alley and the other two well out of sight and very much active inside the building. So I kill the one in the alley, then on the alien turn one of the remaining two flies over the wall into the alley and oneshots one of the assaults.

By the time I get the other assault and a rookie (he was all I had left for slot 6 at this point) around to the back, the three guys pinned at the LZ have managed to get hit by patrols from the other three pods. In fact, the last pod materialised out of nowhere in the back alley right as you would normally come up to the window and get ready to rip the enemy's flank open; I had the remaining Assault R&G around the fourth corner and kill one of the three new floaters, ran the rookie to hard cover. Set up overwatch back at LZ, nothing happened. Moved my guys around a bit and peeked back into the back alley, nothing. Heard a noise indication, though. Next turn, the remaining two floaters come barelling out of the LZ side of the alley way (three turns' dash away from the end window, mind), one gets killed by overwatch fire, the other one-shots my sniper from mission one.

I actually played the mission precisely how you suggested and I lost two people to incredibly cheap or glitched out bullshit, and it drives me up the wall. I'm not even playing on Ironman this game, but I just don't feel like dealing with that crap. This isn't some hard-variant alien base mission where I bungled the push over the dune or just got unlucky and ended up dragging three heavily injured survivors through the sectoid commander's lair or something, I'd own a bloodbath like that, this is just cheap poo poo that I can't possibly have a counter for without being clairvoyant.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The correct response to the construction site map is to immediately evac. Most maps have pretty bad starting locations for XCOM but that map is a deathtrap. All your cover is in a single line that can be flanked by the inevitable pod to the right, everybody is clustered tightly for the alien grenades, your firing lines don't really overlap and your only other option involves going all the way around the building with no cover to reach a different spot with slightly better angles.

Oh, and as you mentioned said building is an impassable wall for you but might as well be open space for floaters & cyberdisks.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I'm super-psyched that even though you can't capture EXALT agents, you can steal their guns. I'm not sure if their weapons are any better or if it's just a cosmetic switch, but either way :getin:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jack Trades posted:

I really hoped that it would be a Battle Royale kind of collar that would explode and decapitates the wearer if he's captured (or goes rogue or hold a fork in the wrong hand while eating lunch at EXALT HQ or something).

Supposedly it's a cyanide injection system, but I don't where that info originates from.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Supposedly it's a cyanide injection system, but I don't where that info originates from.

Looks like they inject the suicide juice into their necks, if the achievement picture is any indication.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Blarghalt posted:

I'm super-psyched that even though you can't capture EXALT agents, you can steal their guns. I'm not sure if their weapons are any better or if it's just a cosmetic switch, but either way :getin:

Really? That's actually pretty awesome. I hope they have alternate models for laser and plasma weapons as well.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Wonder if you get to keep their guns if they do that.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

fennesz posted:

Really? That's actually pretty awesome. I hope they have alternate models for laser and plasma weapons as well.
Their laser guns show up in the trailer, and I'm going to assume that their plasma weapons will look different too since their ballistic and laser weapons do.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Has anyone mentioned if Zhang (and now Annette) will be customizable in the expansion?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Blarghalt posted:

Looks like they inject the suicide juice into their necks, if the achievement picture is any indication.
I'm a bit disappointed it isn't an internal bomb.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Hmmm, it may be a minor detail, but am I the only one to notice that EXALT agents pretty much all look the same, besides with hair color? I'd have loved them to have some differences, that could fit the country that they are in instead of them being all white, as well as female agents.

Maybe a lot of it is part of the costume, perhaps.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 15, 2013

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jose Mengelez posted:

Has anyone mentioned if Zhang (and now Annette) will be customizable in the expansion?

Even if they aren't, changing that would be a simple mod that doesn't interfere with any other part of the game so I don't see the issue.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
One thing that bothered me in the gameplay footage is that your guys still go cueball bald after getting killed. I suppose it's the least of their problems at that point though.

Bury me in a guile hair wig.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Darkrenown posted:

New GMG 25% off code up:
GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC
Is X-COM a Steamworks game? Will this just add the game to my account?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jose Mengelez posted:

One thing that bothered me in the gameplay footage is that your guys still go cueball bald after getting killed. I suppose it's the least of their problems at that point though.

Bury me in a guile hair wig.

Plasma burns all your hair off clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Is X-COM a Steamworks game? Will this just add the game to my account?

Yeah, I preordered Brave New World for Civ V on GMG and I got a Steam code key.

• Locked thread