Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolling Scissors posted:

So what was the most hilarious bug? Land boats gets my vote.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Did you ever have the boat spawning on land over and over, exploding all the time? That was funny as hell. It was next to D and I spawned under it, and wondered why the hell my screen was constantly shaking and I was taking little bits of damage all the time. There was a boat dropping over me and exploding like every two seconds. My friend went to dance underneath it and got killed. Was impossible to defend D as my screen was shaking non-stop.

It was like this, but over land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ONxUrbOj4
Well nothing is going to top that infinite boat :stare:

That said the weirdest thing I experienced was going up in the elevator at D and then suddenly getting teleported INTO THE BOAT which also happened to be OUT OF BOUNDS where I died. It's too bad no one else saw it because it was just that weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yoshimo posted:

To be fair trees have had millions of years to become very good at not coming out of the ground easily.

It was already out of the ground, and a small branch snagged my car and refused to let go.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Rolling Scissors posted:

So what was the most hilarious bug? Land boats gets my vote.

I liked working out that if we made the background of our emblems bigger than the square you had to make them in it would make your arms that colour too. We had a squad of guys running around with bright coloured shirts on looking like the wiggles.

Enjoyed beta alot, at first it seemed a bit flat but after working out that the map was actually pretty cool and playing some obliteration I can't wait. As someone who plays engineer a helluva lot I loved the faster rockets on the RPG, got so many copter kills.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well nothing is going to top that infinite boat :stare:

That said the weirdest thing I experienced was going up in the elevator at D and then suddenly getting teleported INTO THE BOAT which also happened to be OUT OF BOUNDS where I died. It's too bad no one else saw it because it was just that weird.

Huh, I never had any of the fuckyness around elevators everyone else seemed to have.

I do have to put together a video of the round where the game decided the deployment screen was something I had to go to the options menu to access, so I would die, it would show the killcam and then I would be looking through the eyes of my now dead soldier until I hit escape a couple times to get to deployment.

despise you
Jan 20, 2007

Ularg posted:

No secret second beta map. loving :dice:

What a heartbreaker. I know we kinda stole a second map during the last beta.. but they didn't have to hold out this time.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
There was something funky about rebinding the accept revive key, so for the first half of the beta, when I'd get revived, it wouldn't work and I would just be following the kill cam of the player who killed me until I hit Esc twice. Free wallhacks.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So given all the ridiculous combos you can have hanging off your gun, who's gonna be running with what? I think I might just run the ridiculous bullpup wave gun with BUIS for my BUIS and a predator sight. For extra tactical.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Re: Gunchat from two pages ago, if DICE doesn't add some form of the Tavor to the game via DLC or whatever then I'm going to still play. The MTAR-21 was my favorite gun in BF3 and I got something like 2,000 kills with it. Give a man a CTAR or X95 plzzzzz

EDIT: Is there a comprehensive list of the guns that will be in the final game anywhere that isn't just one of those nine-minute-long videos?

DrPop fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 15, 2013

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrPop posted:

Re: Gunchat from two pages ago, if DICE doesn't add some form of the Tavor to the game via DLC or whatever then I'm going to still play. The MTAR-21 was my favorite gun in BF3 and I got something like 2,000 kills with it. Give a man a CTAR or X95 plzzzzz

EDIT: Is there a comprehensive list of the guns that will be in the final game anywhere that isn't just one of those nine-minute-long videos?

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Battlefield_4

Always count on the spergs over at IMFDB to mine literally every piece of gun-related info out of anything and everything, god bless 'em.

E: They have the AUG-A3 and the Super shorty. gently caress yo' MTAR.

Not too hot on all the Galil's and CZs, though. And seriously what the hell is the SAR-21 doing in this game :psyduck:

Edit 2: Ended up reading about the SAR-21 and it's a pretty hilarious system.

SAR-21 safety concerns posted:

The Kevlar plating on the left side of the weapon butt (where a right-handed user's face would typically be) is effective in protecting the user from any internal chamber explosion by directing the resulting force to the right. However, that resultant force would also seriously injure anyone unfortunate enough to be on the right side of the weapon. In the case of a user firing from his left shoulder, this could cause severe injury to his face.

It's like the tediore of real guns! Just make sure to be the leftmost guy in any formation.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 15, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Naturally Selected posted:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Battlefield_4

Always count on the spergs over at IMFDB to mine literally every piece of gun-related info out of anything and everything, god bless 'em.

E: They have the AUG-A3 and the Super shorty. gently caress yo' MTAR.

Not too hot on all the Galil's and CZs, though. And seriously what the hell is the SAR-21 doing in this game :psyduck:

Edit 2: Ended up reading about the SAR-21 and it's a pretty hilarious system.

It's like the tediore of real guns! Just make sure to be the leftmost guy in any formation.

Thanks. gently caress the SAR, gimme a TAR

I'm kind of excited the ACEs are in, it's the first time I've seen the modernized Galils in anything other than promotional IWI videos.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrPop posted:

Thanks. gently caress the SAR, gimme a TAR

I'm kind of excited the ACEs are in, it's the first time I've seen the modernized Galils in anything other than promotional IWI videos.

Honestly not too hot on the AK-alike proliferation. AK-12 platform everything, Galil everything, meh. Isn't the ACE basically the same old "totally not an AK you guys" just with raillz? You're basically getting something like 10 AKs filling out the weapon selection.

I did just consider that you can literally have a 3-shotgun setup: 870/Hawk with slugs or flechette+full choke primary for longer range, MASS buckshot/flechette or an XM25 with flechette ammo for the secondary and a Super Shorty sidearm for up close and personal. I WILL BECOME A SHOTGUN GOD :unsmigghh:

E: Kinda pissed the KS-23 isn't in the game, though. 23mm/6ga death-blaster. Don't even care if to balance it the recoil will actually make me flip 180* after every shot, 23mm slugs.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 15, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PittTheElder posted:

Premium really isn't pay to win. It does give you access to all the DLC, which is awesome. In BF3 Premium did give you a bunch more assignments with their own unlocks, but those unlocks were dogtags, gun camos (which make no real difference at all), and one soldier camo that looked very similar to a bunch of other camos, and weren't anything special.

The DLCs were slightly different. Those did give assignments that let you unlock guns, that could only be obtained through those DLC assignments. In my opinion, about 61 out of 20 of those were 'good' weapons. 1 was nerfed into the ground in a subsequent patch. But while they were good, the vanilla guns were still extremely competitive. The 'Best' gun throughout was the M16A3, which was the starting gun for the US team, and could be easily unlocked for use by the Russians as well, all within the normal course of the game. And again, that's not Premium specific, it's DLC specific, which is slightly different.

1The L85A2, AUG-A3, SPAS, MP5K, MTAR, and the FAMAS, which was the one nerfed to death.

This is good to know! Thanks! I appreciate everyone else for giving me some solid info as well. Just put in a vanilla pre-order :)

As an aside, during the beta I managed to notch a pretty good K/D playing Assault mostly, with a bit of Recon towards the latter of the beta. I found myself loving the SCAR on semi-auto with the muzzle brake and underslung MASS while playing Assault, and the ACW-R on Recon. I never knew how much fun lazing targets for others to kill could be until this game. What a joy.

quote:

Overall, the single most important thing involved in battlefield is understanding the maps, and your ability to aim; these are things no DLC will buy you.

I come from a Counter-Strike background, so it's comforting to know skill in those two areas is rewarded.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 15, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Holy poo poo what. :stare: That is amazing. I didn't get to use the fiddy much, just hope that the .338 and the Chey-tac can pull off some of the same poo poo with vehicles.
I was under the impression that only Battle Pickups like the M82A3/AMR-2 (both anti-materiel sniper rifles, the latter being only hinted at from a dogtag in the same section as the other Battle Pickups), HVM-II, M32 MGL, and USAS-12 was that powerful.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 15, 2013

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

D. Ebdrup posted:

I was under the impression that only Battle Pickups like the M82A3/AMR-2 (both anti-materiel sniper rifles, the latter being only hinted at from a dogtag in the same section as the other Battle Pickups), HVM-II, M32 MGL, and USAS-12 was that powerful.

I know, but at the same time, at least in BF3, most sniper rifles could pierce windshields/windows. Given that there's a drat .416 CheyTac, I'd hope you can at least snipe out drivers/passengers in MRAPs and helos. My favorite kills from BF3 are still the "took out a fully loaded LB's pilot" ones. It's such a dick move I love it.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013
I'm kind of amazed/saddened that the F2000 doesn't seem to be in BF4. I think it has been in almost every modern battlefield since BF2.
Its usually my favorite gun in the BF games so it sucks that it might not be in. Hopefully they bring it back in one of the DLCs.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Do I remember reading somewhere that this time around medics will only be able to revive a player once or are we going to go back to that class being pretty OP on infantry maps?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Do I remember reading somewhere that this time around medics will only be able to revive a player once or are we going to go back to that class being pretty OP on infantry maps?

You are limited in the number of revives you have (I believe 3 per life) and you have to charge the paddles to get a decent amount of health in to the person you are reviving. No more hoppy-time medic jumping around and bringing people up to full health, no more revive trains making Human Centipede look conservative and classy.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

The biggest change is paddle charging, so you can't just chain-revive/sprint-revive. I've taken down quite a few medics already because of the charge-time. For what it's worth, in the beta revive trains were nonexistent, and much less of a problem than squad spawning in the middle of a firefight. Medic trains in BF3 were so prevalent and powerful that squad spawning wasn't something you really noticed or worried about, but in BF4 it may be the main reason I play hardcore or at least modded servers.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

You are limited in the number of revives you have (I believe 3 per life) and you have to charge the paddles to get a decent amount of health in to the person you are reviving. No more hoppy-time medic jumping around and bringing people up to full health, no more revive trains making Human Centipede look conservative and classy.

Good.

They should not let you spawn on a squad-mate if that person is not at ground level. Driving people from rooftops is hard enough that often is not attempted. You should be able to plant beacons people can parachute onto instead. I am not a fan of the squad-mate spawning mechanic.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It seemed to me that the Assault class was pretty underrepresented on CQ maps. The M320 is a poo poo alternative to the XM25. The only thing the class had going for it was the AK-12, and even then the AK5C was a good enough facsimile that was an all-kit weapon. I got all the assault unlocks and then promptly went back to the other 3 classes.

How many times did people first spawn in the map as the default assault class and immediately curse?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

It seemed to me that the Assault class was pretty underrepresented on CQ maps. The M320 is a poo poo alternative to the XM25. The only thing the class had going for it was the AK-12, and even then the AK5C was a good enough facsimile that was an all-kit weapon. I got all the assault unlocks and then promptly went back to the other 3 classes.

How many times did people first spawn in the map as the default assault class and immediately curse?

Nearly every game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Anti-Hero posted:

Battlelog was supposed to allow you to set a default spawn class, but that feature never worked for me.

I only played as assault those times when I had just hosed down 9 enemies and was running low on ammunition and picked up an assault kit from a corpse.

Also, on my very last match playing BF4 beta, I bee-lined in a chopper to the top of a skyscraper and picked up the AMR! Then I ran to the edge of the building and pulled out my rangefinder, which threw the .50 cal off the edge of the building and 800 feet to the ground before I had even fired a shot :downsgun:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anti-Hero posted:

Every. drat. Time. The assault class really didn't have much going for it given that Shanghai and the available attachments pretty much pegged everyone into the CQB role, and the AK5C being the monster that it is at those ranges.

We'll see how things shake out with longer engagements and more options. I'm still eager to run around with a proper-rear end AR/masterkey, but am really not sure how long that will last. I played the SpecOps class almost exclusively in BF2, so I'm guessing that I will just end up doing the carbine recon thing 24/7 here.

You do have to consider that Shanghai is a pretty unique map-the sheer amount of rooftops available to both sides meant that the XM25 would get much more use than pretty much any other gadget. Looking at the other maps like Zavod, for example, there's much less verticality/vertical cover on them, so the M320 would get more use knocking poo poo down and one-shotting people.

Edit: Also, at least for me, the biggest drawback of assault with the available attachments (laser, RDS without a magnifier, movement penalty-reducing grip) was simply running out of ammo. The AK12 would gobble up it's whole supply in 2-3 engagements. They might get better, at least for me, when you can set them up for their proper mid-range niche. I'm sure some of the carbs will do great at the further end of engagement ranges, but I think that is where the AR's will shine.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 15, 2013

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

canyoneer posted:

Also, on my very last match playing BF4 beta, I bee-lined in a chopper to the top of a skyscraper and picked up the AMR! Then I ran to the edge of the building and pulled out my rangefinder, which threw the .50 cal off the edge of the building and 800 feet to the ground before I had even fired a shot :downsgun:

Ha ha! I hope they make it so you can switch to gadgets, side-arm, just not primary without dropping it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

canyoneer posted:

That's especially hilarious considering the rifle has a built-in range finder mounted to the side of the barrel...

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

mcbexx posted:

That's especially hilarious considering the rifle has a built-in range finder mounted to the side of the barrel...

Yeah. The range is also even shown when looking through the scope.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mcbexx posted:

dog nougat posted:

Yeah. The range is also even shown when looking through the scope.

I know this.
I wasn't interested in the range, I just wanted to target a tank for my engineer pals with the PLD :smith:
The true wookie way would be to stay on top of the building and never shoot hit anyone.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

canyoneer posted:

I did the same thing with the Starstreak rocket launcher. I snuck up to the top of C while the other team owned it, grabbed the launcher and jumped off with a bunch of angry people shooting at me. Feeling like a bad rear end as I parachuting down, I switched to my pistol and droped it mid air... :downsgun: I tried to look for it when I landed but had no luck finding it.

I constantly forget I cant switch my weapons with the pickups and always drop them by accident. I'm probably gonna lose a lot more gun pickups in the future.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
One of the last games I played was an Obliteration game. I got onto the C tower, grabbed the M82, and jumped onto the bulding's outside ledge. Zeroed on the D point just in time to see the enemy flag carrier run out. One-shotted him, of course, then noticed the attack chopper heading for C. No time to zero so I just lay into the attack chopper with the 82 and get a double kill when it blows the gently caress up.

brvvvv brvvvrt bvvvvvrrrt bvvvvvvvvrrrt bvrt

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

I will fight you; CZECH POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Also the SAR-21 is there for CIS scum obviously :coal:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Insert name here posted:

I will fight you; CZECH POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Also the SAR-21 is there for CIS scum obviously :coal:

All CZs aside from the man-lickers. :colbert:

Why they decided to include the tacti-toy version of that thing is beyond me as well. Instead of including the 9A-91 or the VAL/VSS or the SR-3M, they add poo poo like that. I think this is actually the first "modern combat" Battlefield to not include the Bizon or some version of the 9x39mm platform.

E: Also just noticed the only Russian pistol in that list is the Rex. Guess the Russians in BF4 have all switched to Czech-made weapons.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The Skorpion is the new P90 of SMGs. Accept it or be riddled with tiny bullets

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Why they decided to include the tacti-toy version of that thing is beyond me as well. Instead of including the 9A-91 or the VAL/VSS or the SR-3M, they add poo poo like that. I think this is actually the first "modern combat" Battlefield to not include the Bizon or some version of the 9x39mm platform.

Gotta have something to hold back for Premium.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Funkz posted:

The .50 cal is loving awesome

Look at it. :stare:

So how does shooting people out of vehicles work? Which vehicles can you shoot people out of? Can you hit the pilots in helicopters?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Trisk posted:

So how does shooting people out of vehicles work? Which vehicles can you shoot people out of? Can you hit the pilots in helicopters?

Yep, you can kill gunners/pilots of choppers with small arms I believe. You can definitely do it with sniper rifles.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lugaloco posted:

Yep, you can kill gunners/pilots of choppers with small arms I believe. You can definitely do it with sniper rifles.

An attack chopper tried to strafe my tank once, I fired an AP round at him, got a kill message, and the undamaged helicopter floated to the ground in front of me.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

On the other hand, I used to shoot plenty pilots/gunners out of their cockpits in BF3, yet I can't recall seeing a single hitmarker during the beta, even when aiming carefully with the 88 at fairly close range.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

BoonyPC posted:

I liked working out that if we made the background of our emblems bigger than the square you had to make them in it would make your arms that colour too. We had a squad of guys running around with bright coloured shirts on looking like the wiggles.

So that's what caused that effect! I kept seeing people with funny coloured sleeves and assumed it was some sort of unlockable camo option.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

mcbexx posted:

On the other hand, I used to shoot plenty pilots/gunners out of their cockpits in BF3, yet I can't recall seeing a single hitmarker during the beta, even when aiming carefully with the 88 at fairly close range.

The other day I was playing with a friend, I was spotting/marking targets with the PLD while he would shoot them down.

Long story short, some transport helicopter landed with 3 or 4 guys who unsuccessfully attempted to kill us, but for whatever reason, the pilot simply refused to leave the helicopter or take off. I shot him in the head with my CS-LR4 twice, blood was clearly coming out, but he did not die. So I marked the helicopter and my friend blew it up.

No idea what was going on there.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I did kill a tank with the 50 cal in my last game. Granted it was pretty much dead from a battle with another tank, and the driver hopped out, but I did get the vehicle destroyed 100 point message from shooting it once with the .50.

• Locked thread