Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

shitty poker hand fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is this the first mention of Cecils last name?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yep.

I find it interesting in light of this episode remembering what Cecil's mother told him a few episodes ago about his own death that it would involve a mirror.

I also thought Cecil (the actor) did a great job doing young-Cecil's voice.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
With the new episode, I suppose that the planet of awesome size, lit by no sun, is not a phenomenon exclusive only to "A story about you." Neither are those crates in the desert we'll never hear about again. Perhaps, "you" are not special enough to warrant a broadcast solely about yourself; the fact that there was one is simply another mysterious occurrence at Night Vale Community Radio.

A fantastic, evocative episode all around. I winced at that *click* that ended the final playback.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Maxnmona mentioned on twitter that he thought this episode was really creepy and that's a description that sounds about right. Definitely a good listen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Len posted:

Is this the first mention of Cecils last name?

Yes. But I think Cecil was at his most unreliable as a narrator today.

loving awesome episode, got lots of theories about it. Still like the name Baldwin better, but oh well

Theory 1: Cecil was killed when he was 15 and reborn, fulfilling his mother's prophecy
Theory 2: The current Cecil is actually the dark spirit that was behind him
Theory 2: Kevin is his brother (because of the eyes)

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 15, 2013

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Today's proverb was really cute and I liked it. :)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

dj_clawson posted:

loving awesome episode, got lots of theories about it. Still like the name Baldwin better, but oh well

Theory 1: Cecil was killed when he was 15 and reborn, fulfilling his mother's prophecy

I think 2 and 3 are spot-on.

Also was young Cecil voiced by Cecil? Because I thought it sounded like maxnmona.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Annakie posted:

Yep.

I find it interesting in light of this episode remembering what Cecil's mother told him a few episodes ago about his own death that it would involve a mirror.

Which episode specially? Don't remember any thing like that at all.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Goddamn, amazing episode.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Which episode specially? Don't remember any thing like that at all.

That was in 'Faceless Old Woman'.

"Or better yet, destroy all of your mirrors. As my mother used to tell me, “Someone’s going to kill you one day, Cecil, and it will involve a mirror. Mark my words, child!” And then she would stare absently through my eyes until I giggled."

I love when stuff from older episodes comes up again, and I love episodes when Cecil starts to freak out because that's when you know things are REALLY hosed up.

I had suspected that Cecil had a habit of avoiding mirrors, so it was interesting to hear that he keeps them covered up... Does that mean Cecil doesn't have a good idea of what he looks like? There's the photo on the desk but there's no guarantee it's accurate. :stare:

Also it sounded like that Leonard guy wasn't exactly human. And what was the deal with the curtain in Cecil's own home hiding another Station Management-like entity? Oh my god this episode :gonk:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

AstroZamboni posted:

I think 2 and 3 are spot-on.

Also was young Cecil voiced by Cecil? Because I thought it sounded like maxnmona.

That was Cecil doing a teen voice and then sped up 5% to get rid of the bass.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how Cecil's reaction to finding tapes he doesn't remember making is "Finally something weird to talk about!"

I am a little worried about how he just blew off intern Jesus's disappearance/death. I hope he's not taking those interns for granted.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am a little worried about how he just blew off intern Jesus's disappearance/death. I hope he's not taking those interns for granted.

Well, he was a bit distracted, I mean this weird tape was on his mind... also the guy was just an intern.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

I actually thought Cecil's last name was Baldwin, even in the show, which is why he got so unnerved when young Cecil said his last name. I guess that would make Theory 2 a little too obvious though.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
The character's name is not, and never has been, Baldwin. That's the actor's name.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I missed it. What is his last name? Also great episode!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I gotta say what really drove home how creepy this episode was was Cecil (the actor) really conveying that the character was freaked the gently caress out over this. After all the other stuff that didn't really faze Cecil (the character) you could really hear the "what the gently caress is this" disturbed tone of voice and it really sold it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

The character's name is not, and never has been, Baldwin. That's the actor's name.

Have the Tumblr hordes started sending you hate mail for giving him a last name yet?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

SalTheBard posted:

I missed it. What is his last name? Also great episode!

Cecil Gershwin(sp?) Palmer

I also thought Cecil (the actor) did a great job in voicing younger Cecil in that at the beginning he really sounded different, then he mentioned he needed to practice his radio voice, and I thought each time we heard young Cecil he sounded more and more like the Cecil we now know in his cadence and annunciation, it was a slight transition but noticeable. I really wonder if he would have sounded like modern-Cecil if we'd have heard him immediately after his... possession or whatever you want to call it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fantastic episode. Also the contest winner shirts are now listed on Topatoco, I've already ordered my intern shirt.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Cecil just linked this on Facebook. It's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=061MpC5q1NM

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Oz posted:

Cecil just linked this on Facebook. It's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=061MpC5q1NM

The only reason I am not one of those women is because I don't hang out with other women.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ooh, I'm digging the NVCR intern shirt. I think I'll have to get one.
Edit: Ordered!

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 15, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was listening on my way to work this morning, and I got so caught up in it that I missed my exit.

Edit: this has been...TRAFFIC.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 16, 2013

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Night Vale is awesome and you are awesome for making it. Thank you for doing that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When Cecil opened the show with "Perhaps you noticed something strange yesterday..." I thought he was going to finish with "...and perhaps...it noticed you, too."

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

You know, it's probably a good idea to separate the two more explicitly, since apparently some people have problems with that. I think it must be very weird for actors who play fictional characters with their same names, like Jerry Seinfeld, and even weirder for an actor to play a character with their name that they didn't create.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You know, it's probably a good idea to separate the two more explicitly, since apparently some people have problems with that. I think it must be very weird for actors who play fictional characters with their same names, like Jerry Seinfeld, and even weirder for an actor to play a character with their name that they didn't create.

This is why the actor who plays Dennis on It's Always Sunny specifically didn't want his characters name to be his real name like the rest of the cast.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You know, it's probably a good idea to separate the two more explicitly.

From now on Cecil Baldwin, the actor, will be known as Jerry Seinfeld.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
A dark planet lit by no sun... Now where have I heard that before? :aaa:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

A dark planet lit by no sun... Now where have I heard that before? :aaa:

I actually don't know where you've heard that before. If it's Lovecraft I'll be really embarrassed for not knowing it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Let me tell you A Story About You.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Let me tell you A Story About You.

Oh, okay, an internal reference.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Maxnmona, I have an issue with an order I made. Should I contact you or topatco?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I kept waiting to hear adult Cecil at the end of the tape.

But that's not Cecil's thing. That's Kevin's thing.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I don't want to think deeply on meadows.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I was recently recommended Night Vale, and I absolutely love it. I'm so glad it's getting the recognition and popularity it deserves. Thank you very much for making it, and I just wanted to share a bit of fan art I made for the episode Subway.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

That is awesome fanart.

Here's a video someone took of the end of last weekend's Thrilling Adventure Hour show, it's just the cast singing a song. At about 1:25 - 1:30 you can see Cecil's head in the background. :)

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Annakie posted:

That is awesome fanart.

Here's a video someone took of the end of last weekend's Thrilling Adventure Hour show, it's just the cast singing a song. At about 1:25 - 1:30 you can see Cecil's head in the background. :)

That is an awesome video. So many people I adore on stage with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
One bit of the show I initially didn't cotton to was the Weather. Over time, however, it became one of my favorite bits. More and more the songs are tonally/thematically matching what's happening in the story and most of the music is loving fantastic. Really loving Squalloscope.