Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

unless by 'new engine' you mean 'bungie is making it' then sorry guys not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Yeah I agree. You can say what you want about the engine, and it's definitely true, but this is the same group that took weapons off the map and then put them back in later. It's not that they can't do something, because that showed they can do lots of things with the engine and net code. They just have bad ideas.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Don't worry guys they hired Neighbor so Halo is saved

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

MickRaider posted:

Maybe they'll make him community manager so we can get more sweet weekly newsletters letting us know about all the MLG players who were given free airfare and a place to stay totally just happened to drop by the studios this week, HONEST!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

I'm really starting to lose my faith in the future of Halo. Even reading about it now makes me not want to play.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Meh. I think they have a good team of people and when they're not struggling to add features into an outdated engine they'll have more time to focus on making better decisions. Not "What can we do"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RBA Starblade posted:

Bring back the motorcycle thing the Brutes had.

Using that in ODST for the Vidmaster Endure challenge was the best/worst use of two solid hours of my life. Best because of Brute Chopper, worst because I thought doing Endure was a good idea.

(It was fun though, mostly because of who I was playing with)

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MickRaider posted:

Meh. I think they have a good team of people and when they're not struggling to add features into an outdated engine they'll have more time to focus on making better decisions. Not "What can we do"

The only problem I have with Halo 4 that can be blamed on the engine alone is that it can't keep dropped weapons on the map for more than a few seconds. Everything else is something 343 chose to do.

That they got the game to look this good is in fact a testament to some outstanding technical ability at 343, but the engine isn't what has been driving people away from the game.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

sunday at work posted:

the engine isn't what has been driving people away from the game.
A skilled worker with a bad set of tools cannot create the same level of quality as a skilled worker with a good set of tools.

The engine defines everything about the game and the decisions they had to make to get there. Every time they touched anything about the game it was at the engine. This probably made a lot of their decisions for them based on what they could work into the existing engine.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

MickRaider posted:

A skilled worker with a bad set of tools cannot create the same level of quality as a skilled worker with a good set of tools.

The engine defines everything about the game and the decisions they had to make to get there. Every time they touched anything about the game it was at the engine. This probably made a lot of their decisions for them based on what they could work into the existing engine.

Wouldn't a skilled worker recognize the limitations of the tools, and, you know, hammer with a hammer instead of hammering with a screwdriver? Maybe 343 would have been better off not trying to fill the Halo shoes and create something original?

In either case, I do agree with you. I think Halo 4 was overall an experiment for 343 to see where they can go for the next installment, and I'm sure they will make a better hammer for Halo 5 that will fit their direction more.

The question is, seeing where they went with 4, will the diehard fans follow along?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

InfinEight posted:

Wouldn't a skilled worker recognize the limitations of the tools, and, you know, hammer with a hammer instead of hammering with a screwdriver? Maybe 343 would have been better off not trying to fill the Halo shoes and create something original?
When your boss gives you a screwdriver and says "Hammer" you don't really have much option than to listen to them.

In a perfect world 343i would have said "That's stupid I'm going to make my own hammer instead of using a screwdriver" but they didn't have the time to make their own and had to use what was given to them and strap on some new features as well.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

MickRaider posted:

When your boss gives you a screwdriver and says "Hammer" you don't really have much option than to listen to them.

In a perfect world 343i would have said "That's stupid I'm going to make my own hammer instead of using a screwdriver" but they didn't have the time to make their own and had to use what was given to them and strap on some new features as well.

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that the executives and producers are to blame. But with all the fresh ideas and new talent that went into Halo 4, and with how much people seem to have complained about how not-halo the game feels, I don't think that a new engine will really solve anything. All a new engine will do is make the game even less halo-like, but at the same time they're going to be striving to make the game as halo-ish as possible and you'll end up with the same muddled mess that people don't seem that interested in playing right now.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 15, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

You keep saying the engine is to blame, because its Bungies old frankenstein engine.

The problem with that argument is that Bungies Halo games were good, 343s was not. visually, Halo 4 is the best game in the series, potentially even best on the 360. Gameplay wise, it is hot garbage, primarily due to the decisions made by 343.

off the top of my head:
- too many playlists which fragmented the playerbase
- lovely map rotation with no way of avoiding repeat maps (even COD gets this)
- missing classic Halo gametypes like Race, one flag/bomb, BTB objective
- No weapons on the maps besides the random ones, killing the teamplay/map control factor
- sticky and plasma pistol starting weapons
- paper mache' vehicles with absolutely no firepower to compensate (exponentially more boneheaded when you consider the previous point also)
- too many weapons that all do the same thing
- boltshot alt fire
- Invis as a perk
- dropped weapons disappear immediately or soon after
- Ordnance drops - there is a whole universe of problems with these in a Halo game. short version is they changed it from a game that rewards teamplay to a game that rewards playing on a team as a lone gun.

They fixed (or tried to) a lot of these things but way too late to make a difference in the plummeting player count.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

too many weapons that all do the same thing

I've said it before but I think this is Halo 4's biggest problem. Our new weapons are yet another nearly identical plasma rifle, a worthless grenade, a shotgun pistol (which isn't necessarily a bad idea but ended up broken as hell to start), a reskinned smg, a rifle that slaps together the DMR and the Battle Rifle in a game where you can use the DMR and the Battle Rifle and better, a slightly worse grenade launcher than the last one, a cluster missile launcher (which I really like actually), a shotgun with ricochet shells that don't matter (but it'd be nice if it did), Spartan Laser jr. and a super sniper rifle. There's two guns in there that are actually new and different, the rest are functionally near similar to existing ones in a game that brings back older guns that were themselves similar to new guns that replaced them in Reach. The problem isn't the engine. The problem is 343 didn't do anything new, and what they gave was relatively bare bones. Halo 5 needs to do what Halo 4 should have done, keep a handful of core weapons and vehicles, toss the rest, then go from there. Also not justify multiplayer in the context of the story because nobody gives a poo poo.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 16, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Definitely agree with that, especially the removal of the pro-pipe for the lackluster sticky detonator. On a more superficial note, I really disliked the addition of the "feel good text" under the crosshair. I much preferred the more robust medal system of Reach to "YOU ARE A GOOD PLAYER +10".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think the in-universe explanation of multiplayer was fine. Framing it as war games onboard the Infinity is a nice touch, and I don't see how it hurt anything.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Bring back Anniversary Slayer!
That game type was a lot of fun, even if its just nostalgic and adds nothing new.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

I think the in-universe explanation of multiplayer was fine. Framing it as war games onboard the Infinity is a nice touch, and I don't see how it hurt anything.

I'd rather have all the variety back.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 16, 2013

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Halo 3 is officially free to download. Link: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Halo-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307e6

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

jivjov posted:

I dunno, the part where a 343 dev mentioned it being the reason some of the more entertaining game modes were left out might have something to do with it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd rather have all the variety back.
Yeah, by far. Besides, the "in universe story" was "it's a bunch of military training simulations," as told by a couple minute long cutscene and Palmer telling you to buy poo poo as you ranked up. There wasn't anything about it beyond that. No special cutscenes at various level increments, no real sense of anything anyone couldn't have inferred by simply pausing to think "why do red and blue teams shoot at each other?" and coming to a simple, logical conclusion of "military training simulations" "who gives a poo poo?"

Sure was worth dropping several classic and fun game modes.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

The United States Space Marines train their aryan warriors for interstellar war by having them play glowy skull orb football

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I really hope they don't keep the palmer/Spops story line going. I am afraid they will see it as a wasted resource and continue to expand upon a lovely offshoot of the series that nobody wanted, likes, or cares about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Booties posted:

I really hope they don't keep the palmer/Spops story line going. I am afraid they will see it as a wasted resource and continue to expand upon a lovely offshoot of the series that nobody wanted, likes, or cares about.

Hi, I'm nobody. I thought Spartan Ops was pretty awesome, and I'm still holding out hope that we'll get a Season 2.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'd rather see Firefight return personally, and have it fully integrated with Forge mode so that people can design their own Firefight maps as well as their own competitive multiplayer maps. Much like you can select player spawns in Forge mode, they could integrate monster spawns as well, so that Forge creators can place designated spawn points for monsters (for example, a dropship will drop enemies 'here') and then have fun designing bases to defend. Integrate all enemy types from the universe into the mode (Covenant, Flood, Promethean) for creators to mix and match as they see fit, and I'd buy an Xbox One so fast I'd probably injure myself.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jivjov posted:

Hi, I'm nobody. I thought Spartan Ops was pretty awesome, and I'm still holding out hope that we'll get a Season 2.

MUFFlNS posted:

I'd rather see Firefight return personally, and have it fully integrated with Forge mode so that people can design their own Firefight maps as well as their own competitive multiplayer maps. Much like you can select player spawns in Forge mode, they could integrate monster spawns as well, so that Forge creators can place designated spawn points for monsters (for example, a dropship will drop enemies 'here') and then have fun designing bases to defend. Integrate all enemy types from the universe into the mode (Covenant, Flood, Promethean) for creators to mix and match as they see fit, and I'd buy an Xbox One so fast I'd probably injure myself.

God drat the spergy "cant handle matchmaking so I'll play firefight/horde mode because AI combatants make me feel better about myself" subset of gamers sure do love them some repetitive frustrating gameplay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Laserface posted:

God drat the spergy "cant handle matchmaking so I'll play firefight/horde mode because AI combatants make me feel better about myself" subset of gamers sure do love them some repetitive frustrating gameplay.

Please direct me to where I ever said that I couldn't handle matchmaking or played SpOps to 'feel better about myself'. And/or stop projecting so hard. Take your pick.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Laserface posted:

Wow, wait, what? When did...? Nobody said?

Oh, the "I don't like that mode, so I'll come up with random bullshit that makes me superior because you play it" card. A powerful, if highly specialized, card.

edit: Thank you, you've been a delight.

See? See this? I had to edit my post to add more stuff because of how loving stupid your post was.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 16, 2013

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Neowyrm posted:

Wow, wait, what? When did...? Nobody said?

Oh, the "I don't like that mode, so I'll come up with random bullshit that makes me superior because you play it" card. A powerful, if highly specialized, card.

edit: Thank you, you've been a delight.

See? See this? I had to edit my post to add more stuff because of how loving stupid your post was.

D-drat... dude will probably never have the guts to post around here ever again after that....shredded

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

kirbyabc posted:

D-drat... dude will probably never have the guts to post around here ever again after that....shredded

Eh, it was fun to type.

In seriousness, I enjoy horde-type gamemodes because they're caught in between multiplayer and single-player.
Also, you can't fight the really special campaign enemies in multiplayer.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Why stop there? Why not put ai in multiplayer matches for shits and giggles only for the net-code to not function well and players will find themselves dying to invisible "guardians". Why everyone thought it was fun to play those Halo Custom Edition "Co-op" maps is beyond me when the netcode can't even support it.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Why stop there? Why not put ai in multiplayer matches for shits and giggles only for the net-code to not function well and players will find themselves dying to invisible "guardians". Why everyone thought it was fun to play those Halo Custom Edition "Co-op" maps is beyond me when the netcode can't even support it.

Netcode on Halo PC can hardly support vanilla slayer. It's too bad, that game would probably have a thriving community if it didn't pretty much suck to play. I know people still play, but the community seems to be largely comprised of people from underdeveloped nations playing rockets, zombies, or blood gulch snipers.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Why did Halo 4 come out when it did? Was 343 told to make Halo 4 on the 360 purely as a test run to see if they could handle the property? Because to me it seems that missing the opportunity to start a new Halo trilogy with the first game being a launch title for the Xbone is a pretty big missed opportunity.

4 came out almost exactly a year before the Xbone is going to launch, at a time when the 360 was clearly about maxed out for what the hardware could deliver. Is Halo 4 basically a sacrificial release to see what they could get away with changing? Even if they learn a lot from the experience it isn't really comforting to know that that was the driving motivation behind the game

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I haven't played it months but this game was fantastic when I played it so I'm just going to be glad that I don't play games for hundreds of hours and burn myself out over the details. But I'm the crazy person who consider's ODST to be my favorite Halo game.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 16, 2013

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

sunday at work posted:

Is Halo 4 basically a sacrificial release to see what they could get away with changing?

Yup pretty much. Get it on the end of the 360's life while somehow making it seem like the most advanced Xbox 360 game.

Halo 4 is fun, more fun than Reach IMO, but it falls short of being the kind of quality and commitment you'd expect from a Halo game. Though I still think they were trying to polish a turd and a lot of people caught that.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

You guys got me curious so I dug up my Halo 3 disc and played a few games... meh. Don't get me wrong, I loved Halo 3 back in the heyday but there's a lot of nostalgia going on in this thread.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Yeah I think Halo 4 is honestly more fun than Halo 3, but not as fun as Reach. Reach was the perfect game.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

ironlung posted:

You guys got me curious so I dug up my Halo 3 disc and played a few games... meh. Don't get me wrong, I loved Halo 3 back in the heyday but there's a lot of nostalgia going on in this thread.

Dude you got it wrong. Halo 3 was the greatest game and ever since then they've just been adding dumb new features without changing anything about netcode or gun dynamics.

I mean how am I supposed to time the rocket launcher to troll the staff captains in MLG playlist?!

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah I think Halo 4 is honestly more fun than Halo 3, but not as fun as Reach. Reach was the perfect game.
Maybe if the DMR wasn't such an inconsistent piece of crap Halo Reach might have been better.

Also if the maps weren't complete poo poo. Countdown is the only map that was bearable and even then it had gaping flaws.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Maybe if the DMR wasn't such an inconsistent piece of crap Halo Reach might have been better.

What was inconsistent about it?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

What was inconsistent about it?
The number of times I thought I had a headshot to harmlessly plink their neck was unfathomable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MickRaider posted:

The number of times I thought I had a headshot to harmlessly plink their neck was unfathomable.

Oh, my problems with the BR and DMR go beyond recoil or spread. I think the BR and DMR are far too dominant and always have been. Despite my complaints, I probably do like Halo 4's basic multiplayer gameplay best. Hopefully Halo 5 will do better.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 16, 2013

• Locked thread