Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
We had a ton of smaller companies, certainly smaller than 1k employees, some as small as 5ish employees, looking for interns and employees at my school recently (UT-Dallas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Here is my post about the first company I joined out of college where I rejected them but then went back to them and got the job still.

Although thinking about it now, it could be possible that a big company may just spite you and decide not to rehire you, but I think that possibility is low.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083&userid=38749&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post413493130

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

Here is my post about the first company I joined out of college where I rejected them but then went back to them and got the job still.

Totally true. I interviewed at a place a while back, and even though my salary requirements were out of line with what they were willing to pay at the time, we're still in touch. They want to hire me "eventually", when they have the staffing budget to pay me what I want. In the meantime, if something goes badly for me at my current job, I could have a new gig in less than a week, albeit at a lateral/slightly reduced salary. It's hard to pin an exact number on it because it's impossible to quantify the convenience of not having a commute and getting to take 2 hour naps if I'm sleepy. I figured "current salary + 25%" is a good starting point.

Of course, if you ask for a giant sack of money, and they don't think you're actually worth that giant sack of money, expect different results. This is a case of me wanting a reasonable amount of money, but them not being able to afford it. There were no hard feelings.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm fascinated that I've yet to hear companies like Dropbox, Evernote, Twitter, Square, AirBnB mentioned even once in this thread as far as job options go. Are companies under 1k people not on a new graduate's radar at all? I remember being in college interviewing with Xanga back in the Paleolithic and they had something like two dozen employees at the time (it was a Fibonacci-flavored interview, for the curious). Do "small" companies not recruit in colleges any longer?

At least one person writing in this thread recently interviewed at Dropbox. It's also a game of numbers. The natural churn rate of a big company can be equal to the entire workforce of a smaller one.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Skuto posted:

At least one person writing in this thread recently interviewed at Dropbox. It's also a game of numbers. The natural churn rate of a big company can be equal to the entire workforce of a smaller one.

That's cool, I missed that one, would love to hear what that experience was like. And yes, what you're saying makes total sense.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DotFortune posted:

I graduated in June and got a decent dev job at a startup, doing full stack web development. I am immensely bored or frustrated 100% of the time. This isn't intellectually fulfilling, I feel like all the coding I do is just banging things into submission, gratification feels impossible and I don't see a way out. I'm starting to doubt if I made the right decision going into software development, and I'm wondering if I need to run the gently caress back to school to do something else. Help.
Try specializing instead of doing the full stack. Isn't there just one part of it you find more interesting? Personally I think writing good frameworks or at least some good OO structure can be "intellectually fulfilling" in a fashion, almost fun and exciting. Automation in form of scripting, regexes, tools and such are also a favorite of mine. GUI on the other hand, gently caress that.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Hughlander posted:

There's only one right way to do Fizz Buzz the enterprise way

loooool amazing. The unit testing, the namespacing, the factories... so great.

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.

ManoliIsFat posted:

loooool amazing. The unit testing, the namespacing, the factories... so great.

Enterprise FizzBuzz was done as a joke. This nonsense, on the other hand, is completely genuine.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Done seriously, that's some weapons-grade overengineering.

I know, I know, but what if I have to maintain the Fizzbuzz-Lock keeping all our nuclear weapons from randomly firing at Tazmania in five years? Will I remember how a for loop works without an enum and 27 interfaces to help? What if the industry standard becomes Buzzfizz? How will we be able to churn out a competitive product in time?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 14, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jsor posted:

what if I have to maintain the Fizzbuzz-Lock keeping all our nuclear weapons from randomly firing at Madagascar in five years?

Don't.

:getin:

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
My boyfriend wants to switch industries, so I'm considering teaching him the first 2 CS classes in the sequence, which covers data structures, big O, algorithms, how the hardware understands a program, enough to pass an internship interview. How would he go about convincing the companies to give him an internship interview, when he's a marketing major working 50 hours a week whose work experience has been primarily managing fast food?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

it is posted:

My boyfriend wants to switch industries, so I'm considering teaching him the first 2 CS classes in the sequence, which covers data structures, big O, algorithms, how the hardware understands a program, enough to pass an internship interview. How would he go about convincing the companies to give him an internship interview, when he's a marketing major working 50 hours a week whose work experience has been primarily managing fast food?

A very impressive github account comes to mind. A couple of classes won't be enough to make him stand out from the other CS applicants. Managing experience and hard work means squat unfortunately :(

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

it is posted:

Come on. Serious?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

it is posted:

My boyfriend wants to switch industries

It depends whether he's good at programming or sucks at programming.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
He should look into those programmer boot-camps.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Good Will Hrunting posted:

He should look into those programmer boot-camps.

I haven't taken many or in a very wide variety of areas, but in my experience those things teach you exactly what you need to know to pass the specific certification they are paired with, and no more. And by "teach," I really mean "show you what topics the exam will be covering and how to answer the questions." I ended up actually retaining very little of what those classes taught me. The format I think doesn't work well, for me at least.

What the classes I took did give me was a large set of topics to study and some general signposts and breadcrumbs for me to follow if I wanted to know the topic well or if I had a particular problem with something.

I wouldn't take any of these if I had to pay my own money for them, since they tend to run in the several thousand dollar range. The ones I've seen anyway.

it is posted:

How would he go about convincing the companies to give him an internship interview...?

The same way he'd go about it if he were a fresh/upcoming grad with no work experience in the industry. Get some small personal projects under his belt that demonstrate he knows basic programming concepts.

Calyn
Sep 3, 2011
I could use some advice, please. :) I applied to a company a few months ago, they apparently liked my application and our whole communication and wanted to interview me, but because the position was urgent and I would have needed a month or more to relocate the interview didn't happen and they took someone else. They wanted to keep in touch though, and when I finally moved out here I let them know that I'm there, basically. They asked me to come in for a visit, nothing really scheduled, I should just come in at the end of the week.

The position is filled, and I don't know if they have any other open positions, although I did express my interest. So, how should I prepare for this visit, like for an actual interview I guess? And what should I expect? Just a tour of their office and a short meet and greet, talking to people and that kinda stuff. I suck at talking to people, I will just end up standing around awkwardly. Oh god. ;)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Calyn posted:

[...]They asked me to come in for a visit, nothing really scheduled, I should just come in at the end of the week.

The position is filled, and I don't know if they have any other open positions, although I did express my interest. So, how should I prepare for this visit, like for an actual interview I guess? And what should I expect? Just a tour of their office and a short meet and greet, talking to people and that kinda stuff. I suck at talking to people, I will just end up standing around awkwardly. Oh god. ;)

If they didn't schedule an hour it's unlikely to be a real interview, at least of the "technical test" kind. Sounds more likely that they want to gauge if they can hire you without having any explicit openings that you're a fit for.

Getting a tour of the office and a meet and greet would be quite awkward if you don't even have any idea if they will ever be able to hire you. I mean, should you ask about how working there is? :confused:

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Skuto posted:

Getting a tour of the office and a meet and greet would be quite awkward if you don't even have any idea if they will ever be able to hire you. I mean, should you ask about how working there is? :confused:
I think it is obvious to both parties the only reason they are talking is for employment. They wouldn't bring him into a meet and greet without having some interest.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Yeah just be a frickin' human who can say "Hello!", "How are you?", etc. Not a "HIRE ME ORE CEASE COMUNICATE" robot. This should not be a hard bar to clear.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah just be a frickin' human who can say "Hello!", "How are you?", etc. Not a "HIRE ME ORE CEASE COMUNICATE" robot. This should not be a hard bar to clear.

Haha, that reminds me:
One of my friends just started a new gig managing a team of developers. He's an excellent manager (he's a former boss, and I'd love to work for/with him again). One of his developers is Captain Aspergers and hates my friend, just because he's different from the old boss.

Apparently, Captain Aspergers responded to a question about what he was doing over the weekend by saying "I don't see why I have to tell you about my personal life."

So, not saying things like that is a good start.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

Pilsner posted:

Try specializing instead of doing the full stack. Isn't there just one part of it you find more interesting? Personally I think writing good frameworks or at least some good OO structure can be "intellectually fulfilling" in a fashion, almost fun and exciting. Automation in form of scripting, regexes, tools and such are also a favorite of mine. GUI on the other hand, gently caress that.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm starting to realize the problem is more so what I'm doing with programming than how I'm doing it. The vague goal I have right now is to break into some sort of social science and use programming to get ahead (or at least for now, just contribute expertise). I think I just don't want to see myself at a "tech company" in a few years. I'm hoping this isn't a naive or unrealistic goal :shobon:

kuf fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 15, 2013

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Calyn posted:

JawnV6 has the right of it, I think. If they're just asking you in for "a visit," they probably just want to get a feel for your personality and whether you're full of poo poo or not when it comes to programming. Just be yourself. You already have common ground: programming. Chances are there will be other nerds there and you'll find more poo poo to talk about. At the very worst, you'll get practice chatting with other people.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DotFortune posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I'm starting to realize the problem is more so what I'm doing with programming than how I'm doing it. The vague goal I have right now is to break into some sort of social science and use programming to get ahead (or at least for now, just contribute expertise). I think I just don't want to see myself at a "tech company" in a few years. I'm hoping this isn't a naive or unrealistic goal :shobon:

I wouldn't chuck your skills out wholesale, start a new career from step 0, and hold onto hope that programming will find it's way back into the mix. That seems like the model you're describing, my apologies if I've misconstrued it.

I can guarantee there's a charity or NGO out there in an area you find relevant who's desperate for a technical person. You'd sell yourself as "capable web guy who wants to do MORE". Build a couple websites (with the goal of cutting yourself out and leaving maintenance to IT), learn the space, figure out what kind of role you want to grow into. That's how I'd approach it.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

JawnV6 posted:

I wouldn't chuck your skills out wholesale, start a new career from step 0, and hold onto hope that programming will find it's way back into the mix. That seems like the model you're describing, my apologies if I've misconstrued it.

I can guarantee there's a charity or NGO out there in an area you find relevant who's desperate for a technical person. You'd sell yourself as "capable web guy who wants to do MORE". Build a couple websites (with the goal of cutting yourself out and leaving maintenance to IT), learn the space, figure out what kind of role you want to grow into. That's how I'd approach it.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do at the bare minimum: feel good about what I'm using my skills for. I do think I want to learn from another field, but you're right that I should adjust incrementally. I'm hoping that I could maybe land a research programming position at a public policy research org with just a little domain knowledge, and then work from there to see how much more I want to learn.

I realized how much I needed a change when every conversation I have about programming I think to myself, "Wow I know a lot but I don't really care that much that I do!"

kuf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 15, 2013

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

After sending in the email accepting an offer from one company, like an hour later the other company that I was interested in emailed me back for a second round of interviews/tests.

The test they sent me to do is basically just to make an HTML form, like straight up just use Bootstrap and CSS3/HTML5 to make a form, that's it. I don't even get how that qualifies as a test.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
If anyone here works or has worked as a PM at Microsoft, I would really appreciate it if you were willing to reach out to me via PM and answer some questions. Thanks!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

If anyone here works or has worked as a PM at Microsoft, I would really appreciate it if you were willing to reach out to me via PM and answer some questions. Thanks!
What does the P stand for in this case? I am none of these things but the question has come up before, product/program/project.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

What does the P stand for in this case? I am none of these things but the question has come up before, product/program/project.

In Microsoft's case it stands for Program.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

In Microsoft's case it stands for Program.
Oh, this poster used it for Project a while back. Anyway I'm not being very helpful. Good luck with your interview or whatever it is :) .

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

Oh, this poster used it for Project a while back. Anyway I'm not being very helpful. Good luck with your interview or whatever it is :) .

Thanks. I have a pending offer from MS (as a PM) and I'm hoping to get some insight from someone who has or currently works there as a PM to help me make my decision.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

What do you guys think about job postings like these? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sof/4133252809.html
They say "entry to mid" level developer, but the pay, 40-50k, seems low for the area. The minimum requirements seem contradictory. Something about it just seems wrong to me. I don't think it's a scam or anything, do you think it's just a recruiter being honest about the pay? That would explain why the pay seems low, they've got to take their cut first.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Zero The Hero posted:

do you think it's just a recruiter being honest about the pay? That would explain why the pay seems low, they've got to take their cut first.

What? This makes no sense. Contractors that use agencies/recruiters deal with a cut on the hourly rate. Full time employment doesn't. Recruiters take a single one-time fee which is some % of the yearly remuneration, and this doesn't affect the candidates paycheck at all.

There are many things wrong with that ad.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zero The Hero posted:

What do you guys think about job postings like these? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sof/4133252809.html
They say "entry to mid" level developer, but the pay, 40-50k, seems low for the area. The minimum requirements seem contradictory. Something about it just seems wrong to me. I don't think it's a scam or anything, do you think it's just a recruiter being honest about the pay? That would explain why the pay seems low, they've got to take their cut first.

Recruiters in general charge a company a percentage of a new hire's starting salary as a fee for finding the person and matching them with the company. They don't "take a cut" of a larger salary and leave an employee with the rest.

That kind of salary is downright insulting for an entry-level developer in loving rural Oregon, and they appear to want one with 2 years of experience in two entirely separate jobs. I don't know how close North Hollywood is to rural Oregon in terms of cost of living, but I'm guessing the answer is "somewhat higher."

Those kinds of postings always either make me laugh or angry, depending on how outrageous they are. Either they're completely clueless about the value of a competent developer, or they're running an H1-B scam. Either way, don't waste your time and don't settle for that garbage.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
The best results I had while job searching was through stackoverflow careers. Craigslist seems to be filled with postings created by someone in HR who has no clue what the position actually entails.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Don Mega posted:

The best results I had while job searching was through stackoverflow careers. Craigslist seems to be filled with postings created by someone in HR who has no clue what the position actually entails.

I think companies have to pay to list jobs on Stack Overflow Careers (an employer told me this once) which is why you tend to get higher quality postings there, because it filters out companies that don't want to pay the money to list their jobs there.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Che Delilas posted:

or they're running an H1-B scam.

Why would they put it somewhere as public as CL? I thought most of these were printed, posted, and discreetly ignored in lobbies.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

piratepilates posted:

I think companies have to pay to list jobs on Stack Overflow Careers (an employer told me this once) which is why you tend to get higher quality postings there, because it filters out companies that don't want to pay the money to list their jobs there.

Also, because it means that they're aware of Stack Overflow and that it has a really high-quality community. I've met plenty of developers who don't know what Stack Overflow is, or consider it to be pretty much the same thing as Experts Exchange.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ithaqua posted:

I've met plenty of developers who don't know what Stack Overflow is

:catstare: How is this possible??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

JawnV6 posted:

Why would they put it somewhere as public as CL? I thought most of these were printed, posted, and discreetly ignored in lobbies.

To prove they were acting in "good faith" when they apply for more H1-B permits. "Oh boo hoo, please Uncle Sam! We've been trying to fill this position for months, but there just aren't any good developers left (who are willing to work for slave wages and with no right to resign without instantly losing their right to live in this country)! We need permission to hire more people through H1-B!"

To be fair, I don't know how often this really happens. But when MICROSOFT itself complains that they have 4500 positions that they can't fill because no more qualified U.S. developers exist, so we need to loving triple the amount of H1-Bs available, I have a hard time believing them.

Edit: Really, I'm sure that the vast majority of the time, it's just stupidity/ignorance from the people writing the job posting.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 17, 2013