Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Haven't seen The Originals yet and from what you guys are saying, seems like I'm not missing much.

The first episode was just a retelling of the New Orleans episode of TVD from last season, with a little extra added. I thought it was fine and am kind of surprised by the lukewarm reaction here.

I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Well it felt like a retread of last year's episode, but I was expecting that. I agree with hating on the witches for threatening Hayley. It's kind of nice to see someone attacking Klaus with his own ruthless methods though. I'm actually glad they aren't setting things up to be too black and white with the factions, one issue I sometimes have with the main show is that the Mystic Falls kids don't always face much backlash from the lovely things they sometimes do.

And thinking back to how awkward the first Vampire Diaries ep was, I'm good with giving them a few weeks to settle in.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
I'm kind of excited to see where The Originals goes. I'm a sucker for empire-building/revenge stories and Marcel is a really interesting, charismatic antagonist. I've never liked Klaus as a silly psychopath, but when he has his moments they really shine. While I rolled my eyes at the end, it kind of makes sense because Elijah doesn't really have a place at this moment. The worst part for me is the baby-plot. I can't help but roll my eyes at it.

Though the show does seem to suffer in the same way that Bonnie suffers, they don't know what to do with witches. While an interesting development to have them as a third element, I can't help but wish that they'd go away. The 'secret weapon' Marcel has doesn't instill in me a whole lot of hope for a good resolution. Their powers are all over the place.

Speaking of Bonnie, I don't really -not- like her. I just don't know what the show wants to do with her. She waffles between being useful and being a roadblock. I kind of wish Bonnie's grandmother had stuck around for a little while longer.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Manos del Sino posted:

I thought it was fine and am kind of surprised by the lukewarm reaction here.

I am too, especially as the episode from TVD it started in last season was pretty well received. It's the same episode just from Elijah's perspective. I think that was a pretty smart way to do it in my opinion. It explained things for anyone who might have missed TVD episode while making it new for those of us who saw it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

To me it felt like a tireless retread of stuff we've already seen. We saw most of this last season but that's not what I mean. It feels like they're just going to start retelling the same Klaus stuff we already know, such as him daggering/betraying his own family.

If you watched TVD you already know that, but now he's on his own show and they either have to commit to the belief that people have watched TVD and don't need to be told that, or they're going to have to retell/show the new people all the same stuff, and since the first episode was a straight up retelling it made me think that's the direction they're leaning towards.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Midnight City posted:

To me it felt like a tireless retread of stuff we've already seen. We saw most of this last season but that's not what I mean. It feels like they're just going to start retelling the same Klaus stuff we already know, such as him daggering/betraying his own family.

If you watched TVD you already know that, but now he's on his own show and they either have to commit to the belief that people have watched TVD and don't need to be told that, or they're going to have to retell/show the new people all the same stuff, and since the first episode was a straight up retelling it made me think that's the direction they're leaning towards.

I have a feeling the first episode or two will be the Cliffnotes on Klaus and the other Originals but it will soon subside and they'll get into the story more fully.

Yes, most of The Originals viewers are Vampire Diaries viewers but they had to make this show accessible to new viewers too. I don't mind that the first episode was a little redundant as long as the whole season isn't going to be the same way.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Tonight was the first night of The Originals on its new time/night and it felt weird not having its lead-in being The Vampire Diaries. The episode expanded more upon Marcel's back story... but was relatively uninteresting. I'm concerned that Elijah will be spending most of the first half locked in his coffin, which doesn't bode well for me since he's the main reason I watched this program.

Vampire Diaries is better without the original family. Lots of family drama on The Originals.

I'd have preferred if the show was just told in the past and showed them going from newly-transformed vampires to meeting up in current times, as i love shows that feature old costumes. This "i want power" plot is weak.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I enjoyed the episode, especially seeing how Marcel originated. I really don't see it as 'I want power' though, especially after this episode. It's more the fact that Marcel has stolen everything, right down to their monogram 'M'. Like Klaus said, he's living in their house, sleeping in their beds and running around being a dick. Klaus got screwed over by the one person he ever cared about, I can understand his anger. It's not just some petty power struggle. Well, at least not in full.

I'm enjoying the budding friendship between Haley and Rebekah too. Rebekah has been in need of a friend. I hope Elijah isn't in the box for most the season, it seems like it's going to take a bit to get him back. But, this is a TVD spin off so hopefully they blaze through plots the same way.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Rebekah has really grown on me, and I think a lot of that came from having her paired with Matt. Her scenes with Haley were great!

Marcel's backstory was also interesting. I liked the twist of having him be part of a "father/son" relationship. It'll be interesting to see if they'll keep him as a villain for long, or if he'll join back to the family to fight some bigger/badder villain later on.

Marinating on it a bit, it's not as flat as I originally thought. I just feel like they're throwing a lot of backstory at us very quickly. That's two episodes now where we're getting backstory out of two. I'd not have minded it spread out a few more weeks.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wait, was the dagger thing a retcon? I thought the daggers themselves were not deadly, it was the white oak ash the blade tips had to be dipped in. I guess that might be too much mythology to drop that early in a "new" show. That and the fact I think TVD said other normal vampires couldn't use the daggers, or they'd die too, however that works.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I think the daggers have to be dipped in the white ash to fully kill an original. If the dagger is on its own it can only put an original to "sleep". Can't remember clearly about a vamp using the dagger on an original. Obviously whatever that deal is doesn't apply to original daggering original.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think the white oak stake was the only thing which could kill them. There's only one of those left.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Peppercat posted:

I think the daggers have to be dipped in the white ash to fully kill an original. If the dagger is on its own it can only put an original to "sleep". Can't remember clearly about a vamp using the dagger on an original. Obviously whatever that deal is doesn't apply to original daggering original.

Nah, it has to be dipped in ash to work. I think they retconned that. And if a regular supernatural tries to use one they die.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Teek posted:

I think the white oak stake was the only thing which could kill them. There's only one of those left.

VD wikipedia says that the white oak stake is indeed the only thing that can kill them and the daggers dipped in the white oak ash is the only thing that can put them to sleep. Maybe these were dipped and we just couldn't tell.

I'm kind of confused about what Marcel's plan is. He wants to look into killing Originals, but that seems dumb to me. He can't kill Klaus because Klaus sired him. So he'd be killing himself and probably all of his friends. I guess he can kill Elijah, but to what end? Witches only live as long as humans, so he'll only have his magic ace in the hole for so long. If he kills Klaus' brother, he has to know he's signed his own death warrant and he'd only have the protection for a few decades. He doesn't know about Klaus' baby deal, so as far as he knows, the Originals could just wait out his witch and then kill the poo poo out of him.

Also, I hope they come up with some explanation for why the other witches didn't just tell them about the super witch and just lay out what their plan really is. Maybe given the sire link, their actual plan is to kill Klaus somehow. That'd pretty much wipe out all the vampires in the area most likely and solve all their problems.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So hot black college guy, witch, vampire or hunter?

Haha the casting on this show. Microbiology professor looks like he's 25.

Katherine is the worst human and I love it. And Silas/Stephan's giving me serious season 2 vibes, this season's off to a strong start so far. It's really recapturing that sense of unpredictable fun that was missing for most of last season.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 11, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Honestly I really liked this episode of the Originals and I'm pretty interested in seeing where they go from here. I was not expecting to be that into it, but this episode really helped push me along!

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Honestly I really liked this episode of the Originals and I'm pretty interested in seeing where they go from here. I was not expecting to be that into it, but this episode really helped push me along!
I dont hate Klaus but we better see a shitload of character development there for me to like the Originals.

I'm a sucker for a good redemption story so I'm hoping.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Steve112sms posted:

I'm kind of confused about what Marcel's plan is. He wants to look into killing Originals, but that seems dumb to me. He can't kill Klaus because Klaus sired him. So he'd be killing himself and probably all of his friends.

Marcel doesn't know that though. Or shouldn't. I thought I was done but Supernatural is too painful to keep up with so you win by default Originals!

The girl being kept in the attic story line is weirdly Bonnie-esque, it's also weird how the witches said the entire city was their sweet spot but Bonnie had to practically stand on top of the bodies of her ancestors.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
I think the Originals is going to be my fav over TVD, just because this season feels like its dragging already. I guess once Qetsiyah shows up, things will get more interesting. She is going to be really pissed with Silas.

While the writers seem to have alot of moving parts this season with Eliana off at college for another backdrop, anyone else kinda feel it's going already going to be predictable?

I guess I'll spoiler this out:

Silas needs to create another dose of the Cure to be human again, so he can do himself in and be with lover forever (idiot.) So we need Human Doppelgänger blood. (Stefan is still alive, remember, and Katherine is now human. Stefan is going to need to be turned back into a human for his blood first for Silas to cook up his magic cocktail; or will he need Bonnie to make it for him as a bribe to bring back her dad? The Doppelgänger is nature's balance. Bonnie is Qetsiyah's bloodline, so she is going to be needed to make the cure one way or another. Maybe Elena's dad knew? Lets ask the creepy professor, a 'travler.'

We can than play out the Stefan is now human storyline, does he want to be? Can he be turned back? Who turns him back? Elena because she still wants his peepee, or Daemon as the ultimate payback for doing it to him 168 years ago? Oh, and make it a whole season 6 with a few more batches of Cure for everyone else to fight over?

Or I'm just an idiot.

I just wanna's see Klaus make an appearance and threaten kill everyone we love for hurting his feelings.

edit: Stefan, jerkface.

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 11, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Stefan dude, Stefan.

I'm really god drat dumb because I made it through your entire post thinking "who the gently caress is Stephen?"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think you need to spoiler speculation unless it's based on previews or actual spoilers. Anyway, that whole theory hangs on Silas actually wanting to die; he had access to the cure for an eternity and didn't take it. Unless he can bring Bonnie back for a re-do to "bring down" the veil, I don't see any of this happening. I just really don't want them to go back to having any cure based plotlines :/

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

hope and vaseline posted:

I don't think you need to spoiler speculation unless it's based on previews or actual spoilers. Anyway, that whole theory hangs on Silas actually wanting to die; he had access to the cure for an eternity and didn't take it. Unless he can bring Bonnie back for a re-do to "bring down" the veil, I don't see any of this happening. I just really don't want them to go back to having any cure based plotlines :/

Bonnie being dead/coming back is the twist of the season I think. She is gonna meet Sila's buddy on the other side, than come back to destroy him. She is the only witch currently in the cast strong enough to stop him.

Silas was buried with the cure as punishment; Why else does he want two Doppelgängers? To reverse the immortally spell. He was the first, and he doesn't have a given 'bloodline' like the originals. Sila's being dead doesn't kill everyone off. He was created with spell, not blood. Doppelgängers make things balanced again. Nature will not allow anything to be 100% immortal.

It is all speculation, but thats what makes it fun! What does everyone else think?

courtney_beth posted:

I just feel like they're throwing a lot of backstory at us very quickly.

This fast pace of information is why I'm really excited watching this series. Two episodes in and we have all these moving parts.

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Okay, I know this has been said many times already but Nina Dobrev seriously pulls off the "Katherine/Elena being two different people" thing so goddamn well. I really actually buy it. Their mannerisms, appearance, voice inflections, ect. are so wildly unalike that it's unbelievable. I know people like to rag on her like they did with Kristen Stewart, but the difference is that Dobrev is a good actress.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Captain Mog posted:

Okay, I know this has been said many times already but Nina Dobrev seriously pulls off the "Katherine/Elena being two different people" thing so goddamn well. I really actually buy it. Their mannerisms, appearance, voice inflections, ect. are so wildly unalike that it's unbelievable. I know people like to rag on her like they did with Kristen Stewart, but the difference is that Dobrev is a good actress.

Maybe she'll soon be doing 3. :smug:

Silas looked like he was unsure how to react when he saw her in the tube. Happy? Angry? Does Qetsiyah/Lover look like Katherine/Elena? :iiam:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Katherine had to be somebody's doppleganger herself, or Klaus never would have tried to do his ritual with her back in the 1400-whatevers. We've never seen the original.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

atomicgeek posted:

Katherine had to be somebody's doppleganger herself, or Klaus never would have tried to do his ritual with her back in the 1400-whatevers. We've never seen the original.

She was the woman their mother sacrificed to make the spell that turned them into Vampires. Elijah and Klaus were both in love with her and their mother decided to teach them a lesson by making them all drink her blood.

Basically their mother was a bitch.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
That was my assumption as well, but they never showed her in magical flashback village, which seemed kind of weird. Maybe triple duty was just one character too many for Dobrev that week--everyone has to sleep sometime.

Unless I'm remembering that wrong. I should go back and rewatch some of those episodes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

atomicgeek posted:

That was my assumption as well, but they never showed her in magical flashback village, which seemed kind of weird. Maybe triple duty was just one character too many for Dobrev that week--everyone has to sleep sometime.

Unless I'm remembering that wrong. I should go back and rewatch some of those episodes.

No, you're right they never did. I always assumed they meant to revisit that plot line and then decided better of it.

Speaking of plot lines I wish they had decided better of Silas would be much more interesting if he wasn't another Vampire.

They should've used him to introduce a different type of threat, the start of last season was very promising for this reason, but he quickly became Klaus 2.0 and seems to be intent on staying that way.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Captain Mog posted:

I know people like to rag on her like they did with Kristen Stewart, but the difference is that Dobrev is a good actress.

For what it's worth, I've never heard these comparisons.

I've seen people make the comparisons between TVD and Twilight, sure, but never between those two actresses specifically.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Remember when Elijah was first introduced and no one had seen Klaus for decades or even heard of original vampires? Remember how staking them would incapacitate them for a brief period but not out right kill them or how the daggers weren't special but instead it was the white oak ash? Remember how Elijah wanted to kill Klaus because he realized how evil he was and how he couldn't be allowed to become an hybrid because he'd be an unstoppable monster?

Yeah. I really wish that was the version of the originals they had stuck with, brilliant villains that lasted a season at most before being dispatched.

I'm happy their baggage has gone from the Vampire Diaries, but I wish it had never had a chance to set in really and now we're just repeating their storyline with Silas.

Eh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Originals will be good, but it won't ever live up to the promise of the originals when they were first introduced.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when Elijah was first introduced and no one had seen Klaus for decades or even heard of original vampires? Remember how staking them would incapacitate them for a brief period but not out right kill them or how the daggers weren't special but instead it was the white oak ash? Remember how Elijah wanted to kill Klaus because he realized how evil he was and how he couldn't be allowed to become an hybrid because he'd be an unstoppable monster?

Yeah. I really wish that was the version of the originals they had stuck with, brilliant villains that lasted a season at most before being dispatched.

I'm happy their baggage has gone from the Vampire Diaries, but I wish it had never had a chance to set in really and now we're just repeating their storyline with Silas.

Eh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Originals will be good, but it won't ever live up to the promise of the originals when they were first introduced.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with VD: it's somewhat repetitive. They reuse plotlines from earlier seasons, tack them onto other characters, and hope viewers won't notice. It's all dangerous vampire, dangerous vampire, dangerous vampire every episode with the occasional vampire hunter/bad witch/werewolf once in a blue moon and it gets a bit old. I'd be all for them having a bit more variety in their villains a la Buffy/Angel/Supernatural.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, Season Four started with the right idea - the town turning against the main characters and forcing them to change course in some way. It would've been awesome and totally unique, and it also would've built upon some of the minor themes from past seasons that were due more attention.

It's a shame they squandered all of that in service of Klaus 2.0 who, honestly, is still failing to grab me.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

If anything The Originals is even Anne Ricier than TVD ever was. The Witching Hour series shared a lot of ideas with the Interview series, from the New Orleans setting to the uncomfortable incest subtext that I see in The Originals. In Anne Rice stuff it's straight up text, though. I thought I had blocked those books from my memory, but I'm thinking TVD/Originals writers are fans. Oh, god, I just realized Silas is basically an immortal magic mummy. I hope everything doesn't turn awkwardly, aggressively Christian in a season or two.

So far I like The Originals, especially since I enjoy poor dopey Rebekah and what they have done with Hailey as a character even if her plot sorta sucks. Marcus is proving to be interesting. I even like that Klaus is still a monumental dickhead even though it's kinda sorta his show. My goodwill shrinks every episode Elijah is shut in a box.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I just rewatched the first Vampire Diaries and as if to illustrate my point about how rubbish Klaus became I noticed that Elena has him as a contact in her phone book.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

PriorMarcus posted:

I just rewatched the first Vampire Diaries and as if to illustrate my point about how rubbish Klaus became I noticed that Elena has him as a contact in her phone book.

What? It all checks out: Klaus only killed Elena's aunt in front of her, so the phone book is as far as she'll let him go. Damon, on the other hand, is a pro and went straight for the little brother; he's now in a lot more than Elena's phone book :quagmire:

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

PriorMarcus posted:

Bahaha I need to rewatch. Gold.

I keep forgetting that Elena and Katherine are played by the same actress.

I am enjoying Silas. A lot. Just the general "gently caress it all" attitude. Different than Klaus's "gently caress everyone and everything" attitude.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, they're getting into some serious re-tread territory with Silas basically being the new Klaus, but I don't really care too much since it's so much fun to watch Paul Wesley not be a moping bastard at this point.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, Season Four started with the right idea - the town turning against the main characters and forcing them to change course in some way. It would've been awesome and totally unique, and it also would've built upon some of the minor themes from past seasons that were due more attention.

It's a shame they squandered all of that in service of Klaus 2.0 who, honestly, is still failing to grab me.

It really annoys me how much season 4 was a missed opportunity. They could have gone so many different directions than they did, but essentially it was all played as safe as possible from a storytelling perspective. And seriously, at this point how is anyone even alive and human left in Mystic Falls?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They have got to cut down on exposition bloat in The Originals. They spend more time talking about their plans than actually doing them. And I really hope Marcel isn't this much of a chump or they'll run out of a main villain barely a few episodes into the season.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 16, 2013

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Wow, I'm really liking The Originals, like even more than TVD at the moment. While the title (The Originals) is kind of stupid and I always hated Klaus in TVD because he was such a petulant child with Superman powers, they seemed to have effectively powered him down a bit since he's being forced to use his head now. I'm a sucker for scheming and plans within plans which TVD used to have a lot more of. And the writing, direction, and music seemed really good this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Wow, I'm really liking The Originals, like even more than TVD at the moment. While the title (The Originals) is kind of stupid and I always hated Klaus in TVD because he was such a petulant child with Superman powers, they seemed to have effectively powered him down a bit since he's being forced to use his head now. I'm a sucker for scheming and plans within plans which TVD used to have a lot more of. And the writing, direction, and music seemed really good this episode.

Did they power him down though? I can't even remember what flimsy excuse they gave for Klaus not just murdering the gently caress out of Marcel? Did they even give one, or just get tired of coming up with them and stopped bothering?

I went from not liking Originals but still liking TVD, to disliking TVD but liking Originals. Originals is still suffering majorly from exposition though. That bloodletting scene was so forced and made Klaus look like a bumbling idiot for not hanging him upside down and cutting his throat.

• Locked thread