Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Man, that is creepy and all but his Wiki-parenthesized claim to fame being "(stalker)" is pretty hilarious. Compared to say, "(astronaut)" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

Man, that is creepy and all but his Wiki-parenthesized claim to fame being "(stalker)" is pretty hilarious. Compared to say, "(astronaut)" or something.

It made me wonder if there was a 'list of stalkers'. There wasn't.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowra_breakout

quote:

In the first week of August 1944, a tip-off from an informer at Cowra led authorities to plan a move of all Japanese POWs at Cowra, except officers and NCOs, to another camp at Hay, New South Wales, some 400 km to the west. The Japanese were notified of the move on 4 August.

In the words of historian Gavin Long, the following night:

At about 2 a.m. a Japanese ran to the camp gates and shouted what seemed to be a warning to the sentries. Then a Japanese bugle sounded. A sentry fired a warning shot. More sentries fired as three mobs of prisoners, shouting "Banzai", began breaking through the wire, one mob on the northern side, one on the western and one on the southern. They flung themselves across the wire with the help of blankets. They were armed with knives, baseball bats, clubs studded with nails and hooks, wire stilettos and garotting cords.[2]

The bugler, Hajime Toyoshima, had been Australia’s first Japanese prisoner of the war.[3] Soon afterwards, most of the buildings in the Japanese compound were set on fire.

Within minutes of the start of the breakout attempt Privates Benjamin Gower Hardy and Ralph Jones (GC) manned the No. 2 Vickers machine-gun and were firing into the first wave of escapees, but they were soon overwhelmed by the sheer weight of numbers and killed. However, Private Jones managed to remove and hide the gun's bolt before he died. This rendered the gun useless, thereby preventing the prisoners from turning it against the guards.

The actions of the Japanese POWs in storming machine gun posts, armed only with improvised weapons, showed what Australian Prime Minister John Curtin later described as a "suicidal disregard of life". Nevertheless, 359 POWs escaped. Some prisoners, rather than escaping, attempted or committed suicide, or were killed by their countrymen. Some of those who did escape committed suicide, or were killed, to avoid recapture. All those still alive were recaptured within 10 days of the breakout.[4]

During the escape and subsequent round-up of POWs, four Australian soldiers and 231 Japanese soldiers died and 108 prisoners were wounded. The leaders of the breakout commanded their escapees not to attack Australian civilians, and none were killed or injured.

hambeet posted:

It made me wonder if there was a 'list of stalkers'. There wasn't.

I typed it in to see if it was there too. So close, but so disappointingly far.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Hummingbirds posted:

I don't think I got this from the thread. It's especially creepy because the guy made a bunch of videos about how much he loved Björk/hated people, which are now largely available online.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Lopez_(stalker)

I remember watching the video for this and the lead up to his suicide was painful to watch, the guy takes all these deep breaths and you can tell he's terrified. Then he pulls the trigger and the bullet goes into his brain and probably swishes around a bit and there's this huge look of pain on the dude's face before his expression goes blank. If anyone thinks a bullet to the brain is a painless way to go, this vid will probably convince them otherwise. He uses a small caliber gun so it's not particularly gory.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Here's one that hits close to home:

The Sydney River McDonald's murders, I don't remember much myself as I was only 10 years old.

My father was the store manager, and I remember the whole family being woken up when he got the call to go into work that night, probably to help identify the bodies and such.

Understandably he was quite 'off' for awhile afterwards, I think it was a lot of putting on a brave face. I cannot imagine what it would be like to see the employees you've worked with for years, cut down in their prime and now lying dead on the floor of your workplace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_River_McDonald%27s_murders

Derek Wood, 18, an employee of the restaurant along with two friends, Freeman MacNeil, 23, and Darren Muise, 18, broke into the restaurant after closing, planning to rob the establishment. They shot, stabbed, and beat three employees to death and left a fourth to die after shooting her in the head. She is now permanently disabled.
The killers claim they had not planned on using any violence in the break and enter; it was to be quick and easy money. Yet MacNeil, Muise, and Wood inched their way into the restaurant via a basement door Wood had left ajar earlier in the evening with his knapsack which he left at the crime scene and Darren Muise wore a Halloween mask. They murdered the three with a .22 caliber pistol, several knives, and a shovel handle. Expecting to find over $200,000 in the restaurant's safe, the three made off with just $2,017.[1]

This article from 2012 covers the aftermath a bit, and has a small interview with the restaurant Owner of the time, he was my dads boss

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/93581-twenty-years-of-heartache

Being a fairly small town, you can imagine the impact something like this had on the community.

The population of the community is listed at 25,000~ people for 1992

I think the strangest part for me even now looking back to when I was 10 years old, is that I can remember the layout of the store from going there often to visit dad at work.

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Oct 18, 2013

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodding_disease

A (probably) neurological disease that was first documented in the 60s and is currently spreading through Uganda and Sudan

quote:

The symptoms of nodding disease are very peculiar. When children are affected by it, their growth is stunted completely and permanently. The growth of the brain is also stunted, leading to mental handicapping of the affected individual. The disease is named nodding syndrome due to the characteristic, pathological nodding seizure. The seizure often begins when the children begin to eat, or sometimes when they feel cold.[6] These seizures are brief and halt after the children stop eating or when they feel warm again. These seizures can manifest themselves with a wide degree of severity. Neurotoxicologist Peter Spencer, who has investigated the disease, has stated that upon presentation with food, "one or two [children] will start nodding very rapidly in a continuous, pendulous nod. A nearby child may suddenly go into a tonic–clonic seizure, while others will freeze."[7] Severe seizures can cause the child to collapse, leading to further injury.[8] Sub-clinical seizures have been identified in electroencephalograms, and MRI scans have shown brain atrophy and damage to the hippocampus and glia cells.[5]
A curious feature is that no seizures occur when victims are given an unfamiliar food; for example, a candy bar.[9]

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
The talk of birth defects etc several pages back made me curious and led to me finding out about this:

http://www.hindawi.com/crim/genetics/2011/428714/

Bartsocas-Papas Syndrome. It doesn't even look human.

I think expecting a healthy normal baby and getting THAT is one of the most unnerving things I could think of.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
In 2008, a mixed race gay teenager with a troubled background was murdered by a budding neo nazi classmate with an equally troubled background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Larry_King

Larry was shot twice in the back of the head at school. To me, one of the most disturbing things about the whole thing was that some of the teachers at the school and the trial's jurors actually defended Larry's murderer. There's a documentary that came out this month about the case. I can only find the videos on Gawker, but the stuff that gets said in them is just disgusting.

http://gawker.com/teacher-of-murdered-gay-student-says-she-relates-to-his-1442431255

"There's just no way that someone who obsessively doodles nazi imagery could be a neo nazi." You'd think they'd appoint people who weren't so biased to be on the jury.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals

quote:

Raining animals is a rare meteorological phenomenon in which flightless animals "rain" from the sky. Such occurrences have been reported in many countries throughout history. One hypothesis offered to explain this phenomenon is that strong winds traveling over water sometimes pick up creatures such as fish or frogs, and carry them for up to several miles.[1] However, this primary aspect of the phenomenon has never been witnessed or scientifically tested. Sometimes the animals survive the fall, suggesting the animals are dropped shortly after extraction. Several witnesses of raining frogs describe the animals as startled, though healthy, and exhibiting relatively normal behavior shortly after the event. In some incidents, however, the animals are frozen to death or even completely encased in ice. There are examples where the product of the rain is not intact animals, but shredded body parts. Some cases occur just after storms having strong winds, especially during tornadoes.

quote:

The following list is a selection of examples.

Fish
Singapore, February 22, 1861[15]
Olneyville, Rhode Island, May 15, 1900[16]
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, July 1, 1903[17]
Marksville, Louisiana, October 23, 1947[18]
Kerala, India, February 12, 2008[19]
Bhanwad, Jamnagar, India, Oct 24, 2009[20]
IIT MADRAS, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Sep 12, 2013[21]
Lajamanu, Northern Territory, Australia, February 25 and 26, 2010,[22]
Loreto, Agusan del Sur, Philippines, January 13, 2012[23][24]

Frogs and toads
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan, June 2009 (occurrences reported throughout the month)[25]
Rákóczifalva, Hungary, 18–20 June 2010 (twice)[26]

Others
An unidentified animal (thought to be a cow) fell in California ripped to tiny pieces on August 1, 1869; a similar incident was reported in Olympian Springs, Bath County, Kentucky in 1876[27]:stare:
Jellyfish fell from the sky in Bath, England, in 1894[28]
Spiders fell from the sky in Salta Province, Argentina on April 6, 2007.[29]
Worms dropped from the sky in Jennings, Louisiana, on July 11, 2007.[30]
According to a video, Spiders fell from the sky in Santo Antônio da Platina, Brazil, on February 3, 2013.[31] (However, it has been suggested as falling from a mass web between elevated poles.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_jelly

quote:

“Star jelly” (also called astromyxin, astral jelly, pwdr sęr, star rot, or star shot) is a gelatinous substance sometimes found on grass or even on branches of trees.[1] According to folklore, it is deposited on the earth during meteor showers. Star jelly is described as a translucent or grayish-white gelatin that tends to evaporate shortly after having “fallen.” Explanations have ranged from the material's being the remains of frogs, toads, or worms, to the byproducts of cyanobacteria, to the paranormal.[2][3][4][5] Reports of the substance date back to the 14th century and have continued to the present day.[5][6]

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Spiders fell from the sky in Salta Province, Argentina on April 6, 2007.[29]

:gonk:

Frogs and fish are funny.... That's just hosed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That was probably not at all the same phenomenon as the others listed, and something closer to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKh9MeYO9uA

That video might also count as unnerving to some people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

That was probably not at all the same phenomenon as the others listed, and something closer to this:

So that's just one gigantic web that stretches across a whole street? The spiders aren't falling theyre just floating there so I assume its a huge web. If I saw that poo poo I'd get in my car and never loving look back.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

HenryEx posted:

I'm just thinking about all the poo poo I'm going to get done now that I'll never sleep again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Next time you meet a crazy guy who thinks they're hearing the government talking through radio waves in their head, they might actually be right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frey_effect

quote:

The microwave auditory effect, also known as the microwave hearing effect or the Frey effect, consists of audible clicks (or, with modulation, whole words) induced by pulsed/modulated microwave frequencies. The clicks are generated directly inside the human head without the need of any receiving electronic device. The effect was first reported by persons working in the vicinity of radar transponders during World War II. These induced sounds are not audible to other people nearby.

Research by NASA in the 1970s[citation needed] showed that this effect occurs as a result of thermal expansion of parts of the human ear around the cochlea, even at low power density. Later, signal modulation was found to produce sounds or words that appeared to originate intracranially. It was studied for its possible use in communications. Both the United States and USSR studied its use in non-lethal weaponry

The existence of non-lethal weaponry that exploits the microwave auditory effect appears to have been classified "Secret NOFORN" in the USA from (at the latest) 1998, until the declassification on 6 December 2006 of "Bioeffects of Selected Non-Lethal Weaponry" in response to a FOIA request. Application of the microwave hearing technology could facilitate a private message transmission. Quoting from the above source, "Microwave hearing may be useful to provide a disruptive condition to a person not aware of the technology. Not only might it be disruptive to the sense of hearing, it could be psychologically devastating if one suddenly heard "voices within one's head".

The technology gained further public attention when a company announced in early 2008 that they were close to fielding a device called MEDUSA (Mob Excess Deterrent Using Silent Audio) based on the principle.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

hambeet posted:

:gonk:

Frogs and fish are funny.... That's just hosed.

Yeah I feel like I might kill myself if it started raining spiders for more than like a day.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
When I was in the Navy stationed on Guam there was a place you could go to called Yokoi's Cave. This guy fought WW2 until 1972 because he refused to surrender. Personally, I don't find it scary or unnerving, but I can imagine that from his perspective it was probably exactly that. This guy went from being a Japanese soldier sent to Guam in 1943 to being a man out of time in 1972. Crazy stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoichi_Yokoi

But the funny thing is, he wasn't the only Japanese soldier to hold out for so long.. this guy didn't surrender until '74 and they even had to get his old commander to come and relieve him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah I feel like I might kill myself if it started raining spiders for more than like a day.

You have a high threshold. More than a day? I'd say any instance of raining arachnids ever and I'd be running out onto the freeway at night.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

hambeet posted:

You have a high threshold. More than a day? I'd say any instance of raining arachnids ever and I'd be running out onto the freeway at night.

But spiders will rain on you if you go outside.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rasta_Al posted:

But the funny thing is, he wasn't the only Japanese soldier to hold out for so long.. this guy didn't surrender until '74 and they even had to get his old commander to come and relieve him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

It's almost kinda :unsmith: that he specifically didn't surrender, he was officially relived of duty by his CO.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

VogeGandire posted:

It's almost kinda :unsmith: that he specifically didn't surrender, he was officially relived of duty by his CO.

That rear end in a top hat murdered 30 people, because he was a stubborn jerk that refused to accept that Japan lost the war.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, drat, I didn't see that :stare:

Yeah, OK, not :unsmith: at all then.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That rear end in a top hat murdered 30 people, because he was a stubborn jerk that refused to accept that Japan lost the war.

Man I wonder what it was like for the people living on the island :stare: Like, you know, up in the hills somewhere is this crazy soldier guy who might inexplicably start raining gunfire down on you at any time.

Imagine trying to explain that to a tourist. "Yeah, still some Japanese left over from 20 years ago, best not stray too close to the hills."

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Aaaaaaaa. :cry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_da_Queimada_Grande

Ilha da Queimada Grande, also known as Snake Island, is an island off the coast of Brazil which is home to an endemic species of snake, the Golden Lancehead Viper (Bothrops insularis). It is one of the deadliest snakes in the world. The island is off limits to humans, as due to an abundance of prey items (nesting migratory birds), it is estimated that there are anywhere between one to five vipers per square meter. Yes, every step you take on this island you are basically within striking distance of a deadly snake :gonk:

I'm not even afraid of snakes but this place sounds like the stuff of nightmares. And yes, numerous people have died here.

Pitnicker has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Oct 20, 2013

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Pitnicker posted:

Aaaaaaaa. :cry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_da_Queimada_Grande

Ilha da Queimada Grande, also known as Snake Island, is an island off the coast of Brazil which is home to an endemic species of snake, the Golden Lancehead Viper (Bothrops insularis). It is one of the deadliest snakes in the world. The island is off limits to humans, as due to an abundance of prey items (nesting migratory birds), it is estimated that there are anywhere between one to five vipers per square meter. Yes, every step you take on this island you are basically within striking distance of a deadly snake :gonk:

I'm not even afraid of snakes but this place sounds like the stuff of nightmares. And yes, numerous people have died here.

In that article it says that it might even be worse at one snake per square meter. I imagine that the picture on the wiki article, that all the yellowishness is just more snake waiting to bite you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How is One Snake Per Square Meter in any way worse than One to Five Snakes Per Square Meter?

Snake island rules.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Well now I know where to send those pesky secret agents who keep infiltrating my secret volcano lair.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

How is One Snake Per Square Meter in any way worse than One to Five Snakes Per Square Meter?

Snake island rules.

Well the 1 to 5 was the local legend and the 1 per was verified by the Discovery Channel.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
There could just 430,000 snakes all piled up on one square meter of land.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Actually if you read the article on the snakes, many of them are hanging out in trees waiting to ambush perching birds. So every step you take without getting bitten by a viper you can take comfort in the thought that it's probably just dangling over your head.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The German Wikipedia article on the island says that the local legend of 1 snake per m˛ never did bear out, but that 1 for every 30m˛ was the approximate count a hundred years ago. It goes on to say that by mid-20th century, inbreeding led to a large percentage of snakes being unable to reproduce, an expedition in 1965 didn't find any snakes at all, and in the next year only 7 specimens, and it quotes a researcher who in 1977 speculated that the snakes would soon be extinct...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

wayfinder posted:

The German Wikipedia article on the island says that the local legend of 1 snake per m˛ never did bear out, but that 1 for every 30m˛ was the approximate count a hundred years ago. It goes on to say that by mid-20th century, inbreeding led to a large percentage of snakes being unable to reproduce, an expedition in 1965 didn't find any snakes at all, and in the next year only 7 specimens, and it quotes a researcher who in 1977 speculated that the snakes would soon be extinct...

That's exactly what you'd say to someone if you wanted them to go visit the island...

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

SheepNameKiller posted:

I remember watching the video for this and the lead up to his suicide was painful to watch, the guy takes all these deep breaths and you can tell he's terrified. Then he pulls the trigger and the bullet goes into his brain and probably swishes around a bit and there's this huge look of pain on the dude's face before his expression goes blank. If anyone thinks a bullet to the brain is a painless way to go, this vid will probably convince them otherwise. He uses a small caliber gun so it's not particularly gory.

I tried to watch that video all the way through, I really did, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Christ, my palms are all sweaty and my heart is beating. It's amazing how attached some people can become to total strangers.

The Philadelphia Experiment has probably been posted. It's pretty :tinfoil:, (with lots of [citation needed] to boot), but I think it's pretty creepy.

quote:

Also, it is said that when the ship reappeared, some sailors were embedded in the metal structures of the ship, including one sailor who ended up on a deck level below that where he began, and had his hand embedded in the steel hull of the ship, as well as some sailors who went "completely bananas". At that point, it is said that the experiment was altered at the request of the Navy, with the new objective being solely to render the Eldridge invisible to radar. None of these allegations has been independently substantiated.

Bareback Werewolf has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Oct 20, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

wayfinder posted:

No researcher has successfully returned from the island since 1977, that's why we don't have numbers. :ohdear:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IShallRiseAgain posted:

His story just makes me sad; like, what did he think the world was like? As far as he was concerned, he was forgotten in the middle of an eternal war.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That was in 1944, I'm pretty sure. He and his guys hid while the war was still on.

I am kind of concerned that a) search parties looking for him in the 50s shot at him unprovoked and b) the article says he was a guerrilla for 30 years but only describes one instance of him burning a rice field. It seems like a lot of stuff is left out of the article and I guess it's very possible the guy did kill people in peacetime.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

a travelling HEGEL posted:

His story just makes me sad; like, what did he think the world was like? As far as he was concerned, he was forgotten in the middle of an eternal war.

He was obviously completely and utterly brainwashed.

Sargs
Aug 15, 2001

Poyekhali!

hambeet posted:

That's exactly what you'd say to someone if you wanted them to go visit the island...

Them Krauts never did forgive Dr Jones.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

That was in 1944, I'm pretty sure. He and his guys hid while the war was still on.

I am kind of concerned that a) search parties looking for him in the 50s shot at him unprovoked and b) the article says he was a guerrilla for 30 years but only describes one instance of him burning a rice field. It seems like a lot of stuff is left out of the article and I guess it's very possible the guy did kill people in peacetime.

I obviously am not sure, but from what I have read it seems like he killed local inhabitants to have a secure place to hide.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I obviously am not sure, but from what I have read it seems like he killed local inhabitants to have a secure place to hide.

I think it highly possible that the local population was probably hostile in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MadMattH posted:

I think it highly possible that the local population was probably hostile in the first place.

Also possible, but it was their land he was dragging a war to so you can't blame them.

• Locked thread