Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

I read it and IMHO there's a glaring bias in that article. It's the way he mentions Combo Winter and Affinity Summer (2004, not 2005) as huge mistakes and doesn't even mention the Jace/Preordain/Stoneforge era. Then ends the article by banning Cranial Plating but unbanning JtMS? Yea, great, just what every aggro player wanted to hear, thanks for throwing us a bone by giving us Wild Nacatl back.

To be fair, for a ffej article it's generous in not asking for Wild Mongrel, Arrogant Wurm, and Wonder :3:.

I just want them to keep Jace TMS out of modern because money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Unban JTMS then reprint him in every core set from now until forever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Jace is never getting un-banned unless they do something weird like give planeswalkers summoning sickness so that you have a turn to kill him before all your answers get fatesealed away.

On a related note, I wonder if Wizards ever would/could print a four-ability walker again, and not either make another broken one or go ultra-conservative and make it suck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Jace is never getting un-banned unless they do something weird like give planeswalkers summoning sickness so that you have a turn to kill him before all your answers get fatesealed away.

On a related note, I wonder if Wizards ever would/could print a four-ability walker again, and not either make another broken one or go ultra-conservative and make it suck.

Considering Garruk was 5 I think they could manage it. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Unban Jace, change the planeswalker rule so that you can only control one planeswalker of the same name per match. :v:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering Garruk was 5 I think they could manage it. :v:
I'd like to see them do more planeswalkers with non-loyalty-ability rules text. That was my favorite thing about the were-gary design

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

I'd like to see them do more planeswalkers with non-loyalty-ability rules text. That was my favorite thing about the were-gary design

Absolutely, I'd love to see more like that but the fact that they've been reusing abilities leads me to think they're not really interested in exploring that design space and Garruk was more or less done that way out of necessity.

Maybe when they realize they need to give their Chandras something other than a ping ability. :v:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Absolutely, I'd love to see more like that but the fact that they've been reusing abilities leads me to think they're not really interested in exploring that design space and Garruk was more or less done that way out of necessity.

Maybe when they realize they need to give their Chandras something other than a ping ability. :v:

I think now that they've made a good Chandra we'll get to see some other red planeswalkers going in different design directions. Koth 2.0 or Tibalt 2.0 maybe?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jassi007 posted:

I think now that they've made a good Chandra we'll get to see some other red planeswalkers going in different design directions. Koth 2.0 or Tibalt 2.0 maybe?

Tibalt will be the first 1 Mana Planeswalker.

Loyalty 1

+1 Lose 5 Life
-1 Lose 10 Life
-3 Lose the Game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Tibalt will be the firstsecond 1 Mana Planeswalker.

Loyalty 1

+1 Lose 5 Life
-1 Lose 10 Life
-3 Lose the Game

Deathrite Shaman. :colbert:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Woo, four for four playing dredge in two-mans tonight. Played against reanimator, shardless bug, and two blue decks I didn't see enough of to place. I am not sure where to place a deck when I just see brainstorm, force of will, and jace.

Still need to actually take off the gloves and try storm. I've goldfished it, but I still don't feel as comfortable with it as I do with dredge.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I really, really want to try Omni-Tell at least once in my life. The idea of drawing your entire deck and being able to cast anything and everything in it is some magical, six-year old Magic player Christmasland poo poo to me. I'm sure it's more complex than that but it sounds too fun to not experience ever.

This is what I play now. It owns. Owns owns owns. The only deck more fun is TES.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AgentSythe posted:

This is what I play now. It owns. Owns owns owns. The only deck more fun is TES.

Do you have a list by chance? I'm going off of this one here and the strategy I see is:

-Turn 2 Show & Tell, drop Omniscience (or Dream Halls as a backup) into play.
-Cast Enter the Infinite.
-Cast Emrakul (after first casting Omniscience, if you weren't able to play one with Show & Tell)
-Swing.

Is that accurate or more of a best-case scenario? My main question is how you keep from decking yourself if EtI gives you one more draw step to win, while Emrakul needs two to reach 20 damage. Can you cast Brainstorm, not lose when you can't draw 3, then put 2 on your "library"?

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
You cunning wish for release the ants, put emrakul on top of your library, then start infinite casting release the ants.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mulletstation posted:

You cunning wish for release the ants, put emrakul on top of your library, then start infinite casting release the ants.

:stare: I was wondering why that was in the SB. That somehow makes less and more sense than what I said.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Tibalt will be the first 1 Mana Planeswalker.

Loyalty 1

+1 Lose 5 Life
-1 Lose 10 Life
-3 Lose the Game

I think they could make a 1 mana walker that wouldnt be too broken.

Nissa, Mana Elf Bullshit - G

+0: Add (1) to your mana pool
-1: You may play an additional land this turn
-2: Add GG to your mana pool

[2]

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I think they could make a 1 mana walker that wouldnt be too broken.

Nissa, Mana Elf Bullshit - G

+0: Add (1) to your mana pool
-1: You may play an additional land this turn
-2: Add GG to your mana pool

[2]

That would be busted as hell in Legacy Elves. It basically says -1 play second Gaea's Cradle this turn.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Do you have a list by chance? I'm going off of this one here and the strategy I see is:

-Turn 2 Show & Tell, drop Omniscience (or Dream Halls as a backup) into play.
-Cast Enter the Infinite.
-Cast Emrakul (after first casting Omniscience, if you weren't able to play one with Show & Tell)
-Swing.

Is that accurate or more of a best-case scenario? My main question is how you keep from decking yourself if EtI gives you one more draw step to win, while Emrakul needs two to reach 20 damage. Can you cast Brainstorm, not lose when you can't draw 3, then put 2 on your "library"?

That list is basically fine. Mulletstation corrected your ideas on what the win condition, although since this list is maindecking Emrakul, you do have an out if your Cunning Wishes get Extiprated by doing what you described. I do not play Emrakul main, but have him in the board. I have four of all of the relevant combo pieces maindeck, including Cunning Wish. I maindeck a flusterstorm for counter wars with one in the board, and I also have -1 intuition so I can keep one of those in the board to wish for and 1 trickbind. Trickbind is an out to an assembled counter/top, and also fuels are card I keep in the sideboard called Firemind's Foresight. Firemind's Foresight allows you to go off if you have Dream Halls out with just Cunning wish + 2 blue cards in hand. Pitch blue card to cast cunning wish, grab firemind's foresight. Pitch blue card to play firemind's foresight, grab intuition, trickbind, some cantrip. Pitch either the trickbind or cantrip to intuition grabbing three Enter the infinites, pitch remaning blue card to cast enter the infinite, win at your leisure. I also use the Laboratory Maniac with Research // Development as my win condition to not have to deal with leyline (though it is trivial to bounce it, just one less thing to deal with) or opponents having Emrakul. I mean, the out to Lab Man is Sudden Shock and that is literally it. Everything else you can counter or respond to with Brainstorm.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

8th-snype posted:

That would be busted as hell in Legacy Elves. It basically says -1 play second Gaea's Cradle this turn.

Except Crop Rotation already exists, does this at instant speed and will search for the Cradle from your deck to boot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except Crop Rotation already exists, does this at instant speed and will search for the Cradle from your deck to boot.

Wasn't that card banned at one point?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

TheKingofSprings posted:

That walker would be a way to run more Crop Rotations that aren't be dead draws if you already had one. Don't have another Cradle in hand? Guess I'll just +0 and play another elf or -2 and play two elves. There's a reason wizards is super careful these days about things producing more mana than they cost, because people find ways to break them nearly immediately.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finally started playing TES against other people. Skipping over the tournament practice room going to two mans, because gently caress it, tournament practice isn't very good practice. I've had some fuckups, and some turn one kills. Just got a turn one kill where I opened a hand of fetch, 3x LED, dark ritual, chrome mox, infernal tutor. Basically a 'you better have a force of will' hand. He was a doomsday storm deck though, so no force there.

Miracles is rough, especially when they put out the turn two counterbalance. Been siding in abrupt decays, but it still hasn't been good. It is fun beating them with goblins when they open with a leyline of sanctity though. You can't hit them with duress or tendrils, but thankfully silence doesn't target. My guess is that the wishboard chain of vapor is to help deal with that?

I still feel like a novice playing the deck though. Plenty of figure out.

Edit: Just straight up running the list in the OP here.
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?23361-Deck-T-E-S-The-EPIC-Storm

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 12, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

That's Bryant Cook's list

Always run Bryant Cook's list. That man is king of Storm

fake edit: LOOOOOOOL at that opener. I assume you played everything, grabbed Underground Sea, played D. Rit for BBB floating, played Infernal, popped all of the LED's in response to the Infernal, grabbed Ad Nauseum, win as you see fit? I have been trying to get better with that deck as well.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Anyone planning on going to GP DC?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You mean GP Dulles Airport? :colbert: I am planning on going.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hahaha, yeah, I can't decide if I want to run RUG, or UWR Delver... maybe I just pick up the pieces for ANT?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

That's Bryant Cook's list

Always run Bryant Cook's list. That man is king of Storm

fake edit: LOOOOOOOL at that opener. I assume you played everything, grabbed Underground Sea, played D. Rit for BBB floating, played Infernal, popped all of the LED's in response to the Infernal, grabbed Ad Nauseum, win as you see fit? I have been trying to get better with that deck as well.
Yup, exactly what I did. It was an easy win.

So far I've only actually burned out on an ad nauseum once. Just a really bad set of draws. I had a couple rituals and a couple of rites in the hand, but only one petal and no moxen or LEDs. Couldn't scrape together the mana to both search for and cast a wincon. It was actually pretty embarassing.

Still need to read that thread on TES, to actually get better at playing and sideboard. I have been bringing in Xantid swarm against control decks to good effect. If you don't explode immediately though, wasteland can be really cruel to the deck.

I do like that TES seems better equipped to handle hate than dredge. Silence, duress, cabal therapy, xantid swarm. On one hand, it attacks from an angle which is more commonly hated than dredge. On the other hand, the hate isn't generally as backbreaking as a leyline of sanctity is to dredge.

Edit: drat, Bryant Cook's thread there is really good. Even straight up telling you what to side in and out against different decks. I should have read this sooner. It might help me gently caress up less.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 12, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

He's really good and also Lemnear in that thread is really good. He's (Lemnear) a dick (some evidence: if his opponent has a Bob out and the game is close, he will take his opponent to one life and give them the out of Bob flipping a land to stay alive), but he's a good TES pilot. In his sig, he has like, 5 links called Heart of the Storm. They are threads he has made where he goes through an entire tournament he was in and talks about the hands he keeps and mulligans in each game and the reasons for that, then the exact sequence of cards he plays. Really great informative.

Stinky Pit posted:

Hahaha, yeah, I can't decide if I want to run RUG, or UWR Delver... maybe I just pick up the pieces for ANT?

"Do I want to be boring as hell, or run a super sweet deck that gets to basically play with multiple black lotuses?"

In seriousness, UWR is really well positioned, and RUG is never bad. That is sort of the point of RUG. I played Glenn Jones in Baltimore and he was on the UWR plan. You get some sweet sideboard options and get to play the best red, white and blue spells in the format.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Woo, I just beat omnitell. Suck it omnitell! Good old silence, protecting the combo like a champ. I had the kill ready on turn 2, but didn't have protection. Decided to wait out to be able to cast silence too, and it turned out to be a smart decision, as he had force.

AgentSythe posted:

"Do I want to be boring as hell, or run a super sweet deck that gets to basically play with multiple black lotuses?"
It is pretty fun. TES seemed like the natural progression, coming off of LED dredge. It is the LEDs that are the huge expense on MTGO. It feels like a deck that has pretty good game. Just need to get better at piloting it.

I always have a tough time deciding whether or not to go off after a countered silence. I might have the kill, but I don't know what else is in their hand. Always worried about daze too, especially if I don't have any extra mana when casting ad nauseum.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mulletstation posted:

I love this so much. I just love when awful cards manage to sneak into eternal formats via bizarre circumstances. This is right up there with Slash Panther as a 4-of in Vintage.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

The Lord of Hats posted:

I love this so much. I just love when awful cards manage to sneak into eternal formats via bizarre circumstances. This is right up there with Slash Panther as a 4-of in Vintage.

Vintage perplexes me. The deck lists are all like 15 cards worth thousands and then a bunch of trash.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Do Workshops lists still play that card? I thought they all switched to the regular MUD creature base. So like, Lodestone Golems, Metalworkers, Kuldotha Forgemasters into Blightsteels.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
Is the Melira Pod vs Splinter Twin match up in Modern really bad for the Pod player? Game 1 I lost on turn 4 to end step Pestermite into Spinter Twin (I could have gone infinite life on the next turn, not that that particularly matters here) and even with my boarded in disruption (Thoughtseize, Dismember) I just didn't feel like I had enough to both disrupt him and keep up a meaningful clock.

I really like the pod deck but haven't been able to play it a ton, so any advice is appreciated.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

redux posted:

(I could have gone infinite life on the next turn, not that that particularly matters here)

Just FYI, if you can do your infinite life combo at instant speed (and you can) then it "matters" against Twin insofar as you can stay alive until he bolts your Melira or something. Wait for him to declare how many tokens he's attacking with, then gain enough life to survive them all. Repeat.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I saw a very interesting modern brew the other day and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this. The guy was playing mono green ramp with the nykthos card and he was consistently ramping into turn 4-6 Emrakuls. Is this sort of deck even viable in Modern or was it just a fun thing to do? He even ended up with a turn 5 20/20 Omnath a few times.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Korak posted:

I saw a very interesting modern brew the other day and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this. The guy was playing mono green ramp with the nykthos card and he was consistently ramping into turn 4-6 Emrakuls. Is this sort of deck even viable in Modern or was it just a fun thing to do? He even ended up with a turn 5 20/20 Omnath a few times.

I dunno, most combo decks can kill by turn 4 and Elves (not a great deck in Modern) can Emrakul on turn 4 or even 3 (T1: Elvish Mystic, T2: Cloudstone Curio, T3: Combo off) against a goldfish.

Seems kind of weak.

I guess I'm not seeing what kind of problems Nykthos Ramp avoids that Elves has to deal with in terms of efficient removal.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 15, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is https://mtgtop8.com still the best place to find current Modern decklists? I am going to FNM this week for the first time in forever and I need to see what a current Melira Pod list looks like.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Is https://mtgtop8.com still the best place to find current Modern decklists? I am going to FNM this week for the first time in forever and I need to see what a current Melira Pod list looks like.

Absolutely, although I'm also fond of MTGgoldfish since it also gives you frequencies of cards in the winning decks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Korak posted:

Wasn't mono-green Eldrazi ramp a thing in ROE? Even if Limited? If you wanted to make it work I'd start by looking there. And while it's not exactly the same but that reminds me of a deck we brainstormed up in the thread a couple months ago-

Deck: Emrakul's Path

//Lands
1 Breeding Pool
8 Forest
4 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Plains
1 Temple Garden

//Spells
4 Congregation at Dawn
4 Descendants' Path
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Drift of Phantasms
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Nest Invader
4 Noble Hierarch

Display deck statistics

Turn 2 Descendant's Path, turn 3/4 Emrakul off of Mutavault or Nest Invader (in Magic Christmasland). I haven't actually tested this at all and it's probably not consistent enough to make a splash, but it was fun to think about. This was pre-Theros so I don't know if there would be anything worth including from that set.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 17, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If I wanted to run living end but didn't have x4 Fulminator Mage, is there anything else I could run in its place. The deck already goes x4 Fulminator, x2 Avalanche Riders, and while I'm not happy about it, I could go x4 Rider, x2 "something else," right? Or do I need to go old school Stone Rain just to keep my opponent's mana hosed to stay ahead long enough to win? Or are creatures too valuable to go the Sorcery route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Tharizdun posted:

If I wanted to run living end but didn't have x4 Fulminator Mage, is there anything else I could run in its place. The deck already goes x4 Fulminator, x2 Avalanche Riders, and while I'm not happy about it, I could go x4 Rider, x2 "something else," right? Or do I need to go old school Stone Rain just to keep my opponent's mana hosed to stay ahead long enough to win? Or are creatures too valuable to go the Sorcery route?

From my experience playing Living End, 2 Riders is usually even more than enough. I've had many games that I've just sided them out. I didn't have any Fulminators either, and it didn't cause me too many problems (I guess how effective that card is is also related to the meta you're in). I just filled those slots with more cyclers - Architects, some more Jungle Weavers.

• Locked thread