Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Skeesix posted:

I think that libertarianism is an ideology he's adopted because he couldn't cut it as a regular chemist.

:psyduck: Gale is an incredibly skilled chemist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys don't get it.

There's a bunch of libertarian redditors so clearly gale must be a fedora wearing pedophile defending MRA redditor, and not pure cream of the crop, pride of the internet goon like us. gently caress pubbies, they're all scum.
:goonsay:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pomp posted:

You guys don't get it.

There's a bunch of libertarian redditors so clearly gale must be a fedora wearing pedophile defending MRA redditor, and not pure cream of the crop, pride of the internet goon like us. gently caress pubbies, they're all scum.
:goonsay:

:psyduck: Who are you parodying? Have you read the thread? Nobody has been saying anything like this. Libertarians like free markets between rational actors. So did Gale, and that was the point of his character. Nobody has been offering anything close to the sentiment that you are mocking :psyduck:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Civilized Fishbot posted:

:psyduck: Gale is an incredibly skilled chemist.

He was a good chemist, but, as he himself said, he couldn't handle the non-chemistry stuff. Couldn't work with (most) people, couldn't handle applications or needing to find money or get approval or whatever. Gale's skills basically amounted to chemistry, and nothing but chemistry, and ironically enough, that's not actually enough to be a chemist. Or, really, a member of nearly any profession. He was a nice enough guy (apart from, you know, making meth), but he didn't understand and couldn't handle the real world.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:psyduck: Who are you parodying? Have you read the thread? Nobody has been saying anything like this. Libertarians like free markets between rational actors. So did Gale, and that was the point of his character. Nobody has been offering anything close to the sentiment that you are mocking :psyduck:

SirDan3k posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say he was out of country in Thailand or wherever at a Karaoke bar. I'm also going to assume he was there for easy access to underage asian prostitutes like every libertarian with a passport and a bit of money to spend. Innocent? No, Gale was pathetic not innocent.

Are you really not familiar with the bizarre fear/hate boner that a lot of goons have for pubbies? This is as simple as Reddit has a lot of dumb "libertarians," Reddit has pedophile apologists/pedophiles, so noted libertarian Gale must also be a terrible person. That's all there is to this. People like to otherize, and it's easy to assume anyone in an "other" group fits the bill 100%, especially when others in your peer group are doing it.

In short, there's a strange superiority complex that a select few outspoken goons have, because for some reason they think that there's a difference between them and pubbies as a whole other than :10bux:. That's just where I'm assuming this sentiment of "Gale was a terrible person and a lovely chemist, why else would he be libertarian" is coming from.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 17, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Libertarians are terrible people in reality. It doesn't have to be a goon thing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

He was a good chemist, but, as he himself said, he couldn't handle the non-chemistry stuff. Couldn't work with (most) people, couldn't handle applications or needing to find money or get approval or whatever. Gale's skills basically amounted to chemistry, and nothing but chemistry, and ironically enough, that's not actually enough to be a chemist. Or, really, a member of nearly any profession. He was a nice enough guy (apart from, you know, making meth), but he didn't understand and couldn't handle the real world.

I'll agree with this - I'm sorry to Skeesix if this is what Skeesix meant - I thought that (s)he was saying that Gale was actually bad at chemistry.

Pomp posted:

Are you really not familiar with the bizarre fear/hate boner that a lot of goons have for pubbies? This is as simple as Reddit has a lot of dumb "libertarians," Reddit has pedophile apologists/pedophiles, so noted libertarian Gale must also be a terrible person. That's all there is to this. People like to otherize, and it's easy to assume anyone in an "other" group fits the bill 100%, especially when others in your peer group are doing it.

In short, there's a strange superiority complex that a select few outspoken goons have, because for some reason they think that there's a difference between them and pubbies as a whole other than :10bux:. That's just where I'm assuming this sentiment of "Gale was a terrible person and a lovely chemist, why else would he be libertarian" is coming from.

I didn't see that post - sorry! :( I think that aside from the posts dedicated entirely to bashing libertarians like this

FishBulb posted:

Libertarians are terrible people in reality. It doesn't have to be a goon thing.

the discussion has been pretty neutral and even-handed about libertarianism. One could go onto whatever Ron Paul forums or wherever and people would probably say the same things about how Gale represented an innocent and sympathetic desire to participate in the free markets, and how his murder underlined how pretty much nobody enters into the meth business just to sell meth.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 17, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Skeesix posted:

I think that libertarianism is an ideology he's adopted because he couldn't cut it as a regular chemist. Like a lot of ideologies people adopt (not just libertarians).

I don't know, I completely believe him when he said that workplace politics forced Gale out of good positions. He's a nice a dude, but only because we can see him in his totality, in a regular workplace he'd probably be a bit of an oddball and an outcast. He was probably just fine as a chemist.

Edit - Beaten

Edit 2 - This is a dreadful discussion. Can we talk about anything else?

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

This is a dreadful discussion. Can we talk about anything else?

I always found it interesting that we got flashbacks to Gus's past, because Gus wasn't a main audience POV character like Walt or Jesse. Why did the show offer insight into why Gus hates Hector and the cartels, when the show doesn't otherwise offer insight into why Gus does a lot of what he does?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I always found it interesting that we got flashbacks to Gus's past, because Gus wasn't a main audience POV character like Walt or Jesse. Why did the show offer insight into why Gus hates Hector and the cartels, when it doesn't offer insight into why Gus does a lot of what he does?

Well, Gus' hatred of Hector and the cartel was directly relevant to things, both because it revealed that he wasn't the perfect aloof mastermind he acted like and because it led directly to his death when Walter figured it out. Why he decided to get into the business in the first place, on the other hand, wasn't. Basically, we didn't need to know why he became Chicken King of Meth Mountain, but we did need to know why an angry old guy in a wheelchair would be willing to blow himself up to kill him.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Well, Gus' hatred of Hector and the cartel was directly relevant to things, both because it revealed that he wasn't the perfect aloof mastermind he acted like and because it led directly to his death when Walter figured it out. Why he decided to get into the business in the first place, on the other hand, wasn't. Basically, we didn't need to know why he became Chicken King of Meth Mountain, but we did need to know why an angry old guy in a wheelchair would be willing to blow himself up to kill him.

I think that if the show had just decided to demonstrate that Gus hates Hector and Hector hates Gus, people would have been okay with that without the need to see the origin of their feud - the same way that people accept that the cartel refused to kill Gus without feeling a burning need to know Gus's origins.

Come to think of it, Walt is Hector at the end of the show. He's a weak and lonely man on the verge of death who finds his second wind by going on a suicide mission motivated by spite against rival criminals, using a crazy murder machine built by Walter White and activated by an innocuous button, teaming up with some random young criminal punks to do it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

I think that if the show had just decided to demonstrate that Gus hates Hector and Hector hates Gus, people would have been okay with that without the need to see the origin of their feud - the same way that people accept that the cartel refused to kill Gus without feeling a burning need to know Gus's origins.

They had to show why Gus hated Hector so much. It would have been hollow to see him do all he did at the end of s4 without it. And they did explain why the Cartel wouldn't kill Gus, a few times really... initially because of being the "Generalissimo" in Chile, and then because of his importance to the meth trade in the Southwest USA.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

tbp posted:

They had to show why Gus hated Hector so much. It would have been hollow to see him do all he did at the end of s4 without it. And they did explain why the Cartel wouldn't kill Gus, a few times really... initially because of being the "Generalissimo" in Chile, and then because of his importance to the meth trade in the Southwest USA.

They don't explain why the Cartel couldn't kill Gus other than Don Eladio making a mysterious mention of Gus's past. I think that the same could have been done with Hector and Gus - showing the spite between them without fully explaining how it came to be. The question is what was gained out of showing how the spite came to be. Maybe it was to highlight the difference between Walt wanting to be better than ]everyone (although Elliot especially) and Gus just really hating a few dudes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I always found it interesting that we got flashbacks to Gus's past, because Gus wasn't a main audience POV character like Walt or Jesse. Why did the show offer insight into why Gus hates Hector and the cartels, when the show doesn't otherwise offer insight into why Gus does a lot of what he does?

I always thought that the Gus/Max relationship resembled Walt/Jesse's relationship in some ways and provided some insight as to why Gus seemed to understand (to a degree) why Walt would do crazy and idiotic things to save Jesse.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besides the above, there's a bit of difference between not killing a dude and killing yourself because you hate someone so much you want to see them dead no matter what. Because seriously, even at Hector's age blowing yourself the gently caress up is a big deal.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Skeesix posted:

On the prayer debate, I think Walt was talking to Heisenberg as well. Fairly or not, I've grown to feeling like Heisenberg was a sort of Tyler Durden-ish character. He acts like Walt wants to, he fucks like Walt wants to, he doesn't take any of the poo poo that Walt does, and he likes doing it. Hell, the cancer itself has a similar effect on Walt as Tyler has when he tracks down that one guy who wants to be a vet and puts a gun to his head. In some sense, Breaking Bad has been something like an answer to the question, "OK, what if Tyler Durden had a family?"

Actually, Breaking Bad is answering the question "what if Fight Club had beed about Meat Loaf instead of Edward Norton?"

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Tre Past Cool! posted:

Actually, Breaking Bad is answering the question "what if Fight Club had beed about Meat Loaf instead of Edward Norton?"

His name was Robert Paulsen :mad:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Pomp posted:

Whoa now buddy I've got nothing against "pubbies" and I assume every goon libertarian is a underage prostitute using scum of the earth as well. Also I was grandfathered in so :10bux: doesn't separate me from the scum of the internet.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

SirDan3k posted:

Whoa now buddy I've got nothing against "pubbies" and I assume every goon libertarian is a underage prostitute using scum of the earth as well. Also I was grandfathered in so :10bux: doesn't separate me from the scum of the internet.

Gale was a goon?

I can imagine the E/N thread he would post when Walt fired him.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

otherize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

PootieTang posted:

Gale was a goon?

I can imagine the E/N thread he would post when Walt fired him.

Quick, someone make a version of E/N spacedock for breaking bad!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sarkozymandias posted:

It blows my mind that a goon can watch a show like Breaking Bad and be motivated enough to discuss it at all and still operate under the bizarrely obtuse assumption that anything and everything in it is either one dimensional or totally accidental. "Haha lets make Gale a libertarian karaoke fan because whatever, gently caress this show, I got lunch soon." - Vince Gilligan.

This isn't South Park and interpretation isn't a puzzle to be solved. It's subjective so I guess it's understandable that some people have trouble flailing about in a sea of artistic uncertainty when they can normally just hit up The wookieepedia and satisfy their incuriosity.
You're oversimplifying my stance. The deliberate nature of Vince Gilligan leads many to overthink every single move the show makes, and Gale singing karaoke was there to show us he wasn't a hardened criminal like Gus, not to clue us in to his libertarian Thai sex tourism stance.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just because you don't see it that way doesn't mean other people are wrong. That's the whole point of interpretation. People interpret media based on their own bias and experience. You can disagree and some peoples interpretations are shallow and based on incorrect or false information but to say people are wrong because there's only 1 thing a bit is supposed to mean goes against the whole idea. Gale isn't fleshed out enough to all of his motivations and back story so people have to fill it in. I think sex tourism is a leap based on the limited information the show gives but it's hardly so completely out of left field it's absurd.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I can't be assed to dig it up but AMC posted Gale's notebook online during season 4 and it explicitly spelled out that one of the reasons why he was cooking meth was because he wanted the money to travel. Whether or not he traveled to Thailand and filmed that karaoke video was because he was one of a long line of Libertarian sex tourists, it was just an extension of his personality that the writer's developed by and large off screen.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

The destiny of Breaking Bad. A festering corpse futilely ruminating on various political ideologies.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Skeesix posted:

Quick, someone make a version of E/N spacedock for breaking bad!

I've never been able to figure out who "BLT" is, but everything else in that image is pure gold.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've never been able to figure out who "BLT" is, but everything else in that image is pure gold.

B'elanna Torres

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I see.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

They don't explain why the Cartel couldn't kill Gus other than Don Eladio making a mysterious mention of Gus's past. I think that the same could have been done with Hector and Gus - showing the spite between them without fully explaining how it came to be. The question is what was gained out of showing how the spite came to be. Maybe it was to highlight the difference between Walt wanting to be better than ]everyone (although Elliot especially) and Gus just really hating a few dudes.

They do explain why. Gus was a general under Pinochet.

And they had to explain because it was vital to the storyline.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Gale had interests outside of making meth and never did it to be METH KING and that is why they show a lot of stuff- he had interests outside of his job, unlike Walt.

Gus' backstory was nice because within the tragedy of Breaking Bad, it got to show us another tragedy.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Rapdawg posted:

Gale had interests outside of making meth and never did it to be METH KING and that is why they show a lot of stuff- he had interests outside of his job, unlike Walt.

There's the clincher. Gale was a person, Heisenberg was a drive.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

hiddenmovement posted:

You know, the show strained credulity from time to time, but I realized today the most unbelievable part was when they showed Brock and Jesse having fun playing Sonic 2006.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Tao Jones posted:

You know, the show strained credulity from time to time, but I realized today the most unbelievable part was when they showed Brock and Jesse having fun playing Sonic 2006.

Yeah but later they try again and Jesse ends up dumping Andrea as a result.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Tao Jones posted:

That's just another tragedy intended to incite pity from the viewer

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

tbp posted:

They do explain why. Gus was a general under Pinochet.

And they had to explain because it was vital to the storyline.

Gus as a general?

Buh?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure that Gus as an general under Pinochet was just a fan theory. I don't know if they ever gave out details about Gus's past in the podcasts, but I think all we know from the show was that Gus was had connections in Chile that were important enough that Don Eladio didn't want to outright kill him.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gus seems way too young/jittery in the first flashback to his meeting with Eladio to have ever held a senior military position. I figured (along with most everyone else, I assume) that he had strong criminal connections back home, but that was it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Fuligin posted:

Gus seems way too young/jittery in the first flashback to his meeting with Eladio to have ever held a senior military position. I figured (along with most everyone else, I assume) that he had strong criminal connections back home, but that was it.

Maybe he was the son of an important general under Pinochet and the cartel murdered his :gay: partner as a favor to the general.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Obviously the show isn't reality and the times don't have to match perfectly, but it's a stretch that Gus would have had a particularly high position in the Chilean army, considering the military regime was done by the late 80s. He also behaves in a very naive way in that flashback scene. He seems much more like a Walt, a civilian who found ties to crime and ended up becoming monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

This discussion was a few pages back, but the scene that got me hooked on this show was The Intervention. It so captured both the absurdity and the humanness of the story for me that I knew I had to keep watching. I still find it great to this day. All of the actors play up their characters perfectly, and the "talking pillow" pushes it right over the top.

• Locked thread