Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Prorat posted:

If you live on an island and it's not the UK than videogames is the worst hobby you can have.

Taiwan is pretty good for gaming assuming you're not buying local 3DS stuff. Internet speeds are high enough that I can download games without issue and PC games are usually cheaper here than in America, but they still come with Steam activation codes.

Seriously, the local 3DS stuff is a huge cockup. Pokemon is getting released this weekend here, but aside from it being region locked to Taiwanese 3DS's, it's identical to the version available internationally right now. That means there's no Chinese language available in the game.

I am actually kind of mad about that because if anything, Pokemon would be a great game for me to practice my reading comprehension since it's aimed at a young audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GAME UK has revised their "pre-order bonus", it's now a "collectors' edition":

Includes the game, the little musical treasure chest that other retailers are giving away as a pre-order bonus, an A0-size poster and a download code for Link's Awakening.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds-game-exclusive-collectors-edition-245951

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bought that poo poo. Here's a code for Link's Awakening:

A03K43VU05YFLL6?

? Is the first letter in the name of the green-clad Kokiri girl from Ocarina

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Which is Saria. Thanks much, Hakkesshu!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nintendo posted a Vine about the pre-order bonus a couple of days ago and it is pretty much the best thing

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gamestop in the US is just giving out a free copy of Oracle of Seasons.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

The biggest, non-Yveltal/Xerneas difference between X and Y is a shift in what the main villain wants to accomplish. Personally I think X makes the better story of the two, but the upcoming Z will probably be 'the best.'

Wait, are you saying Lysandre isn't a crazy Law guy in X?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Taiwan is pretty good for gaming assuming you're not buying local 3DS stuff. Internet speeds are high enough that I can download games without issue and PC games are usually cheaper here than in America, but they still come with Steam activation codes.

Seriously, the local 3DS stuff is a huge cockup. Pokemon is getting released this weekend here, but aside from it being region locked to Taiwanese 3DS's, it's identical to the version available internationally right now. That means there's no Chinese language available in the game.

I am actually kind of mad about that because if anything, Pokemon would be a great game for me to practice my reading comprehension since it's aimed at a young audience.

They've never released Chinese language Pokemon games officially (though there are lots of translated bootlegs). I wouldn't hold my breath for that to change any time soon.

Flashing Twelve posted:

I'm an Australian, will there be any disadvantages to buying an American 3DS XL? I'd rather a US version because games are much cheaper to import than buy locally, but google/whirlpool tells me that some games won't do cross-region local multiplayer? The only one I really care about for that is Pokemon X/Y. Also, where can I get one, Amazon with a mail forwarder?

Pokemon can definitely do cross-region multiplayer, even with people playing in different languages. It's been that way online since Gen IV on the DS games.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 18, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Gamestop's Black Friday ad leaked, the Zelda 3DS XL coming to the US? It also still lists Watch Dogs as being available, so who knows how legit it is.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Strange Quark posted:

Pokemon can definitely do cross-region multiplayer, even with people playing in different languages. It's been that way online since Gen IV on the DS games.

Since the GBA games, even!

Cross-region multiplayer is usually a 'yes' for online and a 'maybe' for local. Sometimes it's even strange in that the same game works fine cross-region over the internet but not when connecting directly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Strange Quark posted:

They've never released Chinese language Pokemon games officially (though there are lots of translated bootlegs). I wouldn't hold my breath for that to change any time soon.

This is probably why my students didn't really care when I told them I got Pokemon Y. They usually love talking about video games. I was teaching phonics the other day and had them practice "qu". A toothless first grade girl raised her hand and said, "Like 'Candy Cwush?'" Adorable.

It still seems weird that there would be an OFFICIAL Taiwanese release without any Chinese on it. I guess most people can read English well enough.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Gamestop's Black Friday ad leaked, the Zelda 3DS XL coming to the US? It also still lists Watch Dogs as being available, so who knows how legit it is.

This Zelda bundle is the exact thing I've been waiting for to upgrade to an XL since they were announced. Please be legit :pray:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay so I'm a very casual video game player but I have a weakness for Nintendo games. I'm thinking about buying a 2DS because I don't really care about 3D and I do care about saving $70. A lot of what I've read about the 2DS seems to suggest I shouldn't buy it unless it is for a child. Is this just a gamer elitism thing, or is it really worth the extra money to invest in an XL? It seems like a 2DS would serve my purposes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

drat, how do I get that stupid thing as a pre-order bonus in the US? :argh:

Burger Trench posted:

Okay so I'm a very casual video game player but I have a weakness for Nintendo games. I'm thinking about buying a 2DS because I don't really care about 3D and I do care about saving $70. A lot of what I've read about the 2DS seems to suggest I shouldn't buy it unless it is for a child. Is this just a gamer elitism thing, or is it really worth the extra money to invest in an XL? It seems like a 2DS would serve my purposes.

2DS has smaller screens than the XL obviously if you care about that, if you give a poo poo about the Circle Pad Pro it probably isn't going to get one, the mono speaker will be (more) garbage than the XL's speakers (but you should be using 'phones anyways). Yeah if you just absolutely don't care about the 3D then maybe the 2DS is your thing- try and hold one to see if the shape bothers you at all, though.

2DS is also a bit less portable, obviously.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 18, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

XL fits in your pocket with its clamshell design and has larger screens. There is no scenario where I could conceive you wouldn't want both of those features.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Following on from the import chat earlier, Is it worth importing a US 3DS XL if you are in the UK? I planned to when they were initially released because I was worried about missing out on games (Particularly Atlus for Etrian Odyssey)due to region locking but it looks like that's generally not happening?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Burger Trench posted:

Personally, the main sticking point against the 2DS is just plain ugly looking.

The XL, on the otherhand has much larger screen, much better battery life, and generally better build quality. But if you don't care about any of that, and are short on cash, go ahead and buy the 2DS.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any 2DS owners getting total poo poo battery life? I'm considering returning mine since the low battery light comes on after about an hour or two of use.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Any 2DS owners getting total poo poo battery life? I'm considering returning mine since the low battery light comes on after about an hour or two of use.

That seriously sounds like a defective battery issue.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Thanks for the insights. My decision is now a bit tougher.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I checked more into this, and apperantly this was just an unfounded rumour and there really is no difference between versions, contrary to what I had been told.

Carry on!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Burger Trench posted:

Thanks for the insights. My decision is now a bit tougher.

The 2DS also has a brighter screen that looks a bit sharper then the 3DS or XL to my eyes. The dpad is also better. It's not really portable at all though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Burger Trench posted:

Get the 2DS. You're a casual gamer. You just need something to play great 3DS games. Save your money and get that instead of getting a 3DSXL just because the hardcore here tells you.

Better yet, go into a store and feel them in your hands yourself. Then decide if saving the money is necessary.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You can use that 70 bucks you saved to buy all the used DS games you missed if you never had one of those...

Honestly if you don't care about the screen size or the 3D OR it being a liiiitle less portable, the 2DS is probably your system.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everybody loves flow charts.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 18, 2013

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just for my own curiosity, is the 'buy fire emblem' thing to do with the developer's ultimatum or was it at the time the very best game on the system because I would think the new pokemon is probably the best game currently on the system even though I did very much enjoy fire emblem.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

Just for my own curiosity, is the 'buy fire emblem' thing to do with the developer's ultimatum or was it at the time the very best game on the system because I would think the new pokemon is probably the best game currently on the system even though I did very much enjoy fire emblem.

I thought it was still in the thread title, basically.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's an overused meme at this point.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Byolante posted:

I wouldn't say the 3DS has a "best game" as much as it has a lot of "good/great games". I'm not going to list them here, but suffice it to say that Fire Emblem is one of them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The 3DS is a series of Best Games, to be honest. I think the only game I've been disappointed with so far is Steel Diver, and I bought that for $5 new.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

The 3DS is a series of Best Games, to be honest. I think the only game I've been disappointed with so far is Steel Diver, and I bought that for $5 new.

Pretty amazing how the library has filled out from launch, really.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Pilotwings was pretty boring, but yeah, I own like 15 games and they're all fairly outstanding.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I swore off Nintendo a decade ago, yet here I am, on the precipice of purchasing one of these things. My wife has been wanting to play Animal Crossing and I somehow just found out about the new Pokemon and upcoming Zelda. I've been sick of Zelda since Twilight Princess but the "Link to the Past" vibe of this new one looks beautiful. As a guy who will probably just play a bit before bed to relax and who doesn't care for 3d, I think I'll be getting a 2ds.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I still find it insane how much the 3DS has turned around since launch, considering less than a year ago we were having the exact opposite discussion ("there's nothing good for the 3DS")

Huxley posted:

Everybody loves flow charts.

What if $70 for a feature you're never going to use (3D) doesn't seem worth it? I would hardly say the 3DSXL is svelte enough to fit in my jeans pocket; either way a 2DS or a 3DS(XL) are going into my bag.

People are putting a lot of stock in the form factor of the 3DSXL when in reality not everyone cares about a massive screen and it being clamshell.

robodex fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 18, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I swore off Nintendo a decade ago, yet here I am, on the precipice of purchasing one of these things. My wife has been wanting to play Animal Crossing and I somehow just found out about the new Pokemon and upcoming Zelda. I've been sick of Zelda since Twilight Princess but the "Link to the Past" vibe of this new one looks beautiful. As a guy who will probably just play a bit before bed to relax and who doesn't care for 3d, I think I'll be getting a 2ds.

Animal Crossing is one of the most relaxing games there is, and always has been. It's perfect before bed if I don't feel like reading for whatever reason. SMTIV is my "I have an hour between classes so what do I do?" game (probably soon to be replaced by Link Between Worlds).

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

I'm sympathetic to their plight; my ISP in bumfuck Hawaii caps at 150KB/s down during peak hours and I'll never tell someone "deal with it it's just slow internet." I'll get out someday :smith:

v It isn't if you aren't rich and white enough to go anywhere nice without someone phoning the police or staff demanding you leave because "our customers don't like seeing locals." poo poo, dude, I get guff at fuckin' national parks because the rangers seem to be thoroughly convinced that the only reason brown people go there is to smoke weed or harass tourists, and I don't even look rough around the edges. If nothing else, I don't get treated like a criminal by default sitting at home playing Pokemon, but that's a discussion for another time and place.

If you live in bumfuck Hawaii I think there might be better things to do than play video games. :shobon:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Fire Emblem isn't even a very good game. Out of all the games I've bought recommended that's the only one where I just stopped caring after a night of playing it and haven't picked it back up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sentrygun posted:

Fire Emblem isn't even a very good game. Out of all the games I've bought recommended that's the only one where I just stopped caring after a night of playing it and haven't picked it back up.

I didn't care much for it at all. The addition of the skip button was really appreciated but it just drove home how much of the gameplay was letting enemies suicide on your units.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

sentrygun posted:

This is the other thing about the 3DS library--People who own it agree that it's great, but there's no consensus on why. I personally find Pokemon and Kid Icarus to be painful experiences (quite literally in the latter case), but they're both very common picks for "Best Game on 3DS."

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Plus it gives you more reasons to play the best-of from the DS, such as The World Ends With You.

When is it getting a sequel? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
The only 3DS game I was disappointed with was Project X Zone. I loved Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon Y.

• Locked thread