Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

If I wanted to run living end but didn't have x4 Fulminator Mage, is there anything else I could run in its place. The deck already goes x4 Fulminator, x2 Avalanche Riders, and while I'm not happy about it, I could go x4 Rider, x2 "something else," right? Or do I need to go old school Stone Rain just to keep my opponent's mana hosed to stay ahead long enough to win? Or are creatures too valuable to go the Sorcery route?

Offhand, I think Riders and Stone Rain are just way worse against fetches than Fulminator Mages - you can stop an EoT fetch for shock with a Fulminator Mage (so they have to shock themselves to tap the land on their turn) but Riders and Stone Rain can't do the same thing.

But I think Restore Balance is a lot neater than Living End right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Borrowed some Fulminator Mage from a friend, took Living End for a spin.

How the gently caress is it supposed to beat Infect? I only had 3 Jund charm in my whole deck, and while game 1 I was able to instant-speed Violent Outburst after he'd all-in pumped, it was still so early I only got a Street Wraith out of it and he was able to recover.

Went 4-1, losing only to Infect - beat a trash deck, Burn, Jund and W/R Burn. Infect player was a buddy of mine, and since our match was over in 7 minutes, we played out another 5 hands. I lost every one, handily.

I like Gnaw to the Bone, but the deck needs something else, Dismember and Jund Charm weren't getting there.

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012
Another angle you can try is Rings of Brighthearth plus Simian Spirit Guide. SSG normally isn't great in Living End because you need to spend mana cycling before casting a cascade spell, but it can fit the bill if you want to power out a quick wrath or cast Rings on turn 2. Rings, meanwhile, turns all your cyclers into Divinations and adds a free Rampant Growth to all your fetch lands, which should help a lot in more grindy match-ups.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Won my local Legacy tournament with Jund Nic Fit after going 3-1 in the Swiss, beating Burrito, Cheerios, Stoneblade (sorta), and narrlowly getting a win against RUG cascade in the semis with a game two that went for an hour straight. Turn 3 format, ladies and gentlemen. :downs:

Lost to a Land Tax control deck in the Swiss, which I later beat in the finals.

Nic Fit's fun as hell, I was thinking of slipping in a couple of Pods but I can't figure out what to put in on 3 aside from a lone Eternal Witness. What Pods well in Jund colours on 3?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Won my local Legacy tournament with Jund Nic Fit after going 3-1 in the Swiss, beating Burrito, Cheerios, Stoneblade (sorta), and narrlowly getting a win against RUG cascade in the semis with a game two that went for an hour straight. Turn 3 format, ladies and gentlemen. :downs:

Nic Fit's fun as hell, I was thinking of slipping in a couple of Pods but I can't figure out what to put in on 3 aside from a lone Eternal Witness. What Pods well in Jund colours on 3?

The Nic Fit Pod deck that top-8'ed SCG last week ran Bone Shredder, Eternal Witness, Wood Elves, and Kitchen Finks in the 3-drop slot. That deck was BUG rather than Jund, but those guys are all castable with a Jund manabase.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Tharizdun posted:

How the gently caress is it supposed to beat Infect?

You don't? :v: Either that or play Dismembers?

Or you might just accept that you have a match you more or less auto lose to. I prefer that than playing something like Jund and having 60% win against everything. Yawn.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is the most bonkers LGS meta I have ever heard of in my life. I haven't seen Cheeri0s in the wild in months.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

That is the most bonkers LGS meta I have ever heard of in my life. I haven't seen Cheeri0s in the wild in months.

It's a weird place and the only legacy game in town, I've only actually been there 3 times.

And Stoneblade was my friend playing another of my decks so I don't really get what's up with that place. :psyduck:

Also gently caress Cheerios, last time I lost in the finals to it with Stoneblade somehow and I can't say how good it felt to absolutely destroy it this time around. :getin:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
With beck//call, cheerios is actually pretty decent. A good friend of mine has it, and goes off about as consistently as do with burrito. Plus, it's stronger vs graveyard hate. When we went to an SCG, he actually did much better than I did, partly for that reason (also, he hit death and taxes and some softer counter matchups, whereas the only deck I hit without four forces main was junk nic fit, who slammed leylines with extirpate backup t1).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

With beck//call, cheerios is actually pretty decent. A good friend of mine has it, and goes off about as consistently as do with burrito. Plus, it's stronger vs graveyard hate. When we went to an SCG, he actually did much better than I did, partly for that reason (also, he hit death and taxes and some softer counter matchups, whereas the only deck I hit without four forces main was junk nic fit, who slammed leylines with extirpate backup t1).

This one didn't run Beck though, it was Glimpse with Multani's Presence and Chalice to give it some redundancy.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Why would you run Beck//Call over Glimpse? Or do you mean in addition to Glimpse.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AgentSythe posted:

Why would you run Beck//Call over Glimpse? Or do you mean in addition to Glimpse.

In addition.

I'm surprised to see Moldy Cheerios (the multani's presence version) being played now with Beck around. It's more explosive, but significantly less consistent than regular Cheerios.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Which deck is cherrios again?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Shavnir posted:

Which deck is cherrios again?

Glimpse, free creatures, and Bushwhacker

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Zoness posted:

Glimpse, free creatures, and Bushwhacker

or Grapeshot, or Laboratory maniac.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cross-posted from the Deckbuilding thread:

So I've been fiddling with brewing a Modern deck, and this is what I've eventually come up with.

Deck: Maze Run Ramp

//Lands
4 Arid Mesa
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cathedral of War
1 Forest
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
4 Stomping Ground

//Spells
2 Into the Roil
3 Koth of the Hammer
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand
3 Æther Vial

//Creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
2 Grim Lavamancer
3 Lotus Cobra
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Primeval Titan
4 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
2 Scryb Ranger

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Pyroclasm
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Spellskite
2 Vexing Shusher

Display deck statistics

So far, it actually works really well about three-quarters of the time. The goal is to get Ruric-Thar or Primeval Titan out turn 3, and there are many ways to do that, from Lotus Cobra shenanigans (even sometimes ghost-quartering your own land) to Koth accel, Scryb Ranger, or AEther vialing in a Burning Tree Emissary for two free mana. The problem is that it overextends in order to do this, and if you land Ruric-Thar turn 3 and they take six damage to kill it, you're kind of boned. It is still hilarious, though, especially if you Remand a doom blade or something and dare them to pay another six life.

I realize the singleton Cathedral of War is a bit strange. Obviously I intend to fetch it up with Prime Time, but I'm sure there's a better choice in there somewhere.

Sideboard is a bit wonky, I really don't think the Vexing Shusher has a place at all. Cutting one Noble Hierarch and one Scryb Ranger is probably the next step, but I'm not sure what to replace them with. Probably one more Primeval Titan is a good idea. Maybe a lightning bolt or two for early game stall, if I don't land a big drop turn 3?

On another note, I didn't realize how powerful Koth is. He didn't do much for me in standard, but holy crap, he's won me a ton of games with this stupid deck just on his first two abilities alone.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
What's the reason to run a ramp combo like that instead of the Amulet of Vigor/Summer Bloom deck? Both use ramp tricks to power out huge dudes fast, but Amulet can get you a turn 2 Titan with haste, and both seem equally vulnerable to disruption.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Loot Pinata posted:

What's the reason to run a ramp combo like that instead of the Amulet of Vigor/Summer Bloom deck? Both use ramp tricks to power out huge dudes fast, but Amulet can get you a turn 2 Titan with haste, and both seem equally vulnerable to disruption.

I'm not sure that there is a good reason, other than to try something new. I'd like to think the strategy is a bit more versatile, as there are a few ways to get the big guys out turn three, but even then it doesn't happen that often. The list has some more protection than a quick glance at bloom decks, although I'll admit I'm not familiar with that combo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone taken a look at Cifka and Juza's W/R Twin list and tried it against the more classic U/R lists?

I think the idea is that it has a better matchup against Jund than U/R or something and also blood moon shenanigans but the lack of cantrips is kind of awkward. Village Bell-Ringer as its combo piece is kind of funny.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

Has anyone taken a look at Cifka and Juza's W/R Twin list and tried it against the more classic U/R lists?

I think the idea is that it has a better matchup against Jund than U/R or something and also blood moon shenanigans but the lack of cantrips is kind of awkward. Village Bell-Ringer as its combo piece is kind of funny.

It seems fine, but it's potentially always a turn slower because your second combo creature is Restoration Angel as opposed to Exarch/Pestermite (with Kiki-Jiki). You also can't tap down one of your opponent's lands with the ETB trigger. From looking at it for a few minutes it just seems worse that the U/R version, but I am not as good a deckbuilder as Cifka.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

It seems fine, but it's potentially always a turn slower because your second combo creature is Restoration Angel as opposed to Exarch/Pestermite (with Kiki-Jiki). You also can't tap down one of your opponent's lands with the ETB trigger. From looking at it for a few minutes it just seems worse that the U/R version, but I am not as good a deckbuilder as Cifka.

My understanding is that it wins the 'mirror' by siding out its combo for stony silence at which point it's playing better creatures. Stony Silence also demolishes Affinity, while Blood Moon is probably good against Jund.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

My understanding is that it wins the 'mirror' by siding out its combo for stony silence at which point it's playing better creatures. Stony Silence also demolishes Affinity, while Blood Moon is probably good against Jund.

How does Stony Silence do anything versus U/R Twin?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

How does Stony Silence do anything versus U/R Twin?

I don't know I somehow thought twin was pod :blush:. Path is pretty good against Twin though!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

I don't know I somehow thought twin was pod :blush:. Path is pretty good against Twin though!

Lol! Path is very good. W/R version also has maindeck Relics for incidental GY hate. It looks very meta dependent. If I had unlimited MtG budget I would probably build it since I love combo decks in modern. (I play Melira Pod right now.)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Has anyone done any theorycrafting with True-Name Nemesis? On the source there had been some talk about sticking him in a Bant shell. Hierarchs and Birds to power them out quickly, Phantasmal images to make copies, SFMs to suit up whichever creatures stick. Sam Black posted a premium article (I believe today?) with a similar shell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

Has anyone done any theorycrafting with True-Name Nemesis? On the source there had been some talk about sticking him in a Bant shell. Hierarchs and Birds to power them out quickly, Phantasmal images to make copies, SFMs to suit up whichever creatures stick. Sam Black posted a premium article (I believe today?) with a similar shell.

What would this give you that you wouldn't get from Invisible Stalker already? The 2 extra power and Pyroclasm immunity?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

What would this give you that you wouldn't get from Invisible Stalker already? The 2 extra power and Pyroclasm immunity?

The ability to block anything on the ground should you need it to.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Star Man posted:

The ability to block anything on the ground should you need it to.

Including something like a lifelinker without allowing the opponent to gain life etc.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Zoness posted:

I just got done testing W/R Twin earlier today with a buddy. Didn't try the mirror/with U/R Twin, but tested against UWR Control and had a really good matchup pre and post board.

I've not got a lot of experience either playing twin or playing against it, but the list seemed pretty solid over a couple matches. I like that it wasn't as all-in on the combo, and had the ability to out tempo/have some resilience other than the main plan.

It was a blast to play, and I'd really like to hear some other testing feedback from players better than myself before I start thinking of building it in paper.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I just got done testing W/R Twin earlier today with a buddy. Didn't try the mirror/with U/R Twin, but tested against UWR Control and had a really good matchup pre and post board.

I've not got a lot of experience either playing twin or playing against it, but the list seemed pretty solid over a couple matches. I like that it wasn't as all-in on the combo, and had the ability to out tempo/have some resilience other than the main plan.

It was a blast to play, and I'd really like to hear some other testing feedback from players better than myself before I start thinking of building it in paper.
A cool player in my shop plays W/R Twin, and has since before this list got popular. It's pretty interesting, it has the sort of "many pieces, each a wincon on its own" plan that's pretty exciting (Boros Reckoner/Harvest Pyre, 8 burn spells, the obviously Midnight Guard/Splinter Twin, etc etc). It just crumples to islands, though, a few Silences out of the board just doesn't get there.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

A cool player in my shop plays W/R Twin, and has since before this list got popular. It's pretty interesting, it has the sort of "many pieces, each a wincon on its own" plan that's pretty exciting (Boros Reckoner/Harvest Pyre, 8 burn spells, the obviously Midnight Guard/Splinter Twin, etc etc). It just crumples to islands, though, a few Silences out of the board just doesn't get there.

What form of Islands - Delver/Merfolk or U/R combo lists?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

What form of Islands - Delver/Merfolk or U/R combo lists?
Anything with cards that say "counter target spell" or "return target permanent" on it. You pick.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

lol

edit: Fine, that's not cool. But, "an extra two power" isn't trivial at all and is either going to be boosted (merfolk lords or hierarch + swords) or is in a tempo shell and is backed up by lots of pressure and basically requires them to have some pretty uncommon outs.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 5, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

lol

edit: Fine, that's not cool. But, "an extra two power" isn't trivial at all and is either going to be boosted (merfolk lords or hierarch + swords) or is in a tempo shell and is backed up by lots of pressure and basically requires them to have some pretty uncommon outs.

My point is that Stalker costs 1 less and is seeing zero play. This can block Goyfs all day long and it's a faster clock, but I'm almost certain if this thing's getting slotted in anywhere it's in a Stoneblade deck where it can carry a Jitte, which Stalker can already do for 1 less.

I wasn't saying 'this card is poo poo Stalker does it better', nor was I trivializing it's two extra power, I was simply asking if those two advantages were the primary reason to run it, and if Stalker's not getting played why is this more likely to when it costs three in a format that's already pretty tight on that cost in blue based decks?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

TheKingofSprings posted:

My point is that Stalker costs 1 less and is seeing zero play. This can block Goyfs all day long and it's a faster clock, but I'm almost certain if this thing's getting slotted in anywhere it's in a Stoneblade deck where it can carry a Jitte, which Stalker can already do for 1 less.

I wasn't saying 'this card is poo poo Stalker does it better', nor was I trivializing it's two extra power, I was simply asking if those two advantages were the primary reason to run it, and if Stalker's not getting played why is this more likely to when it costs three in a format that's already pretty tight on that cost in blue based decks?

Invisible Stalker is a lovely clock without a sword, the new merfolk is at least serviceable on it's own.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Been looking at a bunch of old cards, and I discovered that Zur's Weirding is actually Modern-legal. Assuming you have a way to gain 2 life a turn, you can effectively lock your opponent out of the game forever (and they to you, but it's likely that you can run threats = their life total/2)

Now, I'm well aware that the game has evolved since then, and Dark Confidant is a giant stream of urine in the cheerios on this particular plan, but is there a way to build around it? (PS I love bad cards)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Tharizdun posted:

Been looking at a bunch of old cards, and I discovered that Zur's Weirding is actually Modern-legal. Assuming you have a way to gain 2 life a turn, you can effectively lock your opponent out of the game forever (and they to you, but it's likely that you can run threats = their life total/2)

Obzedat?

I had some time to do some Modern testing with my friend on Cockatrice earlier. He stuck to different variations of RWU Control, and UR Delver lists. I decided to take Mono-U Tron, Goblin Tribal, and that weird BW Plunge Into Darkness/Death's Shadow deck that I probably brought up in the thread a while ago.

I only won a single game (out of half a dozen or so) with the BW deck, but christ was it a hell of a lot of fun to play even if I kept loving up decisions/how to stack triggers. Its not competitive, but the sheer fun I had playing it has got me considering building it in paper now.

I mean, you get the opportunity to name cards that aren't even in your deck for Spoils of the Vault. Phedalgriff. Trait Doctoring. Doesn't matter. Suddenly my Death's Shadow is a 53/53 at instant speed and I can't lose the game this turn despite being at -40 life and no longer having a library.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of Zur, I saw deck on someone's stream last night (maybe stealthpants?) who was playing against esper control with honest to goodness Zur and then searching up Detention Spheres and Steel of the Godhood to eventually swing for the win with unblockable Zur and trapits. It was not what I was expecting to see in a modern daily.

e - a decklist, maybe not the same one, but it looks pretty close.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1163259

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 8, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Speaking of Zur, I saw deck on someone's stream last night (maybe stealthpants?) who was playing against esper control with honest to goodness Zur and then searching up Detention Spheres and Steel of the Godhood to eventually swing for the win with unblockable Zur and trapits. It was not what I was expecting to see in a modern daily.

e - a decklist, maybe not the same one, but it looks pretty close.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1163259

LSV posted the list for modern play on the motherboard a while ago. It's not entirely ridiculous - Zur can support a pretty decent toolkit of auras and clique can be used to shuffle auras you draw back into your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is there a halfway decent version of Elves in Legacy that doesn't run duals and Cradles? I'd like to play this deck, but those cards are 'spensive.

• Locked thread