Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Dallas Goons!

Now that summer and work has cooled off a little bit, I am interested in seeing what sort of goon rider presence there is in Dallas. If there's interest, I would be down to organize a meetup and maybe some weekend rides to the hill country or ozarks (after I'm pretty confident that I won't be stabbed in my sleep by one of you goons).

Little bit about myself, I have been riding about 5 years. I currently own a b-king, but I am pretty seriously eyeing Hypermotards. Unfortunately, I am a little bit of a weekend warrior, as my work doesn't allow me much free time during the week. I'm most interested in sport touring, but may look into picking up a track bike this winter.

Let me know y'alls interest, and I can start looking for a good place to meet up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
There are a few in the goon rides thread, one dude not too far from DFW. Bound to be more that haven't bothered posting to the thread. I'll ride if you want. I too am pretty busy during the week but have wide open weekends. Let me know.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm up for it. I commute by bike most evenings and I'm pretty lucky not to have to deal with traffic as I work 3rd shift. Saturdays are my nemesis and any ride that day I'll have to meet up sometime around noon to 1pm (I get out of the office at 8am.) Sundays I'm free all day, just let me know when/where and I'm available.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I'm in Arlington and ride a Ninja 650, boyfriend rides a Vulcan 500. I've only been riding for about a year and 'recently' moved over from the UK so I'm just about used to the new bike and the roads here. A casual goon ride sounds like fun! I'm available on pretty much any day given enough notice as I work from home but I'd prefer weekends as they're the only time my boyfriend would be able to tag along too.

Admittedly I've been 100% useless at organizing a meet up with another DFW motorcycle goon for the past... two months or so due to wedding planning, but that's tomorrow so I should be more available from then on! :toot:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Are there any roads other than on/off ramps in the area that are worthy of trekking to in the immediate area? I know about the hill country/3 sisters, but is there a hidden gem nearby?

Otherwise is there a route I can take that has at least decent sights (architecture/natural formations et al)?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Skreemer posted:

Are there any roads other than on/off ramps in the area that are worthy of trekking to in the immediate area? I know about the hill country/3 sisters, but is there a hidden gem nearby?

Otherwise is there a route I can take that has at least decent sights (architecture/natural formations et al)?

There's supposedly good riding up north of town like Frisco area. I've gone South to Glenrose/Granbury area, its real pretty, not a bad ride- also another hour and your into the Hill Country which is fantastic riding. Up north of the DFW area is 697, it great, but short. East(ish) is the piney woods and Lake o' the Pines- I've heard great stuff about the riding there, but only been through in a car. West is .... Actually- don't go west, ain't nothing west worth seeing until like.... New Mexico. West sucks. gently caress you, west.

So far as "in" DFW riding that'll knock your socks off? Not so much. But if you're willing to ride an hour out of town there is a huge world of good riding.

edit: As far as architecture in dallas:Downtown Ft. Worth and Dallas are fun to ride. There shittons of neat buildings, traffic is a hassle, but its neat. Also OldTown Plano is cool- like off Ave. K north of G W Bush.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 22, 2013

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone catch a look at the moon between 9pm and 10pm tonight. Looked beautiful as heck while I was dodging cars on 635 on the way to work this evening. (I'm a sucker for nicely shaped and looming celestial bodies)

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to see what I can do to get out and about. I really need new tires. The Pilot Road 3s I have on my bandit have been on there for a little over 9500 miles now. Until 2 days ago they weren't too bad, now they've gotten square and cornering smoothly is no longer a thing.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 23, 2013

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Is there room here for newbie riders? I've got 370 miles on my CBR250R in ~5 months of owning it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Sure, you got a bike and are in the Dallas or wherever area... I think that qualifies.
Though none of us have had a meet up yet. Everyone begged off.

Anyone up for a ride around town tomorrow? It's supposed to be 72 and partly cloudy. Maybe a meet up at a restaurant (partly)owned by Ben Spies to help keep him solvent during his retirement?

StackHouse:
2917 Gaston Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75204

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 26, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm game. What time did you have in mind?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I say 11:30am. Though I am flexible.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah, you wanna do this tomorrow then? That works out good- I am SUPER HILARIOUSLY behind on my chain maintenance schedule so that gives me this afternoon to sneak out and get a paddock stand so i can take care of it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
yah, see you tomorrow. You're behind on chain maintenance and I need a new set of tires. Perfect.

Anyone else want to join in, please do so.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Hey guys, possible nice ride.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/556/Texas/Bristol-Bluebonnet-Bash.html

Probably not a tremendous number or nice riding days left in the season, but we should try and sneak it in if we have a chance.\

edit: Oh, MotoLiberty is also doing a Zombie ride this coming Tuesday (Oct 29th). Their signup sheet had about 12 people on it as of yesterday, so it look like it'd be fairly sedate numbers- they'll paint you up like a Zombie and they're going to group ride.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 27, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
You guys missed out! Skreemer and I went for a good ride, ate some good food at a restaurant owned by a former GP rider, got to dodge pedestrians in some shopping center, went through a tunnel (woo, tunnels!). It was a good time! You Dallas riders don't be shy! Still bound to be some more good riding weather before the season gets too lovely.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Good to meet you Padre Scout. The food was excellent, the company was excellent, though I will say new bikes with factory silencers in tunnels are a little underwhelming. When i get the GS450 together enough to go down the highway I'll have to go back.

Don't be shy folks, post up a time and place and let's get some riding done.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I love riding and I love exploring, so I'm down for just about anything. Unfortunately I'm going to be out next weekend. But I'm willing to test the boundaries of my gear after that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Unless you want to group ride in circles around my neighborhood I'm not quite up for anything yet, but once I get some more miles in and have some actual confidence on my bike I'd love to do something. I don't have any friends with bikes in Dallas.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Glad y'all got together to ride. I didn't see the activity in this thread, or I would have gone too. I haven't been on SA as much as usual. I'm definitely down to ride next weekend if y'all are going out again. If the forecast holds up, it should be a really nice weekend.

I spent the weekend in the garage doing doing maintenance on and cursing at my bike, so I will be good to go.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

HiggsBoson81 posted:

Unless you want to group ride in circles around my neighborhood I'm not quite up for anything yet, but once I get some more miles in and have some actual confidence on my bike I'd love to do something. I don't have any friends with bikes in Dallas.
If you're int he metroplex area I've got a 450 that I rail on sometimes. I'll go out and about on a neighborhood ride if you want.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Glad y'all got together to ride. I didn't see the activity in this thread, or I would have gone too. I haven't been on SA as much as usual. I'm definitely down to ride next weekend if y'all are going out again. If the forecast holds up, it should be a really nice weekend.

I spent the weekend in the garage doing doing maintenance on and cursing at my bike, so I will be good to go.

I'm not sure if there's anything set up for next weekend, if you have a route in mind post it up and we'll see what kind of thing we can get going.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Alright, Goons! It's Thursday, supposed to be a nice weekend. Anyone feel like taking a ride?

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I'm down! I have been running a route from Edom to Palestine via FM314. Its scenic, but not particularly curvy. There is a good roadside diner as well. Its about 70 miles east of dallas though, so its a large time investment. If someone has a better route, I am down with that too.

I don't have an email address without my name in it unfortunately, but I can email someone my contact info. I can post up a google map route when I get home from the halloween festivities later on tonight.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Either that or the aforementioned blue bonnet bash would work. We've already established that riding around with no particular destination and a food stop or two does work as a meet and greet.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I'm down for the bluebonnet dash. Anyone have a junk email account they wouldn't mind offering up? I'll send my contact info across. I really need to buy PM

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I'm free to ride around on Sunday if it's nice out. :) I took my first trip over to downtown Dallas today and managed not to get lost so I'm much more confident with longer trips now.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
OK how's this, we'll run the blue bonnet bash on Sunday. We'll meet up hereMetroGrill Texas at 11:30am get some lunch (also make sure everyone has fuel for the bikes). When Lunch is over we'll try the route out and see how it goes. After that we can either break up or if someone has a suggestion for something afterwards we can go do that.

The blue bonnet bash route is only 50 miles in length and has at least a few turns and corners in it.

If someone else has other suggestions for a closer venue, I'm open to it.

Be aware the weather will be 66 degrees but partly cloudy, make sure you layer clothing as needed.

meet up address:
121 S. Main St.
Ferris , TX 75125

My email is skreemer(at)gmail.com if anyone has questions or concerns about things.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 2, 2013

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Sounds great. Emailed you earlier today. I'm planning on making it out.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Husband and I should be there, I'll post here if we end up not making it. (His Vulcan has been temperamental lately.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
and somehow my phone updated twice and now thinks it's 9:30... I may be late but I'll get there.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

That was a pretty ride! :3: Only downside of the day was driving right next to a freshly hit skunk when I was a couple of blocks away from home and had my visor open a bit; 1/10 would not inhale again.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah that was a lot of fun and the scenery was pretty dang good. The road actualy got significantly smoother after y'all headed out on 287 as well. The next 10 miles or so are worth the ride!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'll call it a success then. Thanks for coming out folks. It was a good time meeting you all and scooting about.

SockWeasel, check you man's charging system and battery. His headlight looked awfully dim in my mirrors.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Yup it definitely has an issue with one or the other. (We actually had a charge kit in his backpack just in case heh.) It's most likely an alternator issue as the battery has been replaced and we've had a few lost charges since then. It's on the list of things to fix/reasons to replace it. ;)

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm so jealous! That sounds like it was a good ride. Hopefully I can make the next one. With any luck I'll have a new set of cans on my machine by then, too!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

PadreScout posted:

I'm so jealous! That sounds like it was a good ride. Hopefully I can make the next one. With any luck I'll have a new set of cans on my machine by then, too!

I dunno it might take some drat nice bike/can combo to beat the B-King with the Two-Brothers pipes on it. (A "Duc" with termignoni's on it would work)

This weekend is the Dallas Motorcycle show, anyone interested?
http://www.motorcycleshows.com/dallas

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I am planning on going to that show Friday evening after work. I'm going to try to be there by about 5:30. Any chance that time will work for anyone?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm down. I can be there roughly at that time, depending on southbound traffic.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I can do that, I start work at midnight so I'm in.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm on my way down. Hit me up at thekuffs at the gee mails if you wanna meet up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I'm on my way down. Hit me up at thekuffs at the gee mails if you wanna meet up.

Sorry I missed you, I decided to try and get my drivers license today. What a mistake that was, two trips to the DPS building and I was there from about 10am until nearly 3pm. After working all night there was no way I was going to be pleasant company.

I am planning on going on Saturday though at around 9am. If you didn't go today maybe I'll see you there in the morning.

• Locked thread