Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

#gw2 on irc.synirc.net
Latest Game Updates

:siren: Read below for expansion pack details! :siren:

"LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

everything's great, OP is updated, goon guilds are active, still no sub fee, reinstall and try it out for yourself.

Guild Wars 2 is an MMORPG from ArenaNet, published by NCSoft. It takes place approximately 250 years after the events of Guild Wars 1, and features the adventures of many different races and people across a varied fantasy world. Guild Wars 2 includes extensive PvE (including dungeons and world bosses), World vs World vs World (a massive week long three server war including castle sieges and strategic battles), and Structured PvP (5v5/8v8 structured "esports" matches where gear/level are excluded).

Guild Wars 2 is "Buy 2 Play", as in you will purchase the game initially and then that's it, no monthly fee. There is a popular cash shop ingame known as the "gem store" (as gems are the real money currency) which contains mostly cosmetic items and boosters, as well as the ability to trade between gems and ingame gold. This means that if you are Mr. Moneybags with ingame gold, you can convert some to gems for the cash store items without spending a single real life cent.

You can should buy GW2 here: https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Few important things to get out of the way first:
  • If you are looking at this game for the first time, you absolutely cannot go wrong. This absolutely is one of the best MMOs currently on the market, and you will thoroughly enjoy one playthrough at the absolute least. It's extremely casual-friendly, and has incredibly accessible and open content to all playtimes and playstyles!
  • If you are looking at this again after a short/long break, yes, a lot has changed you should come back and try it again. As there is no sub fee, you have literally nothing to lose but a bit of time. The reasons people left are subjective and many, so no one else other than you can tell you if you'd enjoy it again. Just fuckin' try it again!
  • No more temporary content! Get the rewards you missed from laurel vendors, and if you missed Season 2, you can unlock episodes with gems! If you logged in during the season once every 2 weeks, you got them for free.
  • This OP is not going to list any specific builds. The maintenance required would be ridiculous, as not only are builds very subjective, they change regularly as the game is updated. Refer to the links section lower in this OP for sites about builds.
  • Guild Wars 2 is an non-traditional MMO for the most part. Concepts of aggro, tanking, healers, etc, are all not really existent here. Fun and looking good tends to come before everything else here. Choose your build, gear, playstyle, everything, based on what you find the most fun or best looking. This isn't a typical min/max MMO!

The first expansion pack for GW2 is Heart of Thorns! Dulfy sums up the original announcement here: http://dulfy.net/2015/01/24/gw2-heart-of-thorns-pax-south-livestream-notes/

To sum it up:
  • New Profession: Revenant
  • No new tier of gear
  • No increase in level cap
  • New progression system – Masteries (aka trait points v2.0)
  • New profession specializations (use new weapons, ie. ranger staff)
  • New guild support and new guild progression
  • Guild Halls
  • Heart of Maguuma – New area, consists of 3 distinct biomes – core, root, and canopy
  • New WvW Borderlands map
  • New sPvP mode, Stronghold

Heart of Thorns is out on October 23, 2015, and can be preordered now! Link below, or in the in-game gem store!

https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/en

:siren::siren: Guilds :siren::siren:

The primary home server for goons is Maguuma, a North American realm. Most Euros, Aussies, and other assorted human beings play on Maguuma with no lag problems etc. You will find people online around the clock in both main goon guilds. Both guilds are similar in a lot of ways and you should try both! You can be in multiple guilds in this game, but it's recommended you be on Maguuma as a home server. If you are on another server and refuse for whatever reason to transfer, you can still join the goon guilds and take advantage of all the benefits a guild offers, except for WvW which is a per server specific team thing. As well, there is very little NA/EU interaction, so please ensure you are in the correct geographic realm (North America) for goony play!

Maguuma has a public forum located at http://maguuma.org/ and a public Teamspeak 3 server at ts.maguuma.org

Visit the forums for either of the guilds below for info on how to join them! Do not post in this thread asking for an invite. Both guilds use off-site authorization and have a specific process for joining them. Again, do not post in this thread asking for an invite!

Starfleet Dental [SFD]
We are the ultimate cosmopolitan and internationally renowned guild for those dedicated to Dear Leader's Dental Juche Cause. Great Successor Arus and Grand General Visidan lead Starfleet Dental into the abyss of Guild Wars 2 for a Better Tomorrow. Starfleet Dental is also a legally recognized non-profit organization in over eighty three countries, city-states, and internationally unrecognized territories including Nagorno-Karabakh as of Fall 1993.
Website / Forums / SA Thread / YouTube / Steam Group / #sfdental on irc.synirc.net

Goon Squad [GOON]
Home to the leading international experts on cloaca care and pretty princess advancement, Goon Squad™ now offers a wide range of membership benefits including pun validation and warthog home defense systems. Ask an officer today if Goon Squad™ is right for you and enjoy your first month free.
Forums / Steam Group / Recruitment Video

:siren::siren: About the Game :siren::siren:

PvE (Player versus Environment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RCeGiMby8

GW2's PvE is quite extensive, and consists of a number of major parts:

• Personal Story: You character follows a story which leads you throughout the world, replacing the campaign and mission system from the original Guild Wars. The storyline is personalized based on the character's race, profession and biography questions answered during character creation and branches based on decisions made by the player during game play.

Much of the personal story takes place in solo instances for the character, but other players can be invited to take part in their story. The story instances scale in difficulty with the number of players participating.

Each character also has a home instance which updates as the player advances through the personal story and the world. The player can invite other players to see their home instance.

• Living World: Anet's official term for changes to the game intended to bring the world of Guild Wars 2 to life. Each major game update includes NPCs, events, and sometimes new instances that tell the story of Tyria's ongoing evolution.

Living World, aka Living Story, is how Anet is adding new content to the game. There is more on this later in the OP!

• Renown Hearts: Renown Hearts are fixed areas within an explorable zone that give a set of tasks for a player to assist with and provide a reward upon completion. Rather than being given as a checklist of tasks a player needs to do in sequence, players simply follow a list of possible actions or activities that contribute to the progress of an area's renown heart. Renown hearts act as a way of guiding players towards dynamic events.

• Events: Dynamic events ensure something is always happening in the world. These events replace the traditional MMO quest system, and any player coming across the event can contribute and be rewarded. Events can influence or overlap with each other, chaining from one event to another. A large portion of PvE experience consists of players participating in events together, ranging in from helping farmer grow his crops to epic battles against champions of the Elder Dragons.

Events are the bread and butter of GW2 content, and you should do them as much as you can everywhere you can!

• Dungeons: Dungeons have two modes: a story mode which tells the story of Destiny's Edge and a repeatable explorable mode. In Explorable mode, dungeons provide the most challenging combat available in Guild Wars 2 PvE, requiring good coordination and gameplay from groups of 5 players. Each of the 8 dungeons has one story mode version and three explorable mode versions (with Arah being the exception with 4). You have to run the story mode, which is lower level than the explorable mode, to unlock the explorable paths! Only one person in your dungeon group has to do this.

• Crafting: A player can gather materials to craft items for themselves and their friends. A player character can possess two crafting disciplines at a time, but gathering of different resource types is not restricted. Crafting recipes can be discovered by purchasing them from trainer, by leveling up or as loot, but mostly by experimenting with different combinations of materials at a crafting station.

Crafting is often used as an expensive way to powerlevel alts, with the experienced granted from it. Several crafting skills can also be advanced to level 500 now, and craft Ascended-tier items.

WvW (World vs World)

WvW is a PvP game mode where players from three different servers, or worlds, battle in The Mists. It features open-world combat on four large maps with up to several hundred players per map. In World versus World, players can siege structures such as Keeps and Towers with siege weapons, and battle over resources, to win rewards for their world and prestigious World Experience for themselves.

You can find detailed information about WvW mechanics here.

WvW is the modern incarnation of the old school RvR games, and does it very well for the most part.

Since release, some major changes have happened to WvW:
  • WvW Ranks have been introduced along with WvW XP to give you bonuses to everything from flame rams to amount of supply you can carry. There are thousands of ranks to work through and this is completely separate from regular XP.
  • Edge of the Mists map added. This is an "overflow" map that never has a queue and just spins up more instances of. It does not count towards your world's point total, but can give you other bonuses for winning like supply drops in the main four maps. EotM has 3 unique varied environments (desert, jungle, ice/snow), many objectives to capture, and is extremely fun being a smattering of rocks floating in the air. It contains many "special" objectives, from reactors (which have supply dumps) to airports and siege workshops. There are some fun transforms (like lights balls to scout with, and scorpions that siege things with butt missiles), as well as other unique and interesting mechanics.
  • Borderlands Bloodlust has taken the place of the orb of power mechanic. In the middle of each Borderlands map, the lake is replaced with 5 "ruins" to capture and hold. If your world holds 3 of the 5 for enough time, everyone on the other maps on your side gains a "Borderlands Bloodlust" buff for a limited time. These points slowly decay and are a very popular activity for small groups.
  • Seasons have now happened twice. A season is a 9 week long tournament, where worlds are split up into gold/silver/bronze leagues and battle for a placing. Achievement sets and rewards have been added for each season, and you get better or fancier rewards the higher your world's placing.

sPvP (Structured PvP)

sPvP Reward Tracks, you get prizes for doing matches!

Kajeesus posted:

Basically, dungeon tracks are good and all others are worse, but some of the poo poo ones give unique skins.

Any completed track gives 8 tomes of knowledge, 4 transmutation charges, and a variety of thematic loot boxes, which are affected by magic find and are supposed to replace killing stuff in PvE.

A completed dungeon reward track gives 3 weapons and 1 armor piece of your choice, as well as 240 tokens. If you pick three two-handed weapons and a chest piece, that's a total of 1740 tokens' worth of rewards, which is nothing to scoff at. Most loot bags are veteran quality or better, which means you get a decent amount of champ bags, too.

Other tracks instead contain a handful of tier 5/6 crafting mats, significantly fewer champion bag loot boxes and a single skin and some ascended/legendary crafting mats at the very end. The Region tracks just give a rare drop from the region (Tribal for Maguuma, Legionnaire for Ascalon, etc.), while the Glorious/Balthazar tracks give unique skins that can only be unlocked this way. You might also want to do the Maguuma Wastes track, since it gives 300 geodes (and 2,050 silky sand piles), and is the only way to get Ambrite Fossilized Insects that isn't a random drop.

(thanks to MLG allstar Lazy aka Turncoat Mommy for this writeup)

sPvP is the game's small scale fast pace pvp game mode. The game pits level 80 characters against each other using normalized gear setups.If you're not 80 yet, don't worry. The game will auto level you and give you most the traits and skills unlocked, so no matter if you're level 1 or 80, you'll be on a level playing field as everyone else. The only thing that would need to be unlocked are a healing skill, the XIII trait, and some account wide gear unlocks.

Currently there are 6 conquest maps and one custom arena only team deathmatch map. Every conquest map has their own secondary objective or gimmick to make them unique. You can play these maps in either hot join, solo queue, or as a team. The queued modes are ranked so you'll have a fun game of even teams of 5 with players ranked roughly at your skill level. It is very much worth a try at the ranked game modes if hot join did not interest you much.

You can earn prizes such as champion bags, materials, level tomes, skill scrolls, finishers, even dungeon gear and legendary materials. You have nothing to lose so give it a try, you might find it a fun activity to do in addition to all the other content the game offers.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so you've decided to try pvp

so, you've ran around the world a bit, and you've killed a few thousand flags on sticks. what's this pvp people talk about? well, i was just like you, friend, and i decided to try it out last night. the first thing you need to is click the pvp button (i think it's two crossed swords, but that could have just been the two dudes banging in world chat distracting me). join a pvp lobby??? you bet!

you will arrive in a tutorial world. this place is useless and i recommend you treat every friendly npc as if they were an enemy counterintelligence officer trying to confuse you. revive my allies? why the heck would i do that?!

you will next arrive in the mists, or something, i don't really know. there will be a bunch of people yelling about nerf guns, i think. at the top, there's a button that says 'find pvp match'. click it, then choose unranked, because your dad was right, you're too scared of risk, and that's why no one went to prom with you.

after reading about two charrs screwing for a while, you'll find a pvp match! vote for whatever map you think sounds coolest. i voted for the legacy of foo fighters, I think, but other people picked Sky Hammer so we had to have our rumble there.

the objectives
there are three points in gw2 pvp: home, mid, and far. i will break them down briefly.

home is the point where you go to inexplicably be killed by 5 of your enemies appearing from the fog, like a grim specter of vengeance.

mid is the point where most of the action happens. this means you will be the only person on your team to make a meaningful effort to appear there.

far is the point where your team goes to lose 4v1s against the opponent bunker guardian, at which point your team will tell you that you are a fucker.

the teams
now, let's break down the teams. as this is your first game of gw2 pvp, the enemy team will consist of five Europeans with over a million games who share a single consciousness and whose hivemind allows them to coordinate to a startlingly preternatural degree. they have long forgotten the concept of mercy, and the only joy they feel is when the opponent team does not score above 50 points. even if you could beat them (you can't), it would be cruel to deny them their fleeting happiness.

your team will consist of you, a family of vaguely organized salamanders, a phone book on a keyboard, a 1990s lego mindstorm trying to play using a primitive light sensor and a shoddy series of if-then statements, and a well-trained feline who will immediately change their class so as to be as redundant as possible. let's do this!

the match begins
four of your team immediately rush to capture the nearest point (home). this will be the last time you see three of them, so i suggest you do not become too attached. you should go mid and see if you can beat the opposite team there (you can't). when you see four of the opposite team on mid, you should attempt to pull back and find your team. an enemy thief will immediately appear behind you and begin the process of humiliating you. i either could not find the proper hotkey or else i did not assign the skill where my character comically falls on his butt, killing the thief, so i did what i am pretty sure is 100 percent correct play: died. while the opponent is trying to kill you, throw a bunch of rocks at them. in this way, the thief will live up to his name, and fall victim to his own hubris, and then you can awkwardly die next to each other, just like in titanic. you could have shared the door, kate.

you check the sidebar, and realize what you feared: three of your team are repeatedly throwing themselves off of cliffs. the cat, your 3rd engineer, has become distracted and is trying to stack turrets on top of each other. at this point, there will be an announcement that the skyhammer is online, or something. i don't know what it is, what it does, or how to turn it online, nor will i ever, because i paid a wizard to lay a cantrip upon me that will kill me if i ever have to play skyhammer again.

at this point, your team will begin to complain about how they are the best player on your team, and it is unfair to be matched with untouchables such as you. the enemy team will sense this and immediately collapse upon whoever is typing. the salamander's final words will be 'noob war doesn't even hambossssssss6'. at this point, the skyhammer will again be online. you will still not be sure what it does. is it scrambling your teammate's brains? i think so. the phonebook has been making remarkably unsound choices.

after a few more minutes, the enemy team will reach 500 points (you will have somehow acquired 20, although no one on your team is sure how or will accept responsibility). the opponents will all thank you for your time and offer a few helpful tips to improve your play, which your teammates will drown out with hyphens, either unwilling or unable to accept that there is a profanity filter, or else really trying to explain the concept of subtraction.

that wraps up your first game of guild war 2 player versus player! i hope you had as much fun as i did, and join me next time, when i explain how to play pvp when the person yuo are queuing with has level 80 in pvp!

:siren::siren: Living Story :siren::siren:

Guild Wars 2 has been doing updates and plot advancement through the guise of the "Living Story". We are into the 2nd "season" now, and have added new locations, items, achievements, and introduced many poorly written and forgettable characters such as the supervillain SCARLET BRIAR and Destiny's Edge 2.0! Every 2-4 weeks there is a major update, adding new stuff and plot advancement!

First Living Story Arc Summary and Conclusion
Big spoilers here, but it's all over so who cares!
Great video recap: Youtube Video
Detailed written recap: GW2 Wiki Page

The 2nd arc/season has reached it's conclusion, after loving Scarlet awoke the weed dragon Mordremoth hidden deep under the Maguuma jungle! It's much higher quality overall than season 1, and Anet seems to have learned from their mistakes (dialogue writing notwithstanding). Also it's no longer temporary content!

:siren::siren: Important/Useful Links :siren::siren:

Official
Official Forums: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum
Wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page (Type /wiki thing_to_search_for ingame to access wiki as well!)
Patch Notes: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates
Leaderboards: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en

Unofficial
Event/World Boss Timers: http://dulfy.net/2014/04/23/event-timer/
Armor Viewer: http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery
Dulfy.net (resource for everything): http://dulfy.net/category/gw2
Dynamic Crafting Guide: http://www.gw2crafts.net
Trading Post Resource: http://www.gw2spidy.com
Build Calculator: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor
Build Resources: http://intothemists.com/, http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki
Orr Node Map: http://orrmaps.com/server/maguuma
Very useful goon Guild Mission post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3575808&perpage=40&pagenumber=698#post437035565
World Completion Guide: http://imgur.com/a/bsvcH
Fro's WvW Site (ps: Fro rules): http://wvwintel.com

And always remember...

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Anet Balance Philosophy

It's extremely important to remember that you can have fun and kick rear end as pretty much every class, and you should choose one based on what sounds the most fun, not what you think the flavour of the month might be!

:siren::siren::siren: Classes :siren::siren::siren:

Channel legendary powers to slaughter foes and unleash chaos on the battlefield with our brand new profession: The Revenant. Enter the field of battle heavily armored and equipped with the otherworldly powers of the Mists.

Rytlock is the first revenant, which probably means it will be overpowered and overplayed as all gently caress.

If the Revenant were a food, it would be cheese-stuffed ghost pepper poppers mmmmmmm

The Revenant's elite specialization is Herald

Revenant Class Forum

The Warrior is a master of weapons who relies on speed, strength, toughness, and heavy armor to survive in battle. A warrior can shrug off blow after blow to stay in the fight, all the while building up adrenaline to fuel his offense.

The Warrior is Anet's Chosen One, and can destroy an elder dragon simply by looking at it.

If the Warrior were a food, it would be a double baconator.

The Warrior's elite specialization is Berserker

Warrior Class Forum

The Guardian is a devoted fighter who calls upon powerful virtues to smite enemies and protect allies. As dangerous with a staff as he is with a mighty two-handed hammer, a true guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice his own defenses to empower his allies to achieve victory.

The Guardian is extremely valued in a group setting, and are extremely goddamn hard to kill. To counter this power, they get all their shield models ruined by the Aegis Effect.

If the Guardian were a food, it would be a club sandwich.

The Guardian's elite specialization is Dragonhunter

Guardian Class Forum

Masters of mechanical mayhem, The Engineer tinkers with explosives, gadgets, elixirs, and all manner of deployable devices. They can take control of an area by placing turrets, support their allies with alchemic weaponry, or lay waste to foes with a wide array of mines, bombs, and grenades.

Engineers are extremely fun to play with a wide variety of gadgets and makes poo poo blow up.

If the Engineer were a food, it would be a giant plate of nachos with every possible topping.

The Engineer's elite specialization is Scrapper

Engineer Class Forum

A master of stealth and surprise, The Thief is deadly in single combat—particularly when catching enemies off guard. Thieves compensate for their relatively low armor and health by being quick and evasive. They can move through the shadows, vanish into thin air, or steal items from their opponents and use them as weapons. Enemies should watch their backs, or the thief will watch it for them.

Thieves are annoying as gently caress with their fancy twirls and dodges and knives and can turn invisible as well. gently caress thieves.

If the Thief were a food, it would be giant steaming mug of human tears.

The Thief's elite specialization is Daredevil

Thief Class Forum

The Ranger is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of them all as well, relying on their keen eye, steady hand, or the power of nature itself. A master of ranged combat, the ranger is capable of striking unwitting foes from a distance with their bow.

Rangers are giant tree-huggers that smell like animals.

If the Ranger were a food, it would be a kale and turnip salad.

The Ranger's elite specialization is Druid

Ranger Class Forum
Pet Info

The Elementalist channels natural forces of destruction, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What the Elementalist lacks in physical toughness, they make up for in the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack, dropping foes from a distance before they can become a threat. Yet, despite incredible offensive potential, versatility is what makes the Elementalist truly formidable. Rather than swap weapons to adjust to new situations, the multi-faceted elementalist quickly adapts to new threats by attuning to different elements as needed. When the elementalist attunes to any of the four elements, they receive intrinsic bonuses that continually empowers them.

The Elementalist is the embodiment of pure rage as your stupid party overwrites your fire fields with light fields.

If the Elementalist were a food, it would be Lucky Charms.

The Ranger's elite specialization is Tempest

Elementalist Class Forum

The Necromancer is a practitioner of the dark arts who summons the dead, wields the power of lost souls, and literally sucks the lifeblood of the enemy. A Necromancer feeds on life force, which he can use to cheat death or bring allies back from the brink. A necromancer feeds on death and decay. Life force is the energy that a Necromancer uses to extend his own life. Using specific skills, a Necromancer builds up life force by attacking and killing enemies.

The Necromancer is still a scary class with spooky sound effects.

If the Necromancer were a food, it would be a rancid maggot-infested hunk of bread.

The Ranger's elite specialization is Reaper

Necromancer Class Forum

The Mesmer is a magical duelist who relies on deception and confusion to keep their opponent in check. Indecision is their greatest ally. Using powerful illusions to distract, they make sure they never go toe to toe with an enemy; they use their powers and tactics to set up an unfair fight. Just when you think you've figured out what the mesmer is doing, illusions begin to shatter, clones start to fade away, and you realize you've been swinging at empty air all along. It's hard to keep your eye on the real mesmer.

Mesmers are still GW2 public mass transit system.

If the Mesmer were a food, it would be those candy powder filled pixie sticks.

The Mesmer's elite specialization is Chronomancer

Mesmer Class Forum

:siren::siren::siren: Playable Races :siren::siren::siren:

(click for big)

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 7, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:siren::siren::siren: Frequently Asked Questions :siren::siren::siren:

Q: How do I play GW2?!
A:

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

hello fellow noob (that's a novice player in internet lingo, LOL (laugh out loud))! as a kindred spirit just trying to get into the immersive world of norrath albion hero city tyria, I feel like i can offer some advice on how to join the guild you'd like! which goon guild you choose is up to you, but the steps are the same!

step 1: download and install the gw2 client! this is a big one, and it took me like 5 years to figure out.
step 2: weigh the pros and cons of the two goon guilds! goon is easy to remember, but starfleet dental may pay for your character to have nice teeth, or something. i'm really not too sure.
step 3: go into the gw2 client (good thing you installed it earlier)! at the top of your screen, there will be a series of white icons. one of these will be for 'guild'! this is the one you want to click on using your LMB (left mouse button). if you cannot read, i don't think what I say here matters, but i think the icon is a bear or a lion or a castle or a compass or something. i have trouble with shapes.
step 4: search for the guild you want to join! after you have found it, message the guild leader and tell them you would like to join their guild! they will generally not know who you are or care, so see step 5.
step 5: tell the leader of the guild you want to join you found them via the Something Awful forums Guild Wars 2 thread (this selfsame thread, coincidentally oft frequented by players of the game Guild Wars 2: Guild Harder)
step 6: they will generally accept you into the guild at this point, but sometimes they won't! i recommend asking nicer, or something.
step 7: now you're in a guild! congratulations, and enjoy the immersive world! i think you have to run around the map a lot, to win the game, but i usually get distracted by fighting flags on sticks.
(except only actually do steps 1-3 because guild info is at the top of the OP for joining off-site, if you mess this up you will look like an idiot and we'll laugh at you, also send food and/or gold ingame to Arus.1482 if you read this far because I'm trying to make another loving legendary and it's too much work help pls)

Q: When should I join WvW?
A: You can join wvw starting at level 2. You are boosted to level 80 no matter your level. The main difference between you and someone else is having utility abilities. Even then, I've seen a level 2 warrior beat people down. Unlike sPVP you do not get your own set of gear, but you will find gear your level dropping. Waiting until level 30 or 80 isn't required or needed in this game.

Q: What is the point of WvW?
A: Besides fun, all WvW objectives count as a dynamic event. Defenders actually get rewarded every few minute, so the longer you hold out the more you get. You will also gain server wide benefits listed on the "B" screen. Winning in Edge of the Mists will grant bonuses to your word in the primary 4 maps! (EB plus 3 borderlands)

Q: How do I enter sPvP/eSports?
A: In the top left area of your screen, click on the "PvP" icon, which looks like two crossed swords. Then click "Go to the Heart of the Mists". From there, you can set up your build/stats/weapons, then use the Server Browser NPC to find a game.

Q: What is the Trading Post/TP, and how do I access it?
A: The TP is this game's Auction House. Hit O, or visit a Trading Post NPC in a major city. Hitting O will bring you to the Black Lion Trading Company, which is also the gem store. Trades are anonymous and autonomous: players post offers to buy or sell without having to locate a trading partner. The TP is accessible anywhere in-game, however, you must speak to a Trading Post Representative to collect items or coins.

The Trading Post has filtering options and categories (each with subcategories). Search results to be affected immediately to match the search box entry and filters selected. Equipment, skins, dyes, and miniatures can be previewed before purchasing any items.

Buying items
  • Place Order — match other current buyers or place a custom buy order. Coins will be held until a seller is found or the transaction is canceled.
  • Buy Instantly — purchase from current sell orders based on available volume.

Selling items
  • Sell Instantly — sell to current buy orders based on available demand.
  • List This Item — match other current sellers or place a custom listing. Items will be held until a buyer is found or the transaction is canceled.
  • Only items in the character's inventory are available to be listed. Items in invisible bags are hidden from the search results.
  • Selling items on the Trading Post requires additional coin fees, based on the total sale price.

Listing Fee (5%) — This nonrefundable cost covers listing and holding your items for sale. This fee has a minimum of 1 Copper coin.
Exchange Fee (10%) — After a successful trade, the item exchange fee is deducted from coins delivered to the seller.

The Transactions tab shows current and completed transactions. Current transactions can be canceled, sending the item or coins to the delivery box to be picked up (listing fees are not returned).

Q: How can I make a ton of money in GW2?
A:

Q: What the gently caress is [insert name of item/zone/character/anything here]?!
A: Type "/wiki [insert name of item/zone/character/anything here]" in the chat window ingame to open up the wiki page in your browser for that item/zone/character/anything!

Q: Tell me about the Guild Mission!!!
A: Amazing post by a goon!

:siren: More will be added as requested!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

first

e: I cannot overstate how beautiful and perfect the GOON description is

e2: I like this thread tag!!

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 20, 2013

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Don't play this game it is awful

(700 hours in 6 months :smith: )

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If the asura were a food, what would they be?

They're tofu.

They're also smaller than the jump height, so remember to spend any waiting time, for an event or a clocktower or something, practicing your vaults.

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goon Squad [GOON]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *throws old sock*

Oh Arus. Why do I love you so much. Please respond

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Don't play this game it is awful

That's all? Lightweight.

I shudder to think of how much time I've put in. :ohdear:

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Nice K/D, not.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Please add Gand's AHK songs to the OP in memoriam.

Thank you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

No mention of best legendary quip. Op sucks.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

welp

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

We have a winner. This was a competition, right? Right?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I was 2384 last check. No screenshot for proof until I get home.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

jaegerx posted:

No mention of best legendary quip. Op sucks.

It needs no mention because of how cool it is, buddy.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

In case you want to make an informed decision on how to be a special snowflake:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

New weapon combo for the new thread

It makes me feel a little cool...

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

In gw2 you can roleplay being your favorite characters, like zelda.

Paging be our guest.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kazoo posted:

(click for big)

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Kazoo posted:

It's almost like the popularity of each class is inversely proportional to how good they are which is why rangers will never get overhauled when warriors still need to be buffed.

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!
I promise I'm going to be in the next reset saturday guild mission thing. I need to creep on Arus. He'll be mine one day.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hey I stopped playing this game yesterday please list all changes since then so I know whether or not to start again. I have already reinstalled it and am waiting to click 'play' but how can I do it without goonful insight?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Hey I stopped playing this game yesterday please list all changes since then so I know whether or not to start again. I have already reinstalled it and am waiting to click 'play' but how can I do it without goonful insight?

Make an elementalist. :buddy:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BobTheJanitor posted:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

There's the wiki page rather than the answer to your question. Just load it up and play, we don't have any answers. It's a great game though, give it another try.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Warriors buffed. Missed temporary dungeon and eles were nerfed(rip gandletharpe).

Come back. It's still better than ($insert crap mmo here$).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

MooCowlian posted:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

There's the wiki page rather than the answer to your question. Just load it up and play, we don't have any answers. It's a great game though, give it another try.

Bless you and your earnestness.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I love this new thread and OP, great job Arus.

PS fat ololo

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Bless you and your earnestness.

I like how people didn't notice the obvious "I stopped playing the game YESTERDAY". That part was fun.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Is the TP down or something, I suddenly can't sell my poo poo anymore. It just doesn't load the page.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tivac posted:

I love this new thread and OP, great job Arus.

PS fat ololo

I expect my class descriptions and food comparisons to be added to Anet's official page.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Is the TP down or something, I suddenly can't sell my poo poo anymore. It just doesn't load the page.

I've been having lag/disconnects a bit today, probably related to that.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It was acting up a lot yesterday, but today seems to be fine.

If only that were the reason my things weren't selling. :smith:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Maybe you could refer people to intothemists.com for builds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

Maybe you could refer people to intothemists.com for builds.

I'd never heard of that site until now. Added.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Vencja posted:

I like how people didn't notice the obvious "I stopped playing the game YESTERDAY". That part was fun.

Why do you think I said make an elementalist :colbert:

Vencja
Feb 27, 2013

Yoink!

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Why do you think I said make an elementalist :colbert:

Because you know what's up. :)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

In gw2 you can roleplay being your favorite characters, like zelda.

Paging be our guest.

I must know what that pistol skin is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ It looks like The Anomaly, which is a focus and costs roughly a million gold, but at least doesn't look like garbage like every other focus does.

No mention of the best races (quaggans and skritt) in the OP. Worst OP.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Chumbler beat me to it, but that's an Anomaly aka the real Legendary focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Ilya/Lyss are pistols that look like that (glowy purple). They're more hazy/smokey than outright glowing, though.

• Locked thread