Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

All the player races are fairly near-human, minus I guess the cat-people Cathar and the head-tailed twi'leks. One of the reasons given was that animation's easier if everyone has the same basic body and facial structure.

I did actually check if the smuggler flirts with any particularly alien people, but no. All humans and near-humans. Guess they've got limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Well, to be fair Star Wars has always seemed quite cosmopolitan to me, at least with respect to organics (droid racism is a thing, after all). I mean, when a Mirialan and a Twi'lek can have a lovers' quarrel because one of them's been seeing a Zeltron, you tend to forget race is a thing except in the case of something that looks really out there, like the Sith or Bothans. Hell, one of the most common races in the SW universe are the Duros, and they're humanoid, not Near-Human. Odds are, if you see soem dude with weird skin colouration and strange eyes, your average citizen would pay no mind.
The Empire is explicitly racist against non-humans though (except for Sith Purebloods), and it's suggested that aliens are treated like second-class citizens in parts of the Republic as well, even ones that appear human. They sometimes address this is in the dialogue (there are a lot of "you are a credit to your race" type statements if you're playing an Imperial alien), but it's usually ignored.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The original Jedi order was entirely human. The Dark Jedi who eventually became the first Dark Lords of the Sith weren't entirely human, but most of them were (and the nonhumans died out pretty much right away due to not having anything compatible to sleep with).

Then they used Sorcery to force the Red Sith to have human or nearly-human kids. Then eventually Red Sith became rarer than humans, and being a Red Sith stopped being something contemptible and started being something the Empire appreciated (at least, in theory).

The Dark Council still has precisely one Sith Pureblood member. The others are all human and remain that way until eventually a Faleen woman (reptile-person with rape pheromones) wins a place by killing all the other contenders.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PoptartsNinja posted:

... a Faleen woman (reptile-person with rape pheromones) ...

Thanks for reminding me that this was a thing that happened in Star Wars.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

PoptartsNinja posted:

The original Jedi order was entirely human.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tho_Yor

According to this thing here, unless I'm confused by what you mean by jedi order, the Tho Yor which summoned force sensitives and migrated them to Tython where the 'Je'daii Order' was founded as a result of harrumphing and so forth, brought together *several* sentient races. If you mean the 'Jedi Order' which came out of the force wars--one of its founders, at least, was Zabrak (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ters_Sendon). There is no mention of an ethnic cleansing at that time, and the order should have been composed of "Wookiee, Selkath, Twi'lek, Miraluka, Iktotchi, Cathar, Devaronian, Noghri, Sith, Talid, Zabrak, Mirialan, Human, Sullustan, and Krevaaki species, as well as the species later known as the Koorivar." Rajivari, the original dark schism guy didn't purge his schism as part of schisming.

The ters sendon guy is actually in TOR in hologram form.

Additional fun fact: Supposedly StarKiller in the Force Unleashed games was originally planned to be a Wookie. I really wish they'd gone through with that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry, I meant "predominantly" rather than "entirely." Which makes sense since every planet in the galaxy other than a species' original homeworld seems populated entirely by humans. And even then, some species homeworlds seem to have more humans than natives (Thyferra).

Also, I may have been thinking of the Green Jedi. For reasons.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sorry, I meant "predominantly" rather than "entirely." Which makes sense since every planet in the galaxy other than a species' original homeworld seems populated entirely by humans. And even then, some species homeworlds seem to have more humans than natives (Thyferra).

Also, I may have been thinking of the Green Jedi. For reasons.

We see in The Bacta War that the humans on Thyferra are actually a very prominent minority, mostly because they're the ones who concern themselves with building modern spaceports and cities in the name of comfort while oppressing the planet's natives for use as slave labor. The natives don't give a gently caress about the first two too much, but they kind of object to the third.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #057
Stardate: Testing my mettle

Look, let’s… just skip over what happened in the spaceport, yeah? You don’t need to hear that. It’s probably not important. All that really matters is I got away and tracked down Skavak’s hangar before Corso ran out of air.

He wasn’t too happy with the delay, but it still got us inside the bay and past security. Now all we needed to do was crack open the bay doors and we could finally corner Skavak like the rat he is.

Door security was standard Imperial, which I managed to pocket a keycode for earlier. No more guards, either – Skavak must be running out of warm bodies to throw in my way.

The only problem with our brilliant ambush plan was, well…

Skavak wasn’t home.

His hangar wasn’t empty, though. Skavak had left his mechanic behind.

quote:

Vonddado Briimyo: He took a shuttle offworld to get supplies. Please don’t kill me!

Vonddado Briimyo: My name’s Vonddado Briimyo. I fix starships. Skavak kidnapped me.

Vonddado Briimyo: One minute, we were drinking Corellian whiskey at the cantina. The next, I was his prisoner!

Quinine: You got suckered by one of the galaxy’s great con artists.

I’m adding “wasted good Corellian whiskey” to the list of Skavak’s crimes.

I’m… flattered? I think?

quote:

Vonddado Briimyo: I heard you and Skavak arguing on the ship’s holo. You want the Arkanian hyperdrive? Take it!

Vonddado Briimyo: The spaceport comm channel announced there’s a shuttle leaving in a few minutes. I can be on it if I hurry.

Quinine: Give me the hyperdrive and you can go.

You might be wondering how we got the Arkanian hyperdrive back, considering how hard sneaking into the starport in the first place turned out to be. Well, it turns out the Alderaanian civil war is so civil, you can still get cargo couriered from one port to the other. Even while each side is actively trying to blow up the other’s spaceport. Crazy, huh?

Me and Corso were just discussing if we should stick around to ambush Skavak when he gets back from his supply run when we got a call from the Teraans.

Recommended for the latest tale of woe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnULRCcK7MM

quote:

Quinine: Everything was fine when I left.

Cedonia Teraan: I’m afraid events have quickly turned against us in your absence.

Lenn Teraan: Duke Baliss was offended by your visit to our former home. He’s demanding satisfaction.

Lenn Teraan: The duke is sending his son, Xin Baliss – Alderaan’s finest marksman – to challenge me to a pistol duel to the death.

This is one of the weird things about nobles. Just up and shooting someone, that’s wrong, and they’ve got guards and laws to stop you. Challenge someone to a duel over honour, though, and they’ll open the door and let you do some stretches first.

quote:

Lenn Teraan: The Organas think we deliberately sabotaged their peace-making efforts by attacking House Baliss. They’re refusing to intervene.

Cedonia Teraan: My brother never mastered the art of the blaster. He can’t possibly face Xin.

Cedonia Teraan: Unless we find a champion to take Lenn’s place, he’s as good as dead. Please, will you be our champion?

Quinine: Just how good is Xin?

Oh please, I’ve killed more than twenty five men since setting down on Alderaan. It’s going to take a little more than that to impress me.

quote:

Lenn Teraan: Maybe he just got lucky. You could break his winning streak.

Quinine: You’re about to see a real live hero in action.

Lenn Teraan: I knew we could count on you.

Easy, Lenn. It’s your sister that’s asking.

The Teraans had no hold on me, but I couldn't leave them hanging like that. They're good people, just a little in over their heads. Okay, a lot over. We gave up on ambushing Skavak and settled for keying his ship before leaving. It was a long, boring trip back from the Thul spaceport, but we managed it.

Just in time, too. By the time we made it to the Teraan’s suite, Lenn was stammering out some excuse about misplacing his blaster.

Highly recommended (no, seriously, watch this historic duel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVXkQyk-YM

Meet Xin Baliss, heir to House Baliss. With a face like that, I’d have learned to fight too.

quote:

Corso: Nice robes, pal. Sew them yourself?

Xin Baliss: Inform your simple-minded servant he should not speak. I have no compunctions about killing your “second” first.

My Alderaanian duel etiquette’s a bit rusty, so I went with how we settle things on Corellia.

So much for “duel to the death”, but I figure letting the Baliss boy limp away beaten probably does more to protect the Teraan twins than gunning him down would. Killing him would just put Duke Baliss in a vengeful mood. This way, Xin’s humiliated and his dad’s more angry at his son for getting shown up.

quote:

Lenn Teraan: Not only that – you did it with style! Where did you learn to fight like that?

Quinine: A little here, a little there. Mostly I make things up as I go.

Lenn Teraan: Ah, so you’re classically trained.

Cedonia Teraan: There are no words to express our gratitude. This reward will have to suffice.

Okay, so Xin didn’t actually shoot me, but I’ve got a few lightning burns that could use some looking at.

That’s a no on round two, then? Ah well, worth a shot.

quote:

Cedonia Teraan: My brother and I must flee House Organa. It’s only a matter of time before House Baliss makes another move against us.

Quinine: Why don’t you come with me? It’s probably safer.

Cedonia Teraan: For us, but not for you. I’m sorry, but it’s better if we go.

I didn’t argue the point, but I don’t see how them being wanted on Alderaan would bring us any heat out in the wider galaxy. You’d think a tramp starship would be the perfect hiding-place for a runaway noble, for a royal bounty hunter that’s gotta be like finding a needle in a haystack, in space.

I worry about those kids. I wasn’t gone ten minutes, and already their money-making scheme had hit a murderous snag. Hopefully they can get some good muscle on retainer, otherwise the first House they try to get their money back from will just invest it in a spacer with a blaster and fewer principles than me.

Still, fixing everybody’s problems forever isn’t my job, and my job on Alderaan’s done. With the hyperdrive from Skavak, that’s all the bits and pieces on Risha’s shopping list. Time to leave this world behind and find out what’s next. My only regret’s not getting to put Skavak down for good.

Okay, also not getting that cute Togruta’s holofrequency, but mostly the Skavak thing.

##End Log##

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Skavak just... cut and ran without the hyperdrive? That doesn't seem like him.

I'd check your new upgrade carefully for explosives.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Interlude 4: That's no moon...

Begin Recording

Back Aboard the RSS Galt

: T7 = need word in private

: T7 = important news // Jedi = remember Shafu?

: No, but someone has to deliver the exposition for those who weren't paying attention earlier and you only communicate in beeps. Shafu was that Rodian slaver you told me about. The one who changed his ways and started working for Master Zallow.

: Jedi = good memory // Shafu = disappeared after Master Zallow. T7 = curious // T7 = researching Shafu // T7 = discovered what happened.

: If Shafu was still alive, I'm sure he would have tried to contact you.

: Jedi = correct // Master Zallow = sent Shafu on secret mission // Shafu = gave his life for Republic. Master Zallow = suspected Imperial spies in Council // Master Zallow = sent Shafu to investigate. Records = confirm Shafu's ship exploded over Nar Shaddaa// Death = ruled accidental // Shafu = filed one report before accident.

: Did Shafu discover anything to confirm Master Zallow's suspicions?

: Shafu = sent report to Master Zallow // Master Zallow = never saw it // Report = deleted from official communications. T7 = trying to rebuild report from deleted files // Rebuild = complicated process // Estimated completion = unknown.

: That report could be crucial to the Republic war effort. Let me know as soon as you piece it back together.

: T7 = alert Jedi when finished.

: We had better let Var Suthra know about the Death Mark and Master Orgus.

: General, the Death Mark has been destroyed-- and I have news about Master Orgus.

: Darth Angral broadcast Orgus's execution over the HoloNet. Left the body floating in space for us to find. A Republic shuttle just recovered te remains from the edge of the Alderaan system. I'm sorry.

: You were friends a long time.

: Not many of us left from the old days. Orgus was... he was the best.

: He sacrificed himself for a purpose. Somehow he planted a tracking beacon on Angral's cruiser without the Sith realising it. Every time Angral's ship drops out of Hyperspace, we know where. Orgus got the last laugh.

: What if Angral finds the beacon Orgus planted?

: By the time he realises we can find him, it'll be too late. We'll make sure of that.

: Stand by... report coming through. Angral is on the move.

: We just picked up the tracking beacon's signal in the Uphrades system. That agriworld supplies nearly half of Coruscant's food. I'm scrambling the fleet, but you're close.

: I'll handle Angral. By the time your ships arrive, there won't be anything left.

: Angral's Dreadnaught has a slight turbolaser advantage over your gunship.

: Any damage to Uphrade's food production could cripple the Republic.

: One warship can only destroy so much.

: Tell that to Taris.

: Transmiting Uphrade's coordinates. Good Hunting.

One Hyperspace Jump later...

Video Version

: No sign of Darth Angral, but Uphrades... I saw this planet once, with Master Kiwiiks. It used to be green.

: Sensors detect minimal life signs // Uphrades = dead world.

: General, I've arrived at Uphrades. There's no sign of Angral, but the planet... see for yourself.

: Recieving your sensor readings. Stand by.

: Uphrade's atmosphere looks like it's on fire. What could have done that?

: Damage consistent with the designs recovered on Ord Mantell. The Desolator weapon.

: Angral's taken the Planet Prison and turned it into something horrific.

: The Desolator borrows technology from all our advanced warfare projects. Angral's son was quite the genius.

: Uphrades had millions of citizens... whole continents of farmlands. All that life extinguished. The scale of this... it's unthinkable.

: Getting an emergency transmission. It's faint--coming from the far side of the planet...

: Republic vessel do you copy? This is medical frigate Daybreaker. We're under attack! Imperial commandos have boarded us.Help!

: That's one of ours. The crew may know what happened here.

: Angral doesn't want any witnesses.

: That ship may have sensor readings of the Desolator. Invaluable data.

: The fleet won't be able to get here in time. You need to save that ship Hurry.

: Let's hope we can get there in time.

: Plotting an intercept course now. Strap yourselves in...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6BgicisMV4&feature=youtu.be]Video[url]

: Kira, you're with me, T7 you stay and mind the ship and let me know if Angral comes back.

: That was the last of the Imperials. You're safe now.

: Not a minute too soon. Those commandos weren't taking prisoners.

: I still can't believe what happened to Uphrades. When we arrived, an Imperial warship was attacking the planet. I've never seen anything like it.

: Uphrades was trapped inside an energy field. Some starships tried to flee, but their engines failed before they could leave the atmosphere.

: No one escaped. Every ship that tried crashed back onto the surface.

: How did your ship come under attack?

: We tried to run, but Imperial boarding pods overtook us.

: I saw Uphrades's atmosphere catch fire. Horrific destruction... Flames consumed the planet. Everything turned to smoke and ash in seconds...

: Could anyone have escaped the destruction?

: I don't see how.

*Beep* *Beep*

: Captain, look at this.... Our sensors detect faint life readings on the planet's surface--possible survivors.

: Anyone left on that planet is as good as dead.

: If we go down there we can provide food, water shelter and medicine. It's our duty.

: The energy field surrounding Uphrades will destroy your ship's engines you won't be able to leave.

: The Republic needs all its medical frigates--and we don't know what's down there.

: I'm not getting trapped on that ash-ball over a lucky herd of rontos.

: Then I'll invoke my emergency authority and assume command of this ship.

: Let me talk to this Jedi. See if there's really a chance people could be alive. It's not that I don't want to help--but I have a family to think about. This ship carries combat-grade kolto packs, battle adrenals, you name it. You convince Doctor Senessa to stand down, and i'll give you whatever you want.

: Well? what's it going to be?

: Listen to me I'm a Jedi. If there was anyone alive down there, I'd sense it. There is nothing you can do for Uphrades let it go.

: We've served together for years, doctor. Don't you trust me by now?

: You're right. I'm clutching at false hope. Excuse me...

: Here, this will unlock the ship's medstores. I'll just report them as lost during the boarding action. You did the right thing. Thank you.

Later back on board the Galt..

: The Daybreaker is secured, General. The crew witnessed what Angral did here.

: The ship's captain just transmitted sensor logs to the fleet. We've seen what we're up against. Small consolation. Angral's next attack will undoubtedly be more direct.

: You'll think he'll attack Coruscant again?

: Anything's possible. How do we defend against such careless hatred? I'll contact the Galactic Senate and put every Republic world on-- wait.... We're getting another emergency alert--from Tython. Relaying it now....

: ...under attack by Darth Angral. Launching defence fighters....Angral's battle cruiser....deploying...energy weapon...our ships can't escape Tython's atmosphere...we're trapped...

: That explains why Angral left Uphrades so quickly. He's already chosen his next target.

: Angral's going to incinerate Tython just like he did Uphrades.

: And finish what he started years ago-- the annihilation of the Jedi. The Republic fleet's in hyperspace. By the time it's redirected to Tython it'll be too late.

: The Desolator needs time to work. The Jedi may be trapped on Tython but you're not. You could board Angral's battle cruiser. Disable the weapon before it fires.

: There are other Jedi not on Tython. Send them to help me.

: I'll gather all the reinforcements I can find, but it'll take time.

: I'll use the sensor logs to find the Desolator's weak point. Contact us when you're aboard Angral's warship.

: May the Force be with you.

To be continued...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So they knew there was a planet-destroying superweapon, but they didn't reinforce the Jedi homeworld?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There are so many planet-destroying super weapons around at the moment, pretty much everywhere would have to be reinforced all the time. And drat, millions wiped out, I don't think any class has seen an attack like this yet. The Jedi knight's certainly at the center of the action.

It'd be kind of funny if R'andayn failed, Tython was destroyed, and the "warden of the Jedi order" got back from her vacation to find the heart of the order destroyed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Jedi's return to Tython is supposed to be a secret. So of course everyone in the Galaxy knows about it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Dolash posted:

There are so many planet-destroying super weapons around at the moment, pretty much everywhere would have to be reinforced all the time. And drat, millions wiped out, I don't think any class has seen an attack like this yet. The Jedi knight's certainly at the center of the action.

It'd be kind of funny if R'andayn failed, Tython was destroyed, and the "warden of the Jedi order" got back from her vacation to find the heart of the order destroyed.

I don't know the Eradicator attacks by Darth Jaedus comes pretty close. Although most of the casualties for that happen off-screen.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ferrosol posted:

I don't know the Eradicator attacks by Darth Jaedus comes pretty close. Although most of the casualties for that happen off-screen.

Also I somehow doubt you can side with Angral, blow up Tython, and have it celebrated as a holiday by the Republic (I still die laughing every time somebody mentioned "Eradication Day" in my DS Imperial Agent playthrough; you get the feeling everyone in the Empire must wear a terrified fake smile for the "celebration").

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Interlude 5: All about the Daddy Issues... Bioware, I'm shocked!

Being Continued

Aboard the RSS Galt in orbit around Tython

: General? We got a little scorched, but we're inside Angral's battle cruiser.

: Yes I knew you could do it. Now to end that Sith for good.

: Won't be that simple. The sensor logs of Angral's warship reveal he's amplified the vessels reactors. That's a little trick he learned from me, when I was interrogated by his spy on Taris. Blast his truth serums and mind probes... Disarming the Desolator weapon will necessitate overloading at least three shielded reactor relays. No simple task.

: Jedi + Kira = go to reactor relays // T7 = interface with warship computers + disrupt security protocols.

: General, doctor... my team's moving out. We'll save Tython or die trying.

: Don't even think about that. I expect us all to reach a ripe old age. Your signal's breaking up. May the--

: Angral's jamming our transmissions. He's coming for us.

: T7 = find computer access // Jedi + Kira = disable Desolator weapon + defeat Darth Angral. T7 = calculate 100 percent chance total success

: Never tell me the odds, But, thanks for the vote of confidence. Teeseven. Be careful out there.

: The Force = be with Jedi + T7 too.

: And that's the last of the reactors. Angral won't be burning Tython any time soon. Now I just need to take out the security system.

: Now it's time to go finish this. Angral's arse is mine.

Watch for the most important plot

: You will not steal my victory. Not now. I have sacrificed too much for this. I will avenge my son--on you and all the Jedi.

: The only vengeance here will be mine. Prepare to die.

: I foresaw this confrontation. I welcome it. Today I forge a new era for the Sith. One where the Jedi are finally extinct.

: Finish this Angral. I command it.

: With pleasure, my Master.

: What... what was that? I felt... the Emperor...

: You are his Child. His eyes, his ears... his weapon to command. Come, Child fight by my side. It's where you belong.

I'd rather jump out of an airlock naked.

: Fight the Emperor's control. Remember who you are.

: I feel him in my thoughts. We have to end this fast.

: If you will not serve, you will die. For Tarnis....

: Who's the daddy?

: Angral's dead-- and this battle cruiser's not far behind him.

: Disappointing. Angral was useful. This child must learn her place... and so will you.

: Leave Kira alone. If you want to fight, face me in person.

: That is unnecessary. I see futures in you. Futures I will not allow. Your future end here.

: This Child is unfinished. Weak. I will make her strong. Now you will die. Even if my Child must die with you.

: No.... I won't kill for you!

: You're resisting him. Keep it up!

: The dark side has no power over me. I am a Jedi! He's gone. I won. I'm finally free.

: what was it like under the Emperor's control? Were you aware of our duel?

: All of it. I was in my head the whole time, like a prisoner. This ship's coming down on top of us. Let's get out of here.

Back onboard the Galt

: Thank the Force you're alive. When I saw Angral's battle cruiser explode, I feared the worst.

: Haven't you learned? I'm more powerful than anything the Sith can throw at me.

: Please come to the surface. Bring your Padawan to the Council chambers. We all have much to discuss.

Later on Tython...

Watch for the most underwhelming victory party yet

: Welcome home. The Jedi owe you a debt of gratitude we can never repay.

: If Jedi wore Republic medals, your robe would be covered in them.

: I only wish Master Orgus could share in this victory.

: Darth Angral paid dearly for killing Master Orgus.

: Angral earned his fate. No one will mourn his passing.

: We've lost one of our noblest Masters, but in his place stands a Jedi without equal. And you, Padawan... I knew you'd remain true to us.

: I see no reason why we shouldn't make Kira a full-fledged Jedi Knight.

: I agree. My troubled former Padawan has matured into a fine Jedi.

: As leader of this Council, it's my pleasure to promote Kira Carsen to the rank of Jedi Knight.

: You mean it?

: It seems only fair--you did help save the galaxy.

: So this is what it feels like, being respectable.

: The danger to Tython is over, but wer're getting fresh reports of hostilities all over the galaxy. Another war with the Empire seems inevitable.

: Darth Angral was the spark that lit the flame. Even in failure, he inspired the Sith to violence.

: But he also forged our greatest weapon against the darkness. The Force has shown me wat lies ahead. The futures of many rest on your actions. You will decide the fat of the Jedi... the Republic... the galaxy.

: I'll defend the Republic to my dying breath. I mean someone has to and if I leave it to you guys it'll end up broken and on fire.

: May the Force be with you--with all of us.

:Kira it's time to celebrate, We're going to Disney world Hologram Fun World

End of Act One.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nobody gonna talk about Kira getting possessed by the Emperor? That's all fine and settled now? Okay, I guess it's no big deal.

Dang, after all that work Angral just kind of gets punked. He wasn't much of a match for R'andayn, it seems.

It's also kind of funny to imagine the council sitting around in that room while the Jedi Order is constantly almost destroyed, handing out praise to various up-and-comers as they save the day.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Dolash posted:

Dang, after all that work Angral just kind of gets punked. He wasn't much of a match for R'andayn, it seems.

That was actually the 6th attempt I'm not very good at this game

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not you, Jedi Guardians have it rough. You don't have the DPS of the Sentinel (two sabers), you don't get your healer early like the Juggernaut does, and you don't have all of the defensive tools that'll turn story bosses into joke later on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #058
Stardate: Held up

Things’ve started moving quick around here, but I’ve got a minute to jot some of it down. Turns out we’re not getting away so clean as I’d hoped.

First thing’s first, soon as we took off of Alderaan I went to see how Bowdaar’d been doing while stuck guarding the ship.

quote:

Bowdaar: On Kashyyyk, we spoke of “life debts”.

Bowdaar: A Wookie whose life was saved, owed his service for life.

Quinine: That sounds like slavery. Or, worse, marriage. No thanks.

Bowdaar: I have been a slave. I would not do it again for any debt.

Good to hear Bowdaar doesn’t take all that “code of honor” stuff too seriously. Who knows what a Wookie who’s finally got out from slavery might do if he started thinking he was indebted for life to somebody.

quote:

Quinine: Is there something you need to be happier here?

Bowdaar: You serve the Republic. You fill your pockets. Both are good.

Bowdaar: But there is more. Others suffer while I am free.

Looks like now that Bowdaar’s had the chance to enjoy his freedom, he’s come up on the same problem the rest of us have to deal with. It’s a bad old galaxy out there, hard to ignore when people are getting exploited. I don’t think we’ll run out of people for Bowdaar to help so long as the Empire’s still out there.

After that, I figured it was as good a time as any to see how Corso was getting along. Stretching his legs and shooting his blaster on Alderaan might’ve been a good way to brighten his day, but some wounds don't heal that quickly.

quote:

Corso: Can’t stop thinking about Rona.

Corso: My folks always said she’d come to no good in the big city, and there she is… a stooge for some spice smugglers.

Quinine: I think you got through to her. She won’t be there forever.

Corso: I wish I believed that.

Well, if there’s anything that’ll keep you locked in a funk, it’s family. Maybe Corso just needs a little longer to stew. Or maybe he just needs to keep getting out there and shooting up the bad guys, we’ll see.

quote:

Corso: That’s what I get for trying to see the best in folks.

Quinine: If there’s any good in this galaxy, you’ll be the one to find it.

Corso: I won’t stop giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

Good to see he’s not losing his fighting spirit, and not just because he does so much of the fighting around here. I’m gonna need him in a minute.

Now, it was about time I checked in on how Risha was getting along with the new hyperdrive. I figured with the last deal done it’d be all-ahead full to… wherever Nok’s fortune is, but something unexpected came up.

Recommended for the unexpected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSLAEA_uPk

quote:

Quinine: How about a kiss for coming back alive?

Risha: I’m excited to see you… but not that excited.

Risha: I have to hand it to you, Captain. You not only took care of business, but you made Skavak look like a fool.

Quinine: I just wish we could’ve settled this once and for all.

I’ve gotta admit, we’ve had a good run so far. Even if Skavak’s still alive, working with Risha’s been one of my better decisions.

quote:

Risha: I’m glad we’re done here. It’s funny… I can’t help thinking Nok Drayen would’ve hated this world as much as I do.

Risha: Legend is, Nok was descended from royal blood. They say that’s how he got to be “King of the Galactic Underworld” before he died.

Not that I wasn’t looking forward to another exciting lecture from Risha, but I thought I’d take my chance to ask about something that’s been bugging me about her stories.

quote:

Quinine: How did this guy end up wormfood?

Risha: Every spacer, pirate and gangster from Abregado-rae to Yavin has a theory.

Risha: Some say he was shot in the back by a Rodian. Anyone who actually knew Nok will tell you that’s ridiculous.

Or anyone who knows Rodians. Those guys can’t shoot straight to save their lives.

quote:

Risha: Others say he was killed by his most trusted lieutenant. A few say he died in his sleep.

Quinine: What do you think happened to him?

Can’t believe she clams up just when the story was maybe getting good. There’s no way a crime buff like Risha doesn’t have a theory of her own. Maybe she’s saving it for the book.

quote:

Risha: It won’t take long to wire this Arkanian hyperdrive to the ship’s engines, and that anti-radiation shield will be a snap to build.

Quinine: Is there some way I can pitch in?

Risha: Like hold my hydrospanner? No, Captain, but thanks for offering.

Risha: I’ll have those upgrades online in – wait, hang on – oh, this ought to be good.

Heads up – it is.

quote:

Skavak: Just fantasizing about killing you and your friend, sweetheart. Want to hear the details?

Quinine: In my fantasy, you burn alive.

Skavak: Ha! My plan involves synthrope, a jar of dioche sauce, and a starving colony of kretch insects.

Risha: Haven’t you learned yet, Skavak? Cheaters never win. We’re leaving Alderaan with all the prizes, and you’re… well, stuck being you.

I almost don’t want to kill him, I think I’d miss this too much.

We were just about to get back to work when Risha’s comm went off again.

quote:

Risha: You know that old saying, “it never rains, but it pours”? Today, it’s pouring holo-calls. I’m getting one from Tatooine, of all places.

quote:

Juran Reb: Someone took Audila. Said I’ll get her back in pieces if you don’t come. Pieces! You have to help me!

That dropped the temperature in the ship by about five degrees. I could guess where this was going.

quote:

Quinine: This guy a friend of yours?

Risha: I’ve known him and his wife since we were kids.

Risha: Juran, I won’t let anything happen to you or Audila. Calm down and start over.

Juran Reb: When I came home from work, Audila was gone. There was a man waiting for me.

Juran Reb: He said unless you want to be responsible for Audila’s death, you’ll meet him at an old Czerka mining complex in the Cheenee rift.

It’s not Skavak, or else he’d have bragged about it when he called. They’ve targeted Risha’s childhood friends, which means they’ve got to know her well and be willing to go that extra mile to screw with her. Also, they’re clearly sick bastards. Beyond that, no clue.

If you couldn’t tell, Risha’s not trying to strike a deal or sell me on the idea, she’s asking for help. Probably shows how serious the situation is – I figure the respectful thing to do is not draw attention to it.

quote:

Quinine: I like your sentimental side.

Risha: Enjoy it while it lasts, I only show it once a year.

Risha: Juran, stay on this holo-frequency. Let me get in touch with some contacts. We have to play this smart…

We reconvened on the big ship holo once Risha’d had a chance to hit up her contacts and come up with a plan. Gotta give her credit, when her heart’s in the work she gets things done in record time.

quote:

Quinine: You know what always improves the odds? Cheating.

Risha: I already factored in cheating. You should’ve seen the original odds.

Risha: Cheenee Rift has more holes in it than a chunk of Byss cheese. The Czerka mining complex sits over a network of caverns.

Assuming it hasn’t collapsed, or the kidnappers haven’t rigged it to blow, but I guess that’s where that fifty-fifty comes from.

quote:

Juran Reb: And then what? That man will kill Audila if we try anything.

Risha: I’ll keep this mysterious kidnapper distracted by surrendering to him while my friend sneaks up behind.

Corso’s not wrong, Risha’s sticking her neck way, way out on this one, but it’s her decision. Best to keep it funny.

quote:

Quinine: Don’t worry about Risha. She knows a real live hero.

Risha: Too bad he wasn’t available.

Juran Reb: What can I do to help?

Risha: Nothing. I’m not explaining to Audila how I got you killed. Just wait outside and be ready to give her a kiss.

Don’t think I didn’t notice Risha never tried to explain who the kidnappers are or what they could want. She didn’t seem confused or surprised, though, which means she probably knows the answer. Has she got debts that came due? Does it have something to do with the treasure? What if Nok’s old crew is trying to keep her from it? Hell, what if it’s Nok himself? Nobody knows if he’s dead, right?

Not much point in wondering. Need to focus on one thing at a time.

So that’s where we stand. That new hyperdrive got us to Tatooine in record time – just enough to catch up on some sleep and arm up for the trouble ahead. The plan has me and Bowdaar sneaking in through the chute while Corso escorts Risha to the meeting then covers our escape. Everything goes right, we walk out of there with Audila and some answers. Anything goes wrong… well, all good partnerships have to end sometime.

##End Log##

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Congrats on finishing act 1 Ferrosol!

I think R'andayn's confrontation is the first time the Emperor has shown up in any story so far, even if it is by proxy. For the Ultimate Evil Lord of Evil, he's awfully lazy.

Dolash posted:

Or anyone who knows Rodians. Those guys can’t shoot straight to save their lives.
Lucas! :argh:

Inferior fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 23, 2013

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dolash posted:

Quinine: Don’t worry about Risha. She knows a real live hero.

Risha: Too bad he wasn’t available.

:allears: For all the nonsensical plots and clunky writing there is in TOR I do think Bioware hit some of the notes they were looking for pretty well. The Smuggler banter is a good example as is a lot of the Jedi Knight plot, at least if you're going for maximum selfless heroism. Just don't expect nuance...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Inferior posted:

Congrats on finishing act 1 Ferrosol!

I think R'andayn's confrontation is the first time the Emperor has shown up in any story so far, even if it is by proxy. For the Ultimate Evil Lord of Evil, he's awfully lazy.

Either that, or he's busy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm surprised The Emperor was able to exert himself that much. For that long.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't be surprised to find if Skavak set this up as sort of a fire-and-forget thing. He didn't know when it was going to go off, and you never want to get caught gloating too late.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, I've got a question for you all. I originally planned to put off the act 1 finale until I got my computer back so that I could shoot it with something other than the lowest possible graphics settings. Originally I planned to do the Nar Shaddaa bonus series as some padding, since it's pretty fluffy and doesn't impact much. I've got my computer back ahead of schedule, though, and now can't decide how best to proceed.

Should I skip the bonus series for now and focus on the main plot, then do it after? Continue as planned and do the bonus series before the act 1 finale? Maybe I could put it up elsewhere and link it as a skippable "side story" in case anyone's interested and carry on with the main plot?

Normally this is the sort of decision I'd make myself, but for some reason I really can't decide which is the best approach and would appreciate some input.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I reckon you should put the Nar Shaddaa stuff aside for now. You never know if something's going to come up that'll put you behind schedule again for a while, and you can use it then to keep the updates coming while you deal with whatever's keeping you from playing.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Skip it. The main plot's more interesting.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #059
Stardate: Resuming course

We touched down in Anchorhead. This kidnapper and his gang were holing up just outside in the Jundland wastes, waiting for Risha. Not exactly a happy landing.

Can’t say I was glad to come back to Tatooine anyway. Didn’t even have time to change, and the heat was a killer. Under the circumstances, complaining about it out loud seemed in bad taste.

We didn’t have any time to waste. Risha, Juran and Corso had gone on ahead. Anything slow us down and we’d probably only get there in time to bury the bodies.

Finding the old, abandoned mine would’ve been impossible without Risha’s directions. A hidey-hole in the middle of endless desert – the perfect place for an ambush without any witnesses.

It didn’t take us long to figure out why Czerka never closed off the last tunnel, or possibly who chased them off in the first place.

We managed to make it to the meeting just in time. Whoever these guys were, they hadn’t made much of an effort to cover the perimeter. Me and Bowdaar managed to sneak all the way up behind them and listen in on the exchange.

Recommended for the fifty-fifty chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GL4W05ddM

quote:

Risha: There’s nothing simple about me.

quote:

Audila: Risha, what are you doing here?

Risha: Let her go, and you can do whatever you want with me.

Assassin Leader: Unfortunately for your Togruta friend, I’m to leave no witnesses. Besides, this planet offers precious little else in the way of entertainment.

That’s about my limit for small-talk with psychos.

quote:

Assassin leader: You were instructed to come alone, Risha. I don’t know how this fool slipped past our perimeter, but he won’t save you.

Risha: This fool is the best shot in the galaxy. How good are you?

Asassin Leader: I swore to my liege you would die here – and I keep my oaths.

Quinine: What’s all this about a liege?

Would’ve been a little too easy if he’d spilled the beans right there, huh?

quote:

Assassin Leader: Kill them!

The two thugs with the man in the iron mask were just cantina trash, probably bought for a handful of credits and taken out with one clean hit.

The boss, though, he was a trained killer and he hit back hard. He’d bought nondescript, functional gear to cover his identity that deflected or soaked just about everything I threw at him. Pound for pound, he was the better fighter.

Good thing a Wookie adds a few pounds, then.

Recommended for some non-answers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTQHsonU3xQ

quote:

Risha: It… doesn’t matter. I’m sorry for what happened, but it’s over.

Audila: You’re sorry? He held me prisoner for days, threatened to kill me, and you’re sorry?

For a working stiff with even less of a clue about what’s going on than me, it speaks well of Juran that he head blaster fire and ran toward it.

quote:

Quinine: You thought wrong. Show her how happy you are to see her.

Juran Reb: I’m never letting you out of my sight again.

Just a little thing I noticed, Risha turned away when her two old friends locked lips. There’s something going on there, I think. Don’t know what.

quote:

Audila: I’m alright, Juran – but I don’t want to see Risha again. We’re done.

Risha: I just risked my life for you.

Quinine: She wouldn’t keep a secret without good reason, Audila.

Risha: I promise I’ll explain everything to you, someday. Have I ever let you down?

Well, not in so many words, but Risha could use the backup.

quote:

Audila: We’ve been through a lot, that’s what made this so horrible.

Audila: I need to get off this stinking planet – get a bit of distance – think…

Risha: Here, take these credits. They’ll get you off of Tatooine. Help you start over someplace better.

Audila: I’ll want that explanation someday, Risha. I’ll let you know where to find us.

Corso reported an all-clear from the mine entrance, so Audila and Juran left by the front entrance. Risha had us hang back a moment until they were clear.

quote:

Risha: Thanks for taking care of these scum, Captain. The galaxy is a better place without them.

Quinine: Are you gonna be alright?

Risha: I’ll be fine. I’m always fine.

No surer way of convincing people you’re not fine.

Risha’s tough and cold, but even solid ice can crack. I don’t intend to go snooping where she doesn’t want me to, she’s got enough to deal with as is. Here’s hoping the next problem from her past we run into isn’t something I can’t just blast.

We ditched Tatooine and made for more civilized space. Not that much more civilized, though, since Risha had one more delivery for us.

Can you tell I’m not too pleased about heading back to that Hutt-hole?

Nothing for it, I guess. I still don’t know who those assassins were, and I doubt I’ll find out any time soon. At least being on Nar Shaddaa will put me in a bad enough mood to forget about it for a while.

Who the hell is this “His Majesty” guy?

##End Log##

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I don't know if they've moved it since but near launch-ish when I first did this mission on my Smuggler the cave where the assassins were was squarely in Imperial territory. Normally this would't really matter, especially since I was a Scoundrel with Stealth, but unlike the Republic outpost in the Dune Sea the Imperial outpost completely blocks the path to the rest of the planet. (The Republic one is actually further in the Dune Sea area and you don't have to go anywhere near it to get to the Republic areas.) And of course there are max level guards stationed everywhere throughout.

The only other way through was a "secret" cave tunnel that doesn't show up on any maps and not in the most obvious spot. So that was mission was fun.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Skavak, you know that if you steal a crown that doesn't just make you a king, right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Glazius posted:

Skavak, you know that if you steal a crown that doesn't just make you a king, right?

This is a universe where you can be elected into royalty at 14. Skavak might know something we don't (but Risha sure does)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #060
Stardate: Go-time on the bleeding edge

Haven’t updated my log in a bit. Got a little too tied up in some side business on Nar Shaddaa, but while I was there I got hit with a bombshell so big I’ve gotta scratch it down now in case I don’t have the chance later.

So, when I left off we were on our way back to Nar Shaddaa for Risha’s last job. Sure enough, we get there in good time thanks to the Arkanian hyperdrive and touch down. Risha took me aside to go over the details and wax nostalgic about our trip so far.

quote:

Quinine: I can do lots of amazing things for you, if you’ll let me.

Risha: You’re also not easily discouraged.

Risha: No one has ever come as close to finding Nok Drayen’s riches as we are now.

Risha: How will you spend all that reward when you finally get it?

The real answer – paying back what I owe – doesn’t make for fun conversation, so I figured I’d go big.

Bowdaar might like the company, but the damp Wookie smell would drive Corso nuts.

quote:

Risha: What you lack in practicality, you make up in style.

Risha: Your last job is taking the man in carbonite to these coordinates. It’s a restricted area. Only us and the buyer will be there.

Risha: That’s right, I’ll help you negotiate this deal personally. But don’t worry – I’m sure you’ll do most of the talking.

Quinine: We’re finally teaming up, huh? Interesting.

To most people, this sorta setup would scream “double-cross”. After all we’d been through, though, I figured Risha deserved the benefit of the doubt.

quote:

Risha: I’ll run ahead and make sure everything’s in place. Meet me there with our friend in the carbonite.

Risha: Use this access card to enter the restricted area. I’ll see you at the delivery point.

You know, I never really thought about this big slab of carbonite Risha was hauling around. I just figured it was some creepy wall art. Knowing I’ve had an extra passenger onboard this whole time gives me the creeps – especially once I found out who it was.

It actually took Risha a while to get the ‘deal’ set up on her end, so me and Corso went looking for work. I don’t have time to write what happened down now, but suffice to say it involved more of the Empire’s dirty laundry, another friendly chat with Bareesh, and a very grateful Republic ambassador.

All of that’s for later, though. You just need to know that when Risha called to let me know the iceman was cometh, I got over to her secret hideout pronto.

Extremely highly recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgCnAJwGLeM

quote:

Quinine: What is this place?

Risha: A private medical facility – so private, it’s only ever served one patient.

Risha: Doctor Chelah, let’s introduce the captain to the man in carbonite. Begin the procedure.

Doctor Chelah: Initiating carbon thawing and resuscitation. You may wish to shield your eyes…

Sure enough, there was a bright flash when the carbonite lit up.

When our eyes cleared, the man in the ice had fallen to his knees – and he was breathing.

quote:

Doctor Chelah: Vital signs are normal. He is regaining consciousness.

Don’t ask me how, but as soon as I laid eyes on that face I knew who we’d just brought back to the land of the living.

quote:

Risha: Ten years. I’m sorry it took so long, but I finally have everything you told me to find.

Nok Drayen: Come closer, Risha. Let me see you.

Risha: I’m different, now.

Nok Drayen: Not that little girl constantly underfoot. Now you’re my heir… my legacy.

Well I’ll be damned! I can’t believe I never put it together – Nok Drayen was alive the whole time, and standing three feet away from me while Risha told me about his adventures and his lost fortune! Needless to say, my rear end-covering started immediately.

quote:

Quinine: I never believed you were really dead, Nok.

Nok Drayen: Then my daughter wasn’t doing her job properly.

Risha: Sorry I wasn’t completely honest, Captain.

Risha: I promised father when he entered Doctor Chelah’s hibernation treatment I’d never tell anyone the truth.

If Nok’s been frozen since Risha was a little girl, she’s probably had plenty of practice. If she hadn’t been careful, she might’ve told somebody like Skavak, which would’ve ended with her father’s slab going on sale to the highest bidder – probably with Risha thrown in as a bonus.

quote:

Nok Drayen: Trust is a vice for the weak. I learned that the hard way.

Nok Drayen: Ten years ago, one of my lieutenants deliberately infected me with a disease. It’s deadly, incurable – and eating me alive.

Quinine: You replaced the infected parts with all that machinery, right?

Nok Drayen: I’ve done everything to stop this disease, but it’s never been enough. Soon, the illness will consume my vital organs.

Quinine: Rumor is, Jedi can heal anything.

Well, there goes your introduction to my Jedi friends, you ruthless bastard. This’d probably be a bigger problem if he wasn’t already dying horribly.

quote:

Risha: I lied about my father, Captain, but not his lost fortune. That’s real – and thanks to all those starship upgrades, it’s yours.

Risha: You have the only starship in the galaxy equipped to travel where the fortune was lost. No one else can reach it.

Nok Drayen: There is a region of space beyond the Outer Rim called the Long Shadow. There are no stars, no light, no life.

Nok Drayen: Just a derelict starship drifting into a massive black hole. My fortune waits for you there.

Not that I’m afraid or anything, just… yeah, I can see why Risha left out some of the details.

quote:

Nok Drayen: Few spacers have seen the Long Shadow and survived. They describe it as a vast darkness slowly consuming the galaxy.

Nok Drayen: I’ll give you the coordinates to the derelict vessel. You’ll fly into the long shadow and board it.

Nok Drayen: Retrieve the vessel’s reliquary and bring it here. Risha will take a single item. The rest is yours.

Quinine: Tell me about this “single item” Risha gets.

When the devil smiles, I shiver. You don’t need to tell me there’s more to that “simple ornament” than he wants to admit, what could be worth staking his life and legacy on?

quote:

Nok Drayen: My daughter will stay here. I have things to tell her, and my time grows short.

Risha: Be careful out there. I’ve gotten used to seeing you.

Quinine: You ready for the ride of your life, farm boy?

Well at least somebody’s excited.

And, well, that’s it.

We turned right back around and set off for Nok Drayen’s lost treasure-ship. We’re coming up on it right now, and the Miel Muwn is straining for all she’s worth. The radiation shield is taking a pounding from the direction of that massive black hole, the new hyperdrive’s the only reason we didn’t smash into its huge mass shadow, the engine’s red-lining to keep us on a stable trajectory without getting sucked out of the galaxy and the sensor array can only just make out the treasure ship’s profile against all the interference.

So, this is it. We’re planning on flying aboard soon as we can find a hangar, grabbing the treasure, and getting the hell out. Don’t know what we’re expecting to find protecting it, or even what the treasure’s supposed to be, but we’ve come too far to turn back now. If something goes wrong… well, this won’t be one of my regrets.

Wonder what advice the captain would have if he could see me now?

Wish us luck.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 28, 2013

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Well I did another thing. Should probably do them more often than every three months when I get a bit ahead of where I try to be in relation to the rest of the thread.

Communist Episode 2: Nothing to lose but our chains expensive superweapons

: Remember comrades anyone could be a wrecker and agent of the bourgeoisie imperialists.Even on the capital of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics

: Now roll the Propaganda .

^^Strangely I've always enjoyed the smuggler story even though it's endgame is kind of low stakes compared to the rest of the Republic classes. I mean your essentially just doing a space treasure hunt compared to single handedly saving the Jedi Order [Knight and Consular] or hunting down some of the worst traitors in Republic history [Trooper], But it somehow manages to be entertaining. Also say what you will about biowares writing in the rest of the game In Skavik they have a really nasty villain that's been well set up the whole time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Another fun alternate run! Good job Ferrosol.

Also, check your inboxes my fellow Republic LPers, we've got business to discuss.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I remember when I played through that scene being disappointed in the reveal of Risha and Nok's relationship; Risha had seemed like quite a cool criminal schemer on her own, and finding out she was just following Nok's plan cheapened that.

It also made all those conversations where she spoke about Nok's awesomeness a lot sadder in retrospect.

Dolash posted:

Nok Drayen: Few spacers have seen the Long Shadow and survived. They describe it as a vast darkness slowly consuming the galaxy.
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Inferior posted:

I remember when I played through that scene being disappointed in the reveal of Risha and Nok's relationship; Risha had seemed like quite a cool criminal schemer on her own, and finding out she was just following Nok's plan cheapened that.

It also made all those conversations where she spoke about Nok's awesomeness a lot sadder in retrospect.

I'll admit, Bioware reaching for the Daddy Issues is more than a tad overdone, but I thought it gave some interesting depth to the character and recast the treasure hunt as a personal struggle. Any old treasure hunter can go after a pot of gold because it's shiny and they're clever, but Risha having a personal stake in the treasure hunt from childhood added some drama.

Your mileage may vary, I suppose. We've still got a few scenes left.

quote:

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Now see, that line just made me think "few spacers, maybe, but surely plenty of astronomers?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know if there's actually a betrayal coming or not, but they sure as hell are setting one up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #061
Stardate: Curtain call

Take your time with this one. Maybe pour yourself a drink, I know I have. This is one for the record books.

So for those who weren't following along too close, we'd just pulled up alongside the lost treasure ship of the famous (and less dead than expected) galactic kingpin Nok Drayen.

This close to the Long Shadow at the edge of the galaxy, we had maybe a few minutes before it and us got pulled in too far to get back out again. Talk about your nick of time.

The plan was pretty simple – sensors showed a special, shielded compartment near the middle of the ship. Good money said that was the reliquary. Corso and I would blitz toward it, blast anything that got in our way, grab whatever we could find and run back. Bowdaar would keep the ship's engines hot, watch the sensors for trouble and cover us with the Miel Muwn's guns if we came running back with something on our tail.

What could go wrong, right?

Read on.

quote:

Corso: I'm thinking we should make this quick, Captain.

Quinine: Let's find our treasure and get out of here.

Seriously, how perfect is our timing? Risha's been after this treasure ship for ten years, and it's been out here over a century (do you know that yet? Spoiler alert, I guess). It chooses now to reach the point of no return?

The crew was long dead, but there were plenty of droids around doing maintenance on the ship and each other. The workers ignored us.

The security droids, on the other hand, were none too glad to see us.

They didn't pose much trouble for a couple of heavily armed trouble-makers like ourselves, at least not until we broke into the shielded compartment and found the reliquary. Then things got interesting.

Recommended for a family history lesson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_RTjFQT0MA

The Drayens aren't just criminal masterminds, they're royalty! Okay, so that's about the same thing, but a higher class of criminal for sure. Suddenly this whole crazy treasure hunt is starting to make a bit more sense.

quote:

King Arak Drayen the Third: The wealth of Dubrillion will not fall into the hands of my enemies. Instead, I will remove it from their reach.

King Arak Drayen the Third: My Royal Executioner droid will sabotage this vessel's hyperdrive and exterminate you, the crew, to ensure there is no rescue.

Why do I get the feeling Nok wouldn't shed too many tears over his ancestor's behavior? Then again, it's Risha I'll have to worry about.

quote:

Royal Executioner: Royal edict playback complete. Initiating execution protocols.

Quinine: Stand down, droid. Your ruler sent me.

Royal Executioner: Internal chrono estimates King Arak Drayen the Third has been deceased one hundred and six years. Your statement is unlikely.

Corso: I knew this conversation was gonna end badly...

Figures Arak didn't bother putting in a way for his own family to retrieve the treasure. Or if he did, Nok didn't bother mentioning it. Both sound likely.

Well, we'd tried to be reasonable.

The Royal Executioner was a hell of a droid. If I was a terrified servant it probably wouldn't splattered me into a fine, red mist.

I'm not, though, and a hundred years is a long time to get rusty. Taking revenge on a droid doesn't really do much for me, but hopefully this'll be a bit of payback for all those poor nobodies Arak killed.

The ship started making uncomfortable crunching noises as some of the forward compartments buckled near the event horizon. The reliquary was full of valuable-looking old junk that we didn't have time to loot, but a specially-locked chest suspended in the middle looked like the most important thing to take back with us. I'm really hoping when we open the thing it's not just a decoy, because it's gonna be hard to go back for the rest of it now.

The whole ship was rocking something awful as systems started failing. We took off for the hangar fast as we could while the droids wandered aimlessly.

Finally, we see the hangar up ahead. Home safe, right? Weeeeell, not quite. Guess what happens. Go ahead, guess, I'll wait.

The Most Recommended
No really, watch this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ymlIb1AqGY

quote:

Quinine: I'm only surprised you had the guts to face me in person.

Skavak: Let's say you've earned my personal attention.

Skavak: See, I've always believed if you can't beat 'em, join 'em... and then beat 'em. So I stowed away back on Nar Shaddaa.

Skavak, Nok Drayen, how many more stowaways are gonna turn up on my ship?

quote:

Quinine: I don't need Bowdaar to kill you.

Corso: Skavak, I want my BlasTech ALT-25 back. I want my Torchy.

Skavak: You have a real single-minded devotion to your toys. It's gonna get you killed.

The one point of common ground that Skavak and I will forever share is that nobody cares about your drat blaster, Corso.

Now what did he mean there? Did he want to split the treasure? Let bygones be bygones? Cut Risha out of the deal? Or maybe he just meant if I gave up the prize he might let me live?

I'll never know. I wanted to kill him too much.

Skavak didn't wait around for another round of witty banter. His shot from the hip grazed my calf, which is still a little tender.

The galaxy was too small for the two of us, even when both of us were minutes away from getting sucked out of it. Figures we should settle up now, at the end of the journey.

Skavak's no slouch. A cowardly backstabber, sure, but wouldn't have gotten this far if he couldn't win a fight when he needed to. Thing is, chasing Skavak across the galaxy has given me plenty of time to go over this battle in my head, and plenty of reasons to want to win it.

This one was for Viidu.

And this one was for Miel Muwn.

And this one? Just for me.

He was a tough old bastard, but not invincible. The buckshot put him down for good. Didn't even have time for a last word.

It's funny, seeing him dead on the floor like that almost made me nostalgic. I've never wanted to kill anyone as much as I've wanted Skavak dead, even the guy who blew off half my face on Duro.

It's not just for what he did, although that's plenty of reason, but also for who he was. He was everything bad a spacer could be, every wrong choice I could've made since the day I left the army and struck out on my own. In another life, I'd be his partner in crime.

Getting eaten by a black hole is better than he deserves. Good riddance.

We woke up Bowdaar (who's fine, if embarrassed) and disengaged from Arak Drayen's lost treasure ship right before it got pulled past the event horizon. It took every ounce of engine power left in the Miel Muwn, but we managed to break free from the Long Shadow's grip and jump to safer space.

And that's how we stole the Lost Treasure of Dubrillion and finally threw Skavak off the edge of the galaxy. Writing this log (and drinking the ship's last bottle of Corellian whiskey) has helped take the edge off the adrenaline. I better rest up while I can, because tomorrow we find out if all our effort paid off.

Looking at the one measly chest we managed to grab before it all got sucked into a singularity, I'm guessing... maybe?

##End Log##

Farewell Skavak, you son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I gotta give this to Old Republic, while some of the stories eventually falter later on (Bounty Hunter I'm looking at you) I can't think of any of the Chapter 1 storylines for the classes that didn't end interestingly. The intergalactic stakes for the Smuggler may be low overall (at least as far as I've played thus far), but taking down Skavak is one of the most satisfying of all of those storylines though. Though I'm jealous (assuming it's real) of the tagline I've seen by somebody on the official forums that's a screenshot of the combat log saying "Skavak defeated by Dirty Kick (X damage)"; now THAT'S the perfect capstone to end things on :).

Oh, and for disturbing Bioware plotlines, apparently the female smuggler can offer to sleep with Skavak or something here (there was a Flirt option anyway). I have no idea if it's some sort of "trick him and shoot him" line or if it goes all the way into just wrong territory since I bantered a bit then shot the bastard instead, but... yeah, just wrong.

• Locked thread