Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Iron Lung posted:

This sounds terrifying (for your junk) but I'd love a recipe for the chorizo (not involving your junk).

I will look for it this weekend. It was really simple and tasted great. I made it because it seemed silly to buy it in casings only to have to squeeze it out to cook it. Sadly I missed the window this summer to buy a bushel of hatches to make some with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Phummus posted:

So I found this:

I like the philosophy behind some of these old remedies. "These are all good things so they must be good for you and if you combine them all that must multiply their effect!"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Phummus posted:

So I found this:

You left IRC before I could link it, but I sort of transcribed it in case anyone couldn't read this and really needed to remedy their decay'd spirits.

quote:

Take Burrage flowers, Bugloss flowers, the flowers of Liliam Conualium & Cowslip flowers of each on handfull allso of sage flowers, Rosemary flowers + Betony flowers of each halfe a handful let all these be gathered in their several seasons for they are not to be had all at one time but take ye first that comes & let them be steeped in very good spirit of wine distilled from all slime in one or two glases till all may be had & let them stand ten days after ye last is in. But always very close stopped also when Lavender comes stripe of ye fair heds ye quantity of two pound & put them into a large gallon glass & pour upon them as much of ye like spirit of wine as before as will cover them & let them stand closed stopped 24 days in the sun or in some warme place with the other glasses which done take the Lavender with his spirit & distill it in a Limbeck by it selfe then, take ye water you extract & ptu in with all ye former flowers & spirits together in a Limbeck & put there with these things following of Balm, motherwort, bay-leaves, spike:neard the leaves of flowers of Orange trees if they may be had of each one ounce cut or shred severally of yellow Peels of Citron dryed or else of Lemon peels & of Pioncy seeds hulled of each six drams of Cinamon, nuttmegs, Cardamoms, Puckbies & yellow sanders. Of each halfe an ounce being all made in powders of Lignum aloes one dram in powder of Jujubes new & good the stones taken out & cut small half a pound all which being well mingled together in ye Limbeck let them be carefully distilled with an indifferent fire if you please you may make two sorts stronger & weeker which you may doe by preserving the first that runs off by it selfe & ye latter by it selfe & soe use them as accation serves then after it is distilled put it in a wide mouth glass & stope it close & take of prepared pearl & sinara & one of each a seruple of red roses dryed well & red & yellow sanders small & tinn sliced of each one ounce of Amber:greace musk & saffron of each halfe a seruple put all these into a sarsnet-bag & hang in ye water for six weeks together & vocer in close with a double blader that of the strength breath out & after wards pour it out & put it in glases & keep it for yr use.

Hell if I know what half those words mean, but I copied the letters as close as I could.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sausage would own. I was thinking pie, too. There's no reason why we can't have more than one pact thread though....

I'm OK with doing both.

A sausage pie may be neat to try, too.

The Midniter posted:

One of the things I think keeps people from making attempts in either the N/ICSA or Cook or Die threads is their fear that their level of (in)experience will keep them from being successful or invite the scorn of GWS regulars. I, for instance, was hesitant to jump into the Fry That Bird CoD because I've pretty much never fried anything. In fact, my results were clearly subpar, but I'm glad I did it and it was a real learning experience. I mean it's pretty obvious that the ICSA and NICSA are aimed toward two pretty distinct groups of people regarding home cooking experience, but I think it'd be good to add a disclaimer for any future Cook or Die threads that all skill levels are welcome, and all that's needed to prevent getting an ugly custom title is the effort itself, not your final results.

My favorite part of the NICSA and CoD threads is that they've gotten me to try to make things I never would have even though of before. It's also given me great ideas, like the blue cheese soufflé with buffalo wings that I will one day make.

bunnielab posted:

Learning how to make my own sausage would be as damaging to my life as learning to make smack. I would never be able to stop.

I made some loose green chorizo this spring and was caught my by girlfriend at 2am, standing in the kitchen, naked, frying up small bits and eating them.

That's amazing! :dong:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The obvious reason that this forum has declined is Happy Hat's absence.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

You left IRC before I could link it, but I sort of transcribed it in case anyone couldn't read this and really needed to remedy their decay'd spirits.

I've seen IRC mentioned a few times. Is there a GWC channel somewhere?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

contrapants posted:

I've seen IRC mentioned a few times. Is there a GWC channel somewhere?
#foodchat on irc.synirc.net

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Baby, I got a STEW going!

...but now I have to wait. drat. :sigh:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Baby, I got a STEW going!

...but now I have to wait. drat. :sigh:

Waiting for a stew is the perfect time to bake a loaf of bread to go with said stew.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

bartolimu posted:

Waiting for a stew is the perfect time to bake a loaf of bread to go with said stew.

That would have been a great thing to realize while I was at the store getting the stew ingredients, so I could also get bread ingredients. Oops.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Joe Beef in Montreal makes a foie gras Double Down where both of the meaty bits are slabs of foie, filled with gruyere and I forget what else. My part-time wife took a photo when she had it that I can't find right now, but it looks about like you'd expect.

I realize that some regulars have not been particular fans of my moderation style from time to time. That's fine; I haven't been a particular fan of some regulars' posting styles. At times, they have come across as humorless, pedantic prigs intent on tearing down anyone who doesn't meet their exacting standards of cookery - not in a humorous fashion (as is sometimes exemplified by mindphlux, to whom I have at times reacted as a humorless, pedantic prig), but with a mean-spirited, burn-the-place-down mentality.

Obviously SA was founded on humor, including the humor of being dicks to one another. Being dicks to one another is a thing we do from time to time. Keep in mind, though, that swinging too far in the be-a-dick direction has the same end result as swinging too far in the be-nice direction: a dead forum where nobody wants to post. It's a balancing act, and as members of the community all of us have a role in finding that balance. Happy Abobo and I have been given a more active role in nudging the forum in the right direction when we feel it's needed, and on rare occasions we exercise that option. For the most part we try to let things self-correct.

This forum would not survive as a masturbatory culinary Helldump where only the stupid post to be ridiculed. It wouldn't survive as a hugbox where microwaved Kraft singles on pita bread pizzas get a free pass, either. Somewhere in the middle is a forum we can all enjoy and be proud of for varying reasons. To do that, some of y'all are going to have to learn not to walk back into that burning barn, or back up on that cross, or whatever martyrdom/stupidity metaphor you want to favor. Come outside. The sun is shining, Honeycrisp apples are in season, and it's time to start curing olives and cooking up big batches of Mr Wiggle's Weeknight Brazilian Stew, which is still one of my favorite autumn recipes (sometimes I use winter squash instead of sweet potatoes, especially when pumpkin is so cheap).

Why don't you change my name/avatar about it some more QQ

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why don't you change my name/avatar about it some more QQ
That actually wasn't me, it was PXJ800. I did think it was funny as hell, though.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
What temperature should I pull a 1.5" ribeye out of the pan if I'm targeting a good medium-rare(130ish)? I am terrible at judging carry-over cooking and ruin lots of steaks :(

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hey casu you should make a lemon rice thread.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love how active this thread has been all day today...on the topic of how this subforum has died. Apparently not! Post more, slackers!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also what punishment for COD?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love how active this thread has been all day today...on the topic of how this subforum has died. Apparently not! Post more, slackers!

The more I post the more how I think what a great idea it is to run an N/ICSA and nobody in their right mind wants that.

Casu Marzu posted:

Also what punishment for COD?

You're forced to eat nothing but cucumbers for the rest of the month. You didn't get the memo?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576189&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post420830286

cook or die or something

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hauki posted:

#foodchat on irc.synirc.net

Also: http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have some old Corelle dishes. Should I post them for sale here or SA Mart

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/10/09/watch-how-atelier-crenn-makes-carrot-jerky-and-egg-sheets-video/

Neat set of videos from Atelier Crenn on some techniques they've been playing with. Gorgeous plating and interesting to watch. I'm excited to see how the other vegetable "jerkys" turn out.

e: no fuckin' surprises on the Michelin list this year, at least in SF.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 23, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think people are afraid of GWC. I think it got overmoderated and turned into crap. A lot of the folks who really knew what they were doing and contributed a lot stopped caring when it became a forced feel good zone and you had to gladhand the gbsfood types who posted poo poo food. When gws was first its own forum, it was meat ships and hot dog rollups and people worked hard to turn into a good food zone. But thinskinned idiots whined when posters made fun of their hamburger mac and said we were snobby. Which I suppose we were, but in a productive way. Now, for the most part, no one bothers to post good stuff and no one bothers to post crap either. So we have a bunch of megathreads but really nothing original or unique to offer.

Delete GWC.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Many of us don't want to bother because we don't want to be probated for jumping someone's poo poo when they come into our recipe thread or whatever and say "well I don't like the way you did it so I did it my way with cheeze wiz instead and it's much better now and why don't you think I'm a unique snowflake :cry:." It is exactly what FGR says above. For serious - why bother with too much effort when the only posting that seems to be encouraged is the low effort gbsfood chickencheese kind?

Doh004 posted:

What does this even meeaaaannnnn?

It means I should be a moderator. :)

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm one of the "regulars" who kind of stopped posting quite a while back. It just seemed like everything got stale. We'd have an ICSA or NICSA in which the same people would post each time and that was about it for new content. Even after taking about a 6 month 'leave' from GWS, the same threads are at the top of the list and there's really nothing new. There's no impetus for the regulars to post new, content-heavy threads, as its a fair amount of effort to put out there to be heavily moderated. There's no impetus for new people to post regularly as people will jump all over their poo poo AND they'll be heavily moderated. It doesn't seem like there's a comfortable middle ground where people who are new to cooking, or at least new to cooking well can post, learn and gain the skills that they desire while having room for the "elite" folk who look down their noses at someone if they aren't using all locally sourced, farm to table, buzzword of the day nonsense every meal.

With that said, I do have some content that I believe to be interesting, and would be happy to begin a thread with a bunch of very old recipes. My sister-in-law works in the ancient manuscripts division of a library and has given me access to digitized versions of "ancient" recipe and cookbooks dating back to the 17th and 18th century. I find them to not only be entertaining, but also a pretty unique glimpse into just how our ancestors lived, sometimes despite what they were eating. If anyone is interested I'll work something up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

It means I should be a moderator. :)

Oddly enough, I'd support this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Phummus posted:

With that said, I do have some content that I believe to be interesting, and would be happy to begin a thread with a bunch of very old recipes. My sister-in-law works in the ancient manuscripts division of a library and has given me access to digitized versions of "ancient" recipe and cookbooks dating back to the 17th and 18th century. I find them to not only be entertaining, but also a pretty unique glimpse into just how our ancestors lived, sometimes despite what they were eating. If anyone is interested I'll work something up.

This would be a good thread.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phummus posted:

heavily moderated.
People keep saying this, but I have no idea why. I may have done ten reports in the last six months, and it's not due to lack of checking the reports forum - people just aren't making many reports and I'm not finding anything unreported that needs mod attention either. Is Happy Abobo flying around willy-nilly, probating and banning on some personal vendetta against any and all posts being made by people who have decided not to post here? Did angerbot get angry and not tell me? I am confused.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I think the spectre of lovely heavy modding hangs over GWC from the threadocaust and Whirled Peas. The current reality is probably less than the general 'feeling' of moderation here.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

bartolimu posted:

People keep saying this, but I have no idea why. I may have done ten reports in the last six months, and it's not due to lack of checking the reports forum - people just aren't making many reports and I'm not finding anything unreported that needs mod attention either. Is Happy Abobo flying around willy-nilly, probating and banning on some personal vendetta against any and all posts being made by people who have decided not to post here? Did angerbot get angry and not tell me? I am confused.

And it may well be that way. Like I said, I've been away for 6 months or so.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Females

Along a similar bent, the Library of Congress has digitized a number of rare cookbooks:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/digitalcoll/digitalcoll-gastronomy.html

This site also has a great list:

http://www.angelfire.com/md3/openhearthcooking/aaCookbookindex.html

Of course, it's hard to compete with the current favorite, The Cook Not Mad (pdf warning):

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/books/cooknotmad/notm.pdf

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

mindphlux posted:

It means I should bbe a moderator. :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

no more capitals!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Me in Reverse posted:

I think the spectre of lovely heavy modding hangs over GWC from the threadocaust and Whirled Peas.

This.

Also I support mindphlux for mod as well.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Phummus posted:

A friend of mine is an archivist and cooks old-tymey recipes sometimes; if you made this thread I'd join in with a few things (there's a surprisingly good 18th century fruit tart recipe I got from her).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I support none for mod, free GWC from the mod hegemony! Let the reign of anarcho-cookingtalism commence

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I was around for whirled peas, but mods have been quiet for about a year on that.
I like this forum, reminds me of AI, where mod/s rarely have to post or intervene.

You're all making lame excuses or remembering that terrible previous moderator.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, my kitchen sink backed up for the first time since I bought the house... and when I took the trap apart, in addition to the usual mush of fibers and rotting veggie bits (no garbage disposal), there were FIVE PLASTIC DRINKING STRAWS. The big, bendy ones.

Who the hell lets ONE drinking straw get down the sink, let alone five?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I don't know who uses straws in their own house in the first place. It's an extra thing to maintain in inventory and to toss in a landfill later, and it doesn't really serve a purpose if you're not drinking fountain drinks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I use straws occasionally bit rinse and recycle them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah, I'm pretty over the whirled peas whining. And I think I was probably the most vocal opponent of it while it was going on. Let's move on, dudes. Make pie, make fun of mediaphage for his self inflicted torture, learn about old people food, and talk about the ubiquitous "puddling". Or maybe even more threads that you have yet to post! gogogogogogogogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
During my admittedly short entirety on SA, I've not seen one probation in GWC nor for there to be a reason for a probation.

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, my kitchen sink backed up for the first time since I bought the house... and when I took the trap apart, in addition to the usual mush of fibers and rotting veggie bits (no garbage disposal), there were FIVE PLASTIC DRINKING STRAWS. The big, bendy ones.

Who the hell lets ONE drinking straw get down the sink, let alone five?

When I moved in to my current apartment, the dishwasher flooded. When we pulled it out, the dishwasher's drain had been blocked by two partially-melted, red Solo cups. The previous tenants weren't college-age. They were a family who lived here for years.