Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Jedit posted:

The Wings Kickstarter failed quite hard. Cinemaware do plan to try again, though.

I used to play RedBaron online a lot back in the day, and the community was probably like 250-500 tops so its going to be tough.
Also many of them where old grognards in bad health and no money so we'll see. Still, I'd love another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

I think that was brought up in the Awful Kickstarter thread. Zahn has almost nothing to do with the game, and the developer doesn't appear to have any experience with writing computer games. Then there is this:

:bravo:

That's actually the second KS for that game too. The first one was even worse, without even mockups to show and more ludicrous promises for backer involvement and 'feelings-based AI'.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The current mockups are really bad, too. Like, GameMaker community bad. They have all sorts of amateur design flaws that dip the credibility and goodwill into laughable territory.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Uncle Jam posted:

I used to play RedBaron online a lot back in the day, and the community was probably like 250-500 tops so its going to be tough.
Also many of them where old grognards in bad health and no money so we'll see. Still, I'd love another one.

This game looks intriguing, I only barely played Red Barons back in the day. However from the video shown in the kickstarter the game seems really arcadey? Won't back but might play if it gets released once

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Le0 posted:

Stumbled upon a new Kickstarter from a few days ago called Confederate Express. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829559023/confederate-express)

It's a "strategy oriented tactical RPG" in a Zombie apocalypse.

The art and animation looks great and to boot they are only asking for 10k$!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1vayggszdo

That's some goddamn good detailed pixel art.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Slate Action posted:

A few other people in here backed LIONESS, right? They sent out some of the digital backer rewards today (The 7 little mini-games you get for pre-ordering)

I can't say that I'm surprised how most of these games make little sense.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Hey look a Kickstarter draws near!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crashgem/churbles-a-beautiful-3d-rpg-adventure

This is also from a friend of mine. I'm aware that it might not get a lot of traction here and that's ok. The game will be plenty fun, Barrett has a long history of gaming and the design he's shared with me so far is sound. He's been working on the project in his after hours time for almost a year now with his own money, and he's got a team that's rallied behind him. He has continually cut and reduced the scope of the project, and is doing his level best to keep a grasp on what is real and achievable.

But.

Barrett is an untested developer. A level 1 jabroni like all the others, sitting in the tavern with starry eyes and a lust for adventure. He's well aware that you can't swing a dead cat and not hit some upstart with a Unity SDK ready to make their brilliant idea into a reality. I believe in him and I think he'll deliver-- I wouldn't have posted here otherwise. I do think he's due for some surprises along the way, the sort of pitfalls you've got to jump and/or tumble into first hand.

The game is family friendly, but he's not skimping on the RPGness of it all. It isn't a furry game, though he's not going to turn down furdollars from people excited by hamsters without pants.

Dangit, I can't afford another kickstarter this or the next month. I'd really love to fund this :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Le0 posted:

This game looks intriguing, I only barely played Red Barons back in the day. However from the video shown in the kickstarter the game seems really arcadey? Won't back but might play if it gets released once
Red Baron was indeed a bit more arcadey - which is probably why it survived at all against the Wings Over Europe et al games (which were more sim-focused). Well, that, and Red Baron was tied into some early networks that made net play possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

I looked up screenshots, never having seen it before, but it looks more on the level of Morrowind than Quake II.

Did you mean to quote me? Yeah, definitely. I was just being hyperbolic to prove the point that resolution isn't everything; I didn't mean to imply RealMyst itself looked like Quake II. Morrowind isn't a terrible comparison, although Bethesda never had the best art direction either, honestly. The Elder Scrolls series is great for how big it is, but their animations have always sucked balls, and their models aren't exactly beautiful.

bitprophet posted:

Gah, sorry - I own both realMyst and MME, so the decision is merely which one I felt like trying to get running on my modern computers first :)

I don't think realMyst looked all that bad when I last played it a few years ago. Being able to run at a modern screen resolution & move like a "modern" first person perspective game definitely made up for any potential lack. Saw the announcement about the update & almost definitely gonna buy that sucker day one!

The fact that Masterpiece Edition only works on a Windows XP virtual machine - and only barely then (crashes frequently) means I'm gonna be trying realMyst again soon :)

Don't suppose there's any dedicated Myst threads anywhere? I feel bad gumming up this one.

Masterpiece Edition works flawlessly on my Windows 7 64-bit, never had to do a thing to get it to work, never complained, never crashed once.

Megazver posted:

Holy poo poo this looks really good.

Look at that loving animation you guys.

Jeebus, you're not kidding. That looks FANTASTIC. The art design is really good. I'm a huge sucker for smooth lighting across low resolution pixel art too, and they balanced it really well. AAAAAH that looks so good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 23, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Le0 posted:

Stumbled upon a new Kickstarter from a few days ago called Confederate Express. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829559023/confederate-express)

It's a "strategy oriented tactical RPG" in a Zombie apocalypse.

The art and animation looks great and to boot they are only asking for 10k$!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1vayggszdo

I'm tired of zombie media in general, but man, that does look good, and like something I'd be interested in playing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm tired of zombie media in general, but man, that does look good, and like something I'd be interested in playing.

It does remind me of Project Zomboid quite a bit, yeah. But it also looks pretty cool, I'll keep my eye on it.

Hopefully they've heard of backups :haw:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Just saw a tweet about this here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1307515311/night-in-the-woods

1:33pm EST right now, and this project has one backer. It just launched. Now, this is from one of the dudes behind Aquaria, so he has plenty of cred and lots of fans already. It would have been very easy for him to pregame the kickstarter and have some numbers on the board before going wide with the link!

Are you kickstarting a game? You should do the same thing. Give friends/family/comrades a heads up, let them know exactly when you're going to open the KS, and ask them to hop in right away. Give them an hour or so before you go wide, so that total strangers can see that there's already movement on your project, rather than just being a dude with 3 backers and 87 cents.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
That looks amazing! I also appreciate the lack of "limited" rewards at the lower levels.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

madjackmcmad posted:

1:33pm EST right now, and this project has one backer. It just launched. Now, this is from one of the dudes behind Aquaria, so he has plenty of cred and lots of fans already. It would have been very easy for him to pregame the kickstarter and have some numbers on the board before going wide with the link!

Are you kickstarting a game? You should do the same thing. Give friends/family/comrades a heads up, let them know exactly when you're going to open the KS, and ask them to hop in right away. Give them an hour or so before you go wide, so that total strangers can see that there's already movement on your project, rather than just being a dude with 3 backers and 87 cents.

Holy loving poo poo this artwork rules.

BAAAAAAAAAACKED.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
To follow up on the Obduction discussion from the past couple pages today: They passed 50% today, 1 week in.

You can tell this is a lot of people's first KS, because the comments section is flooded with people Chicken Little-ing the pace of pledges slowing down, which is perfectly normal at this stage of a campaign.

madjackmcmad posted:

Also holy crap that game looks good.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 23, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

madjackmcmad posted:

For some reason the picture in the video frame reminded me of Paranoia Agent.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I've been trying not to back any more videogame kickstarters, but drat. Ah, well. Another thing to look forward to!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Hey, remember Earthworm Jim? Because Boogerman and Earthworm Jim are gonna team up (provided you backed at least $40 I guess). "For the first time since Clayfighter 63 1/3" yeah maybe don't bring that game up instead I dunno.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Just relaunched Dropsy!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy

I am SO excited. I think the solid ~2 months of planning are really paying off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hey, remember Earthworm Jim? Because Boogerman and Earthworm Jim are gonna team up (provided you backed at least $40 I guess). "For the first time since Clayfighter 63 1/3" yeah maybe don't bring that game up instead I dunno.

These guys are delusional.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Knite And The Ghost Lights is going to come down to the wire. 71 hours left, 79% funded, about $7k left to go.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 23, 2013

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Holy loving poo poo this artwork rules.

BAAAAAAAAAACKED.

This project is for the people who enjoy pain.

Pure evil project that tortures people for a long time posted:

Estimated delivery: Jan 2015

This is cruel and terrible!

Backed.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

I thought the artstyle looked very familiar, and sure enough. I'm probably going to back this one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shalinor posted:

Knite And The Ghost Lights is going to come down to the wire. 71 hours left, 79% funded, about $7k left to go.

:aaa: Oh wow! When I looked at this campaign a couple of days ago it was only at $20k. If they end up making it after all I'm going to be so happy! :dance:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just relaunched Dropsy!

Yeah, this is significantly better. Backed!

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Champeenship posted:

I thought the artstyle looked very familiar, and sure enough. I'm probably going to back this one.

I knew it looked familiar but I could not place it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just relaunched Dropsy!

Mommy, what is that clown doing?! :gonk:

Backed.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Shalinor posted:

Just backed this, Night in the Woods and Confederate Express, all at once. Man the talent of some of these guys is amazing.

Saphion
Oct 21, 2010
I'm a horribly addicted Kickstarter whore but don't tend to throw in large donations - but the video for Night in the Woods seems to repeatedly hammer on a button in my brain labelled simply 'OH GOD YES', so I'm throwing in fifty dollars (plus ten for postage).

Also backed Confederate Express because apparently I don't want to be able to afford presents for anyone at Christmas time.

Saphion fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 23, 2013

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just relaunched Dropsy!

Backed, the art style is fantastic and really interested to see how the dialogue free story will play out

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just relaunched Dropsy!

Your pitch is excellent, you come off as very sincere and the game looks great. I liked your old pitch too with the crazy backer rewards song, but I think this one will do better. Best of luck!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mercury Crusader posted:

quote:

As for the rights to EWJ, we are working closely with Interplay on this and they are fully supportive of him appearing as a guest star! :)

Well at least that's good if true. What's Interplay even doing these days?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well at least that's good if true. What's Interplay even doing these days?

They are "making" the Fallout MMO.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

madjackmcmad posted:

...wow. Something about that video just hit me right in the feelings, and games don't often do that. Backed, and I'll probably end up increasing my pledge before the campaign ends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hakkesshu posted:

They are "making" the Fallout MMO.

"They" are "making" the "Fallout" "MMO".

ftfy

Among other things, they inevitably lost the Fallout MMO license to Bethesda.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Interplay was also trying to restart Black Isle, as if resurrecting the name somehow means anything. :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I thought Interplay lost the rights to the Fallout IP completely to Bethesda, and in fact will lose the rights to selling the original Fallout games by the end of the year. At least, that's how I understood their dumb lawsuit thing.

Basically, Interplay is like one or two dudes that hang out I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Aww hellyeah Dropsy :respek:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Yodzilla posted:

Aww hellyeah Dropsy :respek:

:respek: I'm gonna be posting goon exclusive updates and stuff in the Official Dropsy thread. Subscribe!

Orzo posted:

Your pitch is excellent, you come off as very sincere and the game looks great. I liked your old pitch too with the crazy backer rewards song, but I think this one will do better. Best of luck!

Thanks! I was pretty tired from a few (almost) all-nighters, so I'm glad it came across as sincere more than drugged up or something. :v:

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still get bits of that 'Five Years' adaptation from late in the pledge drive stuck in my head sometimes. :unsmith:

And yeah, Night in the Woods is probably getting a few bucks from me too. Maybe it's approaching midlife, maybe it's a second wasted childhood, but something about it just reached in and gave me a heck of a twinge.