Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I finally caught up because I've been driving the car to work since it's been getting colder and it's finally dark enough in the morning that I feel it is acceptable to listen to Night Vale. Been listening since the beginning but I didn't listen to any the entire freaking summer.

I can't listen to these podcasts unless it's dark out (or at least dawn/dusk), it just doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Cassette is one of the most legitimately creepy things I have heard in a long time and it's also an incredible example of the worldbuilding. I always wondered what was behind the Ralph's.

And Cecil's first words after he stops the tape for the last time are chilling beyond belief... I might use that episode to introduce people to the show this halloween.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I think I need to listen to "Cassette" a few more times for it to grow on me, like "Summer Reading Program"; the delivery just sounds, I dunno, not quite as natural as other episodes do. That might just be me, though.

This story is *so* beautifully creepy and awesome, and raises *so* many questions, and and and...:ohdear:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

For you guys listening to the broadcast, I'd like to mention that I got a donation!

Starting tonight power output goes up from 100 watts to 500 watts!
However, on Tuesday night I'll be off the air but I'll be back on Wednesday transmitting from a new location with a new (hopefully more efficient) antenna as well!

Thanks for all the feedback by the way guys, most of it has been awesome to read, some of it has been hilarious and a few have been downright disturbing (awesomely so). For the QRZ jihadists, go ahead. I'm mobile with a portable generator, good luck triangulating that poo poo, bitches.

I can't say it enough either, this poo poo is SO MUCH FUN! It's like reliving a fun part of my childhood.

Thank you so VERY VERY much to the creators for allowing me to do this, thanks to everyone for listening (and again, whoever has been playing the part of Kevin from Desert Bluffs I love you so very much) and for understanding that this has been a really spit and bailing wire affair, but I've learned a lot and in the future (because gently caress no, I'm not stopping at Halloween, this is too much fun) it'll just be improved and have better coverage!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

dj_clawson posted:

I was at a LARP this weekend (yes, I know, I'm totally dropping in your esteem) and someone came up to me in the pre-game and said that he saw I posted from the live show theater. He said, "This teenage girl basically assaulted me at a wedding because she said I looked just like Cecil." He knew what Night Vale was, vaguely, but he had to ask around. I've seen the wedding photo, and to be fair he was tall and in a sweater vet and hipster glasses, but he's not, you know, bald, so I showed him a picture of the real Cecil he was very confused.

I love that there's skinny bookish nerds out there getting laid because of a podcast they've never heard of.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm thinking of going as Cecil for Halloween. Get hold of a refrigerator box, some translucent plastic for windows then wire up some speakers and an on air light. I just don't know if I've got the time to set it up.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I'm doing student observations in Alaska at a K-12 school, and one of the students passed me a copy of the student paper. On the back, there was a full page article devoted to "Welcome to Night Vale," written with much obvious love and passion by some student fan, encouraging other kids to check out. Now, I don't know much about the program - I'm actually going to give it a listen for the first time later tonight - but I recognized it as a thread in GBS. Always a wonder to me when I see something pop up in real life, so to speak.

So I thought you guys might get a kick out of that. Night Vale is not only internet famous - it is famous enough to warrant a write-up in a student paper. (To clarify a bit on that, I just think it is oddly endearing. Some student thought Night Vale was cool enough to want to share with all their friends and family.)

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 22, 2013

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm doing student observations in Alaska at a K-12 school, and one of the students passed me a copy of the student paper. On the back, there was a full page article devoted to "Welcome to Night Vale," written with much obvious love and passion by some student fan, encouraging other kids to check out. Now, I don't know much about the program - I'm actually going to give it a listen for the first time later tonight - but I recognized it as a thread in GBS. Always a wonder to me when I see something pop up in real life, so to speak.

So I thought you guys might get a kick out of that. Night Vale is not only internet famous - it is famous enough to warrant a write-up in a student paper. (To clarify a bit on that, I just think it is oddly endearing. Some student thought Night Vale was cool enough to want to share with all their friends and family.)

Welcome to Night Vale is one of the most popular podcasts in the world right now. It's famous enough outside of Internet circles that a student paper about it doesn't surprise me.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Welcome to Night Vale is one of the most popular podcasts in the world right now. It's famous enough outside of Internet circles that a student paper about it doesn't surprise me.
Oh, I know that it is popular. (I delved into it some after I made the connection.) I know it has a broad fan base, and has even been featured on NPR. It has gotten a lot of fame, and I figure rightfully so. But I also thought an article in a student paper is something simple and nice, you know? :unsmith:

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 22, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I just started listening to this after having it praised by my friends, and the Pilot is a little bit.. different. Not bad, in fact it is fantastic and quickly growing on me, but it is unlike anything I've listened to before- so my study weary brain is taking a few minutes to adapt to this.

I for one approve of the waterfront and would like to invest in it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

I just started listening to this after having it praised by my friends, and the Pilot is a little bit.. different. Not bad, in fact it is fantastic and quickly growing on me, but it is unlike anything I've listened to before- so my study weary brain is taking a few minutes to adapt to this.

I for one approve of the waterfront and would like to invest in it.

First: Good choice! Second: Do not read this thread until you're caught up.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Ariong posted:

First: Good choice! Second: Do not read this thread until you're caught up.

I will now go into exile because there appears to be some sort of coherent plot or meta-physics I would not want spoiled to me. I'll be back in a few days then, and hopefully Carlos will remain perfect and beautiful.

Such a strong jaw.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

"Cecil Baldwin the actor talking about how he pictures Carlos the Scientist"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Von Humboldt posted:

Oh, I know that it is popular. (I delved into it some after I made the connection.) I know it has a broad fan base, and has even been featured on NPR. It has gotten a lot of fame, and I figure rightfully so. But I also thought an article in a student paper is something simple and nice, you know? :unsmith:

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you because that was not my intent. Anyway you could scan the article for us?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Maxmona,

Are we allowed to re-sell merchandise that we bought from Topaco? My limited-edition shirt from September finally arrived and it doesn't even BEGIN to fit me.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

dj_clawson posted:

Maxmona,

Are we allowed to re-sell merchandise that we bought from Topaco? My limited-edition shirt from September finally arrived and it doesn't even BEGIN to fit me.

As far as I know, TopatoCo does exchanges. Contact them directly.

Also, interview with Slate Culture Gabfest: http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/culturegabfest/2013/10/slate_s_culture_gabfest_on_steve_mcqueen_s_oscar_front_runner_12_years_a.html

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I get that there are plot lines throughout this whole thing, but I'm still enjoying listening to episodes in order but without a set schedule so I forget some of the things that go on. I like to listen to batches when I have to drive at night since it makes the atmosphere better.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

maxnmona posted:

As far as I know, TopatoCo does exchanges. Contact them directly.

Also, interview with Slate Culture Gabfest: http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/culturegabfest/2013/10/slate_s_culture_gabfest_on_steve_mcqueen_s_oscar_front_runner_12_years_a.html

They were willing to do a trade if I paid return shipping and a restock fee, and I really want that shirt, so thanks.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
All these nerds dressing up as Cecil for Halloween...make a Station Management costume, scrubs!

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Look Under The Rock posted:

All these nerds dressing up as Cecil for Halloween...make a Station Management costume, scrubs!
gently caress that - Hiram McDaniels. I see a lack of 5-headed dragons on Halloween.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'd like to see a costume of John Peters. You know, the farmer? I'm curious how one would differentiate it from a generic farmer costume.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ariong posted:

I'd like to see a costume of John Peters. You know, the farmer? I'm curious how one would differentiate it from a generic farmer costume.

Carry a picture of a window and a translucent corn stalk.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pfft you just need to go as a Hooded Figure.

Sure, nobody will look at you or speak to you and the Secret Police will arrest you, but you'll definitely win Best Costume!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Speaking of which, here are some pics from our San Francisco shows that feature many a costume https://www.facebook.com/booksmith/media_set?set=a.10202587756042032.1073741837.1440675030&type=1

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

at the Brooklyn early show a couple weeks ago my cellist said he saw someone cosplaying as the Apache Tracker. I didn't see that but I did see someone with awesome angel wings full of eyes

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Ariong posted:

I'm only three episodes in and have come back here blinding my eyes from spoilers but I would dress like a normal guy, not even particularly like what pop culture tells us farmers look like, and just go around casually introducing yourself or having your friends introduce you as "I'm John Peters, you know, the farmer?". If you want ultra bonus points- gently caress I may steal this idea -get buisiness cards that simply have:

John Peters
The Farmer

"John Peters, you know, the farmer?"

The company slogan part of course would be centered and presented in the same way an actually one would be.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

A friend of mine is going as Cecil for halloween and is thinking about getting one of these so he has a Khoshekh to follow him around all night :3:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
See, I always thought Khoshekh was a "cat*". The audio recording of him would seem to back this up.

*note: the quotation marks

EDIT: Maybe just have an amorphous balloon shape covered with fur wearing a collar and "Khoshekh" name tag.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 23, 2013

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Nah, Cecil makes it pretty clear that he is, in all respects, a perfectly normal cat save the fact that it is floating. Makes it even better for me when sometimes it's just weird oddities rather than everything being an eldritch horror beyond thought.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I don't listen to podcasts at all and had no idea of the existence of this before today; while searching for some other stuff online I came across descriptions of what Night Vale was about and my interest was piqued. Downloaded the first two episodes and listened to them on the way home from work. I got to "Can you believe this guy said he used Indian magicks? What an rear end in a top hat" and cracked up. This stuff is great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Anchors posted:

Nah, Cecil makes it pretty clear that he is, in all respects, a perfectly normal cat save the fact that it is floating.

This is Night Vale we're talking about. What we consider a "normal cat" probably bears no resemblance whatsoever to what Cecil does.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

Speaking of which, here are some pics from our San Francisco shows that feature many a costume https://www.facebook.com/booksmith/media_set?set=a.10202587756042032.1073741837.1440675030&type=1

The best part of that is Satellite High's shirt.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dr Pepper posted:

Pfft you just need to go as a Hooded Figure.

Sure, nobody will look at you or speak to you and the Secret Police will arrest you, but you'll definitely win Best Costume!

Talking about the secret police, I have an old surplus-store gas mask and it's pretty easy to get a flat Navy uniform with the surplus stores around base. Next year, a member of the NVSSP may be giving out candy to frightful, unknowing children.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Talking about the secret police, I have an old surplus-store gas mask and it's pretty easy to get a flat Navy uniform with the surplus stores around base. Next year, a member of the NVSSP may be giving out candy to frightful, unknowing children.

I have an vaguely military styled A|X shirt with a velcro strip above the left breast pocket that, by default, goes with an A|X branded piece of Velcro that I don't wear because I don't like being a walking Fashion ad. I now need to find a way to get the night vale logo on a velcro back. Thank you goon sir for the inspiration.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
The "Last photo" thread reminded me that I made this.

I should probably go back and carve "WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE" on the bottom.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

at the Brooklyn early show a couple weeks ago my cellist said he saw someone cosplaying as the Apache Tracker.

Yeah, unfortunately we've had one of those at a few of our shows.

Please don't do that everyone.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I found this on my Tumblr dashboard.
An interview with Citizen Radio.
I'm listening to it right now.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

maxnmona posted:

"But you see" said another man, who was wearing a fedora, "it's OK to wear a racist costume when you're cosplaying as a character, the major point of whom is that he wears a racist costume. Here, let me explain…”

But the other fans moved a little ways up the sidewalk, so they could no longer hear the man.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

maxnmona posted:

Really now, they're just making us all look ignorant and racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
I so badly want to go back and read this entire thread, but won't. I just started listening to the podcast and am up to episode 6. this is amazing and beautiful. Keep it up! Otherwise, the Hooded Figures from the dog park may come for you!