Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol internet. posted:

Is the drive formatted as NTFS by any chance? I had this issue with a NTFS formatted drive and I had to run a chkdsk on a Windows PC to fix the issue. If it's FAT it might as well be worth a try as well. I'm assuming your using Tuxera NTFS if it is. Ended up the drive wasn't ejected properly and it caused problems.

Might want to update critical data before running chkdsk though.

No it's MacOS Extended. I solved the problem; I ejected the drive and then plugged it back in. All is back to normal! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Uuuh, did iTunes lose the option to sync the Addresses, Bookmarks, Calendars and other things to iOS locally?

The option seems gone and I’m not a huge fan of iCloud. Maybe it’s just a bug because I couldn’t find anything about this in the news.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the 'best practice' way to switch from 1Password to the iCloud Keychain? I think I'm the target audience for it since I only use Safari on OS X/iOS and the only times I would ever use a Windows PC is at work, in which case I'm not going to install 1Password or log onto anything non work related anyway.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

eames posted:

Uuuh, did iTunes lose the option to sync the Addresses, Bookmarks, Calendars and other things to iOS locally?

The option seems gone and I’m not a huge fan of iCloud. Maybe it’s just a bug because I couldn’t find anything about this in the news.

Yup, I noticed that stuff was missing from iTunes when I started running the dev previews.

Use iCloud. The only functionality that doesn't seem to have been covered is syncing mail accounts/logins.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FCKGW posted:

I'm on the Mavericks GM seed.
This fucker is stuck in my software update and won't go away no matter how many times I install it.

When I run update from the terminal, I get this:

pre:
Error downloading Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update: Can't load data for Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update from the Apple Software Update server
Also, I can't download Mavericks manually. Hitting the download button does nothing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: This is on both an '09 iMac and '12 rMBP

Are you on the first GM seed or the second? I was on the first but then I downloaded and reinstalled the release version and that went away.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Software to wipe the slack from a SSD?

I know that it's bad for the drive and all that, but if I want to force my SSD to be securely wiped, what's the options?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just got an iMessage on my phone (haven't read it yet) and just realized that it's not popping up on my MBP as a notification. How do I fix that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new sticky mail notifications are weird. Like if I've received two emails since I last checked, it will have a title with the last sender, but then underneath it says "2 notifications". So it looks like you got two from that person.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Abel Wingnut posted:

I ordered a refurbished rMBP last night. Will it come with Mavericks? New iLife? New iWork?

I'm guessing not. :(

Ordered one as well. The pricing was too good to pass up on.

From what I have been seeing from other convos, we will get all the new apps for free. It might not come installed, but we should be able to get codes for them, or ask them for codes. Mavericks is just a simple click button and install. I updated my Mac Mini last night and it took like an hour, but it was just a single button click. Wait. Done.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there any compelling reason why I should switch from 1Password to iCloud Keychain? I can't think of any and was wondering if anyone here could maybe name some good reasons.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
iCloud Keychain auto syncs with your phone and other Maverick computers. 1Password syncs with Windows machines and older OSX computers. So... whichever works better for you?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just tried to send directions from Maps to my iPhone but didn't have the options. It looks like there should be a list of devices and your typical "Email, message, etc.".

Anyone else not have their devices show up?

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is there any compelling reason why I should switch from 1Password to iCloud Keychain? I can't think of any and was wondering if anyone here could maybe name some good reasons.

I use both. 1Password has a better password generator, can handle more fields than username/pass(i.e. my bank requires account number, id, and pass) and can be used on my gaming PC. iCloud Keychain autofills in Safari on my iPhone and iPad so I don't have to copy/paste from the 1Password app.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I went ahead and upgraded my Mac Mini server to Mavericks Seever last night. Ever since, I've had the devicemgrd process constantly using between 80-150% CPU, which was never the case whilst using Mountain Lion Server. Killing the process works temporarily, until the process respawns again a minute later. There's nothing in the logs to indicate what the problem is.

Googling doesn't provide answers; infact there's very little about devicemgrd at all. As best I can tell, it might be something to do with Profile Manager, but disabling the profile manager service in Server hasn't resolved the issue.

Anyone got any ideas??

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Isn't it the spotlight reindexing?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Isn't it the spotlight reindexing?
Spotlight has to index again? Hrm. Guess I didn't even notice it happening? I love how the RAM is barely even touched anymore. I had Illustrator and InDesign running, along with Safari, and XChat. AND I'm not plugged into the power cable, and app store is updating my podcasts, and pages, numbers, and keynote apps. This would usually have me beach balling at iTunes for a while.

Not even a blip.

Look at that. It's like "Is that the best you can do? HAH!" In the past, being unplugged meant that the computer would drag rear end for a while as it switched to power save mode.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Any easy way to export bookmarks from Chrome to Safari?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Supgaiz posted:

I use both. 1Password has a better password generator, can handle more fields than username/pass(i.e. my bank requires account number, id, and pass) and can be used on my gaming PC. iCloud Keychain autofills in Safari on my iPhone and iPad so I don't have to copy/paste from the 1Password app.

Hmm good point. Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've done the Mavericks update on several machines; yep, TRIM for non-Apple drives gets disabled every time. Trim Enabler 3.1 still brings TRIM back to fighting form.

And yes, the DVD installs of iLife '11 are being force-updated to App Store aware versions. Not a problem IMHO as iPhoto v.9.5 runs super fast, libraries with 18,000+ photos update in seconds instead of minutes.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Duckman2008 posted:

Chrome: Bookmarks > Bookmark manager > Organize > Export bookmarks to HTML file
Safari: File > Import Bookmarks

Regarding 1password, I'm a big fan of being able to have custom fields so that I can store things like randomly generated strings to answer asinine security questions like "Which is your favorite child?"

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want something automated, Apple recently released a Chrome and a Firefox extension to auto-sync bookmarks to iCloud, but I'm not sure if it's Windows only or not.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

bulbous nub posted:

If you want something automated, Apple recently released a Chrome and a Firefox extension to auto-sync bookmarks to iCloud, but I'm not sure if it's Windows only or not.

I just set this up and it works great.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That extension is awesome. The iCloud Control Panel used to be a giant heap of poo poo but now it's really handy. I'll be pushing that extension out since we're a company of Chrome on PC and iPhone users.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bulbous nub posted:

It prompted me that its Windows only. The export/import worked fine though, and I don't add bookmarks too regularly, so I'll just stick with Safari for a while.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dino. posted:

Look at that. It's like "Is that the best you can do? HAH!" In the past, being unplugged meant that the computer would drag rear end for a while as it switched to power save mode.

…speaking of which, is it silly of me to be absolutely in love with the new activity monitor? I don't know what it is, but it just seems so much more clearer and intuitive and informative than the old one. :3:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tippis posted:

…speaking of which, is it silly of me to be absolutely in love with the new activity monitor? I don't know what it is, but it just seems so much more clearer and intuitive and informative than the old one. :3:
No! Not silly in the least. It's beautiful. And not hideous. You're not silly at all.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
This second seed of the GM is loving up my life. I am having issues with spotlight being unresponsive and the MAS refuses to download the installer for the release version of Mavericks.

:siren: Also: Apple changed what can be restored from using Migration Assistant.:siren:

Until Mavericks, you could use a mounted DMG from DeployStudio or CCC and restore from that. That does not work anymore, and I had to restore the DS image to an external USB3 HDD and migrate that way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I do an internet recovery (I'm currently running the GM) will it install Mavericks or ML?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

is it worth doing a clean installation from Lion on a MBA? The anal person in me wants to do it but it might be pointless.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

If I do an internet recovery (I'm currently running the GM) will it install Mavericks or ML?

Doing exactly that right now and its mavericks.

Edit: It did install the Mavericks release version even though I had the GM on it from the Dev Center before.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 23, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mayodreams posted:

Doing exactly that right now and its mavericks.

Should have brought my MBA to work today then. My boss left at 2:00 and our guest internet is 5x faster that what I have at home.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Is there a way to leave Prefs -> Mission Control -> "Displays have separate Spaces" enabled, but to assign different spaces to the internal and external displays?

Right now, with that option enabled, I can switch my MBP's internal display between Spaces 1-3 but my external display is effectively stuck on Space 4. Is there any way to, e.g. assign Spaces 1-3 to the internal display and assign Spaces 4-6 to the external display? I'd love to be able to mix and match spaces on the two different displays. Help?

Also, here's a tip for anyone who can't find the CLI Tools add-on in XCode5's Prefs -> Components under Mavericks and needs it installed/updated for homebrew or whatever: Go into a terminal and run "xcode-select --install", it should prompt you to install the CLI Tools.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Alright what the hell. Just upgraded to Mavericks and I have a Microsoft mouse plugged into my Mac Mini that won't scroll down with the scroll wheel. Restart did nothing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Macintosh posted:

Alright what the hell. Just upgraded to Mavericks and I have a Microsoft mouse plugged into my Mac Mini that won't scroll down with the scroll wheel. Restart did nothing.

Is natural scrolling on?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

Is natural scrolling on?

Nope but I just figured out it was SmoothMouse that was giving me problems. Turning it off fixes it.

Edit: Looks like Apple fixed the annoying mouse lag?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I'm on the Mavericks GM seed.
This fucker is stuck in my software update and won't go away no matter how many times I install it.

When I run update from the terminal, I get this:

pre:
Error downloading Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update: Can't load data for Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update from the Apple Software Update server
Also, I can't download Mavericks manually. Hitting the download button does nothing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: This is on both an '09 iMac and '12 rMBP

Just saw a fix on MacRumors:

quote:

For those with issues I worked out how to get from the first GM to final Mavericks direct from the App Store without a second Mac/friend/etc.

1. Launch the App Store app

2. While it’s running, edit /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

3. Change the version numbers to 10.8 for both and save.

4. Switch back to App Store, click on the big Mavericks Banner and it should say “Free Upgrade” rather than "Install". Click on it and it’ll ask for your Apple ID and associate it to your account. Now it should show up in your Purchase History, etc.

5. Now you've "bought" it, you can change your version numbers back to 10.9. Quit and relaunch App Store.

Make sure you launch the App Store first though. If you change your version number first it'll refuse to launch.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Things I like:

-memory usage

-tabbed windows

Things I don't:

-no airdrop (using filedrop for the moment)

-no proper v6 bootcamp drivers yet for your keyboard etc.
(Don't uninstall windows if you don't have to. I found this the hard way)

-Removal of coloured file labels for tags. Tags suck, labels were immediately obvious and have worked great since MacOS 6.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh man thanks for that, I was on the first GM and stuck as well.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What if you have an empty hard drive? Does Internet Recovery always install the newest thing your machine will run, or what your machine shipped with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perhonen
May 7, 2007
What's the build number people are getting from the app store? I installed the 2nd GM and wanted to make sure i'm as close to retail as possible. I have OS X 10.9 (13A603).