Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Trip report: Dodger Stadium

The train from Santa Barbara worked perfectly. We got to the station around 12, got on the bus, and were in our seats by 12:50. In case it wasn't noted earlier, if you take the bus and are sitting in the upper deck, get ready to hike up a shitload of stairs. It would have been faster, but the cops didn't feel like enforcing the alleged bus lane.

My dad and I were wearing Cardinals gear and got razzed the entire game (especially when the Dodgers started smacking dingers), but everyone was nice except for one douchebag who told us to go gently caress ourselves.

Getting back: OH DEAR GOD. As we sat in the bus trying to get out of the parking lot, I cursed LA for not having a Metro stop at the ballpark. The game ended around 4:15. The stadium is about 3 miles from the train station. We didn't get back to the station until 6.

Overall, I had a great time, outcome aside. We were even in the shade! Just be prepared for parking lot hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Uncle Jam posted:

How can I get a tour for a group of ~10 people? Anywhere I can find out cost, and are there tour+games packages?

Finally, is it allowed to use the visitor's clubhouse toilets while on the tour?

For tours, you can call (313) 471-2074, or check out http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=tours for more info.

You need around 15 people in a group to do a tour, and it comes to 6 dollars for each adult, 3 dollars for kids 4-14, and free for kids 3 and under.

There aren't any tour+game packages because we do tours on non-game days.

And as to your last question... I can't say yes on a public forum.

If you've got any other questions about it, you can e-mail me @ cmbattershell at gmail dot com and put SA Tigers Tours in the heading so my spam filter doesn't delete it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cbx posted:

For tours, you can call (313) 471-2074, or check out http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=tours for more info.

You need around 15 people in a group to do a tour, and it comes to 6 dollars for each adult, 3 dollars for kids 4-14, and free for kids 3 and under.

There aren't any tour+game packages because we do tours on non-game days.

And as to your last question... I can't say yes on a public forum.

If you've got any other questions about it, you can e-mail me @ cmbattershell at gmail dot com and put SA Tigers Tours in the heading so my spam filter doesn't delete it.

Also, there aren't tour or game packages, but a Tigers home series typically goes from Monday/Tuesday-Thursday and Friday-Sunday. If you schedule things well, you could tour on a Thursday and go to a game on Friday, or something like that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So the Braves are moving out of Turner Field, which is less than 20 years old:

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/24025051/article-Atlanta-Braves-moving-to-Cobb-County?instance=breaking_news

quote:

The Atlanta Braves organization is moving to Cobb County where it will build a $672 million Major League Baseball stadium and integrated mixed-used development.

The Braves organization will not extend its lease at Turner Field upon its expiration at the end of 2016.

The property has an easy access to the I-75, I-285, U.S. 41 and a variety of other transportation options. The stadium will occupy a portion of the site, with the balance being used for parking, mixed-use development and green space.

The estimated cost of the stadium, parking and related infrastructure is roughly $672 million. Details on financing for the project have not yet been released.

The Braves will be a significant investor, along with Cobb County, in the project.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012

I think that is a very stupid move. There is nothing wrong with Turner field.(I have been to several games) The only downsize is the area downtown is dodgy, but I don't how that justifies spending all that money to tear Turner Field down and build a new stadium. The article mentioned about the cost of upgrading seats and lights and what not (never had an issue with either as a fan) but that cost is 400 million cheaper than building a brand new one from scratch. I don't really need anymore fan experience... whatever that means.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pendergast posted:

I think that is a very stupid move. There is nothing wrong with Turner field.(I have been to several games) The only downsize is the area downtown is dodgy, but I don't how that justifies spending all that money to tear Turner Field down and build a new stadium. The article mentioned about the cost of upgrading seats and lights and what not (never had an issue with either as a fan) but that cost is 400 million cheaper than building a brand new one from scratch. I don't really need anymore fan experience... whatever that means.

Hint: the justification for the cost is "the government pays most of the cost"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So besides the Rangers will the Braves be the only other team with a field in the Exurbs?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dusseldorf posted:

So besides the Rangers will the Braves be the only other team with a field in the Exurbs?

Depends on how you view the Phillie's new park and whether you believe Rays' fans when they think St. Petersburg Florida is equally as far as St. Petersburg Russia.

And Orange County is just one big exurb anyway so lump the Angels in there too.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Dusseldorf posted:

I wouldn't call literally sitting on the north edge of I-285, practically within visible distance of Atlanta city limits, an "exurb". It is, however, a lovely place to be adding in a stadium, as it's already a traffic clusterfuck there on regular days, and public transit in the area is still kind of poo poo - one MARTA bus stop, and it looks like maybe two CCT stops in the area of the planned site, as opposed to Turner Field, which was surrounded by MARTA bus stops and had two shuttles running from different MARTA rail stations.

Out of curiosity, though - do any MLB teams own their own mag-lev trains between public transit stations and their fields? I'm not trying to be snarky; I'm trying to figure out how silly of a demand that was.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Out of curiosity, though - do any MLB teams own their own mag-lev trains between public transit stations and their fields? I'm not trying to be snarky; I'm trying to figure out how silly of a demand that was.

No. It's a very silly demand. Adding another layer between public transit -> get to stadium is silly on top of the whole idea of a team owning and operating a mag-lev.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

leokitty posted:

No. It's a very silly demand. Adding another layer between public transit -> get to stadium is silly on top of the whole idea of a team owning and operating a mag-lev.

Thanks for the confirmation. At least one article seemed to be putting their list of demands as "Atlanta could have kept the Braves at Turner Field if they'd just given in to these very reasonable requests", rather than the batshit insanity I thought they were. I'm still kind of confused at how moving to the Marietta/Smyrna/Cumberland area is supposed to fix the team's complaint about traffic and transit, though. Just about every resident of the area that's not applauding the money this will supposedly bring to Cobb County (never mind the $450 million in taxpayer funding, that's irrelevant I guess) has been saying the same thing - traffic already sucks there, and this is only going to make things worse for those of us that have to live and drive in the area.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I wanted to add some information to this thread as I've just received word from my bosses that the Tigers will be doing gameday tours of Comerica Park before 7 PM night games. Also, I'm allowed to take people onto the warning track and into the Tigers' dugout this year on a case-by-case basis. Tours are 6 dollars per adult, 4 dollars for kids, free for babies, and you need a group of at least 15 (or you commit to buying at least 15 tickets, you can have any size you want). If you have any questions about the tours, times, days, anything, shoot me a PM on here.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I went ahead and booked a room at a Hampton Inn near the Philadelphia airport as opposed to the cheapo hotel near the park (which is now a Ramada Inn, I think - it's a very distinctive tall tower). Walking a mile-ish isn't a big deal, but I've had awful luck with baseball and weather my entire life, and I don't want to have to make that walk if there's even a chance of rain. Luckily, Philly has plenty of airport hotels that are close enough to the park.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm thinking about going to my first game in Arlington sometime in the near future. My only issue is that I'm the whitest motherfucker you've ever seen and get sunburned in about five minutes, so are there any good seats that get a fair amount of shade during night games in April/May? I'm usually a cheapass, but I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to not be miserable.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Very rarely are the April games miserably hot, but 1st base side gets shade first.

As far as cheap tickets, I like Upper Box, somewhere in the row 5-10 range. The railings got raised after the guy fellJosh's Murder, and the first few rows suffer for it. You could also try the home run porch in RF - it's partially covered with some fans moving underneath it. The back rows won't have a great view though - I'd aim for rows 10-20 if that's what you wanted. And you won't see the Jumbotron either.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

a fair amount of shade during night games in April/May?
....ummmm?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

bawfuls posted:

....ummmm?

Well I mean for a May game that starts at 7, the sun's still gonna be out for about another hour and a half.

Thanks for the info Joe, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Well I mean for a May game that starts at 7, the sun's still gonna be out for about another hour and a half.

Thanks for the info Joe, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.
If you're capable of getting a sunburn when the sun is that low in the sky, how do you even leave the house during daylight ever? Are you a vampire?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

bawfuls posted:

If you're capable of getting a sunburn when the sun is that low in the sky, how do you even leave the house during daylight ever? Are you a vampire?

Are you really critiquing someone for their preference to sit in the shade, even if it is for a short period of time? So much random hostility in the baseball threads lately.

We need the season to start ASAP so all of us can channel our emotions into the game (FUCKIN' UMPS) and not each other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is a long shot but has anyone dropped off or picked up anyone from Yankee Stadium? My grandparents said something kind of sad last week about never getting to see the new Stadium and I'm trying to make it work. My grandma walks with a cane, but because she can still walk refuses to use a wheelchair. I talked to someone with Yankee guest services and they gave me the impression dropping off is pretty easy if you get there early but picking anyone up is going to be more difficult. Anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing most people take the train or subway but it's worth a shot.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Picking them up from right in front of the stadium is probably near impossible but if they could walk near the playground a few blocks South after the game it should only be a pain in the rear end.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I am going to the Rockies braves game at coors field tommorow. Going to buy the tickets on stubhub. Anything I should know about the stadium, which seats are good. Its my first time in Denver and I am lucky to have time to go to the game on the 9th.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

chilihead posted:

I am going to the Rockies braves game at coors field tommorow. Going to buy the tickets on stubhub. Anything I should know about the stadium, which seats are good. Its my first time in Denver and I am lucky to have time to go to the game on the 9th.

Coors Field is massive so it would be best to avoid the bleachers, but if you can get the bottom rows of the top of the grandstand you should do alright price wise. Also, since it's an afternoon game the views as the sun sets are astounding from the upper decks.

There's the Blue Moon Brewery inside the park (as in, they literally are brewing inside the park) which opens an hour or so before game time, so get there early.

Enjoy yourself, it's a beautiful place in a beautiful part of town with reasonably knowledgeable and engaged fans (the ones that are there).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm making my first foray to Marlins Park for today's thrilling Cubs/Marlins day game. I haven't bought seats yet because I can't imagine more than five other schmucks at a Marlins/Cubs getaway game in 2014, so if anyone has any advice about where to sit or any cool stuff about the park that I should check out, let me know.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm making my first foray to Marlins Park for today's thrilling Cubs/Marlins day game. I haven't bought seats yet because I can't imagine more than five other schmucks at a Marlins/Cubs getaway game in 2014, so if anyone has any advice about where to sit or any cool stuff about the park that I should check out, let me know.

There was a pretty incredible bobble-head collection on the lower level on the first base side when I was there (I guess this is a common thing at newer parks because the Twins had one, too?). I actually like how the stadium is fairly intimate since they pushed the upper seating out over the lower seating. If you sit on the upper deck along the first baseline, that's the spot I thought was the best since you get a direct view of the dinger machine and the open "window" behind left field that looks out over Miami.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My grandfather used to do tours for the old Riverfront park in 90s Cinci. The thing that stuck with me most was all the dead pigeons that hit cables and landed on the turf. I wonder if that's still a thing...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tadashi posted:

There was a pretty incredible bobble-head collection on the lower level on the first base side when I was there (I guess this is a common thing at newer parks because the Twins had one, too?). I actually like how the stadium is fairly intimate since they pushed the upper seating out over the lower seating. If you sit on the upper deck along the first baseline, that's the spot I thought was the best since you get a direct view of the dinger machine and the open "window" behind left field that looks out over Miami.

Cool, thanks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I went there in April, my girlfriend really liked the pork tacos. Concession lines got really really long come the fourth inning or so. They had a lot of stands closed so everyone was funneled to the open ones. I'd recommend any concession buying is done early on. I sat on the 1st base side in the outfield. It was a pretty good view, and we had a good view of the dancing marlin statue. Prices for tickets were more than I expected for a team that usually struggles to get people, but the game had decent attendance.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Trip Report: Marlins Stadium

-I have been in three domed M stadiums: Miller Park, Minute Made, and Marlins. I'm not a fan because watching baseball indoors is pretty weird, although far better than sitting outside in Houston or Miami would be. Of all of them, though, Marlins Stadium felt the most open and expansive. I sat on the first base side with the other Cubs fans in view of the giant window on a cloudy day. The upper decks were closed.

-Who goes to day games between two terrible teams in the summer? Thousands of summer campers. The stadium was barely full, but you wouldn't know it from listening because it turns out the high-pitched caterwauling of 2,000 nine-year-olds whipped into a frenzy by a digital Billy Marlin asking them to make noise is ear-splittingly loud. I'm glad they had fun though, and when the Marlins assemble their next inevitable bullshit World Series team, the place is going to deafening with the roof closed.

-Stanton dinger! Dinger Machine was activated. It really is as glorious as you think.

-The dudes in Miami's dance crew are absurd.

-There is a special graphic trumpeting 0 rain delays since the new park opened while blaring the Cool Runnings song. $800 Million well-spent, Miami. You're welcome, Loria says graciously.

-Of the few non-campers, there were unsurprisingly a ton of Cubs fans. I get horribly depressed every time I see a small child in a Cubs jersey knowing the lifetime of heartbreak he or she is going to endure.

-This was the first time I ever went to a baseball game alone, so I bought a scorecard and then made a horrible mess of it once substitutions happened. Going to baseball games alone blows. I felt weird. People around me thought I was weird. This was probably because I had a couple of beers and heckled Eovaldi for giving up a double to a pitcher. Cub pitchers are really good at hitting.

-Also at a Marlins day game: Dwyane Wade. The crowd went nuts when they showed him on the video board in the seventh inning and he showed his appreciation in the traditional way, by grabbing his face and demanding a foul.

Overall, Marlins Park is cool and I might try to catch another game there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol look at this fuckin nerd who kept score at a baseball game and doesn't have friends

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

lol look at this fuckin nerd who kept score at a baseball game and doesn't have friends

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Trip Report: Marlins Stadium

-I have been in three domed M stadiums: Miller Park, Minute Made, and Marlins. I'm not a fan because watching baseball indoors is pretty weird, although far better than sitting outside in Houston or Miami would be. Of all of them, though, Marlins Stadium felt the most open and expansive. I sat on the first base side with the other Cubs fans in view of the giant window on a cloudy day. The upper decks were closed.

-Who goes to day games between two terrible teams in the summer? Thousands of summer campers. The stadium was barely full, but you wouldn't know it from listening because it turns out the high-pitched caterwauling of 2,000 nine-year-olds whipped into a frenzy by a digital Billy Marlin asking them to make noise is ear-splittingly loud. I'm glad they had fun though, and when the Marlins assemble their next inevitable bullshit World Series team, the place is going to deafening with the roof closed.

-Stanton dinger! Dinger Machine was activated. It really is as glorious as you think.

-The dudes in Miami's dance crew are absurd.

-There is a special graphic trumpeting 0 rain delays since the new park opened while blaring the Cool Runnings song. $800 Million well-spent, Miami. You're welcome, Loria says graciously.

-Of the few non-campers, there were unsurprisingly a ton of Cubs fans. I get horribly depressed every time I see a small child in a Cubs jersey knowing the lifetime of heartbreak he or she is going to endure.

-This was the first time I ever went to a baseball game alone, so I bought a scorecard and then made a horrible mess of it once substitutions happened. Going to baseball games alone blows. I felt weird. People around me thought I was weird. This was probably because I had a couple of beers and heckled Eovaldi for giving up a double to a pitcher. Cub pitchers are really good at hitting.

-Also at a Marlins day game: Dwyane Wade. The crowd went nuts when they showed him on the video board in the seventh inning and he showed his appreciation in the traditional way, by grabbing his face and demanding a foul.

Overall, Marlins Park is cool and I might try to catch another game there.

I went to a bunch of baseball games by myself for a couple years and I'd always keep score. It's almost the only way for me to enjoy the game when you're by yourself since you have no one to talk to. Getting drunk and keeping score rules, until the aforementioned pitching changes, then you give up and try and get one more beer before last call.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I dunno guys, I find it's pretty easy to make friends with people around at ballparks if you can find away to initiate a conversation with them. It's kind of fun going alone and hanging out and having a good time with some people you know you'll never see again and whose names you probably didn't even learn.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I think I'll go to Petco for the first time tomorrow for no particular reason. I'll try to snag a Beat LA shirt. Bonus.

edit: Holy poo poo San Diego what is with your hotel prices? San Francisco is cheaper than this.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 21, 2014

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Puig just walked by me on the sidewalk lol

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Was he walking the right way?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Didn't even notice him at first. I was crossing the street next to the Omni hotel, and in the corner of my eye I see a gang of nerds caddy corner from me start crossing the intersection diagonally looking like a pack of speed walkers. I'm like wtf these guys are going to run into me. Then they start saying Puig Puig Puig and then I see him like 20 feet in front of me coming the other way.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I think I'll go to Petco for the first time tomorrow for no particular reason. I'll try to snag a Beat LA shirt. Bonus.

edit: Holy poo poo San Diego what is with your hotel prices? San Francisco is cheaper than this.

There's a huge conference in town this weekend. Almost every hotel in San Diego is sold out and the ones that aren't are selling rooms for huge prices. I work at a hotel and we were selling rooms yesterday for $250 a night

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
I'll be going to Chase field for the fist time since moving to Phoenix from Chicago, when the Cubs play Arizona. Besides watching 2 of the worst teams try to lose to one another anything I should know or specifically check out? I work just about 10 minutes from the stadium but never checked the area out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Guru Yaekob posted:

I'll be going to Chase field for the fist time since moving to Phoenix from Chicago, when the Cubs play Arizona. Besides watching 2 of the worst teams try to lose to one another anything I should know or specifically check out? I work just about 10 minutes from the stadium but never checked the area out.

I might be jaded from my parents having a few years of season tickets there but don't eat in the ballpark and smuggle in alcohol/sunflower seeds.

All the seats are good but you probably get better value out of 2nd deck seats and possibly moving down a few rows (Don't go on Star Wars Day if you want to do this though).

You have to show up right when the doors open to see visiting team's BP (around 2 hours before gametime), and you can't see the dbacks take BP.

The Phoenix New Times can have some good food recs or you can post where about you are coming from and what you want to eat and I can give suggestions. Of course you can also eat the bacon dog in the ballpark or the Wisconsin Dog (has mac and cheese on it).

• Locked thread