Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So does Rouge have a thing for Knuckles or Shadow? Cause I'm sure we'll be seeing the latter at some point and Sega flip flops. Also, that was a very very interesting dynamic they glossed over. Sonic kinda left his friends high and dry for some time, so leadership passed to Knuckles. Finally, Triple Tornado makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

So does Rouge have a thing for Knuckles or Shadow? Cause I'm sure we'll be seeing the latter at some point and Sega flip flops. Also, that was a very very interesting dynamic they glossed over. Sonic kinda left his friends high and dry for some time, so leadership passed to Knuckles. Finally, Triple Tornado makes me happy.

Rouge is a strong independent blackbat woman, and she don't need no man.

But seriously, it's best not to think about romantic subplots in Sonic games. That hole goes deeper than any sane person can be prepared for.

I remember Hail Storm being really funny and killing everything immediately...

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

For Knuckle's dad.
Well, not really.
But the Rouge is more about the gems

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, there were so many burns in there it was like Sonic 06 Blaze's story in Sonic Rush all over again!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I've always just kind of figured that past the point where he literally broke the Master Emerald himself to keep it out of the wrong hands, Knuckles just kind of said, "gently caress it! I'm done! poo poo ain't workin'!" So now he just kind of treats his job less like he's the Master Emerald's nanny and more like he's its truancy officer, because, I mean, it's gonna get stolen anyway, so if he just stops caring until it's being actively stolen, he can go have some fun in his life. This is why he has time to go perform in the Olympics, or go kart racing, or participate in the plot of whatever the gently caress game he wants.

SonicRulez posted:

Also, that was a very very interesting dynamic they glossed over. Sonic kinda left his friends high and dry for some time, so leadership passed to Knuckles.

This is another one of those "Rouge the Bat" things where they took an idea with shitloads of potential and just hosed it right up. See, he's not saying, "I'm in charge now." He's saying, "We all figured out how to be independent and get poo poo done on our own," because that's exactly what happened (Amy aside). Tails said he had to do some growing up since he couldn't rely on Sonic anymore; so he wasn't relying on Knuckles, he was learning to rely on himself. Knuckles didn't have Sonic hanging around telling him, "We can't just punch poo poo randomly until the problem gets solved, we need to punch something specific," so he had to learn that kind of restraint on his own. The further out you go from the core cast the more independent they were to begin with but they still rallied behind Sonic when a problem needed solving. So now, Sonic's kind of an outsider in his own team. Everyone's learned to function without him and they work together all the more effectively for it, because they have a better understanding of each others' strengths and weaknesses both as they were and as they are now, and Sonic's behind the game on all of that, and he has to learn how to work with his friends all over again, this time as a group of equals who work together because they understand one another and can play off each others' strengths, instead of as a bunch of people who are working together because they all follow the same leader. Except they didn't do any of that, they just kind of pooped out a script in a couple of weeks.

Amy seems to have gone up the pole instead; whether she was convinced Sonic would be back soon and she's been sitting on this Boyfriend In Canada thing for however many months or years Sonic was gone, or she's legitimately insane and really believes in her fake boyfriend, her coping mechanism was to craft a fiction she was fairly certain would make Sonic jealous and capture his interest in a way more overt advances had failed to. This, too, could have been much more interesting than they made it, especially if they had portrayed it as unhealthy no matter how the player has Sonic treat Amy.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have to have missed this, but when did sonic leave?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

TwoPair posted:

: Is your name Froggy? No. Your name is Sonic. So-nic.

:iceburn:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shwqa posted:

If I had to guess sometime after the beginning cutscene. I like to imagine Eggman is the only reason Sonic hangs out with his friends.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Since Sonic '06 retconned itself, Sonic hasn't seen Knuckles since the events of Sonic Heroes.

Probably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Since Sonic '06 retconned itself, Sonic hasn't seen Knuckles since the events of Sonic Heroes.

Probably.
How could you forget Sonic Riders?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

How could you forget Sonic Riders?

Oh. My mistake.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like how the game doesn't even bother coming up with the flimsiest of explanations for why you can only have 4 party members at a time.

So what's up with those Lego shoes that Knuckles has, anyway? I could never figure that out.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

So what's up with those Lego shoes that Knuckles has, anyway? I could never figure that out.

Sonic has 'tude, Knuckles has 'tyle. Call them legos all you want, he knows they're cool.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Sonic has 'tude, Knuckles has 'tyle. Call them legos all you want, he knows they're cool.

Unlike Sonic he don't chuckle, except for every scene in Sonic 3.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

LeafyOrb posted:

Unlike Sonic he don't chuckle, except for every scene in Sonic 3.

That was clearly a snickering animation.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Gazing too long into Sonic the Hedgehog canon will yield only madness.

On the game: Big is actually really good and actually pretty funny so I kept him in my party a lot. Knuckles is also pretty decent, but Amy's basically him but better (until you get a later character that Knuckles has a great team-up with). Sonic/Big/Amy/Tails is probably the best party at this point.

Also, gently caress the frog sidequest, and gently caress looking for Cheese.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

rear end in a top hat sonic is easily the best thing about this game - not even simply because he's a jerk, but because I like to imagine some Bioware team sitting around a table saying "we're Bioware! We're the dialogue/moral choice guys! We gotta work that in somehow." And from that point on struggling with all their might to give the cast of a high-speed platformer from the 90s some sort of depth and range.

The story of trying to write this game is probably more interesting than the story they came up with.

Please never stop choosing the jerk-est options available.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dolash posted:

I support this motion.

I also want to see as many post Adventure characters in the party as possible at all times, but I think that might be more schadenfreude than enthusiasm. And also because Sonic just got told by Big.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like to see only positive sonic, plus the bonus romantic Amy scene/dialogue, purely so that the thread will have something to whine and retch over. It's not really a complete Sonic LP without it!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd like to see only positive sonic, plus the bonus romantic Amy scene/dialogue, purely so that the thread will have something to whine and retch over. It's not really a complete Sonic LP without it!

Hey now buddy, we're not about to go horning in on Dexter's gal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, exactly. Sonic the Hedgehog: Homewrecker.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lizard Wizard posted:

I thought we just agreed to do the most dickish things possible?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It really needs to be shown to the thread, it gets really... Bioware at the end there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Onmi posted:

It really needs to be shown to the thread, it gets really... Bioware at the end there.
Every option leads to hilariously animated sex?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SelenicMartian posted:

Every option leads to hilariously animated sex?

Not exactly, to be serious Sega does not want Sonic to be in a relationship, ever. So even the scene in this game is them reaffirming themselves as "Really good friends."

So thankfully we get to avoid anything that would make the creepy fans drool. At the same time, it's still Bioware.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wild Knight posted:

Please do. For some reason I laughed the hardest at that part of the update.

Big's stupidity seems kind of...stupidly comedic, like the nice big dumb guy with a heart of gold, instead of just flat-out retarded like some other Sonic games have done. I...guess if I had to give Bioware credit for anything in this game, it'd be that. I think that's a better way to handle "stupid" characters.

Amppelix posted:

Hey, you don't get to complain about Sonic being an rear end in a top hat when you're picking the answers for him! :colbert:

Who's complaining? I simply find it amusing that these people even continue to be around him when he does nothing but be a dick to them constantly.

Dolash posted:

AYE AYE

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dexter is the bonus boss - if you piss Amy off enough in game then he appears as post-game content ;)

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Please record the part where you first run into Shadow. It has this game's most defining moment.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

BRING THE FROG.

I like how Froggy can use Weather Report.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

NeoAnjou posted:

Dexter is the bonus boss - if you piss Amy off enough in game then he appears as post-game content ;)

Yeah, but he's broken, you can't beat him legit. He wipes your face right off unless you use this really obscure item called "antipsychotics" that makes you auto-win the fight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Haha, never change, Sonic!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Ah, welcome to scenic Mystic Ruins.

The further into this game the LP goes I keep thinking this game wouldn't be nearly so bad if the music wasn't just so god awful. When that . . . whatever it is . . . kicked in about 15 seconds into the track I just couldn't help but cringe.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chuu posted:

The further into this game the LP goes I keep thinking this game wouldn't be nearly so bad if the music wasn't just so god awful. When that . . . whatever it is . . . kicked in about 15 seconds into the track I just couldn't help but cringe.

I remember trying to play this game but my copy would freeze invariably (damaged used game) but I never played with the volume up. I'm so happy I did that because this HORRIBLE.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Big just plows through environmental hazards, too oblivious to get hurt? Yeah, sounds like him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So hey guys, for the next update, we're actually gonna have a little bit of voting!

Like I said in the update, we now have more characters than we do party slots, so we have to choose who travels where. Sonic's non-movable, and I'd like to keep Tails around of course, since we always need a medic. But that leaves us with two party slots to fill. So, we have Amy, Big, Knuckles, and Rouge. Pick two for the next chapter (although, since we will be backtracking to all three of the visited areas, Big will be going to the Mystic Ruins whether you pick him or not)

Also, since it's Halloween,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZkds-W45s

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 29, 2014

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Knuckles and Big.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Knuckles and Big.

Sounds alright to me too.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Amy and Rouge, so we can have a 50/50 gender split.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Amy so we can continue to sass her and Big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Amy so we can continue to sass her and Big.

I like this idea and will second it.

• Locked thread