Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is the Coast Guard's lounge thread. We can tell you a bit about joining and what it's like if you want, or feel free to contact myself via PM or whoever else is listed as a sponsor. It's still hard to get in due to high retention, but you can always give your local recruiter a shout and hopefully they'll tell you what you need to know.

Anyways, I figured we should probably have a new thread since it has been a loving year since the last one.

So yeah, sequestration, government shut-down, and everything else you can think of is dwelling on everyone. People say I'm in Operations as a Prevention Officer, but I don't see a whole lot of difference in day to day operations. Guys trying to do patrols on their boats probably see things a bit differently.

Countdown to transfer-about 9 months. Can't-loving-wait. Grass=always greener. Depending on where my next unit ends up being, I will look at getting out. But-who knows.

Edit: We need an update on Krispy-is he still alive or did he do what all the Chiefs predicted-die in a gutter because there is no life after the Coast Guard? This is important.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

This is the Coast Guard's lounge thread. We can tell you a bit about joining and what it's like if you want, or feel free to contact myself via PM or whoever else is listed as a sponsor. It's still hard to get in due to high retention, but you can always give your local recruiter a shout and hopefully they'll tell you what you need to know.

Anyways, I figured we should probably have a new thread since it has been a loving year since the last one.

So yeah, sequestration, government shut-down, and everything else you can think of is dwelling on everyone. People say I'm in Operations as a Prevention Officer, but I don't see a whole lot of difference in day to day operations. Guys trying to do patrols on their boats probably see things a bit differently.

Countdown to transfer-about 9 months. Can't-loving-wait. Grass=always greener. Depending on where my next unit ends up being, I will look at getting out. But-who knows.

Edit: We need an update on Krispy-is he still alive or did he do what all the Chiefs predicted-die in a gutter because there is no life after the Coast Guard? This is important.

~civ life owns bitch~

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

~civ life owns bitch~

I hate (envy) you.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Countdown to transfer-about 9 months. Can't-loving-wait.

I can't loving wait to be on land for 4 years and be a (bigger) lazy sack of poo poo. Sill eyeing San Francisco, New York, Seattle, San Diego and LA.

Oh and remember when I told you guys things where getting lovely on cutters? Turns out its getting so bad that cutters may end up doing a hell of a lot of Pier-side training.

The only good (actually bad) thing is that we are getting more pier-side time. :smithicide:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

I can't loving wait to be on land for 4 years and be a (bigger) lazy sack of poo poo. Sill eyeing San Francisco, New York, Seattle, San Diego and LA.

Oh and remember when I told you guys things where getting lovely on cutters? Turns out its getting so bad that cutters may end up doing a hell of a lot of Pier-side training.

The only good (actually bad) thing is that we are getting more pier-side time. :smithicide:

I'm sure the commandant must be thrilled that his cutters crews will simply 'discuss' how they would do man overboards and small boat ops. His whole proficiency thing is going right out the window.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I'm sure the commandant must be thrilled that his cutters crews will simply 'discuss' how they would do man overboards and small boat ops. His whole proficiency thing is going right out the window.

You can do mob training at the pier.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

You can do mob training at the pier.

Not very effectively.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Not very effectively.

Says you. It'd be a good morale boost to just shove someone over the side at the pier.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Says you. It'd be a good morale boost to just shove someone over the side at the pier.

Too much paperwork.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

I hate (envy) you.

What about me?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

What about me?

Don't envy air soft bro.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

Don't envy air soft bro.

I stopped playing airsoft when I was too HSLD for them.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

What about me?

It's different when you get out on your own terms.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

:drat:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

haha ouch. Technically I did...but only technically.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

Well poo poo. :smith:

In good news I passed tape, not weight. This may not sound good, but last time weighed I was over and I was just at the body fat percentage limit. This time I was still 200, but lost 2 percent in body fat.

I am still a pale nerd thought...

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

In good news I passed tape, not weight. This may not sound good, but last time weighed I was over and I was just at the body fat percentage limit. This time I was still 200, but lost 2 percent in body fat.

I don't even remember the last time I weighed in. :catdrugs:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ElMaligno posted:

Welcome to my world brother man. I have to tape every time since day one. Hopefully that waist keeps shrinking.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

krispykremessuck posted:

I don't even remember the last time I weighed in. :catdrugs:

The last time you came over and the floor creaked.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

The last time you came over and the floor creaked.

WOW RUDE

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was SUPER confused as to when I made that post but man it brings a tear to my eye to know you respect me so much man I'm getting all emotional over here.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I was SUPER confused as to when I made that post but man it brings a tear to my eye to know you respect me so much man I'm getting all emotional over here.

Hopefully your heart skips a beat. And keeps skipping them. :c00l:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bwahahaha that's loving great.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

Hopefully your heart skips a beat. And keeps skipping them. :c00l:

WOW RUDE

Dose of the Clap
Aug 14, 2009

Selfosophy Psycho
I'm curious about the Coast Guard and I don't know anybody in it to get information from. I'm looking at it as a possibility after graduation to either make a career out of, or gain some experience in my field to transfer to the civilian market. By graduation, I will have two degrees and numerous IT certifications. I've seen online that there are officer positions in IT, but can't find any direct information. My joining would be solely contingent upon directly going to OCS after signing up, which I've heard is possible. If, for whatever reason, I don't qualify for OCS immediately, I do not want roped into a contract. No offense meant, but I really don't have any interest in starting at an E1 level. My wife is severely anti-military, mostly due to the prospect of deployment or long periods away from the family. Apart from the time spent in boot or OCS, I figured Coast Guard would be mostly stateside, but I know nothing about it. Any info?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Dose of the Clap posted:

I'm curious about the Coast Guard and I don't know anybody in it to get information from. I'm looking at it as a possibility after graduation to either make a career out of, or gain some experience in my field to transfer to the civilian market. By graduation, I will have two degrees and numerous IT certifications. I've seen online that there are officer positions in IT, but can't find any direct information. My joining would be solely contingent upon directly going to OCS after signing up, which I've heard is possible. If, for whatever reason, I don't qualify for OCS immediately, I do not want roped into a contract. No offense meant, but I really don't have any interest in starting at an E1 level. My wife is severely anti-military, mostly due to the prospect of deployment or long periods away from the family. Apart from the time spent in boot or OCS, I figured Coast Guard would be mostly stateside, but I know nothing about it. Any info?

Is this a real post? Don't join.

e: enlist with two degrees

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

This HuffPo article is pretty cool.

David Helvarg posted:

What he might have said is, "The Coast Guard can no longer remain a world-class maritime law-enforcement agency and armed service given the inadequate resources you now provide." That is, he could have sounded more like the heads of the other Armed Services when they testified with great theatricality about the impact of the sequester on them. But in Admiral Papp's case he'd have the added advantage of telling the truth. The Coast Guard is the only armed service that actually has no fat to cut. In fact it is being starved of lean muscle. And no one seems to care enough to rescue them.

MORE WITH LESS SEMPER P GUARDIANS

e: too bad it's HuffPo :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Interesting.

If I still paid attention to my Facebook account, I'm sure there are plenty of people linking that to each other.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

Interesting.

If I still paid attention to my Facebook account, I'm sure there are plenty of people linking that to each other.

I shared it HOURS ago :colbert:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Here let me tell you the inside-scoop of the Coast Guard fleet:

Unless we get money, we are going to be hosed. The only silver lining in the CG future is that Marijuana might become federally legal, therefore making it worthless to smuggle.

Now you don't have to read HuffPo~

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Here let me tell you the inside-scoop of the Coast Guard fleet:

Unless we get money, we are going to be hosed. The only silver lining in the CG future is that Marijuana might become federally legal, therefore making it worthless to smuggle.

Now you don't have to read HuffPo~

That's actually not a silver lining. Drug interdiction is a major point of justification for the continued existence of the CG. Anything that hurts those numbers hurts the CG.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah, I don't know what the right answer is if we don't get money to do the things we need. Prevention, as far as my job goes-has been pretty much unaffected from what I've seen. However, response and all that poo poo? No idea, but it doesn't sound good.

I wish Papp would just throw his hands up in the air and say 'Our boats are loving old guys. Here, we'll shut down the ships since most of the old ones are on their last legs, and we'll just TAD most people to sectors and small boat stations where we have newer boats and can do Rec Boat safety and some LMR all day. gently caress the drugs, gently caress JIATF, and gently caress you! I'm out!'

Edit: haha. I normally just browse the forums on my phone so I can just see the avatar pic and make out who it is. Seein em both now on a computer...that's awesome.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the right answer is if we don't get money to do the things we need. Prevention, as far as my job goes-has been pretty much unaffected from what I've seen. However, response and all that poo poo? No idea, but it doesn't sound good.

I wish Papp would just throw his hands up in the air and say 'Our boats are loving old guys. Here, we'll shut down the ships since most of the old ones are on their last legs, and we'll just TAD most people to sectors and small boat stations where we have newer boats and can do Rec Boat safety and some LMR all day. gently caress the drugs, gently caress JIATF, and gently caress you! I'm out!'

Admiral Allen did that, and it ended with the CG getting more money. Allen also wasn't known for being an organization sycophant, the same cannot be said for Papp. The GOBC also didn't like Allen as far as I ever heard so don't expect another one like him to be in the chair for a while.

edit: I almost said "at the helm" but luckily I caught myself and smashed my head into the wall a dozen times to make sure I didn't.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah, Allen took over shortly after I graduated boot camp, but I was a non-rate not paying attention to anything other than the A-school wait list, and I was on a Polar Roller doing a deep freeze patrol, so I was completely unaware of funding issues during that time.

I'm just really hoping for the next COMDT to know about all of our missions and not just "CUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMAN"

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Yeah, Allen took over shortly after I graduated boot camp, but I was a non-rate not paying attention to anything other than the A-school wait list, and I was on a Polar Roller doing a deep freeze patrol, so I was completely unaware of funding issues during that time.

I'm just really hoping for the next COMDT to know about all of our missions and not just "CUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMAN"

You'd think a guy that has such a hard-on for CUTTER LIFE would have made a bit more serious attempt at funding the ship-based missions better, but everything I ever saw of budget issues was that the CG was asking for less money. I guess to avoid answering hard questions like: Why can't you ever pass an audit? Why is your poo poo always broken? Et cetera.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

That's actually not a silver lining. Drug interdiction is a major point of justification for the continued existence of the CG. Anything that hurts those numbers hurts the CG.

Marijuana is the bulk of illegal drug transport, not the ONLY illegal stuff being transported around. Without the revenue of Marijuana I imagine they (edit:as in drug lords) might push for the transportation of other more dangerous and lucrative drugs.

krispykremessuck posted:

You'd think a guy that has such a hard-on for CUTTER LIFE would have made a bit more serious attempt at funding the ship-based missions better, but everything I ever saw of budget issues was that the CG was asking for less money. I guess to avoid answering hard questions like: Why can't you ever pass an audit? Why is your poo poo always broken? Et cetera.

That's what happens when you plan on the short term and not on the long term.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Add this to OP tia:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

that's harsh

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

that's harsh

Not as harsh as taking the service wide for the very first time!

Good God talk about a loving eye opener. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

Not as harsh as taking the service wide for the very first time!

Good God talk about a loving eye opener. :stare:

I never had to take those what are servicewides?

• Locked thread