Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah, I'm a mine engineer who works out in the middle of nowhere so I don't typically have much to benchmark myself while riding to/from work. Doesn't help that the 500 gets up to the speed limit of 45 in no time, especially compared to my 150cc scooters that I'm jumping from.

New cable seems to be shooting under by 5mph or so compared to gps. Bummer, but better than nothing.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I zip tied a GPS to my first (speedoless) bike once. After that, I just got used to going about the same speed as traffic. It helped that it was a 250cc single from the 70s, and therefore couldn't go much faster than about 70mph downhill on a good day with a tail wind.

I, too, ride a Royal Enfield.

Seriously, how do you only get 17 horsepower out of 500cc?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

Why, with sound lashings of heritage and tradition of course, old chap :britain:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Low compression, low redline, ancient intake and exhaust design. On the plus side, the lower the output of an engine for a given displacement, the less stress it's under, which is good for reliability. Ultra-luxury car manufacturers often take their highest-performance engine and then build a detuned version for their fanciest executive/royalty coach, because that means that while it's "only" producing 400 horsepower instead of 700, it's way overbuilt for the power and so will last almost forever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Geirskogul posted:

Yamaha Exciter 250! (not exactly that one-- mine had dirt bike bars and the exhaust off of a much larger Honda)

1981 Yamaha Exciter 250 by m0t0g0th, on Flickr

14 hilariously puny HP when it was new! Front and rear drum brakes! Crashed like a champ! until I ran it into a car

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 20, 2013

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Dead Pressed posted:

New cable seems to be shooting under by 5mph or so compared to gps. Bummer, but better than nothing.

Ugh. Ride back home after posting this and my tach cable frays out. Haha.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Safety Dance posted:

Yamaha Exciter 250! (not exactly that one-- mine had dirt bike bars and the exhaust off of a much larger Honda)

1981 Yamaha Exciter 250 by m0t0g0th, on Flickr

14 hilariously puny HP when it was new! Front and rear drum brakes! Crashed like a champ! until I ran it into a car

My first bike! Pulled it out of a barn, cleaned the carbs, POR-15'd the tank, removed the rodents nests from behind the headlight and used muffler patch over the rust hole in the exhaust.

Speaking of POR-15'ing tanks…

I'm a dummy who forgot to check the tank on the Ninja 500 I just bought. :smith:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My garage space is moving, so I moved my bikes yesterday. The new space is... crowded. Fortunately I'll be taking my bike apart for head work and various 60k maintenance/inspections at another friend's garage where there's space, light, and heat. I'll need all that.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Crowded eh?

Installed some heat demons on the Harley yesterday.

Suuuuure the same thing could be accomplished for cheaper with a basic switch, but look at this sexy controller.

Install was a success, and they get amazingly warm considering they're going through the bars, grips, gloves, etc. Two challenges popped up which reminded me I should never work on this bike.

1. Drilling a hole in stock bars, which despite the ease of the installation video proved impossible with a hand drill. Pulled the bars (as pictured above) to get them on a drill press, and proceeded to dull out 2 titanium dipped HSS bits, and then went and bought some cobolt bits which actually worked. Stock Harley bars are impressively thick steel... those same titanium dipped bits made short work of my Yamaha bars. Made in 'merica mmmhmmm or something.

2. Pulled the seat and found a taped off orange/white wire that is the appropriate color code of the accessory circuit. The PO must have taken his accessories with him, and had the courtesy to tape off his unused connector. That's nice! Except when I got done wiring with it and went to test the grips it wasn't working out... turned out that wire was completely dead and hooked up to nothing. Had to find a different run buried in the loom and splice to that. All in all about an hour of dicking around for nothing. Thanks PO!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's a nice switch. I run some snowmobile grip heaters with a Radioshack SPCO switch. It's appropriately Buell.

I don't have a picture of the new place, but this is the old garage. Not pictured: R1150R which due to its engine heads takes up way too much room.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Picked up an 81 GL1100 on Sunday for $2,000:

says it has about 1250 miles on it, the PO said that was accurate. He bought it from his dad this spring, the original owner. I think the only useful thing he did was clean the carbs and get it running. He also added some underlighting and an amp, but I don't care for those and will probably take them out.

Last night I replaced the timing belts. They were more brown than black and I think they were original. There was almost no oil in it, so I filled that up and I'll give it a proper oil change this weekend.

The tank also has quite a bit of rust in it. Is that something that I need to fix ASAP, or I can I ride it around for a week or two before I put it in the garage? And what else should I be super concerned with right now?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd check all the bearings (wheel, swingarm pivot, steering bearings), change oil, flush coolant, flush brake fluid, check/replace air filter, and go from there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Pretty much what z3n said.

Also, those tanks are a SUPER bitch to flush due to the location of the two fuel drains and the fact they have mesh screens tac-welded over them.

If it runs, don't touch it. Otherwise, do this:
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/07/gl1000-gas-tank-removal.html

and this:
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-suck-at-painting-seriously.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dutymode posted:

says it has about 1250 miles on it, the PO said that was accurate. He bought it from his dad this spring, the original owner. I think the only useful thing he did was clean the carbs and get it running. He also added some underlighting and an amp, but I don't care for those and will probably take them out.

Last night I replaced the timing belts. They were more brown than black and I think they were original. There was almost no oil in it, so I filled that up and I'll give it a proper oil change this weekend.

The tank also has quite a bit of rust in it. Is that something that I need to fix ASAP, or I can I ride it around for a week or two before I put it in the garage? And what else should I be super concerned with right now?

I want this motorcycle so bad you have no idea

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If it runs, don't touch it.

Does the amount of rust in there affect this decision at all? I think it might be completely lined in rust, but I haven't gotten a very good look. Also, I did not realize I had to disassemble the entire bike to get the tank out. Can I drain it while it's in? If so, what about de-rusting it in the bike? And what about other methods of de-rusting it? I've seen stories about vinegar or other substances doing a good, fast job.

Geirskogul posted:

I want this motorcycle so bad you have no idea

Yea, I've always liked naked goldwings. I've been shopping a for a second gen SV, but I saw this and couldn't help it. I will never have a bike made in the last 3 decades at this rate.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Dutymode posted:

Was the bike being regularly ridden before you bought it? Frankly if you paid $2k for a bike that wasn't ready to ride you got hosed. I've had a tank that looks rusty but doesn't clog carbs. I'd probably ride until until you have problems.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dutymode posted:

We had a GL1100 in the shop recently with a very ugly looking tank, guy had cleaned the carbs and ran it very minimally since then, not even on the rad. When we got in there, the carbs had a lot of rusty poo poo in them again, despite 2 fuel filters in the lines. I'd think about doing something about the tank if it were mine. But getting the tank out on that bike is a nightmare.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

n8r posted:

Was the bike being regularly ridden before you bought it? Frankly if you paid $2k for a bike that wasn't ready to ride you got hosed. I've had a tank that looks rusty but doesn't clog carbs. I'd probably ride until until you have problems.

I think he got it running and started riding it this spring but got run over (not on a motorcycle) and hasn't been able to ride or work since. As for the price, I'm pretty sure I could sell it in a week or two for at least that much, especially in the spring. I see ones with 100k to 150k miles go for more, and the bike generally is very clean. It starts easily and runs smoothly.

I'll probably just ride it around until I decide it's too cold. If I can find a good way to drain the tank in the bike, I might try some sort of tank cleaner.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dutymode posted:

Does the amount of rust in there affect this decision at all? I think it might be completely lined in rust, but I haven't gotten a very good look. Also, I did not realize I had to disassemble the entire bike to get the tank out. Can I drain it while it's in? If so, what about de-rusting it in the bike? And what about other methods of de-rusting it? I've seen stories about vinegar or other substances doing a good, fast job.

Yea, I've always liked naked goldwings. I've been shopping a for a second gen SV, but I saw this and couldn't help it. I will never have a bike made in the last 3 decades at this rate.

If there's a LOT of rust in there, you can't get it out through the tank's fuel lines. The hard lines that run in the tank to the outlet on the side are small and there are mesh filters spot welded over the inlets.

So if there's a lot of loose rust then you can't flush it in place, if it's a lot of surface rust, then I wouldn't gently caress with it.
I would not use vinegar on these tanks, I tried and it caused a lot of crap to become lodged in the tubes.
Also, vinegar does not work quickly by any means.
If you want to use another product, you'd have to buy a shitload (5+gallons) of it to be able to that would be sorta pricey.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

In order to get the rust actually out of the tank you'll have to throw some nuts or a length of chain in there and shake it around to get the flakes out. Otherwise, something like the POR-15 tank repair kit would seal the rust with epoxy, but you still will have to pull the tank to coat it correctly.

How do the fuel filters look?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Drain the oil so it doesn't go everywhere, put the bike on a hoist, haul it up towards the garage ceiling, and flip the whole thing over in midair like an acrobat on a trapeze. Then you can drain it through the gas cap. Duh.

Just remember to wear a hard hat.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I

may

be

retarded

EDIT: Spot for my insurance papers:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 27, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's wonderful

tjones
May 13, 2005
It is awesome. I love it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I can't top that, but I put my chinskirt in. It's getting cold!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Nevermind sorry.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 27, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Permanent helmet chin skirts here. Can't remove them, but on modular helmets they are no problem anyway.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Safety Dance posted:

I can't top that, but I put my chinskirt in. It's getting cold!

My commute to work in the middle of summer is 50 degrees in the morning. When it got down to sub-40's I ended up having to buy a non-shark helmet just so I could get a chin curtain option. I envy your decadent lifestyle.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been using my neck cover thingy for a while now. It's only been in the mid 50's in the morning but I hate having a cold neck/face when I'd already rather be sleeping. It works well but it's a pain in the rear end trying to get it to fit anywhere beyond my helmet strap (like covering my chin) without it making my helmet fit funny and probably increasing the chances that it will fly off if I crash.
Have any of you tried one of those neoprene helmet skirts, like so http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-Helmet-Skirt-Noise-Wind-Reducer-Motorcycle-Scooter-Quad-Bike-/290686634484 ?
If these are decent I could skip trying to cover anything but my neck with the cover.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I wear one of these on cold days and it works pretty well. Tuck it under the collar and pull it over your nose before you put the helmet on and it works wonders for keeping your neck warm. Haven't had a chance to try it in truly freezing temperatures yet, coldest it's been is about 8C since I got my license.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Gave the old hotness (VTR250) a wash, tried to bring the chain back from the dead (not sure I succeeded, it was pretty notchy), and rode it to the mechanic for a roadworthy slip so I can re-register it and get it ready for sale.

Holy gently caress what a janky bike to ride it is now that I'm used to the Street Triple R. Tiny, gutless, not particularly comfortable, lovely brakes... Loving the Streety and I can see how you get used to the power and speed. I gave the VTR a good squirt off the lights and it just felt like it was going nowhere fast. Of course, the flipside is that the Streety is a bit of a chore to keep at suburban speed limits.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Finished the seat and put the new look together.

The cold temps kinda hosed up my paint on the seat, even keeping the parts and paint inside before spraying and putting them back inside to dry/cure. Might redo the seat with appliance paint when it warms up slightly in a couple days. Then I can let it cure indoors all winter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Man, just needs a touch of wiring cleanup and it'll be about as nice as cafe racers get. Well done :)

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
You forgot to replace the tool box under the seat.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's looking great Tamir Lenk! I love following your process photos. :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I brought it back home, after 2 months and 18 days. I also changed the coolant! I think the old stuff was original. The new coolant was neon green and the old...well:

Kinda hard to see but it was darker than beer bottle green.

Also, I was tired of my boots scuffing the clearcoat and sticker off both side fairings, and I had some masking tape lying around.

Also, even though I haven't ridden for ages, I wasn't as rusty as I thought I'd be :woop:

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Didn't give it the Full Down Low, but cleaned out my carbs including the blocked pilot jets.

(Pilot jet cleanout tool made from High E guitar string and wad of painters tape. :v: )

Almost all the parts are back on the bike, just waiting for my POR15 tank repair kit to finish up.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I ascended into full squidom: rimtape.

Somehow I developed Parkinson's during the application and the tape ended up kind of asymmetrical. It doesn't look so bad from afar. I like it despite its flaws; it has character.

Next up on the docket is to remove my rearsets and kickstand and have them powder coated sometime early next year when the temperatures drop to below freezing.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

Man, just needs a touch of wiring cleanup and it'll be about as nice as cafe racers get. Well done :)

Yeah, I've reworked those wires a few times, but getting them entirely out of sight eludes me. Mainly because the best way to fit the R/R (a series version off a late model CBR) puts the terminals out and to the left, so the wires cannot really hide on that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Dellikose posted:

You forgot to replace the tool box under the seat.

I have some (but not much) space for tools, spare fuses, etc. in the electrics tray under the seat.