Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Section Z posted:

Considering the "value" of Keys has literally doubled

This isn't true. Keys are $2.49 in the store and $1.85 in the secondary cash markets. That's remained steady. If you're talking about the value of metal relative to keys, it's shifting because people want keys, not metal. The metal supply grows every day with drops, the key supply only grows when $2.49 is spent for a new key.

Linkletter fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

^ And that key isn't used for opening a crate, which is probably most of them.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

Reiley posted:

I made a new wildstyle spray

I might end up making a bunch and just start rotating them around, they're so much fun to play with.

Reiley can you make a spray for me?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Linkletter posted:

This isn't true. Keys are $2.49 in the store and $1.85 in the secondary cash markets. That's remained steady. If you're talking about the value of metal relative to keys, it's shifting because people want keys, not metal. The metal supply grows every day with drops, the key supply only grows when $2.49 is spent for a new key.
A little over 3 (maybe 4 at most?) refined around the time I was talking about, compared to over 6 refined people are asking for now. But then I've always had issues with math and never tracked the Real Dollars values so whatever, it's not "double" it's just over 6 instead of 3-4ish like it was then. Or my not tracking Metal to cents means it's only inflated around double in pretend items while "It's not really all that much actually" in legitimate currency.

EDIT: vvv It's good of you to keep your promises before you die.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 27, 2013

Enigmatica
May 22, 2007
The interesting part is that I promised this guy earlier I would airshot him. He freaked out when it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlkRSPaia1k

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Section Z posted:

A little over 3 (maybe 4 at most?) refined around the time I was talking about, compared to over 6 refined people are asking for now. But then I've always had issues with math and never tracked the Real Dollars values so whatever, it's not "double" it's just over 6 instead of 3-4ish like it was then. Or my not tracking Metal to cents means it's only inflated around double in pretend items while "It's not really all that much actually" in legitimate currency.

EDIT: vvv It's good of you to keep your promises before you die.

Keys cost about twice as much in Imaginary Useless TF2 Metal, but they're still the same in real-world dollars. It's not that the value of keys has doubled, it's the value of metal (and therefore weapons and craft hats) which has halved.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Keys cost about twice as much in Imaginary Useless TF2 Metal, but they're still the same in real-world dollars. It's not that the value of keys has doubled, it's the value of metal (and therefore weapons and craft hats) which has halved.

I was about to post this. "Real-world" money is also a bit of a misnomer, because Steam Wallet money is worth less than Paypal money. What's odd is that keys have stayed the same price at the Mann Co. store through everything. I'd like to see what happens if they raised or drop the price.

The Hatconomy is a wonderful way to learn how economics works. It's fun watching how developments like store hats being craftable affects market prices.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The Hatconomy is a wonderful way to learn how economics works. It's fun watching how developments like store hats being craftable affects market prices.

Funniest thing about that was people trying to sell off certain uncraftable hats from before the update as super rare ultra collector items 5 buds please.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

qnqnx posted:

Now try splitting time between all nine classes. And it didn't help that I didn't play TF2 at all for most of 2012.

Or also for making you realize that your playstile is seriously lopsided. For example, I have over 2600 kills in my GL but under 1000 in my Sticky Launcher because of a period of intensive demoknighting. And also maybe because I'm not that good at predicting with the Sticky Launcher, even my LnL and Eyelander have more kills than it.

If you're trying to use your stranges to compare loadout efficiency it's important that you either use the tested weapons as a set (keep a set of unique weapons around, or buy multiple sets of stranges) or keep detailed track of your killcounts when you switch out.

I took a LnL all the way to Hale's Own with sticky/PP. Took about 1k hours of (all-class) game playtime, ballpark estimate. I'm considering resetting it at some point to get some parts and a strange sticky (got a PP since). I'd be really interested to see how it does in buildings destroyed compared to all stock.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 28, 2013

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Where the hell did Valve's economist minion go, anyway?

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
I've never really put that much time into demoman, generally preferring to play the more "all-round" classes like soldier, scout and to a lesser extent pyro. While I can output decent damage with pipes and stickies, I'm nowhere near consistent with either, and my sticky jumping could do with a bit of work too. Seeing what some people at the top of the game can do with demoman is pretty inspiring though, so I'm planning to put a lot more hours into the class and see how much I can improve.

Time to get good at demonstration man. :clint:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm really friggin lovely at demoman. I'm pretty proficient at soldier but demoman just kind of eludes me.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Zero! posted:

I've never really put that much time into demoman, generally preferring to play the more "all-round" classes like soldier, scout and to a lesser extent pyro. While I can output decent damage with pipes and stickies, I'm nowhere near consistent with either, and my sticky jumping could do with a bit of work too. Seeing what some people at the top of the game can do with demoman is pretty inspiring though, so I'm planning to put a lot more hours into the class and see how much I can improve.

Time to get good at demonstration man. :clint:

Welcome to the world, dude. Demo really is a great class, and even more when you master it.
You can easily turn a game around with well placed explosives, and you also can switch to LnL Demoknight, it's really fun. By the way, it's easily my favorite class. It improves my aim, and I can easily finish someone off if I need to reload. I'm not totally useless either, as the LnL is deadly against most Engie nests.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Anyone have sugggestions on a misc. that goes well with the Hurt Locher?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm liking the Dark Age Defender with it. Your mileage may vary of course.

Although to be fair the balloonicorn goes with everything :colbert:.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Anyone have sugggestions on a misc. that goes well with the Hurt Locher?

He actually doesn't have many items that aren't silly Pirate or old Scottish references, the Hurt Locher is the first actual demolitions man misc he's ever gotten.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Reiley posted:

He actually doesn't have many items that aren't silly Pirate or old Scottish references, the Hurt Locher is the first actual demolitions man misc he's ever gotten.

I was hoping there was one that I missed :(

I guess I'll use the Macho Mann

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I really want HHHH to be available year-round now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Reiley posted:

I really hope he gets another bomb disposal misc to go with it eventually. Same with the Pyro getting another firefighter misc to go with the turnout gear. drat, those two items were so good.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

I really hope he gets another bomb disposal misc to go with it eventually. Same with the Pyro getting another firefighter misc to go with the turnout gear. drat, those two items were so good.

They at least have the Scotch Bonnet and the Brigade Helm to go with those miscs. Not quite the same as an additional misc in the theme, but it's something...

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
So valve didn't even do a halloween event this year?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

illiniguy01 posted:

It will probably start Tuesday and go through into November instead of starting last Thursday and ending on Halloween.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

I think the biggest issue with it these days is there's so much metal, and nothing to use it on. It only gets burned when new hats are put in for people trying to craft low numbers.

This is the big thing I'm pretty sure.

There's definitely lots of stupid arbitrary made-up horseshit elements to the TF2 economy but the price of metal makes sense to me. More and more of it gets made every week and there's not a lot worth spending it on that takes it back out of the economy. So the supply continues to increase and the demand is limited to its use as a low-tier currency and speculative item for hat barons.

edit: If anyone's curious I managed to trade out that Miami Nights Flipped Trilby for two hats: a Stormy Storm Liquidator's Lid and a Purple Energy Mining Light. If you go by trade site values, I think I took a slight bath, but they're hats I love with effects I love on classes that previously didn't have anything I was really satisfied with. So hurray! Now I don't have to move that ugly-as-sin heap of poo poo that was inexplicably worth more than any of my much cooler hats!

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 28, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

^^^There's a mod somehwere that fixes the Sniper glasses bodygroup, because we all know that Valve will never fix that.

Adding to the "the TF2 economy is totally bonkers" discussion, have been in a somewhat steady decline since May, now crashing to 17. SOme say that it is "adjusting for the key prices", but I'm going to say it's a result of panic sales, they never "adjusted for key price" anything else.
Also, the "I'm just reporting the real sale price, now see all those cherry picked tf2outpost trades" is a piss poor excuse and voting matters poo poo all.

At least keys kind of stabilized, they slowed down since the high 5 ref and now actually went down a fraction of a scrap to 6.11.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Nice! I love the storm cloud effect and the mining light hat, if I were ever to get another unusual it would probably be a combination of the two or some type of storm cloud Pyro hat.

illiniguy01 posted:

Hopefully they do (they will), I remember having a lot of fun with the Merasmus event and murdering Huntsman Snipers all desperate to get the goofy skull hat/zombie skins that nobody actually wore or kept after the event :allears: Airblasting multiple Snipers into the boss/death traps/bombsplosions per life was good fun while it lasted.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

qnqnx posted:

^^^There's a mod somehwere that fixes the Sniper glasses bodygroup, because we all know that Valve will never fix that.

I figured there might be but I've not been able to find it. Any hints?

Enigmatica
May 22, 2007
I was invited to a Steel Highlander group as a backup. I was invite to sub tonight and was told I did well. I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I really want HHHH to be available year-round now.

We might keep the funhavers server running up during the week - it'd be just a normal TF2 server when there's no gimmick event going, and have halloween items enabled.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Enigmatica posted:

I was invited to a Steel Highlander group as a backup. I was invite to sub tonight and was told I did well. I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Steel is a fine place to cut your teeth.

Enigmatica
May 22, 2007
I was invited to sub. Then I had to install mumble, the map, and connect. Mumble wasn't properly configured so I played without sound and we still won. My friend was shocked that I did so well without communication, and the group leader said everybody was impressed I was doing what they were suggesting. It sounds like I'll be playing pyro.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Highlander's a lot of fun, and Pyro's a fun class. Enjoy!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I feel like there is actual, real world money to be made in making a TF2 stock market/auction house. Traders would like it because it lets the ~invisible hand~ declare prices instead of a 14 year old named Bradyn with aspergers, and if you included some kind of dollars to FunBux system you could rake in money from idiots trading pixels on the internet. I would do it myself if it weren't for my complete lack of relevant skills and the fear that it's probably violating a bunch of SEC rules.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Reiley posted:

It will probably start Tuesday and go through into November instead of starting last Thursday and ending on Halloween.

I'm kind of annoyed we didn't get any Halloween crates. Usually those are dropping for about a week before the update hits.

I know we just got 2 community crates, but damnit I was expecting new Halloween-themed unusuals.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm kind of annoyed we didn't get any Halloween crates. Usually those are dropping for about a week before the update hits.

I know we just got 2 community crates, but damnit I was expecting new Halloween-themed unusuals.

I'm pretty sure there will be halloween crates.

Valve posted:

you can show that respect by designing and uploading scary workshop items for this year's upcoming Halloween event. We're only going to ship items marked with a "Halloween 2013" tag, so remember to tag your holiday-themed items when you submit them. (You can re-upload old Halloween items that weren't accepted last time and mark them with the "Halloween 2013" tag for reconsideration.)

Also remember that anything you submit with this tag will be restricted to Halloween and Full Moons. And because it's restricted to Halloween and Full Moons, get creative! The tonal restrictions we normally ask our Workshoppers to observe with TF2 items don't really apply to a holiday where wizards and bomb books regularly attack from glowing skull islands, so if there's anything crazy you've been itching to make, now's the time.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm really friggin lovely at demoman. I'm pretty proficient at soldier but demoman just kind of eludes me.

There's a lot of things people can do to get better with demo, but here's one that helped me:

At medium-ish to medium-longish ranges, to get used to using the one-two combo of shooting a sticky at someone and then following up with a sticky that you detonate on them mid-flight. You'll tear through light classes and bring everything else but heavies down to low health.

Also, make use of priming your stickies to set up this combo - as well as using the priming ability to launch further in general, as it can let you reach surprisingly far.

Oh, also - try making use of your pipes and your stickies together sometimes. As in, just about as you set off your stickies, you are also hitting someone with pipes. In addition to being handy against heavies and overhealed enemies, this works particularly well against certain engineer nests when you need to stack burst-damage on a sentry that's being repaired, or when you can't reload your stickies in time during an uber to set them at a sentry.

Now would be a good time for demopros to chime in and give a rundown on how to play the class well. I've gotten a lot better at the class lately, and am eager to cement that with learning more from way more experienced folks.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 28, 2013

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Did chemistry sets stop dropping or did they turn them into a rare drop? I got 2 on the first days and haven't seen any other one since.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Petiso posted:

Did chemistry sets stop dropping or did they turn them into a rare drop? I got 2 on the first days and haven't seen any other one since.

They still drop and they've always been a rare drop. You just got lucky.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Spacedad posted:

There's a lot of things people can do to get better with demo, but here's one that helped me:

Demoman is all about knowing where to stand, and when to stand there. Hell, you really don't have to know why at all, just position yourself so that you are able to do as much damage as possible while receiving the least amount of damage in return.

Granted, pipes are a difficult projectile to get good at, but they are sort of a side-act compared to the strength of the sticky launcher.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Spacedad posted:

We might keep the funhavers server running up during the week - it'd be just a normal TF2 server when there's no gimmick event going, and have halloween items enabled.
Server's been open since Friday for anyone to join. At this point I might as well put up a thread in PGS to advertise the server as another goon friendly option. Something as comp as Rutas and casual like 2f2f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
So I decided to hit the "be a coach" button and put on my best tech support voice to point some newbies in the right direction. One dude disregarded my advice completely and closed the session. How rude, I thought and decided to join the other team and give this scallywag a good sound spanking.

This proved to be easier than I ever could have dreamed due to the wallhack valve saw fit to bestow upon me. I can trust goons not to abuse this fantastic new intentional feature, right?

• Locked thread