Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blacktoll posted:

I don't know why people call Lion an aspie when considering the incident between him and Russ. Russ is like having an alcoholic degenerate bigger brother who beats your rear end for getting to the only Xbox first. Laughs about it then gets really mad when you hit him back.

Bjorn posted:

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT WOMEN. YOU KNOW WHY HE HATED... WHAT'S HIS NAME, THE DARK ANGELS GUY. THAT GEEK, WHAT WAS HIS NAME AGAIN?"

The Rune Priest, now resigned to this being the second worst Bjorn story-time ever, answered, "He was Lion El'Jonson, mighty Bjorn."

"YEAH, loving LION EL'JONSON, HE WAS A DECENT MAN. HE AND LEMAN HATED EACH OTHER BECAUSE LION EL' ENJOYED BOOKS. YEAH, THAT'S IT. FIRST TIME THEY EVER MET LION WAS READING A BOOK, LEMAN WALKED IN AND SHOUTED 'HEY, I'M LOOKING FOR MY BROTHER PRIMARCH, ALL I SEE IS A BOOK-READING PUSSY'. THEN HELD HIS HAND OUT TO BE BRO-FISTED. NO ONE DID, SO HE SUCKER-PUNCHED LION TO LOOK TOUGH."

Again, only silence, this time broken by the sound of an ale tankard being dropped from numb fingers.

"YEAH, THE GUY WAS A oval office. WHEN THEY SHOWED HIM THE SCHEMATICS FOR THE LEMAN RUSS TANK, YOU KNOW WHAT HE SAID? HE SAID 'MAKE THE CANNON BIGGER... LIKE MY COCK!' HE DEMANDED THE SCHEMATICS FOR THE PREMIERE TANK OF THE IMPERIAL GUARD BE ALTERED PURELY SO HE COULD MAKE A DICK JOKE!"

I should clarify, I do not find most of 1d4chan that funny, but the Bjorn page owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Russ is human too. Etc.

There are no wolves on Fenris.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The most compelling argument for the "Sigmar is a Primarch" theory I've heard so far is that it's awesome as all hell.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Geisladisk posted:

The most compelling argument for the "Sigmar is a Primarch" theory I've heard so far is that it's awesome as all hell.

It does totally fit the mood of the earlier years of the 40k setting, back when that was a valid theory. And I think GW threw out a couple hints at it, but this would've been back in the 1st edition or original Rogue Trader universe and has long since been dropped as something that could happen.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/deathwatch-talon-and-the-rise-of-the-weekender/

Talon of Horus should be done this weekend. Given his other comments, I think this means the editing and revision stage, so then it rolls to print. Also, some more interesting plastic mans comments and full confirmation of what he has already indicated the first 3 of the series will be about.

Plus some cool fan art of his characters

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One Legged Cat posted:

It does totally fit the mood of the earlier years of the 40k setting, back when that was a valid theory. And I think GW threw out a couple hints at it, but this would've been back in the 1st edition or original Rogue Trader universe and has long since been dropped as something that could happen.

Didn't the Albion campaign back in the day have the winning sides find magic items that were almost totally spot on descriptions of Imperial equipment like power armor, flamers, etc?

Also, Sigmar's story (fall from the sky, kick rear end, unite humans, build empire, leave abruptly) fits the Primarch's story to a tee.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The hilarious part is that if he were a primarch then he'd necessarily have to be one of the ones Who Shall Not Be Named (i.e. the Emperor totally had him killed).

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

The hilarious part is that if he were a primarch then he'd necessarily have to be one of the ones Who Shall Not Be Named (i.e. the Emperor totally had him killed).

Or they never found him. :tinfoil:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fried Chicken posted:

That picture of First Claw (the art, I mean, not the minis) is way off from how I expected them. I know the Night Lords' thing is not letting Chaos corrupt them as much, but they look way too pretty. Compared to my mental images, I mean. In the end ADB apparently likes it and that's good enough for me :shrug:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Are there any primarchs who we don't know the homeworld for?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Alpharius.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Fried Chicken posted:

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/deathwatch-talon-and-the-rise-of-the-weekender/

Talon of Horus should be done this weekend. Given his other comments, I think this means the editing and revision stage, so then it rolls to print. Also, some more interesting plastic mans comments and full confirmation of what he has already indicated the first 3 of the series will be about.

Oh man he says he going to be playing in some Deathwatch game with his friends. I'd love to see a that, I'd expect that it would be really creative.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Also, Sigmar's story (fall from the sky, kick rear end, unite humans, build empire, leave abruptly) fits the Primarch's story to a tee.
Where do you guys get this "fall from the sky" stuff? He was born, he didn't just crash into the earth.

quote:

The night of his birth was marked with the appearance of a twin-tailed comet, which the human tribes took as a sign of great portent from the gods.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

berzerkmonkey posted:

Where do you guys get this "fall from the sky" stuff? He was born, he didn't just crash into the earth.

No you see, what really happened is that the midwife was holding his "mom's" new kid aloft just as it was born, then suddenly there was this huge blast and when his "parents" came to, there was a bigass hole in the roof, a smoking crater where the midwife was, and a baby lying in the middle of the crater. They just decided to roll with it.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Pyrolocutus posted:

No you see, what really happened is that the midwife was holding his "mom's" new kid aloft just as it was born, then suddenly there was this huge blast and when his "parents" came to, there was a bigass hole in the roof, a smoking crater where the midwife was, and a baby lying in the middle of the crater. They just decided to roll with it.

And now I can't help imagining the Emperor looking suspiciously like Marlon Brando as the barbarian Kent family takes home their new son.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Deofuta posted:

And now I can't help imagining the Emperor looking suspiciously like Marlon Brando as the barbarian Kent family takes home their new son.

In his younger days? Yeah, I could see it.

There are a few pictures of Brando's grandson that pop up when you google him, and wow does that guy look like the pictures of the Emperor. Might just be the long hair though.

I mean Abaddon is supposed to look like Clancy Brown (and basically be the Kurgan)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So I'm about a third of the way through Vulkan Lives, and so far, it's not a bad book at all. Is there a (spoiler free, please) reason to dislike it coming up, or is it just because it's a thing to hate Nick Kyme? I put off reading it because of the griping, but I don't see the fuss...

Also, I had to go up to the local firehouse to check to see if some PC profiles were set up correctly, and lo and behold - what do I see sitting on the captains' desk?

The acting captain is a fellow warham! I geeked out with him for a few minutes and found someone to take the huge box of BL books I have collecting dust in my basement. :smug:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

One Legged Cat posted:

I don't think the Primarchs were there in the Rogue Trader period. Space Marines weren't even warrior-monks yet.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

berzerkmonkey posted:

So I'm about a third of the way through Vulkan Lives, and so far, it's not a bad book at all. Is there a (spoiler free, please) reason to dislike it coming up, or is it just because it's a thing to hate Nick Kyme? I put off reading it because of the griping, but I don't see the fuss...

I felt the same way for the most part. I've not read Nick Kyme's Salamanders series, or anything by him, save "Vulkan Lives". I don't remember what happens when, but if you are a third of the way book, you've basically finished the book, since the same stuff happens over and over and over. It just ends up being boring. There's at least one reveal I remember, and that was sort of a game changer, so I won't spoil it, but the whole book leads up to it and it doesn't seem worth it. So, it's not a terrible book, just repetitious.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ah - ok. I haven't read the Salamanders Trilogy either, mostly due to the bad reviews here.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Beyond the reasons Impaired Casing gives, I thought Vulkan Lives was also horrible due to very shallow characterisation and some truly awful prose.

edit: Especially Kurze, what a missed opportunity to explore that character's psychology, but instead all we get is "HEHEHE I'M SO MEAN HEHE!"

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah these are the same complaints I have with what I remember of Kyme's writing, his characterization didn't grip me, I felt some parts were just plain boring or repetitious and some other aspects just plain unbelievable or stupid. I managed to read the initial Salamanders book and some short stories in some of the Heresy/40k collections.

For what it's worth though I think the first Salamanders book had some interesting Sci-Fi/40k ideas in it if I'm remembering correctly, the execution was lacking however as mentioned above. He's probably better at codex/background work rather than straight-up novels?

Also I've ordered Pariah and Unremembered Empire online after hearing good reviews only to realise soon after that both aren't even available in paperback format yet,with a mid-November release for Pariah and a Feb 2014 release for UE. Curse my aversion of the ebook format! :argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aries posted:

Beyond the reasons Impaired Casing gives, I thought Vulkan Lives was also horrible due to very shallow characterisation and some truly awful prose.

edit: Especially Kurze, what a missed opportunity to explore that character's psychology, but instead all we get is "HEHEHE I'M SO MEAN HEHE!"

Seriously, in Unremembered Empire, Kurze wrecking poo poo for like maybe 30 pages did more to characterize him than Kyme did in his entire book. He's basically like Batman and the Joker in one person.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Aries posted:

In all fairness though, the book isn't about Kurze. Yeah, he's a James Bond villian (so far) but I didn't expect a book titled Vulkan Lives to be a deep character study of Kurze and his motivations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

JerryLee posted:

That picture of First Claw (the art, I mean, not the minis) is way off from how I expected them. I know the Night Lords' thing is not letting Chaos corrupt them as much, but they look way too pretty. Compared to my mental images, I mean. In the end ADB apparently likes it and that's good enough for me :shrug:

Granted I'm only partway through Blood Reaver and haven't even started Void Stalker (so please don't spoil me!), but from reading the Night Lords short stories from the HH series they really don't come off at all as being Chaos corrupted. Like, it really seems Kruze was already on his way to being a rebel long before the Heresy even started and joined with Horus because it seemed like the easiest way to troll the Emperor. 'Prince of Crows' is a fantastic book for seeing how Kruze and the dudes closest to him tended to act and think (they're all loving psychos except for Kruze, who loving hates everything including his own Legion). Nothing beats the main character of 'Prince of Crows' waking up in prison and asking "What happened to Kruze?" and the other Night Lords reply, "Oh, The Lion beat his rear end so he ran away...again." and the main character is like, "LOL. of course he did, did we expect anything less?".

In any case, they always struck me as hardcore gangsters that were kind of like "Whoa man! That's going too far!" whenever someone did something particularly Chaos-y.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Granted I'm only partway through Blood Reaver and haven't even started Void Stalker (so please don't spoil me!), but from reading the Night Lords short stories from the HH series they really don't come off at all as being Chaos corrupted. Like, it really seems Kruze was already on his way to being a rebel long before the Heresy even started and joined with Horus because it seemed like the easiest way to troll the Emperor. 'Prince of Crows' is a fantastic book for seeing how Kruze and the dudes closest to him tended to act and think (they're all loving psychos except for Kruze, who loving hates everything including his own Legion). Nothing beats the main character of 'Prince of Crows' waking up in prison and asking "What happened to Kruze?" and the other Night Lords reply, "Oh, The Lion beat his rear end so he ran away...again." and the main character is like, "LOL. of course he did, did we expect anything less?".

In any case, they always struck me as hardcore gangsters that were kind of like "Whoa man! That's going too far!" whenever someone did something particularly Chaos-y.

The captain of the ship shares his body with a Chaos demon and Uzas is a Khornate berserker. I mean, they're not the Death Guard or anything, but still...

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 30, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They aren't corrupted in the way that the Word Bearers are - they don't have horns sprouting out of their heads, wings popping out, and spontaneous daemon possession. They are corrupted in the sense that there is something wrong with them in that they are all sociopaths and murderers. Even Kurze, in his more lucid moments, realized that Nostromo could produce nothing but evil.

The Night Lords as a whole aren't dedicated to any particular power, and actually tend to avoid the wholesale craziness of some of the other chapters.

Corruption takes many forms. :commissar:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The captain of the ship shares his body with a Chaos demon and Uzas is a Khornate berserker. I mean, they're not the Death Guard or anything, but still...

Oh, I'm totally aware of how they are being slowly ruined by the combined effects of spending so much time in The Eye of Terror, and generally having to make deals with demonic-things. But many of them seem to be sickened by those changes and in Soul Hunter members of First Claw actively discuss killing other Legion members that are starting to turn.

I'm mostly thinking about the HH Night Lords, and how they were already on the wrong side of the Imperium's wrath without having to bring any demons (or the "Lodges" for that matter) into the mix. I mean, The Word Bearers intentionally corrupted other Legions, but the Night Lords were already hosed up even when everything else was going right in the galaxy.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 30, 2013

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Mechafunkzilla posted:

However, both of those characters are reviled by the other members of the legion. I think that attitude presents a sharp divide between them and other legions such as the world eaters, death guard, and black legion, who openly embrace Chaos and the effects it brings.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Deofuta posted:

However, both of those characters are reviled by the other members of the legion. I think that attitude presents a sharp divide between them and other legions such as the world eaters, death guard, and black legion, who openly embrace Chaos and the effects it brings.

I wrote a big reply on this subject a few times then deleted it, to summarise:

The Night Lords are massive hypocrites, most people's perception of them is warped by Talos' views of the legion as something it never was. The Night Lords are as corrupt as everybody else, they're just in denial.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Fellblade posted:

The Night Lords are massive hypocrites, most people's perception of them is warped by Talos' views of the legion as something it never was. The Night Lords are as corrupt as everybody else, they're just in denial.

I think it is certainly mixed. While Talos' view of the legion was indeed more idealized than the reality, it probably holds a facet of truth in certain aspects, particularly when it comes to attitudes towards corruption. They may bear the brunt of the corruption, and use it to their advantages, but many still loath it regardless. Now whether their intentions matter to the onlooker is up to them, but I tend to put some stock into it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I like the end of Lord of the Night where Kreig Acerbus shows up as a full-fledged daemon prince, beats up the angsty main character and calls him a dumbass baby.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The only rejection of chaos within the Night Lords is that which leads into losing themselves, and they tend towards avoiding dabbling into warp powers or negotiating with daemons in an effort to dodge that risk - but they're all evil psychopaths, and that's as far as their prejudice extends. For instance, while unnerved by the Raptors, they still treat them like fellow Night Lords even heavily warp mutated as they are, while Uzas is looked down upon because of his unpredictability and the Exalted only because of his excesses and because they can tell changes going on (though they don't suspect is actually a daemon wearing the body, else they'd have outright killed him).

In this, they're on a very similar footing with the Iron Warriors, while the Alpha and Black Legions also seek to avoid falling into the pit trap of being playthings of chaos, but will actively seek it to use as another tool in furthering their goals.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fellblade posted:

Well, they're corrupted but only grudgingly so - usually by accident or as a tool for power, instead of enthusiastically like the other legions. It's essentially the same outcome, but it's a little worse because they don't like it and just don't see any other choice.

Or, if you want to take the psychopath/pseudo-psychopath angle, they hate being beholden to others or controlled by others.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 30, 2013

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cream_Filling posted:

Or, if you want to take the psychopath/pseudo-psychopath angle, they hate being beholden to others or controlled by others.

I thought that was pretty straight forward about the Night Lords. :shrug:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Nephilm posted:

The only rejection of chaos within the Night Lords is that which leads into losing themselves, and they tend towards avoiding dabbling into warp powers or negotiating with daemons in an effort to dodge that risk - but they're all evil psychopaths, and that's as far as their prejudice extends. For instance, while unnerved by the Raptors, they still treat them like fellow Night Lords even heavily warp mutated as they are, while Uzas is looked down upon because of his unpredictability and the Exalted only because of his excesses and because they can tell changes going on (though they don't suspect is actually a daemon wearing the body, else they'd have outright killed him).

In this, they're on a very similar footing with the Iron Warriors, while the Alpha and Black Legions also seek to avoid falling into the pit trap of being playthings of chaos, but will actively seek it to use as another tool in furthering their goals.

I think that covers exactly what I was saying, they work fine with the Raptors even though they are massively corrupted just because they are Night Lords. If they saw the same mutation and behaviour in another Legion they (well, Talos) would be getting all preachy about how the other legions have degenerated so much during The Long War.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Has there been anything about Abnetts next Gaunts Ghosts book? I thought it was supposed to be out in October. But i can't even find mention of it on the site anymore.

Almost all the gaunts ghosts stuff is oddly missing from the BL Site:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/Gaunts-Ghosts

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Has there been anything about Abnetts next Gaunts Ghosts book? I thought it was supposed to be out in October. But i can't even find mention of it on the site anymore.

Almost all the gaunts ghosts stuff is oddly missing from the BL Site:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/Gaunts-Ghosts

I swear there was a third omnibus at least, though it's been a while since I read about the Ghosts? Speaking of which is Salvation's Reach worth the read? I've got the Emperor's Gift (allegedly) coming in the mail and wouldn't mind reading some Ghosts after that.

Possible scenario; Dan's making a break from writing licensed 40k fiction, trying to have the "Dan-iverse" officially recognized as a new franchise :getin:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
You can still find the books if you search for them. Ghostmaker only appears if you explicitly search for it. (Not even Gaunt's Ghosts cuts it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Read, somewhat recently:

Ahriman: Exile. Something about French's writing doesn't quite scratch the itch for me, but I'm liking that we're getting the story of one of the most powerful CSM characters out there right from his 'lowest' point, and I hope a sequel's coming along. If this turns into a multi-book series, then French's handling of later developments, with Ahriman becoming the figure he is in present-day 40k, will ultimately determine how good it fits into it as a whole.

Battle of the Fang. Good: Bjorn. Specifically, the interactions between Bjorn and the chapter serf who serves as one of the main POVs. Bad: Felt like all the other Wolves were one-note, and it was disappointing when the Great Wolf didn't get his poo poo wrecked when he attacked the planet Magnus was camping out on, as that'd have made the defenders seem a bit more heroic by comparison, rather than needing someone painted rather clearly as a big moronic musclehead to come save them. Maybe I like the CSM too much. I'll never fully appreciate something in which they get so thoroughly trashed. :v:

The Grey Knights Omnibus. First one was great, gives an awesome showing of just what goes into bringing down a Daemon Prince and has some very good 'hero' moments towards the end -- any given scene, portrayed, was 40k as gently caress. Second one was neat, if middling. Third one was utterly wretched. For gently caress's sake, Counter, how do you make a daemon-planet so goddamn dull?

Though they're about the same Chapter, Counter's books and ADB's Emperor's Gift don't quite compare. Alaric and Hyperion are exceedingly different characters with very different mindsets, both convincing enough for what they are, but Alaric's stories are more episodic "vs. Chaos" deals, while Hyperion's was more about a 'neutral' perspective on one of 40k's most infamous historical events. Despite my disdain for Hammer of Daemons, they complement each other well enough.

Angel Exterminatus and Betrayer, now that they're out in bookstores in normal paperback size (gently caress you and your marketing, BL). AE was neat, it's cool that they were exploring the backstory of the Eye of Terror, Fulgrim is ridiculous, and that's probably how it should be. As for Betrayer: I sincerely hope Lotara sticks around, her actions/reactions to everything are World Eater as gently caress despite not being a legionnaire, and frankly, if anyone could become a Khornate Daemon Prince(ss) purely through naval exploits, that's it. As far as Angron and Kharn go, that last scene may be the most :smith: thing in HH yet (and it was wonderful).

Also, The Butcher's Nails audio drama, off the shelf in a local game store: Sets up the events in Betrayer nicely, though the voice work wasn't very impressive (exactly why is Kharn Russian, again?)

Now reading Ravenor. Oh my god, this is goofy as hell. Ravenor's squad are pure cartoons, and somehow Abnett is making this all work. The Commissar Cain books are to The Flashman Papers as Ravenor is to The Venture Bros.

Outside of those, I was eyeballing McNiell's Adeptus Mechanicus books, starting with Priests of Mars. Heard it ended unsatisfyingly, but now that the sequel is out, considering giving it a go. Anyone have any impressions on it?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 31, 2013