Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
So between this article saying

quote:

While it is fun to shoot in survival games, it’s also fun to split into teams and think about ways to overcome enemies and strategize, which I believe is just as fun. That’s the kind of play we’re aiming for while making Metal Gear Solid V.

and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMLqp-1A2s stating an untranslated Hideradio podcast said you can bring a companion on missions, I'm getting the idea that co-op will make a return. :getin: Just hopefully this time it's not a necessity for some bosses and just an excuse to gently caress around with your friends in the desert.

That brings me back to a pictures of Quiet's actress in full BDU armed with an assault rifle being scanned that was tweeted by Kojima months ago. Maybe she'll be one of our potential co-op buddies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well Kojima did say that he liked the co-op aspect of Peace Walker, and co-op was easily the very best thing about Peace Walker, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you could play through certain campaign missions with friends. That would be awesome.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
That sounds rad but I wanna be able to pick my guy's code name this time, ideally from a two-part list of components. COWARD SHARK

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
They have to be dark and vengeful to fit the theme. No more "Giant Panda"; say hello to "Schadenfreude Tapir."

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Punished Otaku

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

HANDSOME STRANGER.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Undercooked Beef.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

A Moron

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Something Awful

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
No because I don't want to run into tons of people online named "Pretty Pony" or some poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
But at least you could choke those people. Choking is my favorite part about MGSOnline

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

-_xXx-=RaInBoWdAsHr_666=-xXx_- is online.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

But at least you could choke those people. Choking is my favorite part about MGSOnline

That's... a very good point.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

As long as the MSX names are there, I'm happy.

SHOOT GUNNER
RUNNING MAN
DIRTY DUCK

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

A few new screenshots here.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mortalwombat posted:

A few new screenshots here.

"A PC version is also apparently in the works, but is a lower priority."

Has this been confirmed anywhere else?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah as much as Kojima has said these will be on current gen hardware, I think he's loving bluffing because those screenshots

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Green Puddin posted:

Yeah as much as Kojima has said these will be on current gen hardware, I think he's loving bluffing because those screenshots

I honestly think it's possible, they did a live demonstration of the game at TGS and it looks pretty, and whoever designed the engine has a really artistic grasp of how lighting works in real life, but it was running at 24FPS at maximum and very choppy. Not very impressive despite my huge fandom of the series and excitement for the game. It felt like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on XBox/PS2/Gamecube. Incredible in screenshot but in motion......

Also for anyone playing through the series again or for the first time. Don't forget about Portable Ops! It's...not worth playing, but the voice acting is legit great and not a lot happens in the story so just youtube the cutscenes as the game does feature the introduction of Roy Campbell as well as Gray Fox in his teenage years. It's a weird game in that it was announced as the next canonical game in the series and covers a pretty important part of Big Boss' life, but then Peacewalker replaced it, but then they refer to events from the game IN Peacewalker uuuggghhh.

What they need to do for the multiplayer for this is make models of every Foxhound and mercenary in the franchise instead of just the generic dudes. Like the dudes from Portable Ops, hover around as Psycho Mantis or a B&B soldier, whatever. The guy that does the character art/designs for MGS has done so many rad as hell characters that you never see or only appear briefly. They should at least have classes based on the different bosses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Green Puddin posted:

Have you played Last of Us or GTA5? They look amazing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Have you played Last of Us or GTA5? They look amazing.

Except that in those screenshots, there seems to be anti-aliasing. As good as Last of Us or GTA 5 look, there's still jaggies everywhere in these current gen titles.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Shadow cascade 10 metres out? Yep, that's current gen.

mascotte
Mar 21, 2013

Ling-Ling here to destroy all! And give children seizure!

Neo Rasa posted:

Gray Fox in his teenage years.

Please don't remind me of that. It's the main reason I hate PO. MGSV could have been the game to introduce Gray Fox to us but now it's not gonna happen.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Kojima should seriously retcon half the series with a 'these were all vr missions for raiden'

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

mascotte posted:

Please don't remind me of that. It's the main reason I hate PO. MGSV could have been the game to introduce Gray Fox to us but now it's not gonna happen.

I've been replaying Portable Ops and my resentment for it is steadily melting away. Even the controls aren't as bad as I remember them. (Perhaps because I realized I could effectively map the Action and Inventory commands to the same button.)

The story and setting are a good blend of MGS1 and MGS2. Playing it again reminded me that Roy and Snake are running their whole operation out of the back of a truck - nowhere near the caliber of MSF. Even the funds and plans that Gene hands off to Snake wouldn't be massive, just enough to set up a small sustainable operation in the PW cabin. Gene didn't have funds comparable to the Legacy. He hijacked an existing base and recruited Red Army defectors. His real assets were the Metal Gears and the FOX unit.

The troublesome thing about playing POOPS and accepting it as canon is realizing that Gene was codenamed "Viper". Perhaps "V has come to" refers to him. I mentioned in the previous thread that I was convinced that Skull Face was Zadornov. I'm now considering the possibility that Gene/Zadornov/SkullFace are the same person. That could explain the origin of Decoy Octopus.

Gene is the analog to Solidus just as BB and Ocelot are to Solid and Liquid. (The perfect successor of the previous legendary soldier hijacks a base and frames Snake.) It's notable that Solidus had "Octopus" arms, and that Laughing Octopus ALSO framed Snake for an attack by using the FaceCamo.

The last thing I'll mention is that first casualty of Shadow Moses was Decoy Octopus and that Solidus was behind the whole operation. It would fit the series' theme of the new succeeding the old. There are other connections, but I don't have the time right now to go into further detail. Just something to think about while we wait for more V.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

mortalwombat posted:

The troublesome thing about playing POOPS and accepting it as canon is realizing that Gene was codenamed "Viper". Perhaps "V has come to" refers to him. I mentioned in the previous thread that I was convinced that Skull Face was Zadornov. I'm now considering the possibility that Gene/Zadornov/SkullFace are the same person. That could explain the origin of Decoy Octopus.
While I could 100% see this being true it would also be incredibly, pointlessly stupid.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Video games need to get away from sequels having everybody knowing somebody else somehow. It makes the world feel small as poo poo.

But I guess MGS already has a stupid story. Might as well go full on idiotic.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Portable Ops is kind of non-canon though? Even Kojima said it doesn't fit "his" Metal Gear universe.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Stare-Out posted:

Portable Ops is kind of non-canon though? Even Kojima said it doesn't fit "his" Metal Gear universe.

The San Hieronymo takeover is mentioned verbally by Miller in the beginning of Peace Walker, but it is the biggest sweeping away of it in a single line. The only important things to happen in that game are Big Boss forming a private militia and kicking rear end in Central America and Ocelot getting his hands on the Philosopher's Legacy and giving it to Zero, forming The Patriots.

We'll probably never hear about Gene, Python, Metal Gear RAXA, the ICBMG, or Army's Heaven ever again, and Null will probably be retconned to make it so he's not the Grey Fox we all know and love.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But Sokolov still lived, right? right? :ohdear:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Sokolov being alive made no goddamn sense. The sound effects when Volgin killed him, what was he actually doing? Smashing a fruit stand?

EDIT: I know about the fake death pill thing but how was he not a smashed in corpse by the end of that.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Stare-Out posted:

This is probably a good time to mention that it was David Hayter's favorite script, iirc.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

This is probably a good time to mention that it was David Hayter's favorite script, iirc.
I barely remember anything about PO so it might've been a good script as far as Metal Gear goes? The point is that yeah, I doubt Kojima cares too much about retconning the hell out of whatever happened in that game to have that stuff in some form or another in MGSV.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Stare-Out posted:

I barely remember anything about PO so it might've been a good script as far as Metal Gear goes? The point is that yeah, I doubt Kojima cares too much about retconning the hell out of whatever happened in that game to have that stuff in some form or another in MGSV.

I was (jokingly) implying that the script was the best because Kojima didn't work on it. Too bad about the rest of the actual game. Did you know that if you run out of stamina in PO, you straight up die? Did you know that a good third of the early game soldiers have less than 100 stamina?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well at least it gave us the hiimdaisy comics and the phrase "accursed snake children" used in a sentence.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Man, I miss those comics. If only she wasn't rich and famous beyond her wildest dreams so she could finish Persona 4, the comic so good it got folded back into the game.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

Man, I miss those comics. If only she wasn't rich and famous beyond her wildest dreams so she could finish Persona 4, the comic so good it got folded back into the game.

I didn't realize the artist made it big. Good for her, whatever she's doing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Gaseous Snake posted:

I didn't realize the artist made it big. Good for her, whatever she's doing.

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

She's also doing background art for Shantae Half Genie Hero.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I opened up this week's TIME magazine and they're talking about the NSA spying stuff:

quote:

Nearly a century ago, long before the National Security Agency existed, there was the Black Chamber. Founded after World War I, the New York City–based office — formally called the Cipher Bureau and disguised as a commercial company — existed to crack the communications codes of foreign governments.

Read more: NSA and U.S. Spying on Overseas Allies: Friends Always Spy on Friends | TIME.com http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/31/friends-always-spy-on-friends/#ixzz2jcXcUQnq

Welp! The amount of real-life geopolitical trivia that gets worked backwards into these games is pretty amazing sometimes. But it's a little deeper than that, right? Cipher doesn't just mean zero, after all, it means code, and that's one of the big themes of MGS: the control of information, the agency of information itself, the reciprocal relationship between information and physical reality. The never-resolved launch data macguffin from the first game, the Patriot and Peace Walker AIs, the location of the Legacy, the validity and reliability of the nuclear chain of command (in Peace Walker again)-- the action of every MGS game revolves around some crucial piece of information.

WHich makes sense, because these games are about modern warfare. Since WWI at least (where the Metal Gear timeline starts, come to think of it) war has increasingly become the process of ineffable, invulnerable machines killing vast numbers of Enemies, with less and less human input-- in the case of MAD, at least, with humans standing totally helpless before the might of their own weapons, no input at all beyond a single judgment call: everyone in the world dies today, or they don't. poo poo!! Metal Gear is cool, I guess is what I'm saying

swamp waste fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Portable Ops is redeemed because of this line:

Big Boss posted:

The country you're building is no heaven for soldiers. The place they're looking for is outside your "heaven."

So much more badass than the whole "you are the lightning" thing from 4.

• Locked thread