Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm not going to try to talk you out of your "gently caress developers I pay what I want" stance, but you should bone up on your understanding of the word profit.

Correct, reducing your sale price to 1/3rd will absolutely increase your audience tenfold. This is why Battlefield 4 and CoD:Doge are selling for 20 dollars and are going to be purchased by upwards of 120 million players during launch week.

There's lots of games on KS where the cost of alpha is 2-3x the price of admission. If you enjoy the genre, the game, the developers, and if you want to contribute to the success of the project, then there's excellent value in an alpha. I bet you can personally think of projects where you'd shell out extra coin if it meant seeing your favorite IP/genre/developer on a new game.

There's no production cost and distribution costs are negligible, was my point. Really big name games can get away with charging $60 because they're worth it, they're the flagship games that have been advertising all year and took tens of millions to make. But not every game in the industry is a BF4 or COD. And if you look at Steam, they've found that most games aren't worth $60 but sell great at lower prices, even as low as $5. Now, they still release at $60 and do some pre-order exclusive shenanigans to squeeze $60 out of who they can, but they drop to reasonable prices within a week or two, that's crazy. But whatever, that's an argument for some other place. Back to KS.

That's different though. There's a difference between "$20 for the game, $40 gets you early access too if you really like us" and "pay $20 for an alpha, you get nothing else, we may never even make the full game and if we do we'll charge you for it separately". The project is literally the alpha, and buying even high tiers doesn't get you the final game..

Also would you stop with the "gently caress developers I pay what I want" already? I never loving said that. That has nothing to do with the point I was making and I would never say that. gently caress, I AM a developer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress, I AM a developer!

Quite loving yourself, bro. Quit loving yourself.

And I also think it's pretty poo poo, but as long as the transaction is made in good faith and fully disclosed of risk, I don't think there's a problem. I do find it annoying when they're sold in the exact same location as fullly finished titles on a distributor's storefront (Steam :argh:), but whatever. I wish they'd be in their own separate are, like how demos are. No demo is on the main store page, it's in it's own little place, off to the side.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 30, 2013

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
After reading the discussion about tiny legs being the new style, I can't stop noticing it:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Dropsy hit its goal and still has 25 days left.

Well done dude, way better campaign this time. You're going to sweep the rest of your stretch goals handily. (we just need to get him up to $26,000+)

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Because they want the huge bucketloads of money they think Ghosts 'n Goblins will bring in. :psyduck:

The last game in the series was three years ago, it's not like the property is even lying fallow.

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me, but Maldita Castilla came out less than a year ago, and it's a better G'n'G game than pretty much everything that came out after the SNES.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

miguelito posted:

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me, but Maldita Castilla came out less than a year ago, and it's a better G'n'G game than pretty much everything that came out after the SNES.

Or you could just play Volgarr the Viking. I'm not sure how much it plays like the old G'n'G games, but it's likely infinitely better than whatever these guys are working on.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

miguelito posted:

Well this is pretty neat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Both Maldita Castilla and Volgar The Viking are two games really worth checking out. Maldita is basically a big fat love letter to the GNG series where as Volgar the Viking has gameplay similar. I know that sounds weird but Maldita feels more GNG with the mechanics where as Volgar is more of GNG hard.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Shindragon posted:

Both Maldita Castilla and Volgar The Viking are two games really worth checking out. Maldita is basically a big fat love letter to the GNG series where as Volgar the Viking has gameplay similar. I know that sounds weird but Maldita feels more GNG with the mechanics where as Volgar is more of GNG hard.

Volgar is like Rastan grew a big sack of balls, sold his life bar for a SNES copy of GNG, then sprinked in a dash of Quackshot's plunger wall climb because why not. It's super fun but yes, crazy difficult.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahah yeah that is one way to say it. But yeah also both games do the whole, oh you can continue, but you'll get the crappy ending.

I think Maldita had like 4 endings.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Who loves Ghosts 'n Goblins! I do, and so do other people! That's why these guys want to Kickstart a new GnG game!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phantasmstudios/ghosts-n-goblins-demon-world

...oh. :negative:

At least the River City Ransom guys made sure they had the license before attempting their Kickstarter. And they managed to show a lot of stuff and even got Yoshihisa Kishimoto on-board. These guys don't have much to show at all.

Only medieval instruments! *Generic-as-gently caress techno track playing in the background*

That's wrong on so many levels. :colbert:

e: "Level Designer on: F-Zero GX!" got me excited for a second. Then I realized that the level design is the only thing about F-Zero GX that isn't all that impresive. :smith:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 30, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Holy poo poo that sandbox game posted a few pages back is the worst KS I have ever seen. I'm really surprised he has two backers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Last call for PULSAR: Lost Colony, which already hit its goal; 16 hours left

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leafygames/pulsar-lost-colony

Its pretty much the proper Star Trek game that never was, by way of FTL mixed with Artemis.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Here's the current status concerning how hype a Smash Bros Melee competitor could get funding wise if it was all about the Smash but without any of the Bros.

Maybe it'll fare better next time around. The update says they're going to rework the artwork so they've got that going for them now at least.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Shalinor posted:

Dropsy hit its goal and still has 25 days left.

Well done dude, way better campaign this time. You're going to sweep the rest of your stretch goals handily. (we just need to get him up to $26,000+)

How did I miss this? Thanks and backed.

Dropsy really feels like the Something Awful version of Monkey Island to me. I can't wait to see the game produced.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

diadem posted:

How did I miss this? Thanks and backed.

Dropsy really feels like the Something Awful version of Monkey Island to me. I can't wait to see the game produced.

I broke the Dropsy flash game. :(

Died on the door scare.
Broke it again, by jumping through the floor. :wtc:
This game is creeping me out just through its glitches.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RadicalR posted:

I broke the Dropsy flash game. :(

Died on the door scare.
Broke it again, by jumping through the floor. :wtc:
This game is creeping me out just through its glitches.

Yeeeeah, I maybe should've waited on that one.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yeeeeah, I maybe should've waited on that one.

It's not bad! But the glitchly nature of the game makes this distracting.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RadicalR posted:

It's not bad! But the glitchly nature of the game makes this distracting.

Thanks! Do you guys think I should address the game's bugginess in subsequent updates or just leave it alone? I just don't want it to reflect badly on the campaign, especially since our programmer had nothing to do with it. It's probably not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

Also, here's how it SHOULD look and play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc51UNF7pXw

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Jane Austen novels are horrid but I really want to see Jane Austen Online get made because the griefing opportunities would be immense.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

The Scratching Post

A collab from wolf pupy and Famicon, best known for bart the general.

Should be interesting, if nothing else.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks! Do you guys think I should address the game's bugginess in subsequent updates or just leave it alone? I just don't want it to reflect badly on the campaign, especially since our programmer had nothing to do with it. It's probably not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

I think Honesty is the best policy. Also, fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it.

I want to keep playing!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Gaspy Conana posted:

This is my own personal experience, but when I'd talk about bugs and fix them, backers ate it up. They loved seeing the sausage get made. When I'd do development livestreams the bugs were some of the best parts.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Zaphod42 posted:

Now, they still release at $60 and do some pre-order exclusive shenanigans to squeeze $60 out of who they can, but they drop to reasonable prices within a week or two, that's crazy. But whatever, that's an argument for some other place. Back to KS.

It's called price discrimination, and it's a pretty standard marketing method. It's why hardcover books come before softcover books, why you have to go to a theater to see a movie before the DVD release, and why EA has their the "digital deluxe" editions with extra swag.
Edit: or why kickstarters have different pledge levels for that matter.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 31, 2013

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
My relaunch passed 50% in 13 hours :)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

diadem posted:

Not really that surprising, since the new target is the amount the old Kickstarter ended at, and you asked all of your old backers to back again as fast as possible?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

I think you'll have to apologize and fix it up a little, as well as put up a video of how it *should* play. I'd edit it out of the update at the very start, but I believe you can only do that within the first 30 minutes of posting.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tamba posted:

Not really that surprising, since the new target is the amount the old Kickstarter ended at, and you asked all of your old backers to back again as fast as possible?

Is there a reason to be so grouchy and negative?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It just seems kinda scammy to relaunch a kickstarter with the goal set to the amount the old one failed at. They didn't even mention that it's the second try or why they were able to lower the amount this much.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

diadem posted:

Still laughing at that Tim B^Uckley card. Card games are cool though. I can't get enough card games.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tamba posted:

It just seems kinda scammy to relaunch a kickstarter with the goal set to the amount the old one failed at. They didn't even mention that it's the second try or why they were able to lower the amount this much.

Name of the Kickstarter is literally: Alteil Horizons - turn based tactics card game - Relaunch

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tamba posted:

To be fair, they sorta mention it in the title ("Relaunch" is tacked on to the end) and a few of the reward levels.

But yeah, it's scummy as hell otherwise and it still gives money to Buckley so nope.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, and that's the only place where the mention it. Then the text goes on to talk about Alteil 1, so people who didn't know about the first kickstarter just think it refers to relaunching that game.

vvvv Huh, either I didn't see that Addendum, or it was added later. anyway, I'll just shut up now.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 31, 2013

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Tamba posted:

You mean aside from the word relaunch in the title or the explanation as to why we are relaunching for a smaller goal with more rewards under the massive "why kickstarter" image?

Kyrosiris posted:

To be fair, they sorta mention it in the title ("Relaunch" is tacked on to the end) and a few of the reward levels.

But yeah, it's scummy as hell otherwise and it still gives money to Buckley so nope.

Tim is showing his support because he wants me to achieve my dream. He is not getting paid for the relaunch.

Tamba posted:

Yeah, and that's the only place where the mention it. Then the text goes on to talk about Alteil 1, so people who didn't know about the first kickstarter just think it refers to relaunching that game.

I'm not trying to be confrontational with this one - I'm honestly confused as to where you are coming from.

From the Kickstarter:

quote:

Since the first Kickstarter we've made a deal with a game company in another country to develop a version of Alteil Horizons for them at the same time. Thanks to that deal, we were able to lower our goal to its current amount.

What is wrong with this? Are you saying that it's critical I mention there was an old kickstarter all over the page instead of where it's relevant, despite the fact too much information was one of the big problems of the orignal? I'm trying to figure out why you are so upset at that, and why you are throwing personal insults.

I took a massive paycut to follow my dream, which involves making people happy. I saved personal funds for a long time, living off ramen instead of lobster and steak I was used to. I quit my job which would have provided for me personally so that I can focus on my project. I made sure my employees got paid while I took nothing. When I reach a point where I can show what I've made and am capable of I ask for help. I am making sure I avoid payment channels that would insist making the game pay to win.

I've been honest and upfront this whole time, and now you call me scummy?

diadem fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 31, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB4Kcoe0NGY

I don't think anyone has talked about Kitaru [a KS'd game from June of last year] much here, but I find myself strangely attracted to it regardless. I mean, it's totally jank all the way around, but at the same time the developers clearly have a lot of ambition and at least some degree of skill. I'll probably drop :tenbux: on it when it finally comes out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

diadem posted:

I took a massive paycut to follow my dream, which involves making people happy. I saved personal funds for a long time, living off ramen instead of lobster and steak I was used to. I quit my job which would have provided for me personally so that I can focus on my project. I made sure my employees got paid while I took nothing. When I reach a point where I can show what I've made and am capable of I ask for help. I am making sure I avoid payment channels that would insist making the game pay to win.

I've been honest and upfront this whole time, and now you call me scummy?

Boo loving hoo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man you guys are really angry about this card game Kickstarter for some reason.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yeah the people who are super mad about this relaunch are way weird!! It's just video games. Video games crowdfunding.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Try building something Baloogan, instead of just being an rear end in a top hat. I'll be waiting here for your kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The hate on this guy for getting a single card design from Buckley as marketing for his campaign is completely out of proportion.