Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Thanks to our friend Courtney Stevens for our art.

Silent Hill 3
Platform: Playstation 2
Publisher: Konami
Developer: KCET - Team Silent

This is a continuation of our previous blind Let's Plays of Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. If you haven't already watched them, please do. It would be a shame for you to start off viewing this one without already hating us.

The Game
Silent Hill 3 is the third installment in the Silent Hill survival horror series. Like its predecessors, it was developed by Team Silent of Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo, and published by Konami. In its gameplay, Silent Hill 3 is virtually identical to the two prior installments, a traditional tank-controlled survival horror action-adventure focussed on ammo and health conservation as well as puzzle-solving. In its story and atmosphere there's the series trademark psychological horror and mystery but unlike Silent Hill 2, SH3 is a direct story sequel to the original. Also, you're a lady.

The Players
Kyle (19letterslong) | Role: Driver
Keith (Somethingdumb) | Role: Backseat Driver

We're really smart.

Silent Hill 3 Game Manual posted:

"Okay, I will. I love you too, dad."

Heather smiled to herself.
It was just a nice little chat on the phone.
Just another everyday occurrence in her tranquil life.
She was unaware that this tranquil world was about to be torn asunder.

It happened suddenly, without warning, and seemingly without reason. The simple happiness she had known was gone. Her entire world was transformed into a grotesque and bizarre nightmare...
She was caught in the middle.

The cheerful weekend bustle of the shopping mall was replaced by a deep, ominous silence. The only sounds now were the footsteps of the unspeakable creatures, lurking in the darkness. What had happened? She needed to know. But there was no one left to tell her.

Heather was trapped alone in a deranged world, with nothing to do but escape. Not knowing where to turn, her only thought was of survival. She clutched her pistol tightly, ready to shoot anything that tried to attack...

Youtube playlist

Part 01: Dream Fall
The longest journey (to the ground.)

Part 02: Sunshine Princess
An intimate knowledge of Shakespeare is required.

Part 03: Third Strike
Fuckin' ampoules; how do they work?

Part 04: Amateur Chemistry
Our progress through the shopping mall... progresses.

Part 05: Whack-a-Worm
More like shopping MAUL, right? ...RIGHT?!

Part 06: The Underground Railroad
Things do not go smoothly for us in the subway station.

Part 07: Last Stop
End of the line.

Part 08: Ren Faire Sewer
A much-welcome change of scenery.

Part 09: Dryer Death
This time on Silent Hill 3: I teach Keith about fan death, a good time is had by all.

Part 10: Return of the Story
Turns out this game has a narrative of some kind.

Part 11: Goodnight, Sweet Prince
Well, that was fast.

Part 12: Let's Play Silent Hill 3 Part 1
All this needs is the world's latest title card.

Part 13: Secret Admirer
Business is combination lock puzzles and business is booming.

Part 14: The Whole Pudding
Not everything can be pudding!

Part 15: Black Pen Scribble
Just like Star Fox 64.

Part 16: The Mirror
We discover new and creative ways to be killed by the game.

Part 17: My Dinner With Leonard
Such a nice guy.

Part 18: Full Circle
Who would put a train on these train tracks?

Part 19: Bemusement Park
What a fun house.

Part 20: Carousel to Hell
Ride it to the Bottom!

Part 21: Confessions with a Teenage Drama Queen
Heather is a benevolent god.

Part 22: Closer Than Ever
You ever get that feeling that Church just keeps going on forever?

Part 23: Electrifying Finish
This may be the end of the game, but come back tomorrow to listen to our wrap-up podcast with Kamoc!

Wrap-Up Podcast [Youtube][MP3]
We get on skype with Kamoc to talk all about Silent Hill, games and community.

----

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I liked your blind runs of 1 and 2! Silent Hill 3 also happens to my favorite (since it was the first I played) so this will be great!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aww yeah. Got something to watch before bed tonight.

Is this also cross-posted with scarecams in the relevant thread?

Red Rover
Feb 13, 2012

The Cuddliest
Lord of the Dead
At long last, K&K return to everyone's favorite foggy resort/monster corral. I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys feel about this installment (as well as all the inevitable blunders that come with any Run Button foray into Silent Hill).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You might have figured this out by now due to doing staggered videos, but the reason your melee attacks were different for the pipe is because this is one of the few PS2 games to use the Dualshock 2's analog buttons. In the pipe's case, mash the button down to do a heavy downward slam, and tap it to do quick sideways strikes. I want to say all the melee weapons are like this but it's been so long since I've played.

Gonna be sad since this isn't taking place in the nightmare barn (even if you guys are total liars about it :argh:).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Stoked to have more K&K Silent Hill. Can you turn on cutscene dialog subtitles if that's an option?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Looking forward to this! And seconding the request for subtitles, if possible!

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
Super stoked for this LP, loved the last 2.

Also I made a thing:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Super happy to see this. I loved your blind runs for the previous ones. What a nice Halloween treat.:spooky:

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
"Focussed" is how Brits spell it.

I look forward to seeing the monster in the game that has "LET'S PLAY SILENT HILL 3" floating above its head.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Oh yay, just in time for Halloween! I was just discussing good Silent Hill 3 playthroughs with a friend the other day so it was a bit surprising seeing the first video pop up on my Youtube feed.

The enemies in this game are so much creepier than in the previous games. That giraffe-necked thing is messed up.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
My Halloween is now almost too spooktacular. Awesome to see this finally starting, guys.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Just popping in to say that I'm really looking forward to this.

ETA: I'm also glad that someone else had the same early experience with the game's new fall mechanics that I did.

ETA2: a) I think that Heather's following the weird convention of most teenage girls in mass media calling their fathers "Daddy." When I was a teenage girl, I always used "Dad," as did most of the teenage girls I knew. I have to wonder how much of a real-world basis calling your father "Daddy" past puberty has. I hope not much, but who knows.

b) The sound design in the game is wonderfully horrible. (The music is good but, beyond this opening bit, sparser than popular wisdom would lead you to believe.)

c)I like the edge (the ~*~edge~*~) to Heather's voice. In the HD version, she's aggravatingly recast as quite the shrinking violet.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 31, 2013

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

Stoked to have more K&K Silent Hill. Can you turn on cutscene dialog subtitles if that's an option?

Galick posted:

Looking forward to this! And seconding the request for subtitles, if possible!
Subtitles are turned on from episode 4, onward. My bad. :regd09:

Blenheim posted:

ETA2: a) I think that Heather's following the weird convention of most teenage girls in mass media calling their fathers "Daddy." When I was a teenage girl, I always used "Dad," as did most of the teenage girls I knew. I have to wonder how much of a real-world basis calling your father "Daddy" past puberty has. I hope not much, but who knows.
I LOVE MY DADDY :byodood:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Blenheim posted:

I'm going through X-Files again with my girlfriend and Scully calls her father 'daddy' several times in one episode.

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
I might just watch this but make sure you call a little girl a bitch in this one too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Maelaevi posted:

I might just watch this but make sure you call a little girl a bitch in this one too.

That little girl was a HUGE bitch. She kicked that fuckin key, who even does that poo poo?

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
I know! I just want stupid bitches to be called out on their bullshit even if they're 12 years old.

edit: oh wow you already called Heather a bitch.

Maelaevi fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 31, 2013

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
So anyway glad to see you guys starting this one up.

The first fall death and then the strafe dance both made me laugh. Hope the lp goes well and you guys like 3 a little more than 2.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Least amount of time I had to wait to see some chain link. Yes!

midwat
May 6, 2007

I like to think Silent Hill's rival town is Loud Valley, where everything's clean, every day is clear and sunny, and people don't walk like tanks.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Yeeeessss, I've been waiting for this LP since you guys mentioned it on your podcast.

This'll be the third time I've watched someone cover this game and never knew you could cut the beginning sequence short via pitfall.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm happy to see you guys play this. I hope you still have the SH2 saves on your PS2 card.

Also, hot tip! Heather will turn her head to look at things that are important to further the plot (like puzzles) or items, so it greatly reduces 'pixel hunt' mashing. She doesn't turn her head toward flavor-text, so don't mash if you're just 'checking something out'.

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?
I'm glad that I made the decision to watch this alone in a dark room on Halloween. Also the dog collar jingle startled the gently caress out of me, probably because I'm a huge coward.

Super stoked that you're playing this, I rented it from Blockbuster when I was 14 or so and played it for about five minutes before freaking out and insisting we drive it back.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
"It's unlocked"
*sprints in opposite direction*

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Blenheim posted:

Just popping in to say that I'm really looking forward to this.

ETA: I'm also glad that someone else had the same early experience with the game's new fall mechanics that I did.

b) The sound design in the game is wonderfully horrible. (The music is good but, beyond this opening bit, sparser than popular wisdom would lead you to believe.)

c)I like the edge (the ~*~edge~*~) to Heather's voice. In the HD version, she's aggravatingly recast as quite the shrinking violet.

Heather's original voice actress gave an organic performance that captured Heather's sarcastic nature and Teen 'Tude really well. Heather Morris, the voice actress, did her motion capture as well, so I think that added to the quality (and both voice direction and mo-cap were overseen by Jeremy Blaustein of MGS fame). The HD version sounds like an anime voice actress trying to hard to sound like a teenager.

With regards to the "Daddy" thing, I think that was intended as one of Heather's sardonic quips given the rest of the line reading.

Great first video! Include more hip twisting shuffle dances in future updates.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

Melinoe posted:

Super stoked that you're playing this, I rented it from Blockbuster when I was 14 or so and played it for about five minutes before freaking out and insisting we drive it back.

I had a similar experience. It was a new release so I rented it without much knowledge about it (I played the original a bit) and I didn't even make it past the opening. I was immediately out. I am a huge baby.

I've played through the entire game since then and I love it. I never want to play it again, but I love it.

Really hope you guys end up liking this game. I think it's the best game in the series.

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?

Supersonic Buddha posted:

I had a similar experience. It was a new release so I rented it without much knowledge about it (I played the original a bit) and I didn't even make it past the opening. I was immediately out. I am a huge baby.

I've played through the entire game since then and I love it. I never want to play it again, but I love it.

Really hope you guys end up liking this game. I think it's the best game in the series.

I had played no Silent Hill games but was vaguely interested in playing creepy games (I also used to look at Fatal Frame 2 because I figured it couldn't be too scary given that your only weapon was a camera - I am drat glad I never rented that one), but as soon as it started off in a carnival I went nope and shut it off. The stories are interesting though so I'm glad that I can watch K&K play through them to experience them without wanting to hide under a blanket every five minutes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I don't know how I feel about this game. On the one hand it's got some of the creepier monster designs, and an interesting story, the pacing is absolutely dreadful (even informative LPs take for goddamn ever to get out of the mall) and bland as hell settings outside the amusement park. Also, this game draws the line between worthwhile ng+ rewards and not. On the one hand, a bunch of pointless costume changes, on the other, pretty sailor sexy beam.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Episode 02: Sunshine Princess

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I have a huge soft spot for this game, my first big translation job; I translated the non-voiced text (except for a few lines that were added after me and before release)--including the puzzles--and the songs. Though I didn't have visual context, a fact that is painfully obvious in a few places, the translation file contains copious notes from the devs explaining puzzles and stuff like that. I look forward to the rest of this playthrough and hopefully being able to shed some light on a few things if when K&K get angry about them.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hirayuki posted:

I have a huge soft spot for this game, my first big translation job; I translated the non-voiced text (except for a few lines that were added after me and before release)--including the puzzles--and the songs. Though I didn't have visual context, a fact that is painfully obvious in a few places, the translation file contains copious notes from the devs explaining puzzles and stuff like that. I look forward to the rest of this playthrough and hopefully being able to shed some light on a few things if when K&K get angry about them.

Oh yay I'm glad you're here, you were the best part of the other SH3 LP thread (the one by the guy who went crazy and deleted it all and banned himself afterwards).

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

Just want you to know you did an awesome job!!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

19LettersLong posted:

Episode 02: Sunshine Princess

Yeah I think on hard riddle difficulty the numbers written on the books are gone, and the hint near the door is a lot more of a riddle. then the password would be the actual numbers of the books in the order you put them on the shelf.

I am sure someone will drop by with a much bigger :spergin: post than this that goes into detail. (I liked the video that 'guy who went crazy' did for this puzzle, but alas, it is lost to time)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've been waiting this LP for so long and I've never even played Silent Hill.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I don't think it's a good sign the last person to LP this game lost his marbles. This game is cursed and you two are going to come out the other end gibbering shells of your former selves.

E: and SS2 did loads of weird poo poo...though it was probably more subtle overall. Granted the elevator gameshow is a standout but you've also got the prison living up to what you've dubbed it and literally inverting with the repeated jumps into the abyss followed by the ratmaze that's being formed around you and you never actually defeat the pyramid heads, they impale themselves and whats up with the eggs? What does it meeeaan? Are they his bollocks? :psyduck:

Also the dead guy in front of the tv was James the whole time :aaaaa:

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 4, 2013

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I don't think it's a good sign the last person to LP this game lost his marbles. This game is cursed and you two are going to come out the other end gibbering shells of your former selves.

They already made it through the entirety of Sonic without going completely nuts. I think they're immune.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The Protagonist posted:

I didn't go insane? But I did cause the guy to go insane cause I'm really bad at LP's...

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
While we're discussing the pronunciation of words, "pronounciation" isn't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Aren't you the guys who played Silent Hill 2 in the nightmare barn?

If yes, then I'm looking forward to watching a bunch of episodes this weekend, because the barn-lp was incredible.

• Locked thread