Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm reading Naked Lunch and one of the accolades from Newsweekly says that the book is a satire. I'm having a hard time seeing what it's satirizing, except from one part about homosexual persecution early on. Anyone more enlightened than I care help me pick up on this satirical frequency?

WASDF fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

elbow posted:

Yep, you can read all of these separately, no need to read them in order. I loved The City of Dreaming Books, hope you enjoy it!
Thanks, I'm excited to read it! :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I thought a big city library would have every book I've ever wanted to read, but they rarely have even one book just by the author :smith:. What a total drag, I lovehate buying books.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Amazon have just started their new Kindle Matchbook program, somewhat similar to their mp3 program where they gave you online access to past CD purchases, you can now get digital Kindle access to your past book purchases for a small fee or possibly free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/ep...&pf_rd_i=507846

Only had two books which qualified, no free ones sadly. I would think those would probably be public domain titles which might have been purchased.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I thought a big city library would have every book I've ever wanted to read, but they rarely have even one book just by the author :smith:. What a total drag, I lovehate buying books.

Don't they do inter-library loans?

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

WASDF posted:

I'm reading Naked Lunch and one of the accolades from Newsweekly says that the book is a satire. I'm having a hard time seeing what it's satirizing, except from one part about homosexual persecution early on.

Hrmm, its hard to turn a page of Naked Lunch and not read satire all over it. I mean, Freeland? A police state that needs no police because every individual is under continuous surveillance by everyone else? Yeah.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

barkingclam posted:

Don't they do inter-library loans?

I know I avoid ILL because I'm spoiled as a grad student and am used to having books out basically indefinitely, so when I only get 2 weeks, non-renewable, it seems like a big huge drag.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey everyone, I am not sure where the best place to ask this would be, but I saw the 'general discussion' so I thought I'd go for it in here. If anyone knows a better thread or resource please let me know.

I am looking to get my girlfriend something incredibly special for Christmas this year, and she is a super book fiend. We have over 2600 books in our library, and I want to get her a book that will really knock her socks off, something historic and collectible.

She reads Ulysses every Bloomsday, and it is easily her favorite book, so I was thinking I could get her a special version of this, but I don't even know if that's feasible. I'd be happily willing to spend a couple hundred dollars, but I'm not sure what (if anything) I'd be able to get for that.

Does anyone know of any resources for early editions of books, or how much I'd have to spend to get a Joyce of any sort of historical value that she could be proud of? I'm local to Boston if that matters.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey everyone, I am not sure where the best place to ask this would be, but I saw the 'general discussion' so I thought I'd go for it in here. If anyone knows a better thread or resource please let me know.

I am looking to get my girlfriend something incredibly special for Christmas this year, and she is a super book fiend. We have over 2600 books in our library, and I want to get her a book that will really knock her socks off, something historic and collectible.

She reads Ulysses every Bloomsday, and it is easily her favorite book, so I was thinking I could get her a special version of this, but I don't even know if that's feasible. I'd be happily willing to spend a couple hundred dollars, but I'm not sure what (if anything) I'd be able to get for that.

Does anyone know of any resources for early editions of books, or how much I'd have to spend to get a Joyce of any sort of historical value that she could be proud of? I'm local to Boston if that matters.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?author=joyce%2C+james&title=&keyisbn=&format=&first=on&signed=on

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I remember a while back, there was a Let's Read Dante thread that fell apart for some reason before it really got started. If any of you are still interested in something like that (I am), The Paris Review is recapping it canto by canto every week. Here's part one and they're five cantos in right now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I ordered a book from Amazon recently because I thought I was getting an older printing that would have matched the spines of other books by the same author, and instead I got the small awful reprint that came out with the movie adaptation. I even paid $20.00 extra for rush delivery.

RIP print. I'm switching to eBooks. :smith:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Teek posted:

Amazon have just started their new Kindle Matchbook program, somewhat similar to their mp3 program where they gave you online access to past CD purchases, you can now get digital Kindle access to your past book purchases for a small fee or possibly free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/ep...&pf_rd_i=507846

Only had two books which qualified, no free ones sadly. I would think those would probably be public domain titles which might have been purchased.

amazon.com posted:

We were not able to find any Kindle MatchBook eligible titles based on your past print book purchases.

:(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

spacemost posted:

I ordered a book from Amazon recently because I thought I was getting an older printing that would have matched the spines of other books by the same author, and instead I got the small awful reprint that came out with the movie adaptation. I even paid $20.00 extra for rush delivery.

That's the rudest thing a merchant could do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

spacemost posted:

Write to amazon and complain. Maybe they'll send you a free book.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Agreed. I have never had anything but AWESOME experiences with amazon customer service.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah nothing but good things from those dudes. I've talked to them a lot in the past few months and they're always very nice and always helped me out.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Heads up to anybody in the West Chester, PA area -- Tim O'Brien is coming to speak here on West Chester University campus on Monday night, to close out the Big Read community program (we read The Things They Carried). It's free and open to the public, PM me if you want more details.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

spacemost posted:

Check Librarything or Goodreads, a lot of times, if you can find the correct edition, you can get the ISBN, and that will help you track it down on Abebooks or Amazon.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Are there any sites that have word counts for a given book? Kinda interested to see how different formats (hardcover, paperback) and print size influence amount of pages for a particular novel's word count.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: There's an Amazon.com.au now, fellow Ausgoons!

We'll get Kindle Daily Deals of our very own now. Tears of joy here, tears of joy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

We'll get Kindle Daily Deals of our very own now. Tears of joy here, tears of joy.
Can't wait for them to be literally copies of deals that are happening in the states and double the price.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

bowmore posted:

Can't wait for them to be literally copies of deals that are happening in the states and double the price.

Still cheaper than Dymocks :v:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Exactly! That's really awesome, thanks for sharing the good news!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

True, but I get most of my poo poo from the library so free vs paying for things...

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Hedrigall posted:

I look forward to saving $0.99 off some $23 Bryce Courtney piece of poo poo about how awesome the outback was in eighteen dickety four.

Alternate: the latest treatise 'holding up a mirror to multicultural australia' (on account of how one of the guys is totes ethnic and references his 'nonna' all the time) from the guy who spewed out every soccer mum's favourite SERIOUS LITERARY FICTION NOVEL not written by Dan Brown, The Slap.

------------
In all seriousness, it's actually really cool that Amazon is offering kindles with local support now, and once their bigass warehouse here comes online we should get a ton of locally-distributed stuff that might actually go some way towards addressing how ridiculously out of kilter Australian book pricing has become.

I hope.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 18, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I look forward to saving $0.99 off some $23 Bryce Courtney piece of poo poo about how awesome the outback was in eighteen dickety four.

Alternate: the latest treatise 'holding up a mirror to multicultural australia' (on account of how one of the guys is totes ethnic and references his 'nonna' all the time) from the guy who spewed out every soccer mum's favourite SERIOUS LITERARY FICTION NOVEL not written by Dan Brown, The Slap.

The first Daily Deal was Man Booker prize winner Wolf Hall for $3 so you can go gently caress yourself.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Hedrigall posted:

The first Daily Deal was Man Booker prize winner Wolf Hall for $3 so you can go gently caress yourself.

Counterpoint: that was closely followed by goon favourite Matthew Reilly. And today's is a Vince Flynn knockoff about a CIA supersniperspy. For $3 off the current US price.

Meanwhile, the current book I am reading (an NYT bestseller by a Pulitzer winner, so hardly obscure) is unavailable, and the one I am reading with my nephew (an obscure George RR Martin novel called A Storm of Swords) is quadruple the price on amazon.au thanks to local distributors being knobs.

So relax, guy. I retract my tongue-in-cheek comment and will let you get back to Serious Amazon Discussion.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 18, 2013

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp
why are books that people conside rgood usually bad?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Because you could never be those people or really experience those books the way they experienced those books

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

WASDF posted:

Because you could never be those people or really experience those books the way they experienced those books

actually, using empathy i was them for a little while and the books were still bad

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

then you weren't empathetic enough

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

WASDF posted:

then you weren't empathetic enough

don't get me wrong, the failure of the gay jew named rusty to find authenticity in his personal life, which was mirrored by the same failure in culture at large definitely resonated. but when i turned off the poisonous empathy i could see that good books were still bad; and there was nothing left to do but post. then some fag in the literary discussion forum told me literary discussion is impossible because of solipsistic mind-blindness

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Rass P posted:

don't get me wrong, the failure of the gay jew named rusty to find authenticity in his personal life, which was mirrored by the same failure in culture at large definitely resonated. but when i turned off the poisonous empathy i could see that good books were still bad; and there was nothing left to do but post. then some fag in the literary discussion forum told me literary discussion is impossible because of solipsistic mind-blindness

You are not nearly empathetic enough.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 19, 2013

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Rass P posted:

its actually because you werent reading a game of thrones: the crow's feast by george r "r" martin

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

WASDF posted:

You are not nearly empathetic enough.

you're not empathetic enough to feel how empathetic i am

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Spoke to Loosechanj about this a while back, and posting it here as it doesn't really warrant a full thread. I work at the Book House, an independent bookstore in St Louis, and we're currently running a kickstarter to help us get up and running at our new location.

The long version of why we're doing this is on the campaign page, but the short summary: After almost thirty years in business at our old location, the landlord gave us ninety days notice. The Victorian Gothic house we were based in will be demolished next month to make way for a gorgeous four storey storage facility.

We've a new storefront, in the heart of a thriving community, but the costs of getting the place open just keep coming in; originally we would have been open by next weekend, but more and more stuff keeps coming up that we need to build to meet code. We've been getting huge amounts of support from the locals in St Louis, and ran an event last weekend with various fundraisers and auctions, attended by around 20 local authors.

We're about 2K and change from our goal right now, and about two weeks left to run, so it's going pretty well.

So that's the brief version of our sob story; I no doubt sound biased, but this is a pretty awesome bookstore, one of the few left in the area, and if any of you guys want to help out or spread the word, it'd be deeply appreciated. Comments, questions, etc. welcome.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is anyone else reading S by Doug Dorst and JJ Abrams? I just finished the first chapter and I really like it so far. One question I have though is if anyone knows what the decoder wheel is for. The wheel is looking for navigation coordinates for input and the characters hint to the footnotes for clues, but I need a little on how to use the wheel and googling it seems to give away spoilers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone else reading S by Doug Dorst and JJ Abrams? I just finished the first chapter and I really like it so far. One question I have though is if anyone knows what the decoder wheel is for. The wheel is looking for navigation coordinates for input and the characters hint to the footnotes for clues, but I need a little on how to use the wheel and googling it seems to give away spoilers.

I just started and it's really hard for me to read. The margins are just way too busy for me to focus on anything. Also I hate the way the grad student character writes. Something about the voice just irritates me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I am on the last chapter of Ender's Game and I'm enjoying it immensely, but I'm wondering how the sequels play out? I love Ender's Game because of its focus on Ender and his struggle and growth, but I am nearly 100% uninterested in any sort of expansion of the Buggers' lore. Essentially, I am worried that the sequels just fizzle out into generic scifi, and the amount of sequels also strengthens my worries. I'll go read Warhammer 40K if I want highly-generic scifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I remember liking Speaker for the Dead but it's been years and years since I read it. It definitely doesn't focus on Ender as much, though.