Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DaveWoo posted:

Are megaphones an actual thing in Japanese pop music, or is Ibuki just being wacky and random here?

I remember there being a scene in The World Ends With You where a character said they planned on using a megaphone in their Indie band, so it might be a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Popo posted:

I've seen them crop up in plenty of places, not just Japanese pop (I've actually never heard any in J Pop since I don't actively listen any). They give a very distinct sound very simply.
Lookie here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7SUFpwpN8

Edited for better example.

The bridge in R.E.M.'s Orange Crush makes heavy use of them as well.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah megaphones are great. Tom Waits rulz.

CecilHoshino
Oct 2, 2013

Mm. Yes. Quite amused.

orenronen posted:

How about "Super High-school Level Therapist"?

Do you know how much of this series could've been avoided if there had been one of those? Or a Super High-School Level Psychologist, Psychiatrist, and/or Pharmacist?

Case File Tsumiki, Mikan: "Cripplingly low sense of self worth and self esteem. Possible case of Münchausen syndrome."
Case File Saionji, Hiyoko: "Troubling juvenile behaviour, lack of empathy. Chemical imbalance? Submit to Matsuda for further examination."
Case File Enoshima, Junko: "BITCH BE CRAZY!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Are megaphones an actual thing in Japanese pop music, or is Ibuki just being wacky and random here?

Shiina Ringo uses them in a few songs, like OSCA.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Slowbeef posted:

Does that mean you can reload a save, get a Hope Shard you missed, and it's still around when you go back to where you were previously?

Yes, you could totally do that. I wouldn't recommend it though, the game will force you to replay part of the plot to get back to the free time section, and there's a much better way to get the shards.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 31, 2013

axx
May 4, 2013
Getting Maizono callbacks from Komaeda's first event, with his calming smile and whatnot. And things played out somewhat similarly... our protagonists have poor choice in sidekicks.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

Slowbeef posted:

Does that mean you can reload a save, get a Hope Shard you missed, and it's still around when you go back to where you were previously?

If what I know about Dangan Ronpa one is any indication, you might need to finish the chapter before you can keep that hope shard. I'm not sure though.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My only music experience is being in my high school band, but aren't drums supposed to be really hard to play? I guess that's the joke, then.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

CecilHoshino posted:

Do you know how much of this series could've been avoided if there had been one of those? Or a Super High-School Level Psychologist, Psychiatrist, and/or Pharmacist?

Case File Tsumiki, Mikan: "Cripplingly low sense of self worth and self esteem. Possible case of Münchausen syndrome."
Case File Saionji, Hiyoko: "Troubling juvenile behaviour, lack of empathy. Chemical imbalance? Submit to Matsuda for further examination."
Case File Enoshima, Junko: "BITCH BE CRAZY!"

Nidai is kind of like a SHSL Therapist, isn't he? Screaming things at people is a kind of therapy after all, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Nidai is kind of like a SHSL Therapist, isn't he? Screaming things at people is a kind of therapy after all, right?

He's more of a SHSL Guidance Counselor than a therapist.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

orenronen posted:

How about "Super High-school Level Therapist"?

I'm starting to think Hinata is a "Super High-school Level Guy-Who-Should-Know-Better" because he always seems to go along with other people's terrible ideas despite knowing full well that it's a bad idea. (e.g. talking to Komaeda in general, joining Ibuki's music club, following Souda's plan for the beach)

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Elite posted:

I'm starting to think Hinata is a "Super High-school Level Guy-Who-Should-Know-Better" because he always seems to go along with other people's terrible ideas despite knowing full well that it's a bad idea.

AKA Super-High-School Level Anime Protagonist.

Wyna
Apr 28, 2013
I have yet to post in this thread, but there are a few questions on my mind, and no one else has speculated about them. After the murder trials take place in each chapter, can you return to the locations where those murders occurred? If yes, then are the bodies of the victims still there? As in, would we find Togami in the cabin and Mahiru in the beach house? And where are the "bodies" of the executed students?

If a student--my guess would be Mikan--is taking care of their deceased classmates, then where are the corpses kept? The hospital wasn't discovered until this chapter, so I'm wondering if they would be moved, since I'm assuming there's a morgue in one of those rooms Hinata wouldn't allow us to enter.

Basically, will it be possible for something like Mukuro's case to occur in this game, or are the measures set in place by the students good enough to prevent that from happening?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kay Kessler posted:

My only music experience is being in my high school band, but aren't drums supposed to be really hard to play? I guess that's the joke, then.

All "real" instruments are really hard to play if you have no experience and even harder if you want to be good at it. Depends on what skill level you're aiming at, though. If you have a good sense of rhythm then learning a few decent basic beats is arguably easier than sounding decent with a more melodic instrument. That said, I can play several instruments and none of them are the drums. :v:

The joke is simply that being good at something takes a lot of effort and belittling that skill is insulting. Belittling drummers is just funnier for guitarists.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

orenronen posted:

Ibuki thought it might go out of fashion, now that rock music is on the decline, but...

The most despair-inducing line yet. Monoworld is the grim specter of a dubstep future. :ohdear:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

loquacius posted:

The most despair-inducing line yet. Monoworld is the grim specter of a dubstep future. :ohdear:

Speaking of Dubstep, I wonder if anyone has put Monobear's laugh through the Wub Machine.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

curiousTerminal posted:

Did they do that scraping poo poo on the inside? That is some SHSL pumpkin carving, I can barely make an oval look ovular instead of rectangular. I'll probably post a better picture of mine tomorrow since my brother took that one and he is awful at photo taking.

It's probably better than this attempt, so you shouldn't feel too bad.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Orenronen posted:

Somehow, I managed to compose a poem on the spot and recite it to Mioda.

Hinata confirmed for SHSL Poet.

I didn't think I'd enjoy komaeda FTEs. I....don't know why. Those were great.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He's more of a SHSL Guidance Counselor than a therapist.

I still haven't figured out how a High Schooler Coach is even a thing, forget about Nidai being a high school student in the first place.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kay Kessler posted:

Well, FWIW, after growing up as a classically-trained violinist, successfully graduating with a music performance degree, teaching myself several other instruments, going through a decade-long career as a sound engineer/music producer, and an even longer time spent as a hobbyist song-writer/composer....I bought myself a set of Roland V-drums a couple of years back, and I was successfully rocking out to Dream Theater on them within a month or two.

To be fair though, any first musical instrument is going to be incredibly difficult to learn, especially for someone who is already older and hadn't had any significant experience as a musician. However, drums, and particularly trap set is probably one of the easier instruments to pick up. Shoot, I've seen people get started into rock drumming without any prior musical experience just by playing Rock Band for a while and then buying a real kit (rock drumming is probably one of the easiest styles too. Easier than funk, r&b, or jazz by far)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Justus posted:

Shoot, I've seen people get started into rock drumming without any prior musical experience just by playing Rock Band for a while and then buying a real kit (rock drumming is probably one of the easiest styles too. Easier than funk, r&b, or jazz by far)

I actually remember back when Rock Band was announced, one of the interviews with the developers mentioned that the difficulty curve of the drum tracks was such that by the time you could consistently play well on the highest difficulty, you'd be skilled enough to actually just play the drums for real, or something to that effect.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I actually remember back when Rock Band was announced, one of the interviews with the developers mentioned that the difficulty curve of the drum tracks was such that by the time you could consistently play well on the highest difficulty, you'd be skilled enough to actually just play the drums for real, or something to that effect.

I don't know much about Rock, but I will say that from my time playing with some amateur Jazz groups, rock band wouldn't do you too much good for Jazz.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

W.T. Fits posted:

That was horse poo poo. I hosed up my wrists all carpal tunnel style because of my horrible drumming technique and straining to get gold five stars on hard. I then got lessons and learned to use the natural movements your body already makes to drum and never went back to rock band because of how ridiculously simplified it was. Just go get lessons if you like the drums. It's twenty bucks an hour.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Is Ibuki not really acting anything like someone with her talent would act supposed to be important? It's slightly offputting to me, although I guess Hagakure was pretty useless (from what I remember) at his skill as well*.

*Yes, his crystal ball broke so he couldn't really tell fortunes, but I vaguely remember him saying that his success rates although better than average were super low.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
Except the predictions Hagakure made throughout the first game all came true, in a way. Despite his goofiness, he was actually pretty accurate.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Hagakure didn't get his predictions from the Crystal Ball. His deal was aliens. Also, 20% of the time, Hagakure was right all the time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CaptainFish posted:

Is Ibuki not really acting anything like someone with her talent would act supposed to be important? It's slightly offputting to me, although I guess Hagakure was pretty useless (from what I remember) at his skill as well.

Ibuki had a falling out with her band due to creative differences, remember? Of course she's going to view music a different way from standard musicians.

orenronen posted:

She comes from a girls-only high school, where she played guitar for a super-popular girl band. I heard that their hit single, "After-school Poyoyon Hour" sold a million copies.

A super-popular girl band... Light music club... ...I think I heard about something like that before... somewhere.

But, I also heard she left the band over creative differences. She's now pursuing a solo career.
...Creative differences?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 1, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joenen posted:

That actually… makes sense.

I mean, I doubt it’s the right answer, but I haven’t heard any better ideas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joenen posted:

Or SHSL Improv Artist.

Anyway, I forget if this has been asked and answered before, but are the free time events for each character hard-wired into a running order or do they come up randomly? If it's the latter, are there free time events for the dead characters that we didn't get to see?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
If the first game is anything to go by, they're hard-wired to come in order, with maybe a few different "I spent time with blank" phrases depending on where you are in the story, I don't know. Generally the characters open up more the longer you spend time with them, and a couple free time events lead into the next.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anyway, I forget if this has been asked and answered before, but are the free time events for each character hard-wired into a running order or do they come up randomly? If it's the latter, are there free time events for the dead characters that we didn't get to see?

The FTE scenes, that is everything that comes after the character responds to the gift, have a fixed order and form a mini-arc with a beginning, middle and end for each character. Often, the first event is just a setup and the arc begins to pick up steam with the second. In SDR2, every character has exactly five scenes.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
If you don't give a gift or give one that's a poor fit for the character, does it affect that scene in any way? Or is the gift just for additional flavor?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

That was horse poo poo. I hosed up my wrists all carpal tunnel style because of my horrible drumming technique and straining to get gold five stars on hard. I then got lessons and learned to use the natural movements your body already makes to drum and never went back to rock band because of how ridiculously simplified it was. Just go get lessons if you like the drums. It's twenty bucks an hour.

Yeah no. Watch a couple of YouTube instruction videos so you don't start with horrible, self-injuring-ly bad technique and then rock out. So much cheaper, least until you actually want to upgrade to a real kit.

orenronen posted:

The FTE scenes, that is everything that comes after the character responds to the gift, have a fixed order and form a mini-arc with a beginning, middle and end for each character. Often, the first event is just a setup and the arc begins to pick up steam with the second. In SDR2, every character has exactly five scenes.

So, wait, do you have to revisit chapters the same way you did to get Nagito's event this chapter to get characters who died before you had enough time to get all the events, for example Togami?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's the way it was in the first game, wasn't it?

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Both oren and others have said there's a better way to get all the FTEs/Hope Shards. My guess is that it's some Endless Free Time mode, where you can just find characters hanging out and chat them up as long as you want. It's possibly a post-game thing or alternate game mode unlocked later?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Ramengank posted:

If you don't give a gift or give one that's a poor fit for the character, does it affect that scene in any way? Or is the gift just for additional flavor?

If it works like the first game, then there are I think 3 tiers of gift
There's "holy poo poo this is the best thing ever," "wow this is pretty neat," and "this is awful i hate you." The first two get the scene, which is unaltered after their reaction to the gift, and the third you get their reaction and are sent away without the event.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

loquacius posted:

Hey now. I have Nagito levels of hope for the dubstep future. One way ticket to Monoworld please.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Here's one place I didn't expect to find a Dangan Ronpa collaboration -- this week's Famitsu's annual character sports competition feature:

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

orenronen posted:

Here's one place I didn't expect to find a Dangan Ronpa collaboration -- this week's Famitsu's annual character sports competition feature:

Now we can all answer the most important question of all: is Monobear better at sports than a Prinny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

orenronen posted:

Monobear knows his way around a hoop I guess

• Locked thread