Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

While they are pissing people off with this they may as well region lock Miiverse regions while they are at it, because english speaking people are literally making GBS threads up the Japanese miiverse to the point I can't even find Japanese posts on the Japanese region Miiverse communities anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Best Buy has Paper Mario for $8!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Paper+M...d=1218691610999

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Lots of people upset about not being able to send dick pics anymore.

Did anyone buy Hometown Story and if so can you give some impressions? What i'm curious about is how much of the game is a shop simulator and how much of the game is a social npc simulator.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

katkillad2 posted:

Lots of people upset about not being able to send dick pics anymore.

Did anyone buy Hometown Story and if so can you give some impressions? What i'm curious about is how much of the game is a shop simulator and how much of the game is a social npc simulator.

From over in the Harvest Moon thread:

I Watson posted:

First impressions of Hometown Story:

+The stuffed dragon this came with is cute. It can't stand on its own though.
-Controls are clumsy.
-Art is bad.
-Graphics are bad.
- - Camera is bad. The town/world map makes me nauseous and I even have the 3D off.
- - - Is not Recettear.
+Tons of villagers and boatloads of nameless NPCs.
+Has integration with the mobile version, looks like you'll be able to shunt items and abilities back and forth...
-...This is done with passwords in the year 2013 :psyduck: At least they are fairly short.
+You can scavenge for free things to sell for max profit.
-Old school Harvest Moon saving, where you can only save at the end of your day.

I'll play a little more tomorrow and form a proper opinion. So far the shop system does not seem that deep, but each villager does have things they like so you can probably game them for more profit.

Reviewers seem to be pretty down on it, and honestly 40 bucks seems like a pretty steep price tag for it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Stuff about Smash levels

This kind of poo poo will never cease to amaze me, people are given tools to make a bunch of neat stuff, and the first thing that goes through their mind is making a huge cock, a swastika, horse dicks, creampied pussies, its just so retarded.

Though Ninty shutting down Swapnote like that is just super dumb, they really have no loving idea about social networking and the net in general, it does not give me any hope for them bettering their infrastructure.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dream Team is also $25

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mario-luigi-dream-team-nintendo-3ds/8628083.p?id=1218879425975&skuId=8628083&st=mario%20dream%20team&lp=1&cp=1

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

quote:

Is not Recettear.

TurnipFritter posted:

Reviewers seem to be pretty down on it, and honestly 40 bucks seems like a pretty steep price tag for it.

Welp, a 3DS Recettear is pretty much what I was hoping for so I guess I'll be skipping Hometown Story :(.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

iajanus posted:

How loving difficult was it to just TURN OFF THE PHOTO SHARING BIT? What else could possibly be bad?

Drawing what someone's boobs/cock looks like on a stick figure. :v: MINE ARE THIS BIG~ It's sad, but the only times that Swapnote really was in use was when it came out, and before Animal Crossing came out, at least for me. It was a good run. They really should get a lock down on accounts so they can just ban the bad apples.

Although we'd probably be some of those apples getting banned. v:v:v

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Edoraz posted:

Drawing what someone's boobs/cock looks like on a stick figure. :v: MINE ARE THIS BIG~ It's sad, but the only times that Swapnote really was in use was when it came out, and before Animal Crossing came out, at least for me. It was a good run. They really should get a lock down on accounts so they can just ban the bad apples.

Although we'd probably be some of those apples getting banned. v:v:v

No kidding, I'm surprised I've been allowed to have a Hitler Mii for this long, I remember the Great Hitler Purge on the Wii, since 9/10 custom Mii's on Mario Kart Wii were Hitlers, before they were banned from use online.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

No kidding, I'm surprised I've been allowed to have a Hitler Mii for this long, I remember the Great Hitler Purge on the Wii, since 9/10 custom Mii's on Mario Kart Wii were Hitlers, before they were banned from use online.

The best feature of the Wii is literally "you can play as/with/against Hitler". The amount of joy Hitler on Wii has brought me is beyond measure.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crawfish posted:

While they are pissing people off with this they may as well region lock Miiverse regions while they are at it, because english speaking people are literally making GBS threads up the Japanese miiverse to the point I can't even find Japanese posts on the Japanese region Miiverse communities anymore.
Is that people with Japanese-region wiis, or can you just go into any region you want? Nintendo seem to be pretty resistant to IP-blocking content they don't have to, and that going away would be a bad thing.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Wank posted:

The amount of joy Hitler on Wii has brought me is beyond measure.

This needs to be the title of the Wii U thread.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I went down to my local Seagull and reserved one of the new special edition LLs coming out on the 21st. I had hard time choosing between the orange x black and the turquoise x black but I ended up going with the turquoise. I figure I'll grab Pokemon and SMT4 from Seagull when I get the system and then register those two to get Fire Emblem for free, then do the rest of my new game shopping on Amazon unless Seagull is having a sale or for some strange reason just has a better price.

It's kind of strange. I can't remember the last time I bought a game new that wasn't a download. I don't get why it's such a different feeling buying a new game instead of a used one, but honestly I kind of like it this way better. I may never buy used games again.

(incidentally they had a really adorable... that dog secretary girl from Animal Crossing... statue but it was like $20 so yeah no. Also also speaking of Animal Crossing good luck finding a physical copy of it anywhere in this stupid city. Guess Amazon is my only resort for that particular game.)

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is that people with Japanese-region wiis, or can you just go into any region you want? Nintendo seem to be pretty resistant to IP-blocking content they don't have to, and that going away would be a bad thing.
You can go into any region you want at the moment and post. I hardly think it would be a bad thing since english whining and offensive and occasional racist slander is choking out all of the Japanese Wii U owners from their own communities. I spent the better part of half an hour looking for any comment by a Japanese person on there, and the only ones I found were on the Animal Crossing Plaza thing from either 3 weeks or a month or two ago.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Crawfish posted:

You can go into any region you want at the moment and post. I hardly think it would be a bad thing since english whining and offensive and occasional racist slander is choking out all of the Japanese Wii U owners from their own communities. I spent the better part of half an hour looking for any comment by a Japanese person on there, and the only ones I found were on the Animal Crossing Plaza thing from either 3 weeks or a month or two ago.

Can you imagine how lovely those guys have it sometimes? Like when Mother 2 came out on the Virtual Console in Japan, the Japanese community just wanted to swap screenshots and talk about the game and poo poo, but the entire MiiVerse board was filled with people going "WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alteisen posted:

This kind of poo poo will never cease to amaze me, people are given tools to make a bunch of neat stuff, and the first thing that goes through their mind is making a huge cock, a swastika, horse dicks, creampied pussies, its just so retarded.

Dick jokes are the highest form of comedy

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

This game is only worth $1 :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Timely Howard posted:

+*
Can you imagine how lovely those guys have it sometimes? Like when Mother 2 came out on the Virtual Console in Japan, the Japanese community just wanted to swap screenshots and talk about the game and poo poo, but the entire MiiVerse board was filled with people going "WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO"

To be fair, that is what led to them finally letting English users play Earthbound again. I don't go to the Japanese communities as I have no reason to but I don't think Nintendo is going to stop it after putting up a video going "We've heard you loud and clear guys and now you get what you want!"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TurnipFritter posted:

I definitely agree that the action they took was ridiculous and they could have come up with a better solution, but this is the company that requires you to use ICQ numbers in 2013.
That's unfair, I was able to remember my ICQ number.

(Jesus, I think I still can :gonk:)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

From over in the Harvest Moon thread:

If you buy from the eshop it gives 60 coins as opposed to 40 for a physical copy.

I played it for a little bit, and there appears to be very little explanation of what is happening. It just goes: Grandma died. Thank goodness you're here, this is how you put productsonthetablewe'reopenforbusiness. Then some random NPC appears that apparently restocks the store, but the only way to tell the difference is that he offers to sell to you when you talk to him.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

noirstronaut posted:

Am I the only person that genuinely liked Sticker Star?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I enjoyed it as well. Wasn't an amazing game, but I had fun with it. I still say they should've included a sheet of stickers in the retail copies though :colbert:.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Some of the criticisms I've heard make it sound like I'd hate the game, but for $8, I could do a whole lot worse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I sure wish Sticker Star was at least 10€. Lowest price around here is £29 on the UK because, you see, it has Mario in the name.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Socket Star it's not worth even 8 dollars. My worst purchase ever from the eShop.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

miscellaneous14 posted:

Some of the criticisms I've heard make it sound like I'd hate the game, but for $8, I could do a whole lot worse.

I remember paying $5 new for Glory of Heracles, which every review acted like that would be a ripoff. I liked it for $5.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sticker Star was such a clusterfuck of a game. I wish I could describe it in way that would make perfect sense, but the closest I can get to is that the "UX" is horrible. In the game, you have to match each boss with a sticker that somewhat corresponds to the field you battle them in. Baseball bat for baseball field etc etc. Yet the rest of the game lives off the pretense that you are in fact a piece of paper and all of these physical things you're doing wouldn't make a bit of sense.

My other gripe with it is that there's no real fun in the game, if that's safe to say. I get that some people enjoyed it, but nothing about the game really struck me as fun as opposed to a chore I had to inevitably get done because the game was one that I bought. There are parts of the game that are motivating towards gameplay, however. As in, there are the obvious parts that you want to finish to get to the next part, but not once did I find myself playing because it was fun.

To compare a game to it to set up a nice contrast, I thought Luigi's Mansion was a pretty mediocre game because it didn't really need to be beat, nor did it do anything to make me want to beat it, but I drat well did because playing it was fun.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I enjoyed it. I would have been pretty disappointed if I had spent more than 25 bucks on it, but I thought it was entertaining enough.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So, Nintendo shutdown the SpotPass feature on Swapnote/Letter Box, because people were sending offensive stuff.

God drat it Mike!

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

gently caress you, this game was great. The visuals and music were the best in the series. It was a delight to explore every world and even the bosses were kind of fun to figure out (and even if you didn't have the right strategy you could brute-force your way through them). I admit it had more than one shortcoming, some thing puzzles were really obtuse and some sections kind of dragged on (and I guess there was very little post-game content), but I feel most of the hate this game gets is from faulty expectations. Take it for what it is, a Paper Mario point-and-click adventure game with some light turn based combat rather than a full fledged Mario RPG.

It's definitely worth it now at $8.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Canned Panda posted:

So, Nintendo shutdown the SpotPass feature on Swapnote/Letter Box, because people were sending offensive stuff.

God drat it Mike!

I sent everybody on my list goatse a couple months ago, sorry guys.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

My other gripe with it is that there's no real fun in the game, if that's safe to say. I get that some people enjoyed it, but nothing about the game really struck me as fun as opposed to a chore I had to inevitably get done because the game was one that I bought. There are parts of the game that are motivating towards gameplay, however. As in, there are the obvious parts that you want to finish to get to the next part, but not once did I find myself playing because it was fun.

This is kind of true in a way. The core gameplay isn't that engaging or difficult, the turn based combat didn't really have any depth. However most of the fun I got from the game was from experiencing the awesome paper dioramas and the incredible music design (Gloop gloop boss?). Exploring the game in general was fun. In a certain way I liked the game as an art piece more than anything else, haha.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Crawfish posted:

But on the other hand, the Othello board being filled with posts about Oreos was awesome.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So I guess the only way they're really going to fix their pedophile/Bad Person problem is to implement a modern account system. Maybe this is the spurring on they need to come into the 21st century in terms of online management?

(Nope, Reggie will show up at your door and personally rip the network adapter right out of all of your Nintendo devices. Problem solved!)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Best Buy is also having a sale on 3DSXL. Back down to $170.

3DSXL Red
3DSXL Blue
3DSXL Pokemon Red
3DSXL Pokemon Blue
3DSXL Black

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Harlock posted:

Best Buy is also having a sale on 3DSXL. Back down to $170.

3DSXL Red
3DSXL Blue
3DSXL Pokemon Red
3DSXL Pokemon Blue
3DSXL Black

Well ain't that a laugh. The only way I'd buy a regular 3DSXL over the Zelda one is so I can pick up the treasure box when you buy the game at Best Buy. But this is a US sale and the treasure box is for Canadian orders.

:negative:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

How did people feel about Mario & Luigi?

Best Buy is selling it for 25 bucks this weekend and I'm looking for something to occupy myself till Zelda's out and Pokemon didn't really do much for me.

EDIT: \/\/ What if I never played any game in the series before? I didn't start playing GBA games till I bought a DS forever ago. :negative:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 1, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Most people including myself liked it and would rate it a second best in the series after Bowser's inside story. Some would rate it after the original superstar saga, but almost everyone would rank it far above Partners in Time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hey guys, Animal Crossing just isn't really my thing so I'm trading it in and picking up either Mario 3D Land or Donkey Kong 3D. I loved Donkey Country for SNES back in the day and I'm sort of tired of Mario, but I know Mario is supposed to be better. Keeping in mind that I have a 2DS, which should I snag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Louisgod posted:

I sent everybody on my list goatse a couple months ago, sorry guys.

Never received it.
You either removed me from your friend list, removed me from the addressees or Nintendo had a filter on goatse. :/

• Locked thread