Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Modus Pwnens posted:

I actually was probably going to back that until I watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eibggZDEWJI

And no Fat Man is the nail in the coffin.

What got me was that they're still planning to use prerendered environments in 2013. And they said they wanted gameplay like 7th Guest or 11th Hour, when 11th Hour was a big pile of poo poo. And when the pitch video was basically an extended "Hey, remember the 90s?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Modus Pwnens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eibggZDEWJI

Umm...wow. That is dire. I mean, they honestly thought a video like that was good idea? After they made it, they still thought it was a good idea? This is the kind of video I'd expect from some guy programming in his parents' basement. Scratch that, I've seen better videos from some guy programming in his parents' basement.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

The lame part of Huniepop is that it's a fuckin match 3 game.

They are cornering the market on moms who love dating sims.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Modus Pwnens posted:

Wow. Are those supposed to be jokes? I can only imagine that video will be blackmail material one day for the people involved.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Azhais posted:

Sounds a lot like Corruption of Champions, only less free!

Do I want to google this? :confused:

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
For your own sanity, no. I did and some things cannot be unseen.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

macnbc posted:

For anyone who remembers the 7th Guest adventure game from the early 90s, and for anyone who has forgotten how horrible its sequel was, the original makers are now Kickstarting a 3rd title in the series.

This project is missing Graeme Devine, the other founding member of Trilobyte and the one with any actual sense. He fought against everything that made The 11th Hour horrible- even if you have no interest in The 7th Guest, everyone should read Haunted Glory, which is a fascinating account on how incompetence can torpedo a game studio. The people who made this Kickstarter are the ones who are responsible for The 11th Hour (and the weird psychosexual FMV non-game Tender Loving Care). The Collector has been in development hell for years and this really feels like a lovely me-too after the response Obduction got.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 1, 2013

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Silento posted:

Do I want to google this? :confused:

If you have to ask the answer is yes. You won't regret it, I promise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MajorB posted:

This project is missing Graeme Devine, the other founding member of Trilobyte and the one with any actual sense. He fought against everything that made The 11th Hour horrible- even if you have no interest in The 7th Guest, everyone should read Haunted Glory, which is a fascinating account on how incompetence can torpedo a game studio. The people who made this Kickstarter are the ones who are responsible for The 11th Hour (and the weird psychosexual FMV non-game Tender Loving Care). The Collector has been in development hell for years and this really feels like a lovely me-too after the response Obduction got.

Thanks for that link. drat, it's a shame, but it goes to show how valuable communication skills are...and a solid grasp of budget planning.

Also, Hahahaha 7th Guest 3. :jerkbag:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

:shepicide: Hobby: collecting underwear. :shepicide:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gynovore posted:

:shepicide: Hobby: collecting underwear. :shepicide:

So she has something in common with the players, that's a good foundation for a relationship :v:

This is... an awfully low funding goal for an MMO. I guess it does seem to be polish money and a publicity kickstarter.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

macnbc posted:

What got me was that they're still planning to use prerendered environments in 2013. And they said they wanted gameplay like 7th Guest or 11th Hour, when 11th Hour was a big pile of poo poo. And when the pitch video was basically an extended "Hey, remember the 90s?"

The 7th Guest itself is a big pile of poo poo. At the time those full-motion videos blew our loving minds, it sold us CD ROM drives and it served it's purpose well in that regard. It is one of the worst aged games ever though, nothing about it is really redeemable in this day and age. To make a game in 2013 with the same design and development philosophy is insane.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NTRabbit posted:

This is... an awfully low funding goal for an MMO. I guess it does seem to be polish money and a publicity kickstarter.

Oceania posted:

1. No limit

This game has no limitations. Users have total freedom in their choice and modifications of the gameplay. They can affect Oceania's universe, co-creating and redesigning it as they see fit.

Oceania posted:

Players are able to change the world and partly can be its creators.
Users can create almost any subject and they decide on their own if this subject is free or can be bought in their game character’s personal shop.
Almost any player can take part in creating and filling up the game world with their own different subjects, monsters and other stuff. Or they can create theirs own locations and lands which are available (or not available) to other players.
Any user can send us a request for creating and adding to the game certain custom content. We determine whether this content is useful and consistent with the game's style and spirit. If we approve the request, the user will be sent specific requirements to the content and may create and submit it. We check if the submission fits the requirements and either add the content to the game world or send it back to the author to be modified and/or revised. According to the author's wishes, the content may be added to the game as freely accessible to all, available for purchase from an NPC, sold at the personal shop of the author's character, etc.

Sounds practical. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've already implemented a blanket ban and gently caress you on any game that tries to throw "it's your game your world you play it and make it your way" bullshit into its pitch.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Something rather goofy that seemed to get overlooked (to no real surprise) is Drone, an open source Bluetooth controller for just about every open source device. I'm a little baffled it actually reached its' $30,000 goal considering I can't see any purpose for the thing existing. All the open source platforms they list have plenty of options for controllers.

Hell, even the Ouya apparently lets you use a PS3 controller. This isn't even getting into if the quality of the device is there or not.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Yodzilla posted:

I've already implemented a blanket ban and gently caress you on any game that tries to throw "it's your game your world you play it and make it your way" bullshit into its pitch.

Because you don't like that type of game? Or because the people trying to KS them often don't have the first idea of how maek gaem and foolishly promise the moon?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Just pledged $20 on Rimworld. It looks like a cross between Starbound (The only other kickstarter I've backed) and Dwarf Fortress. What's not to like?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

madjackmcmad posted:

Because you don't like that type of game? Or because the people trying to KS them often don't have the first idea of how maek gaem and foolishly promise the moon?

The latter and also because they're literally impossible to build and make function in any kind of meaningful or fulfilling way. Second Life is the closest thing anyone has every done to that end and it's nothing but a glorified chat room. Trying to actually build or play a proper "game" in it is a complete waste of time and people have no idea what they're getting into with pie in the sky promises like that.

Focus on making a compelling a competent game people.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

The latter and also because they're literally impossible to build and make function in any kind of meaningful or fulfilling way. Second Life is the closest thing anyone has every done to that end and it's nothing but a glorified chat room. Trying to actually build or play a proper "game" in it is a complete waste of time and people have no idea what they're getting into with pie in the sky promises like that.
THIS.
I know that "sandbox" games are/were the hot-poo poo thing for a while now, but sometimes people forget that a game with constraints can actually be better than if it were "open". Portal and Portal 2 were insanely constrained, literally a series of rooms with puzzles in them. The entire game was heavily "on rails". And yet, both titles somehow won dozens of awards and ended up on many peoples' lists of their favorite games ever. The games succeeded because they were laser-focused and "constrained", not in spite of it.

Sorry for the rant, I just cannot agree emphatically enough about my annoyance at the "more freedom always equals AWSUM GAEM" school of thought.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The issue is less that the games they are attempting to make are sandboxes and more that they are promising to make every game mechanic imaginable or to give the players the dev tools to make them, the former being impossible and the latter resulting in a even mix of hackers and sex dungeons

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

SCALE is sitting at about 65% funding currently, and they posted a really interesting art update. For someone who is a complete 3d Modelling layman, it was a pretty interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TKzUv3VLI&hd=1

I came across this from KC Green's comic (gunshow) because he does some artwork for it and I personally am enticed by the idea of the game. The old polygon look to it is really cool too, from what they've showed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Something rather goofy that seemed to get overlooked (to no real surprise) is Drone, an open source Bluetooth controller for just about every open source device. I'm a little baffled it actually reached its' $30,000 goal considering I can't see any purpose for the thing existing. All the open source platforms they list have plenty of options for controllers.

Hell, even the Ouya apparently lets you use a PS3 controller. This isn't even getting into if the quality of the device is there or not.
I'd only be interested if that was iOS7 Game Controller compatible, but it's specifically not compatible in their FAQ, so forget it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue is less that the games they are attempting to make are sandboxes and more that they are promising to make every game mechanic imaginable or to give the players the dev tools to make them, the former being impossible and the latter resulting in a even mix of hackers and sex dungeons

Its called 'feature creep' and it kills more software projects than anything else. This is why I back games by people who already have a demo, and who have a clear design document with a goal in mind, and who have experience making games. If you don't have those three, then odds are you're just going to spiral out of control slowly until you die a quiet death. This is also why software management is a pretty serious discipline, and people who are good at it get paid bookoo bucks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Radio the Universe update: Cells!

Also, Sixee says things are going fine and all the major systems are complete except for enemy AI. This has been a remarkably drama-free kickstarter so far.

edit: I'd also like to add that I was pleasantly surprised when Sixee asked for backer input on the previous update and basically every response was measured and at least attempted to be thoughtful! :monocle:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
For those of us who aren't backers, what are we looking at exactly? What do the cells do?

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

PiCroft posted:

Just pledged $20 on Rimworld. It looks like a cross between Starbound (The only other kickstarter I've backed) and Dwarf Fortress. What's not to like?

It pushed all my nerd buttons. I'm very excited about that one.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Azhais posted:

Sounds a lot like Corruption of Champions, only less free!

trap sprung

(I am ashamed to admit I clicked on the link to his site but) apparently he's the same guy? And the game is supposed to be free.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Not so much of a Kickstarter as a boot further down the road: Bugbear's Next Car Game is on Kickstarter. $350k target for the actual FlatOut 3, with the traditional "next gen console version" weighing in as a $1.5mil stretch goal. Previous pre-orders will be honoured, naturally.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Beaucoup?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Delusibeta posted:

Not so much of a Kickstarter as a boot further down the road: Bugbear's Next Car Game is on Kickstarter. $350k target for the actual FlatOut 3, with the traditional "next gen console version" weighing in as a $1.5mil stretch goal. Previous pre-orders will be honoured, naturally.

Very nice. They've got my twenty bucks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Krabkolash posted:

Looks like the creator of the Red Baron games from the 90s is doing a remake.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron

I never played them because I was never a fan of flight sims, but its nice to see something go for nostalgia besides old console games.

Not sure about the market for a WWI flight sim in this era is though.

Looks like this fell through.

quote:

As some of you have noticed and mentioned, the Kickstarter for Red Baron hasn’t been quite as successful as we had hoped. We are a new to crowdfunding, and in turn the Red Baron campaign didn’t quite reach as many ears as we needed.

That being said, we are going to cancel the Kickstarter campaign… for now. We will still be moving forward with Red Baron with the plans to relaunch the campaign early next year.

In the next few months we will be honing our message and vision, along with improving Red Baron based on the feedback we received from all of you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Orzo posted:

For those of us who aren't backers, what are we looking at exactly? What do the cells do?
Here is his description of the image:

quote:

"cells":

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Its called 'feature creep' and it kills more software projects than anything else. This is why I back games by people who already have a demo, and who have a clear design document with a goal in mind, and who have experience making games. If you don't have those three, then odds are you're just going to spiral out of control slowly until you die a quiet death. This is also why software management is a pretty serious discipline, and people who are good at it get paid bookoo bucks.

This is why Dwarf Fortress, after so many years of development, still has a terrible interface. I guess it could be argued in DF's case that feature creep basically IS the design document, and it's certainly led to some of the most unique elements of the game, but it's also why so many things stay broken for so long. He's so busy implementing new stuff that he never really goes back to fix old problems, until they get bad enough that they start impeding future development.

The main problem with games that promise "You can do anything, be anyone!" though isn't feature creep - because feature creep requires having features in the first place. Promising "You can do anything!" really isn't saying anything about the game, because it's so vague. If you describe freedom in an actual games, you usually say things like "You can kill any character without breaking the plot!" or "You can build huge imposing structures!". Those are statements that imply actual gameplay.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 1, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Edit: nm

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 2, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oh god no people dressing up goofy and having fun how awful, thanks for the heads up!

e: nvm

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Those are really loving tame Halloween costumes. Holy crap dude, over react much?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

monster on a stick posted:

Don't open up the Shantae update :stonk:

I'm going to regret opening my mail, am I not?

Edit: That was so tame I'm almost disappointed.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 1, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Those are really loving tame Halloween costumes. Holy crap dude, over react much?

Goons trip over themselves to remind everyone how much they hate anything anyone from Tumblr might like.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The kickstarter for Paradise Lost: First Contact is up and running.

While the title of this game is as generic as it can get, I really like the graphics style. Reminds me of Confederate Express, Hyper Light Drifter and all those other games that finally figured out how to do decent sprite graphics on limited budget, without going all-out Minecraft or Habbo Hotel.

The description says: "Take the role of an alien plant and escape from a hostile scientific facility, full of secrets and dangerous experiments."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP66bmLqRTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Goons trip over themselves to remind everyone how much they hate anything anyone from Tumblr might like.

Let's hope he doesn't find out that Sir Patrick Stewart dressed up as a lobster

Irony.or.Death posted:

If you have to ask the answer is yes. You won't regret it, I promise.

And I apologize for anyone that googled CoC. I figured the context would have made it obvious that it wasn't something anyone would want to search for.