Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bruceski posted:

I'm thinking more of a

Come on now, you can do better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

PrivateEyeball posted:

When Psych climbs further into this LP, I'd really like to see a blooper reel based around Anubis's scythe. Today I learned that trying to kill an angry shopkeeper with the scythe is a bad idea. Even worse when you have 80+ bombs and choose not to use them.

That thing terrified me for the longest time, and I wouldn't even use it, but now that I think I've figured out it's twisted logic I've been able to employ it to great effect.

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Onean is not on board.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This business cat video was in the related links, and oh man why haven't I seen it before.

Shmorky draws the best business pets.:allears:

Edit: and in a vain effort to stay on topic, how does the original Gamemaker version of Spelunky compare to the new version? I presume the commercial release is obviously more polished, but in which ways?

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

This business cat video was in the related links, and oh man why haven't I seen it before.

Shmorky draws the best business pets.:allears:

Edit: and in a vain effort to stay on topic, how does the original Gamemaker version of Spelunky compare to the new version? I presume the commercial release is obviously more polished, but in which ways?

A couple new secret levels, new enemies (so far the spitting cobra, the snail, and the bees), new items (freeze ray, web gun, camera, mystery boxes, other items we havn't seen yet), new character skins, better graphics, things can happen off screen (in the original everything off screen was frozen except for the ghost), and a bunch of small tweeks. The HD version also has multiplayer, but not over the internet, you have to be on the same computer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

They're generally the same game with the remake having more stuff overall. Original objectively has better music, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Original objectively has better music, though.

In either case you'll probably end up turning the music off pretty quickly.

Also, the web gun was in the original, not that I was ever able to make good use of it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In either case you'll probably end up turning the music off pretty quickly.

Also, the web gun was in the original, not that I was ever able to make good use of it.
Optimal original Spelunky experience replaced the music from the game with the music from The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://store.steampowered.com/app/239350/

Looks like the game's half off on steam for a while.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

They're generally the same game with the remake having more stuff overall. Original objectively has better music, though.
Also the original didn't have such backwards hanging-on-walls controls, among other things.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Original objectively has better music, though.

The original's music gives me a drat headache. Can't stand it.

Blow your "objectively better music". :colbert:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Roxors posted:

Yeah, none of the guns in this game have an ammo limit, which makes them all very good, except of course for the webshooter.

The Web Gun is pretty good, if you consider it a droppable Climbing Glove instead of a gun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jegan posted:

The Web Gun is pretty good, if you consider it a droppable Climbing Glove instead of a gun.

How do you go up with it :confused: I can never manage to jump out of the top of a web; jumping just slowly makes it degrade.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jegan posted:

That sounds like an excellent recipe for falling to your death after getting hit by something, or fat-fingering the controls. I always a avoid the web gun because it doesn't directly kill. I guess it is useful for creating buffer zones against enemies, but then you still have piles of enemies around.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Optimal original Spelunky experience replaced the music from the game with the music from The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star.

I found the SMB soundtrack to be perfect for speed"running" myself.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

How do you go up with it :confused: I can never manage to jump out of the top of a web; jumping just slowly makes it degrade.

You should be able to jump while in a web just fine. I put together a short video that may help you. http://www.twitch.tv/sajegan/c/3161343

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jegan posted:

You should be able to jump while in a web just fine. I put together a short video that may help you. http://www.twitch.tv/sajegan/c/3161343

Hm, I'm only playing the original. Maybe they changed the "web physics" in the remake. Even if I mash the jump button I basically just end up staying in place.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, it's a remake only thing. The Web Gun is pretty useless in the original.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
You could do it in the original, but you could only get like 3 tiles of height.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

How lucky! Spelunky is Steam's midweek madness sale!

Really enjoying the LP so far. There's something magical about watching things fly all over the screen and seeing how disastrous it ends up. :allears:

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

The day after I buy the Steam version (in case I ever get around to streaming it), of course. Totally worth it, though.

Only the Steam version has daily challenges, correct? I know the GOG and Vita versions don't.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PrivateEyeball posted:

The day after I buy the Steam version (in case I ever get around to streaming it), of course. Totally worth it, though.

Only the Steam version has daily challenges, correct? I know the GOG and Vita versions don't.

That's correct, but the Vita/PS3 version is suppose to be getting the Daily Challenges soon. And hopefully fixing the trophies, as some of the harder ones don't work.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

I'm really enjoying the runs of this thread - I had a lot of fun with the original spelunky, though I have only ever been able to make it consistently to the Jungle, and sometimes to the Ice Caves.

This is convincing me to consider the HD version, and to play with a controller. That said, my controller hookup only works with my desktop, and Spelunky has basically been my favorite travel game - always new and bite sized enough for train and plane rides.

I'm looking forward to seeing more cool new bits from this version - seems that they really polished this release.

Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.
Between this thread and the sale, I decided to try the game myself and am quite enjoying it. I really didn't think I would -- I've had almost no fun with games like Binding of Isaac due to feeling too random and unfair. But Spelunky seems far more structured. The levels are random, but each has pretty consistent pieces, so it feels much more like my own skill is holding me back rather than luck.

I couldn't use the keyboard at all though. You make it look easy, but I died 5+ times just in the tutorial... then I tried the pad and flew through it with no trouble. Item carrying is my biggest complaint though, it's not really fun running back and forth to move multiple items along.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
The best part of this game has to be the random factor though. Sometimes, you'll die 15 times in the mines. Sometimes, you'll load up a run, and suddenly get further than you've ever gotten.

Yes. I did just have a first in getting to one of the areas that I'm sure will be covered later. Feels great. I really like this game.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't even remember what the original soundtrack sounded like because I entirely replaced it with Kirby tunes as soon as I knew how.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
NEW UPDATE

It's time to see what happens when shopkeepers get angry. Also, one very nasty trap makes its appearance and shows mean business!

Chapter 4 - We Will Rock You

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do the shopkeepers really never let you go? In the original, they'd eventually (i.e. after a few levels) stop aggroing you on sight as long as you never actually killed a shopkeeper. You'd have to sneak past one or two of them guarding the exits, though.

A neat thing you could do is set a Mantrap loose in their shop, wait for it to eat the shopkeeper, steal his shotgun, flee (he'll burst free from the Mantrap a bit later), and have a shotgun for the rest of the game without pissing any shopkeepers off.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Doggy!

Oh man this game just got like three times better.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Do the shopkeepers really never let you go?

Yep; the whole rest of the game.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Having angry shopkeepers around has pretty much become a fact of life for me when I play. Maybe if that god drat jetpack wasn't so expensive... :argh:

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Do the shopkeepers really never let you go? In the original, they'd eventually (i.e. after a few levels) stop aggroing you on sight as long as you never actually killed a shopkeeper. You'd have to sneak past one or two of them guarding the exits, though.

A neat thing you could do is set a Mantrap loose in their shop, wait for it to eat the shopkeeper, steal his shotgun, flee (he'll burst free from the Mantrap a bit later), and have a shotgun for the rest of the game without pissing any shopkeepers off.

I want to try this out. The problem is that carrying a Mantrap any distance may be riskier than dealing with pissed off shopkeeps.

PrivateEyeball fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 1, 2013

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Are you sure the Mansel was in his underwear? It looked like a leotard to me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a speedo and a bow tie.

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!
"A true adventurer's gotta be open to every single thing that is ahead of you."

Whether it involved rescuing (and therefore receiving kisses from) living beings that cover heterosexuality, homosexuality and bestiality, it's all fair game here, at Spelunky!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like everyone probably ends up getting sick of buying items and starts killing the shopkeepers eventually. They're actually not that hard to deal with once you figure out how their AI works. Plus the shopkeepers standing at the exits are actually a lot easier to deal with in the later areas.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Asimo posted:

It's a speedo and a bow tie.

The damsel yells for help, the pug howls mournfully, and the mansel...quacks? At least that's always how I heard it.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Blackray Jack posted:

The damsel yells for help, the pug howls mournfully, and the mansel...quacks? At least that's always how I heard it.

It's a very manly quack.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for playing this, Psych. I loved the original game, but I can't get the HD version to run on my computer so I have to enjoy it vicariously. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So, does your kill count in a level have any in-game effects? It doesn't seem to add to your currency/score at the end of a level, so if I see some spiders near the exit, is there any motivation to go after them, or should I just leave them alone?

• Locked thread