Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

The first game I tried fizzled out pretty early, but I'm the persistent sort, so I'll give it another shot.

I'll be running the same game, as it didn't get that far past the meeting with Mr. Kim. Things will be somewhat similar to the first run, so if that kills it for you, well, don't submit, I guess.

I'm not sure why interest waned, but just to be up front, I'll warn everyone that I am running this as an RP heavy run. That isn't to say there won't be combat, but that largely depends on how the runners choose to proceed. There are plenty of opportunities for intense combat all throughout the run. Further, I've got the run planned to span a good length of time, across multiple groups, should things happen that way. Choices are pretty open and a lot can happen. I'm not going to force a group into a fight, but I'm not going to force stealth either. How much violence you encounter depends entirely on the actions of your team. I'm flexible and I encourage player freedom, so do what you want and I'll do my very best to improvise and keep up should you go off the rails.

So, Korea. There isn't a lot about Korea in official Shadowrun materials, but what little we do know is this.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Korea

quote:

In 2005, South Korean President Rhee was murdered by a North Korean communist dissident, though some the assassin was Japanese trained. With Japanese support, General Yoon, head of the army, seized control and invaded North Korea. The following year, North Korea retaliated with nuclear missile strikes against Japan. All of the missiles failed to detonate. Korea was unified by the end of the year. Japan then sent Imperial troops to "guard" the North Korean nuclear sites.
TimelineEdit

2005 - President Rhee is assassinated. General Yoon assumes power and starts the Second Korean War.
2006 - North Korea launches nuclear weapons against Japan. North Korea and South Korea are unified, ending the Second Korean War.
2007 - Kwonsham Industries formed from mergers of privatized North Korean companies.
2011 - First spirit village seen at Chejudo Island.
2023 - President-General Yoon dies. Admiral Park selected by military as President.
2030 - Eastern Tiger Corporation formed from merger of Samsung-LG, Daewoo and South Korean Energy
2040s - BTL abuse is at epidemic levels but controlled by social organizations like the Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church
2055 - The Unification Church is revealed as a front for insect spirits.
2059 - The Pacific Prosperity Group is formed, with ETC, Samyung, and Kwonsham as founding members
2060 - President-General Hwang retires. General Kang-ho Lee becomes President.
2064 - Kwonsham Industries files for bankruptcy protection.

Shadowrun Wiki

On the Wiki
Wiki Activity
Random page
Videos
Photos
Shadowrun
Community

Contribute
Watchlist Random page Recent changes
Korea
Edit
Talk0
2,458pages on
this wiki
Korea
{{{localisation}}}
flag
Government Type: Parliamentary Republic with Military Presidency
Capital: Seoul
Leaders: :President-General: Kang-ho Lee
Population 98,136,000
Human 52%
Elf 15%
Dwarf 8%
Ork 16%
Troll 5%
Other 4%
Per Capita Income: 21,000₯
Estimated SINless: 12%
Below Poverty Level: 20%
Corporate Affiliation: 61%
Education:
Less Than Twelve Years 15%
High School Equivalency 42%
College Degrees 30%
Advanced Degrees 13%
Major Ethnic Groups:

Korean: 83%
Japanese: 12%
Other: 5%

Major Languages Spoken:

Korean: 94%
Japanese: 43%
English: 35%

Major Religions:

Shamanist: 31%
Buddhist: 24%
Christian: 18%
Confucian: 5%
Unaffiliated/Other: 10%
None: 12%

Currency: Won (W)

Exchange rate: 1,000W=1₯

CrashChart Medical Coverage: 80%

Guaranteed Response Time: 10 minutes

Contents
[show]
History Edit

In 2005, South Korean President Rhee was murdered by a North Korean communist dissident, though some the assassin was Japanese trained. With Japanese support, General Yoon, head of the army, seized control and invaded North Korea. The following year, North Korea retaliated with nuclear missile strikes against Japan. All of the missiles failed to detonate. Korea was unified by the end of the year. Japan then sent Imperial troops to "guard" the North Korean nuclear sites.
TimelineEdit

2005 - President Rhee is assassinated. General Yoon assumes power and starts the Second Korean War.
2006 - North Korea launches nuclear weapons against Japan. North Korea and South Korea are unified, ending the Second Korean War.
2007 - Kwonsham Industries formed from mergers of privatized North Korean companies.
2011 - First spirit village seen at Chejudo Island.
2023 - President-General Yoon dies. Admiral Park selected by military as President.
2030 - Eastern Tiger Corporation formed from merger of Samsung-LG, Daewoo and South Korean Energy
2040s - BTL abuse is at epidemic levels but controlled by social organizations like the Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church
2055 - The Unification Church is revealed as a front for insect spirits.
2059 - The Pacific Prosperity Group is formed, with ETC, Samyung, and Kwonsham as founding members
2060 - President-General Hwang retires. General Kang-ho Lee becomes President.
2064 - Kwonsham Industries files for bankruptcy protection.

Politics Edit

Korea professes to be a democracy with an elected National Assembly, and a Prime Minister as it head. However, the clock has turned back to the 1970s, as Korea has returned to military dictatorship. Recently, President-General Lee has tried to use nationalism, portraying Japan and Japanese corporations as occupiers, to support his government. Of course, this places him in conflict with his Japanese supporters.

There are numerous political parties, including the Sang-Kun Anh's Korean Democratic Alliance, and Soo-hyun Shin's archconservative Celestial Path Party. The Korean Communist Party is banned by law, but still exists. There are also radical policlubs like the March 1919 Policlub, named after the March 1st movement.

Women are the majority of Korean shadowrunners. Men are usually, riggers, street samurai, and deckers. Most shadowrunners work exclusively with one fixer. Working with multiple fixers is strongly discouraged.

More at that link.

I've made up a few of my own details as well.

Technomancers aren't so much feared here as they are fetishized. They are still extremely rare, however. The Matrix is a major loving deal in Korea, even more so than just about anywhere else. Matrix Gaming is a national pasttime and many of the top players are technomancers, or more likely, hackers desperately trying to pretend. They're still basically treated as a cross between a celebrity and a zoo animal. Being obsessed over is not the same as being respected, and metahuman rights still have a long way to go with technomancers here. Still, better than being a dwarf, orc, or troll...

Magicians are a mixed bag. Combat mages are feared as destructive elements of society, difficult to control but thankfully rare. Alchemists are generally viewed as oddities, but often sought out for their mystical preparations, as Korea has always had faith in mystical remedies. Conjurers, known locally as "mudang", are highly respected. The vast majority are female, although male mudang do exist. Mudang have always been respected in Korea, but now that they can actually summon and banish spirits beyond any shadow of a doubt, their influence has grown greatly, and you'll find one on staff in a few major government facilities. Courts are known to use them frequently in murder cases, as having the victim as a witness is useful, although not always the deciding factor in a trial (particularly high profile cases involving the rich and powerful, where nuyen speaks much louder than some poor dead slob). They are still quite rare, of course.

Private weapon ownership of any kind is banned to all but a few specialized professions. This, of course, does little to deter those living in the shadows, as anywhere in the New World.

Cybernetic enhancement is a cultural norm. Nearly everyone has at least one cybernetic replacement. Most are simply cosmetic modifications, but professionals usually have some sort of functional modification to assist in their jobs. Obvious implants are a hot trend.

I'll be choosing characters by what I consider to be an interesting concept, as well as deciding based on what I have planned for the run, but the former has more influence than the latter. It should go without saying that Matrix presence will be a major help here, although it is not by any means required. Pretty much any mix of characters can make it through this run, although certain parts will be much more challenging than others if specific roles are unfilled. Now personally, this makes the game more interesting to me, so I won't insist on any particular archetype. Make what you want to play, and we'll do our best to make it work.

I hate to add this last part, but I do need to request that if you're going to submit a character, please be reasonably sure you'll be able to play at least long enough to actually start the run. I have a job where I spend a lot of time unsupervised in front of the internet, so time is absolutely not a factor for me, although do be aware that I live in Korea, so I'll be posting during most peoples' nighttimes.

I'll leave registration open until Nov. 5th, 8PM, CST. Please submit a character sheet and background to this thread. The hook is basically that you've been called for a job basically out of nowhere by an unknown Korean Mr. Johnson, locally referred to as "Mr. Kim". I'll leave it up to you as to how you ended up in Korea, but for story purposes, it is best that your character is not from Korea (although Korean blood wouldn't present any issues; just citizenship).

I know there are still weaknesses in the ruleset, and there are some really overpowered characters that can be made. I'm new to 5e, so I'm going to trust that no one does anything crazy like edge casting magicians or deckers chaining RCC's.

I'm not averse to porting things over from 4th edition sourcebooks, particularly traditions and qualities, so if you want to do so, just ask me about it and I'll make something up for you.

Standard character creation rules.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I missed out last time, so I think I'll make something this time and give 5th Edition a shot. Gotta scratch that Shadowrun itch.

I'm going to do something heavily Matrix related, but whether that's a technomancer or a hacker or rigger or what, I've yet to decide. I don't think Adept Hacker is viable this time around, unfortunately.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Can you give any input as to why my last guy didn't make the cut? My current game fizzled as well and I am jonesing for some some Shadowrun pretty badly.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I did like the character, it was really just a matter of not being able to take everyone. By the time I had chosen the team, there were very few magical characters, so I had to choose between cybered melee and adept melee, and without giving too much away, the team really needed some magical representation.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Any unofficial errata or house rules (such as the mystic adept karma cost)?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

All official errata is in play, and I'm open to suggestion on anything unofficial that you might have.

Just a few house rules. One point of Edge is restored on critical successes and for feats of exceptionally ballsy baddassery. I won't allow a decker to slave an RCC to his deck and use it to run noise reduction or firewall programs.

Mages can't assense a Technomancer unless they both know what to look for and have a good reason to be looking for it. They'll notice a strange aura, but unless they've been trained on just what a Technomancer aura looks like, that's all they'll get.

If there is anything from the 4th edition splatbooks you really liked, spells, qualities, etc., just ask me and we'll work out some sort of port. Certain things, like insect shaman and the like won't be allowed, but most of it should be just fine.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I dunno if there's any actual official errata yet, though there are vague "unofficial" ones (the only one I can think of are the mystic adept changes).

Dunno just yet if I'll make a character since I get enough of Korea in my day to day life :p. If I do, I'll probably give decking a whirl.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Bummed the original game died after I got in as a replacement. So submitting my non-face version of Blitz(Illusion/infiltration shaman). If we end up needing a face, I can easily switch.

Darkness. Where am I? Why is everything moving? Reaching into his pocket, Blitz finds his lighter, flicking it on, he appears to be in a metal room of some sort. Sitting up, things start coming back to Blitz.

He was on a run gone bad... Break into the customs warehouse and grab some package. Something went wrong and there were trolls with assault cannons and a gunship in the air. UCAS Army maybe? With that kind of firepower it was either them or one of the Triple A's. After being cut off from the rest of the team, Blitz managed to sneak into a cargo ship at the port next door and pass out from exhaustion.

pre:
Hoi, you won't believe where I ended up.  Drecking Korea!  You know that job you sent 
me to, well I guess you already know it went bad.  Got split up from the others and 
had to hide somewhere.  Woke up in a cargo ship, managed to talk my way out of being 
keelhauled and was dumped at their next stop, not-very-sunny Korea.  I've got 
literally 50 nuyen on me, don't what to do now. 
pre:
REPLY from Xavier@LeeNoodleHouse
You're burning hot.  Feds after you.  Word is Johnson lied about what you 
were picking up.  No one is saying what it is, but your description and video is all 
over the trids here. Don't come back, more likely end up in a body bag rather than the 
back of a KE cruiser.  You're better off where you are.  I know a guy who knows a guy.
Can probably get you work there.  Guy's name is Casper.  You know how it goes from 
here.  Good luck. 

The bar, would have fit in nicely in the Barrens, if the Barrens were filled with old Korean men and had blaring K-rock music and was tropical themed, down to the fake palm frond walls. In other words, it was nothing like any bar in the Barrens. But in these circumstances, you go wherever you can get help.

Casper was pretty easy to find, the only other Caucasian in the place. As Blitz sits down, Casper starts talking. "You show up here with nothing, so you're in trouble. Don't really care what you did to land yourself here, but putting you to work puts money in my pocket so I'll find you something to do, it may not be what you're used to, but you can live on it." Shortly after, the meeting was over and Blitz was back on his own, waiting for a call for work.

pre:
A Magician
B  Attributes
C Skills 
D resources
E human (1)

Name: Peter Schneider
Streetname: Blitz

BOD: 3      Init: 7 +1d6
AGI: 3      Astral Init: 7 +2d6
REA: 4      Body: 9
STR: 2      Stun: 10
CHA: 6          
INT: 3       Limits:
LOG: 3         Mental - 5
WIL: 4         Physical - 4
EDG: 3	       Social - 7
Magic 6
Essence 6

Qualities (-4 karma)
Quick Healer (3 Karma)
Mentor Spirit: Cat (5 karma)
  +2 gymnastics
  +2 Illusion spells
Mild Addiction: Alcohol (+4 karma)

Skills (C 28/2 + 2 rating 5 magic)
Spellcasting 6
Counterspelling 5
Summoning group 2
  Summoning 2
  Banishing 2
  Binding 2
Assensing 3
Gymnastics 5
Pistols 4
Sneaking 5
Con 3
Negotiation 3
Perception 4

Knowledge skills (12 freebie)
Street Knowledge: Seattle 2
Street Knowledge: Seoul 1
Parazoology 4
Spirits 2
English N
Japanese 2
German 1

Spells
Stunbolt
Lightning Bolt
Heal
Increased Reflexes
Increase Agility
Chaos
Improved Invisibility
Physical Mask
Trid Phantasm
Levitate

Contacts
Xavier 4 connections/3 loyalty – Fixer.  Xavier does what he must to get by.  He runs
the family business, a noodle house, but for those who know his real business, the 
basement provides anything a runner would need. 

Casper 6 connections/1 loyalty - Retired Smuggler. Some say he was one of the first to
make a T-Bird run through Indian Territory, others say he’s just an old man who 
embellishes a lot.  Now in his 60s and retired, he spends most days in the bars of 
the expat community.  Knows a lot of people in and out of the biz.

Jackknife 2 connections/2 loyalty - Ganger.  Member of the gang that provides 
protection near Blitz's apartment.  May know what is going on around the neighborhood,
but not much more.

Resources 50,000 

Ares Predator V            725Y
  Concealable Holster      150Y
  Spare clip                 5Y
  50 rounds regular ammo   100Y
Armor Jacket              1000Y
Renraku Sensei Commlink   1000Y
Rating 1 Fake SIN         2500Y
Rating 6 Goggles           300Y
  Image link                25Y
  low light vision         500Y
  Vision Enhancement 4    2000Y
Earbuds rating 3           150Y
  Audio Enhancement 3     1500Y
Gecko Tape Gloves          250Y
Respirator rating 6        300Y
150 Drams of reagent      3000Y

Spellcasting Focus (Combat) rating 2 8000 (4 karma)
Sustaining Focus (Health) rating 4 16000 (8 karma)
Sustaining Focus (Illusion) Rating 3 12000 (6 karma)

1 months squatter 500Y
pre:
Qualities -4
Bind focus -18

Remaining 3 karma

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
It was just three days after the boss's funeral when the consiglieri called Amalia into his office.

"You know why you're here, right?"

"Nope!" He couldn't help but crack a smile at her unceasing chipperness. "Oh, is it because I'm going to be up for election, or is - "

"Stop. Stop. No." He let out a world-weary sigh. "Listen, no way you of all people would have the brains to run our thing. Let me get to the point before you bust a vocal cord chatting my ear off. We need to elect a new boss and the two main contenders got real polarized views on what to do with you."

"Well I'm still good as an enforcer and all that and I know Emilio doesn't have beef with me but I don't think Jose really dislikes me enough to do anything and - "

"Stop. You know the real reason why he hates your guts?"

"I know he always says he hates the way I talk and that I'm hyper and - "

"Stop! That didn't require an answer." The old man paused to massage both temples with a single hand. "It's because when Jose got drunk and killed your parents in that crash, the boss took you in and fixed you up so that you could be a constant reminder of his monumental screw-up. Not to discount the whole feeling sorry and responsible aspect, of course. The deal was going - "

"I've forgiven him, though! I mean, I barely remember my parents anyways - "

"Amalia, shut up for once! I'm trying to break some bad news to you!" She gave him a pouting frown and he held his hands up apologetically in response. "Listen, the deal was that you'd be useful enough to us to justify the cost of saving you. You have any idea how much all that hardware in you is worth?"

"A lot?"

"An understatement to be sure. Now don't get me wrong, you're definitely worth it, it's just that we're still in the red on you. I also need to get you out of sight and mind - and especially out of hearing range - before the election starts, because those two are already about ready to strangle each other over whether to off you or promote you. The last thing we need is an internal war, so here's what I've got." With little ceremony, he slid an itinerary across the table to her. Real paper. "I've arranged a lend-lease with one of the Jopok guys we've been working with."

"A lend-what? Oh, the same guys at the meeting I was translating for? Am I going to be - ?"

"Yes, the same guys at the trade meet. They pay us money, you stay on standby for any jobs they need you for." He leaned back in his chair as she read over the papers. "With their payment, we've broken even on you. You're free."

"I see what you're getting at." Amalia sprang to her feet and glared daggers at the old man. "I'm not leaving the family! I've worked too drat hard and lost too many - "

"You're leaving for your own drat good and for the good of the family! This is non-negotiable!" He turned his back to her in an attempt to conceal how upset he was. "We have you set up with an underboss named Song and a good doc in the area. Private jet leaves tomorrow. Say your good-byes. If you're good to come back, we'll call through Song. We might call, we might not, but don't call back once you're there."

She stood and made for the door in complete silence.

"First time I've ever heard you say nothing," the old man mumbled under his breath. "Thanks, kid."

pre:
A Resources
B Attributes
C Skills 
D Human (3)
E Magic

Name: Amalia Russo
Streetname: "Mad Dog"

BOD: 3      Init: 13 + 3d6
AGI: 5      Body: 12
REA: 5 (7)  Stun: 9
STR: 3      
CHA: 2          
INT: 6       Limits:
LOG: 2         Mental   - 4
WIL: 2         Physical - 6
EDG: 5	       Social   - 3
Essence 1.35
*8 AGI and 4 STR for arms

Qualities (0 karma)
Ambidextrous [4]
Quick Healer [3]
Bad Rep [-7]
   Jose Russo is quite vocal in his complaints about Amalia and her tendencies as 
   an overeager idiot and an obnoxious chatterbox. Word gets around quickly when
   you're the son of a famous boss.

Skills (C 28/2 + 10 karma)
Athletics Group    2
   Running, Swimming, Gymnastics
Longarms           6 (Shotguns)
Sneaking           5
Perception         5
Unarmed Combat     4 (Cyberweapons)
Pistols            2
Artisan            1 (Cooking)
Etiquette          1 (Street)
Con                1 (2 karma)
Tracking           1 (2 karma)
Pilot Ground Craft 1 (2 karma)
First Aid          1 (2 karma)
Cybertechnology    1 (2 karma)

Knowledge skills (16 free) (All at +2 from Mnemonic Enhancers)
Italian            N
English            2         (INT - Language)
Korean             2         (INT - Language)
Spanish            1         (INT - Language)
Japanese           1         (INT - Language)
Cantonese          1         (INT - Language)
Organized Crime    2 (Mafia) (INT - Street)
Security Procedure 2         (LOG - Professional)
Medicine           1         (LOG - Academic)
Opera              1         (INT - Interest)
Drama Trids        1         (INT - Interest)
Catholicism        1         (LOG - Academic)

Contacts (15 karma + 6 free):
Stitches - 3 connection / 4 loyalty – Street Doc. 
   A young surgical nurse at the local 'wares clinic who happens to have very strong 
   convictions about helping anyone in need. She's probably the closest thing Amalia
   has to a friend in the area, and the two often meet for lunch at a corner cafe.

Mr. Song - 5 connection / 2 loyalty - Jopok Underboss.
   Mr. Song is the kind of guy who likes to stay subtle and play the politics game. As 
   such, he really has no idea what to do with the enforcer that he has suddenly found 
   himself playing handler for.

Matilda - 4 connection / 3 loyalty - Fence.
   Matty is a British expat who works as a warehouse manager during the day. Rumor has
   it that she used to be a supply officer for the British Army, but got the boot after
   losing one too many important shipments.

Resources (450,000):
Wares:
Synaptic Booster 2				190k	1 ess
2x Obvious Full Arm Cyberlimbs   		30k	2 ess [15 slots each]
	2x Custom (AGI 6 + STR 4)               40k
	2x Agility Enhancement 2		26k	2x[2]
           Right Arm:
	      Cyber Shotgun 			8.5k	[10]
              External Clip Port                1k      [1]
	      Silencer 				1k	[2]
           Left Arm:
              Cyber Spur                        5k      [3]
              Cyberarm Gyro Mount               6k      [8]
Rating 3 Cybereyes				10k	.4 ess [12 slots]
   Smartlink                                    4k      [3]
   Image Link                                   Included
   Low Light Vision                             1.5k    [2]
   Rating 3 Vision Enhancement                  12k     [3]
   Thermographic Vision                         1.5k    [2]                              
   Vision Magnification                         2k      [2]
Rating 2 Cyberears                              6k      .3 ess [8 slots]
   Spacial Recognizer                           4k      [2]
   Damper                                       2.25k   [1]
Rating 2 Mnemonic Enhancers			18k	.2 ess
Sleep Regulator					12k	.1 ess
Rating 4 Olfactory Boosters			16k	.2 ess
Implanted Commlink                              7k      .2 ess
Rating 3 Internal Air Tank                      13.5k   .25 ess
----------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 						417.25k	4.65 ess

Armor:
Chameleon Suit              1,700
Actioneer Business Clothes  1,500
   Nonconductivity 2          500
   Chemical Protection 2      500
Armor Jacket                1,000
   Nonconductivity 4        1,000
   Chemical Protection 2      500
   Fire Resistance 2          500
Helmet                        200
   (With ballistic face mask fashioned after a dog)
High-Fashion Sunglasses       100

Ammo:
100 Shotgun Shells (Shot)     200
100 Shotgun Shells (Slugs)    200
10  Stick-n-Shock              80
2   Smoke Grenades             80

Electronics:
Transys Avalon         (Implanted)
4x Meta Links                 400
Subvocal mic                   50

ID:
Rating 4 Fake SIN          10,000 (Amalia De Luca)
Rating 4 'Wares License     1,000

Rating 1 Fake SIN           2,500 (Eulalia Ricci)

Gear:
Miniwelder                    250
10x Rating 6 Stim Patches   1,500
Rating 6 Medkit             1,500

1 Month Low Lifestyle       2,000
DODGE SCOOT                 3,000

1,990 leftover
pre:
Qualities 0
Skills    -10
Contacts  -15

Leftover 0

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 4, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ah, that reminds me. Couple more house rules.

First, if a piece of 'ware or gear doesn't state any wireless bonuses, it isn't wireless, so no hacking into bone meshes or plain katanas. Maybe it connects to the Matrix to upload diagnostic data or something, and a hacker technically could get in, there wouldn't really be anything meaningful he could do with it.

As far as poo poo like cybereyes, I will rule that they are hackable as long as they are wirelessly connected to something like a smartlink. They aren't slaved to the link, though, nor vice-versa.

Regarding grenades, no chunky salsa. That poo poo's all broke.

Guns do enough damage to bullets in firing them that enchantments would be wiped, but arrows, swords, etc. can hold an enchantment.
In the case of melee weapons and destructive enchants, however, the weapon will need to resist the same amount of damage dealt by the enchantment only (unless it is stun, of course.)

I'm still new to this system, so if there are any problems introduced here, I may not be aware of them, and I would welcome opinions on the matter.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
I don't have PMs activated so I couldn't receive them but I'd like to still be in this. I tried to be active but I was never able to post without double posting because no one else was active. I'm sorry The Bible. Ill submit another character if you'll allow. I really liked your game and pace. I'd love an active game I could post in 2-3 times a day instead of 2-3 times a week.

Sorry, posted this originally from my phone while jogging with my dogs.

But yeah, I don't know if you'll still have me but I'd love to play in your game. I tried to post every time someone would reply but it got to the point where every other post would have been mine(And almost ended up being) because no one else would ever make a post. I liked the first two pages of the game where I was able to past 1-3 times a day because there were enough replies to sustain such a thing. I don't understand how people are incapable of posting at such a pace. I work 12 hour days, six days a week in a management setting but even I can sustain such a pace due to my having a cellphone, tablet and computer... What I'm saying is, I hope you don't think I was horrible in the previous iteration of this game and I hope you'll allow me to submit another character. Sorry about rambling, I'm having my morning coffee.

malikial fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 3, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I wanted to PM you to let you know I was recruiting again, and yeah, you did your damndest, so don't worry, you are in. Just submit a dude.

You too, ltr. You never got the chance to try.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
SEXCELLENT... Wait.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
I'll try submitting another one.

Tir Tairngire, 8 months ago posted:

"My Prince," Aelion said as he set his glass of wine down. "Surely we have options other than hiding her? In Korea, of all places?"

"Aelion, you saw the aftermath. There was barely anything left to identify, but they were all Princes." Tharnornil leaned over the table, looking his Paladin square in the eyes. "I need you to keep my daughter out of sight, indefinitely if need be." He sat back in his chair, and sighed. "She was taking so long to Awaken, and now this."

"As you wish." Aelion stood and started to leave, but a thought had occurred to him. "What if she chooses to forsake her gift? You know how interested she is in computers, technology, those cartoons from Japan. Should I prevent her from resorting to," he paused to swallow his disgust. "Augmentation??"

Tharnornil pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to hold back his emotions. "Minladiel's 'gift' is nothing of the sort, and will only be a hindrance to both her and yourself. Allow her to augment herself as much as she wishes, it can only help her in what I expect her to do. I know you've been helping her sneak out to associate with the Irenis, and that could only lead to shadow work. I expect you'll help her out as well in Korea." He stood, extending his hand to his Paladin. "Good luck, my friend. Serve my daughter as you have served me."

Suit w/helmet

code:
"Kasumi" (Minladiel Talaldar)
Female Caucasian Elf

Resources A (450,000)
Skills B (36/5)
Attributes C (16)
Elf D (0)
Magic E (none)

BOD: 3
AGI: 7
REA: 4 {6}
STR: 2 {5}
WIL: 2
LOG: 3
INT: 3
CHA: 3
EDG: 2
ESS: 0.19 Pending
INI: 7+1d6 {9+3d6}
MAG: 0
Ment: [4]
Phys: [4] {[7]}
Soc: [3]

Phys: 12
Stun: 9
Overflow: 3

QUALITIES:
+Ambidextrous
+Catlike
+Natural Athlete
-Addiction (Zen, Mild)
-Distinctive Style (Augs)
-Weak Immune System

KNOWLEDGE/LANGUAGE SKILLS:
English N (INT)
Sperethiel 3 (INT)
Korean 1 (INT)
Magic Theory 1 (LOG)
Custom Augs Scene 3 (INT)
Runner Hangouts 2 (INT)
Physical Security Systems 2 (LOG)
Anime 1 (INT)
Kenjutsu (Martial Art)
-Iaijutsu
-Finishing Move

ACTIVE SKILLS:
Athletics 5
Blades 6
Throwing 4 (Knives)
Sneaking 5
Cybertechnology 2
Automatics 4
Intimidation 4
Armorer 2
Lockpicking 4
Pilot Ground Craft 2
Gunnery 2
Free-Fall 2
Perception 1

LIFESTYLE:
High Lifestyle x10
-Special Work Area
-Renraku grid access
Fake Sin Rating 4 (Forbidden)
-Fake License Rating 4 (Cyberware) (Forbidden)

CYBERWARE:
Rating 6 Implanted Commlink 0.2Ess
Betaware Smartlink 0.14Ess
Betaware Datajack 0.07Ess
Balance Augmenter 0.1Ess
Wired Reflexes 2 3Ess (Restricted)
Obvious Alphaware Customized Cyberarm (R) STR5 AGI7 15cap 0.8Ess
Obvious Alphaware Customized Cyberarm (L) STR5 AGI7 15cap 0.8Ess
Rating 2 Alphaware Dermal Plating 0.8Ess (Restricted)

WEAPONS:
Ninjato 6acc 1reach (STR+3)P -2AP (Restricted)
Combat Knife 6acc (STR+2)P -3AP
Kunai (Throwing Knife) x19 [Phys]acc (STR+1)P -1AP (Restricted)
Smoke Grenades x3 10m radius (Restricted)
Ares Executioner (Smartgun, Folding Stock, Supressor, Briefcase) 4(6)acc 7P SA/BF/FA (1)RC 30(c) (Forbidden)
-3 clips ball ammo, caseless
-2 clips Stick & Shock ammo, caseless (-2S(e), -5AP)
-1 clip APDS ammo, caseless (-4AP)
Ares Alpha (Smartgun, Underbarrel Grenade Launcher)5(7)acc 11P -2AP SA/BF/FA 2RC 42(c) (Forbidden)
-1 clip, 8 loose rounds APDS ammo, caseless (-4AP)
-Grenade Launcher 4(6)acc SS 6(c)
-1 clip high explosive grenades (16P, -2AP, -2/m) (Forbidden)

ARMOR:
Chameleon Suit 9Armor (Restricted)
-Helmet +2Armor 6cap
 -Flare Compensation [1]cap
 -Thermographic Vision [1]cap
Lined Coat 9Armor
Full Body Armor, Firewatch Pattern 15Armor (Restricted)
-Full Helmet +3Armor
-Chem Seal

VEHICLES:
Suzuki Mirage 5/3HN 6SP 3AC 5BD 6AR 1PI 2SN 1SE
-Hidden Weapon Mount (Forbidden)
 -Ares Crusader II, caseless 5(7)acc 7P SA/BF 2RC 40(c) (Restricted)
  -Internal Smartgun
  -Rating 2 Gas Vent
  -APDS Rounds, Machine Pistol, Caseless x244 -4AP (Forbidden)

GEAR:
Rating 6 Autopicker (Restricted)
Rating 4 Maglock Passkey (Forbidden)
Rating 4 Sequencer (Forbidden)
Gecko Tape Gloves
Rating 6 Respirator
Armorer Kit
Cybertechnology Shop
Zen x5
Simrig

Contacts:
Aelion - Paladin/fixer (5L/4C)

Nuyen: 22,090₯
Edge: 2/2
code:
Initiative: 9+3d6 Armor: 19 (Full Body Armor, Helmet, Dermal Plating)  

Ranged Weapons:
Weapon         Acc    Damage  AP   Mode    RC     Ammo      Range S/M/L/E (+0/-1/-3/-6)
Kunai           7      6P     -1    --     -       19          0-5/6-10/11-15/16-25
Smoke Grenade   -      --     --    --     -        3         0-10/11-20/21-30/30-50 
Executioner     6      7P     --    BF    (1)     30(c)       0-10/11-40/41-80/81-150
-Ball Ammo             7P                         30/3
-StickNShock          5S(e)   -5                  30/2
-APDS                  7P     -4                  30/1
Ares Alpha      7     11P     -2    BF     2      42(c)     0-25/26-150/151-350/351-550
-*APDS                11P     -6                  42/1
Alpha GL        6      --     --    SS     --      6(c)
-*HiEx                16P     -2                             -2/m radius
Super Squirt    3     Chem    --    SA     --     20(c)
-*FAB-III                                         20/3

Melee Weapons:
Weapon         Acc  Reach   Damage  AP
Ninjato         6     1       8P    -2
Combat Knife    6     -       7P    -3

Physical Track: 12/12	Stun Track: 9/9     Overflow: 3/3
Actually, with custom augs being so popular, would I be able to take Distinctive Style for that? Also, hidden weapon mount for the bike. Since there's no rules in the SR5 book for that, could we go with just adding 4,000 nuyen to the cost, since the +4F from Arsenal would bring it right up to 12F?

EDIT: Changed the weapon mount to a hidden one, swapped out the Alpha for a Crusader II and added some smoke grenades to make up for the ones lost.

EDIT 2: Just updating this as my character sheet now.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 1, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

I did like the character, it was really just a matter of not being able to take everyone. By the time I had chosen the team, there were very few magical characters, so I had to choose between cybered melee and adept melee, and without giving too much away, the team really needed some magical representation.

Cool. I am going to regigger him to be more melee and stealth focused and bump the social skills a bit. Would a Monday submission be to late?

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
I will post/create tonight. I'm at work until late. Pressing a deadline.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Actually, with custom augs being so popular, would I be able to take Distinctive Style for that? Also, hidden weapon mount for the bike. Since there's no rules in the SR5 book for that, could we go with just adding 4,000 nuyen to the cost, since the +4F from Arsenal would bring it right up to 12F?

They may be popular, but they're still distinctive, especially when trying to ID a foreigner.

And the submission deadline is Tuesday, bunnielab (or at least, I intended it to be; I'll double check later), so Monday is gold.

I'll allow the hidden weapon mount at the price you quoted , but nothing bigger than a machine pistol.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

The Bible posted:

They may be popular, but they're still distinctive, especially when trying to ID a foreigner.

And the submission deadline is Tuesday, bunnielab (or at least, I intended it to be; I'll double check later), so Monday is gold.

I'll allow the hidden weapon mount at the price you quoted , but nothing bigger than a machine pistol.

Sweet, I'll swap out the Ares Alpha and update the character sheet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Heinz Mόller grew up from an early age learning the fundementals of the life he would live in Saeder-Krupp. He learned the tools of his trade along with the various specializations of the corporation. Rigorous training left little time for Heinz to socialize with other children his age leaving him to develop little need to become attached to other humans and meta-humans. This seriously helped him in his very dirty, explosive work. When he reached puberty he became trained by some of the best corp-sec from GIAT Industries and Krupp Group. He was taught that failure was unacceptable, that his teammates were expendable, and that only completing the mission was acceptable.

His first assignment was to S-K's Middle East Division, where he distinguished himself in VIP protection. He quickly moved onto field teams that were officially tasked to protect oil fields and refineries. Their actual purpose was to suppress any resistance from the local populace. During a series of brutal counterinsurgency operations against mujahaadeen and nationalist groups operating in Istanbul, Heinz's superior noted his psychological profile as having the "right characteristics" for promotion from regional teams to global work. Professionalism, ruthlessness, dispassion, and a cunning intellect used as often to save the lives of his teammates as to persecute the locals.

After ME Division head Reza Mohammad Bakr did a little restructuring and shifted the regional HQ to Dubai, Mόller received the recall back to S-K Europe in Essen but they had seen fit to reward him greatly out of proportion to his successes. His Itinerary included a 2 day stop over in the Aegean, the famous underwater Poseidon Dome that Saeder-Krupp ran for its executives and the occasionally regular corp that earned the reward. While he was there enjoying all the delights that the modern day Atlantis had to offer him (Underwater tours, partying, popping bottles on high priced escorts, thats sort of thing), he received an embroidered invitation for dinner in Berlin when he got off the plane, a scant 3 hours after he was due to arrive in the airport according to the intinerary. The name on the invitation read simply, Herr Schmidt, Accounting Executive Sader-Krupp Prime. Riding his Suzuki Mirage at breakneck speed gave him quite the thrill as he got in with about a hour to spare to wash up and make the reservation.

Over fine wine and the best steak he ever had in his life, the purpose of the meeting became clear. A lateral career move with the benefits of tailor-made augmentations, great pay, and prestige came with a drop into the abyss and a vow of silence. He would enjoy the benefits of a life of excess in exchange for carrying out, without question, some of the more sensitive operations that S-K required. Without hesitation he accepted and was handed a dossier. His test would be eliminating a current Saeder-Krupp researcher who was attempting to defect. The means was left him to him, the timeframe was a month, the only prerequisite that the corp's fingerprints were not left on the damages. To place him in the general area of the target, he received a new SIN for the job flagging him as a research assistant in an unrelated department.

By day he did lab work, collecting specimens, processing paperwork, things of that nature. By night he was brainstorming how to poison the target. After a quick overview of the dossier and bioware he's received (anything that antibodies could deal with was out), he settled on homebrewing Ricin. He had 2 weeks roughly before the intel he had said the extraction was to go down so he slipped the substance into a prepackaged syringe, labeled as a booster shot for a series of immunizations that the members of his staff were to give out. He wasn't sure which syringe was going to get used for the good doctor so he swapped the whole batch instead. The mission comes before everything.

Within 24 hours, the entire research staff was dead that received those injections. He overdid it with the admin and barely had time to escape the lockdown because the toxins took so drat fast. Still the job was done, target dead plus about...20+ people. The performance review from "Herr Schmidt" was satisfactory and he went on for additional training, improving his skills with the already familiar submachineguns and Assault rifles as well as expanding on other subjects. Three months later, he was qualified in all manner of heavy weapons with a particular affinity for grenade launchers, trained to use military grade explosives, and refreshed his medical skills. His knowledge of the theories behind toxicology and chemistry as related to explosives also were improved quite satisfactorily. Assigned to Team Alpha-Black 9, he got quite acquainted with matters relating to extraction of corporate personnel, material, and otherwise.

Their approach to a mission was simple: kill the cameras, kill the lights, kill the autodefenses from the Matrix before they even breached and then once in complete the mission. If there was a golden rule they had it was simple: Leave no witnesses and if things must go boom, make sure the forensics team always figured the bullets and explosives were produced by someone else, preferably someone that was their enemy. Over the next few years, he developed a reputation in the S-K Prime shadows for an almost inhuman efficiency in wetwork balanced out by a varied skillset that made him an asset to any team. Life was good.

Until it all came crashing down. Two years ago, Heinz was assigned to a completely new team to fill a hole in their skillset. He knew of the other operators vaguely but never worked with them, never trusted them, and the operation was the diciest he's ever been on. A mere 30 minutes of his life that left dozens dead, his team maimed and black listed by their own corporation, and the survivors disappearing under mysterious circumstances. All but him it seemed.

The operation was a hit on a Aztechnology subsidiary, a research lab in what was once called Paraguay in the Gran Chaco region. Under cover of darkness they infiltrated the facility, slitting the throats of the sentries on post or dealing with them from range with a poisoned crossbow bolt to the throat. The research facilties defenses were off the grid so they had to jack in manually but otherwise things seemed to as planned. The Lights were out, autodefenses IFF hacked, witnesses dead, and the decker was about ready to jack out after recovering research data. They moved in and started to sweep the facility killing the research staff mercilessly. It made no sense, why were they here if it wasn't for some bigshot egghead. Even the chief researcher took one to the head as they moved into what appeared to be a cybernetics fabrication area.

Then the lights turned back on blinding them on low-light for a second and a scream from their decker. Staring down the barrels of an assault cannon toting cyborg that barely resembled anything that was once metahuman. Heinz switched back vision modes in time to see a fine mist of blood explode infront of him as the orc next to him has his torso blown out by a round from the Panther XXL. Gunfire and screams erupted as everyone involved took cover from the carnage and tried to make sense of the clusterfuck. With the decker's apparent death came the loss of matrix superiority as evidenced by another squadmate's wired reflexes being hacked and him seizing uncontrollably on the floor as his assault rifle sprayed bullets all around, blowing away the assistant team leader. Heinz and what remained of the team beat a retreat out of the facility, forgoing all sublety as they blasted their way out of the facility. Making it to the extraction, they were debriefed on board a cargo ship that served as the forward base for the team.

Wounds were treated, debriefings conducted in isolation for each survivor, and then they got to go through the joysbeing interrogated with every means the Saeder-Krupp specialists had at their disposal. The screams of Heinz and the members of his team echoed throughout the ship, their blood stained the deckplate. One month of isolation and repeated torture later, management in the form of "Herr Schmidt" paid a visit. Heinz was strapped to the operating table, all 'ware given to him as part of corporate service ripped out of him with the exception of his eyes and headware. The cyberware was to be recycled they said. He was given the bare minimum time to recuperate from the surgery and then he was debriefed one last final time. A simple piece of paper that served as dual NDA/Discharge papers served to be his notice of termination from Saeder-Krupp. No severance package, all assets repossesed, funds deducted from his account for the cybernetics he was being allowed to keep. He had just enough money to buy a ticket out of Europe, never to return. It turned out, not only that they failed the mission, they were caught on tape. Unforgivable! A security guard survived the initial breach and recorded the events that happened with his cybereyes as he was bleeding out and they managed to save a member of his team long enough to interrogate him and determine his affiliation.

The only way they could have known is if their was a mole in the team or in the department, so the man said. "Because of your exemplary service, and the fact you were pulled for this assignment only a day prior we don't believe its you. However why take a chance?" Banished from Europe, he booked the ticket for Seattle. It was a good a place as any to lay low and it was a hub of shadowrunning activity so he could easily put his skills to the trade. And he had the foresight to have a backup plan incase things went south. A bolthole in the barrens with a good Fake SIN, a decent bit of nuyen in certified cred sticks, and all the appropriate licenses in order.

So he stopped being Heinz Mόller, he became Fred Miller. His new workplace, a morgue where he worked as an assistant/janitor for the mortician on site. He didn't make alot of friends early on, infact he pissed off quite a few people adjusting to this new life. He was callous, without social grace, full of malice and hate for the common folk he was taught since childhood that he was superior to. It didn't help that being trained basically from birth to be a killing machine gave him a quite jaded view of life, namely that it was cheap and meaningless. He started to regain some of his humanity back as he spent more time mingling in the barrens. He got additional work in a clinic and started to be known as a competent medic by the folks of the Barrens, even if he had ice flowing through his blood and was a mean gently caress. It worked out for a few months until some gangers came into the place shooting cause apparently their friend died on the table. Make a long story short, he was sure glad the doctor kept a pistol in his office. Even without having the boosted reflexes he used to have implanted to give him the edge in the firefight, he was still a drat good shot and managed to make short work of two of the punks before he went down. A timely intervention by the security guard troll driving off the rest of the gangers and the Doc's timely intervention kept him from being spare parts.

That got him some respect and reputation on the street and soon he was approached by a local fixer for some work. He was paid in used reaction enhancers to get him up to spec and would work the debt off during the course of a few jobs. He started mainly moving cargo but quickly moved up to doing hits for the Vory. They kept the ware and cash flow and he kept the blood flowing. He changed though, he couldn't indiscriminately murder so callously anymore. He couldn't view them as packages and targets so easily anymore. It took 25+years or so but he realized that people...are people you know. No women, no kids, and kill only for the money. Don't take advantage of people that aren't scumbags. He picked up that much at least. A couple of ex UCAS Marines worked with him and started calling him Babydoc and the name stuck.

Two years, two years since being exiled from a life of bliss, excess, and depravity. It passed fast and he's recoved from his upset quite well. He has a nice house in a decent part of town, the same suzuki mirage he loved so much back in corp life, he enjoys the nightlife at some of the best clubs, and is rolling quite comfortably in the nuyen. There's just one thing thats ruining his scratched out paradise in seattle. The old members of his team are turning up dead or disappearing under mysterious circumstances. Rumour has it that Aztechnology is on the prowl and has been for quite some time. He should start running, pack a bag, change his identity again and go. But they haven't caught on yet and this place is his home. Or so he thought.

A failed run on Evo Corporation that saw to all the runners involved disappearing or found untrustworthy before the operation concluded led to him having to sell everything he owned and drop off the face of the earth. Using his contacts in the vory he caught a ship to Vladivostok picking up where he left off in the shadows. His work and the contacts he developed eventually lead him down to Korea. Another day another nuyen, the faces and the languages involved change, the various culture tints the interactions in a different light. Yet the more things change the more they stay the same. Time to get to work.

Alias: Babydoc Mr. Clean
Former Corp Affiliation: Saeder-Krupp
Division: Saeder-Krupp Prime (Global Black Ops/Intelligence)
A Attributes (24)
B Resources (275,000)
C Skills (28/2)
D Metaype (Human)
E Magic (Nope)

pre:
Attributes:
BODY: 3/6
AGI:  6/6 [8]
REA:  5/6 [9]
STR:  3/6
WIL:  3/6
LOG:  5/6
INT:  5/6
CHA:  2/6
EDG:  5/7
ESS:  1.755/6 

Notoriety: 
Limits:
Physical: 6	
Mental:	6	
Social:	3	

Cash Banked: 13255 (4755 saved Chargen+[url=http://orokos.com/roll/133368)Lifestyle 8500)
Karma Banked: 0 

Positive Qualities:
Bilingual (-5)
Natural Athlete (-7)
Guts (-10)

Negative Qualities:
Corporate Sin (+25)

Additional Karma Expenditures
20,000 Nuyen (-10)
Contacts (-14)
Language (Korean) to 2 (-4)

Active Skills:
Athletic Skill Group: 2
Automatics (Spec: Assault Rifles): 6
Heavy Weapons (Spec: Grenade Launchers): 3
Pistols: 2
First Aid: 4
Demolitions (Spec: Plastic Explosives): 3
Pilot (Ground Craft, Spec: Bikes): 2
Sneaking: 2
Perception (Spec: Visual): 2

Knowledge Skills:
Language (English): N
Langauge (German): N
Language (Arabic): 4
Language (Korean): 2
Academic (Chemistry, Spec: Explosives): 3
Academic (Biology, Spec: Toxicology): 3
Professional (Firearms): 2
Professional (Corporate Security: Spec: S-K Prime): 2
Professional (Small Unit Tactics, Spec: MOUT): 2

Contacts:
Yakuza Contact (Connections 3/Loyalty 2)
Red Vory Data Thief (Decker) (Connections 2/Loyalty 3)
Local Nurse (Connections 2/Loyalty 5)
Mr. Johnson who oversees burned S-K Prime ops (Connections 5/Loyalty 2)

Gear:

Electronics:
Fake SIN, Rating 4 x3 (30,000)
- Dietrich Schultz (Korean: Civilian)
- H. Schmidt (Korean: Runner)
- Michael Landsky (Kingdom of Hawa'ii: Backup Plan)
Fake License, Rating 4 x8 (3000)
-x3 Driver Licenses (Motorbikes)
-x3 Weapons Permits
-x3 Concealed Carry Permits
-x3 Cyberware License
-x3 Paramedic License (or equivalent) 
Biomonitor (Integrated into commlink) (300)
Sim Module (Integrated into commlink) (100)
Earbuds (Capacity 3) (150)
-Audio Enhancement, Rating 3 (1500)
Commlink: Metalink (for broadcasting fake SINs only) (100)

Total: 35,150

Weapons:
Ingram Smartgun X (800)
- 10 Clips (50)
- 260 Rounds of Standard (520)
- 70 Rounds of APDS (840)
Ares Light Fire 75 (760)
- 7 Clips (35)
- 50 Rounds of Standard (100)
- 70 Rounds of APDS (840)
- Concealable Holster (150)
Ares Alpha (2,650)
- 10 Clips (50)
- Shock pad (50)
- Suppresor (500)
- Airburst Link (600)
- 420 Rounds of APDS (5,040)
- 20 Clips (100)
- 30 Flash Grenade (3,000)
- 30 Frag Grenades (3,000)
- 30 HE Grenades (3,000)
- 12 Smoke Grenade (480)
- 12 Thermal Smoke Grenades (720)

Total: 23,245

Explosives:
Explosive Foam Rating 6 x5 (3,000)
Detonator Caps x10 (1,500)

Total: 4,500

Biotech:
Medkit, Rating 6 (1,500)
Spare Medikit Supplies x3 (300)

Total: 1,800

Armor:
Actioneer Business Clothes (Black)(1500)
-Nonconductivity, Rating 4 (1000/Capacity 4)
-Chemical Protection, Rating 4 (1000/Capacity 4)
Actioneer Business Clothes (White)(1500)
-Nonconductivity, Rating 4 (1000/Capacity 4)
-Chemical Protection, Rating 4 (1000/Capacity 4)
Armor Jacket (1000)
-Nonconductivity, Rating 6 (1,500/Capacity 6)
-Fire Resistance, Rating 6 (1,500/Capacity 6)
Motorcycle Helmet (Capacity 6) (200)

Total: 11,200

'Ware: 
Wired Reflexes Level 1 (39,000/Essence 2)
Used Reaction Enhancers Level 3 (29,250/Essence 1.125)
Muscle Toner Level 2, Alphaware (76,800/Essence 0.32)
Eyeware: Cybereyes Rating 4/Capacity 16, Alphaware (16,800/Essence 0.4)
Eyeware: Smartlink (4,000/Capacity -3)
Eyeware: Thermographic (1,500/Capacity -2)
Eyeware: Flare Compensation (1,000/Capacity -1)
Eyeware: Vision Enhancement Rating 3 (12,000/Capacity -3)
Eyeware: Vision Magnification (2,000/Capacity -2)
Earware: Damper, Alphware (2,700/Essence 0.08)
Earware: Soundlink, Alphaware (1,200/Essence 0.08)
Headware: Implanted Commlink (Transys Avalon), Alphaware (8,400/Essence 0.16)
Headware: Datajack, Alphaware (1,200/Essence 0.08)

Total: 195,850

Vehicle: 
Bike: Suzuki Mirage (8500)

Total: 8,500

Lifestyle:
High Lifestyle (10,000)
Grid Access: Global Grid, Provider: Ares Macrotechnology (Comes with Lifestyle)

Total: 10,000

Combat Sheet
pre:
Initiative: 14+2d6 Armor: 12 (Armor Jacket) Nonconductivity: 6 Fire Protection: 6
Note: Asterik denotes currently loaded ammo type
Ranged Weapons:
Weapon   Acc	   DP Damage/Radius  AP	 Modes	 RC  Ammo       Range S/M/L/E (+0/-1/-3/-6)
Ares Lt. Fire 75 6(8) 10/12   6P     —     SA   (1)  16/16 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50
APDS*                         6P    -4     SA   (1)  16/16 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50

Ingram Smartgun 4(6) 15/17 7P     —  BF / FA  (3)  32/32 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50
APDS*                      7P    -4  BF / FA  (3)  32/32 (c)    0–5/6–15/16–30/31–50

Ares Alpha 5(7) 16/18     11P    —2  SA / BF / FA (4)  42/42 (c)   0–25/26–150/151–350/351–550
APDS*          -   -      11P    -6  SA / BF / FA (4)  42/42 (c)   0–25/26–150/151–350/351–550
Ares Alpha GL 5(7) 13/15    *     *       SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL Frag* 18P(f)(-1/m) +5       SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL HE       16P(-2/m) -2       SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL Flash    10S(10m)  -4       SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL Smoke    N/A(10m)  N/A      SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500
Ares Alpha GL T-Smoke  N/A(10m)  N/A      SS      (1)   6/6 (c)    5-50/51-100/101–150/151–500

Physical Damage: 10	Stun Damage: 10	     Overflow: 3

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 25, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"Whats your name, sir?" the poor dock clerk asks the strange man who stands before him.

"Ah ya man, me name be Matt Dawes."

The customs clerk rattles on in Korean.

"Soorey mon, me don't speak yo language yit. What ya say?"

The clerk looks back and replies again in English. "State purpose of visit, originating country, and length of time in Korea."

"Ah, ya man, me visit is personal, I is from Jamaica of da Caribbean League, and me length of time is a week, see tha sites, meet ya sistas, you know, have a good party man."

The clerk looks again at the large imposing black man with dreadlocks. Of all the strange ones he's seen come through these interviews, this is certainly one of the weirdest.

He marks the Caribbean League SIN with the entry date and clearance by customs. "You may enter Korea." he says in Korean. The large man walks away without a second glance and immediately follows the signs to the cab stand, almost as if he was lying about not speaking the language.

In passable Korean, he asks to be taken to a nondescript hotel known for having a strong wireless signal and questionable firewalls. A known favorite of low level deckers in Korea. He pays in cash for one night, and composes a message while simultaneously schooling all of the local Korean Deckers in Shootymans 3099, the latest VR game on the Matrix.

To: Badman Samson From: Matterhorn posted:

Samson, I wanted to tell you that I needed to jet. Thing were coming down quick, and I needed to get away. The North American demiGOD started knocking on my door after that last run in the Caymans, and if I stayed anywhere in the islands I would have been found pretty by the Zobops. It seems that the demiGOD has gotten the Zobops to trace me using voodoo, and the longer I stayed, the sooner I would have been caught.

Don't try to look for me, I'm away from the Zobops, away from the GOD, and away from death. I've hooked up with that old cyberpirate that came out to the Asian Isles, Smith, you remember him? He got me into Korea, and I'll look for work out here.

You look after yourself Samson, stay out of trouble with the Zobops, I'll check in every so often.

quote:

Name: Matt Matterhorn
Streetname: Mad Matt

A Resonance
B Attributes
C Skills
D Human (3)
E Resources

BOD: 2 Init: 8 + 1d6
AGI: 2 Body: 9
REA: 3 Stun: 11
STR: 1
CHA: 6
INT: 5 Limits:
LOG: 4 Mental - 6
WIL: 5 Physical - 3
EDG: 3 Social - 8
Resonance 8
Essence 6

Qualities (10 karma)
+ Natural Hardening
+ Analytical Mind
- Distinctive Style (Rastafarian)
- Insomnia
- Incompetent (Engineering)

Living Persona
Device Rating: 8
Attack: 6
Sleaze: 5
Data Processing: 4
Firewall: 5
Initiative: 9 + 4d6

Skills (C 28/2 + 20 karma)
Cracking Group 3
Cybercombat, Electronic Warfare, Hacking
Compiling 5
Registering 5

Dodge 3
Pistols 4
Perception 2
Etiquette (Matrix) 3
Negotiation 3
Intimidation 4
Computers 4
Software 3
Street Knowledge 2

Knowledge skills (18 free)
English N
Japanese 2 (INT - Language)
Korean 2 (INT - Language)
Japanese 2 (INT - Language)
Russian 1 (INT - Language)
Smugglers 4 (INT - Street)
Street Gangs 6 (INT - Street)
Vices 3 (INT - Street)

Contacts (18 Free):
Kae Hae - Streetdoc
Made contact with a streetdoc on the boat ride. Helped with a small Matrix issue he had in return for preferential treatment
Loyalty: 2

Mr Li - Johnson
Hooked up with a Johnson that is known to the gang Matt used to run with in Florida.
Loyalty: 2

Jim Smith - Smuggler (Cyberpirate)
Oldtimer from the island, is known to most of Matt's generation as a cyberpirate that got bored of piracy in the Caribbean and left for new pastures in the Asian islands
Loyalty: 5

Resources (8,000):
Armor:
Lined Coat 900

Weapons:
Defiance EX Shocker 250
Hidden Arm Slide 350

Ares Viper Silvergun 380
Concealable Holster 150
Smargun System (External) 200

Ammo:
100 Flechettes 200

ID:
Rating 2 Fake SIN 5,000 (Matt Dawes)

Leftover: 570

Sprites:
Crack Sprite
Assist Threading
Standby

Fault Sprite
Suppression
Electron Storm

Courier Sprite
Cookie
Camouflage

Complex Forms:
Cleaner
Puppeteer
Editor
Static Bomb
Transcendent Grid
Resonance Spike
Static Veil

pre:
Qualities +10
Skills    -20
Additional Complex Forms: -8
Registered Sprites: -6
Additional Resources: -1

Leftover 0

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 7, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
David is an Street Doc, trained in the Seattle barrens by a mentor mage who recently died. Having nothing to tie him to the states and no real connection to anything there he's taking up employment in Korea as an attempt to expand his horizons. He has no roots and no real motivations other than a desire to experience something that isn't the Seattle Grime... Although he doesn't know if Korean Grime will be any better.
pre:
A: Magic (Mag 6, 10 Spells, 2 R5 Magic Skills)
B: Attributes (20)
C: Skills(28/2)
D: Resources (50,000)
E: Race (Human+1

Name: David Saunders "Midnight"
Nationality: USA

Attributes:[Augmented](Cost)

BOD:	3
AGI:	3
REA:	3
STR:	3
WIL:	5
LOG:	5
INT:	3
CHA:	3
EDG:	3
ESS:	6
MAG:	6

Init: 6+1d6
A Init:6+2d6
M Init:6+1d6

Physical Limit 4
Mental Limit 6	
Social Limit 5

Positive Qualities:(Cost)
Focused Concentration 3 (12)

Negative Qualities(Bonus)
Allergy	(+10)
+Gold, Moderate 
Code of Honor(+15)
+Innocent or Univolved Bystanders
+Children

+13 Karma

Skills:[Specialization](Cost)
Spellcasting[Health] 	6[8] 	(5 Free 2 spent)
Counterspelling 	4	(4)
Assensing 		5	(free)
Alchemy 		3	(3)
Ritual Spellcasting	2	(6 Karma)
Astral Combat		2	(6 Karma)

Pistols[Revolver]	3[5]	(4)

First Aid[Gunshots]	5[7]	(6)
Medicine[Truama Surgery]5[7]	(6)

Perception 		2	(2)
Etiquette		2	(6 Karma)

Skill Groups:
Conjuring 3(2 free 1 Karma)
-Summoning
-Binding
-Banishing

Knowledge Skills: 

Language Skils:
English N

Spells:
Heal
Cure Disease
Stabalize
Resist Pain
Increased Reflexes
Manabolt
Stunbolt
Stunball
Lightning Bolt
Detect Life, Extended

Spirits:

Equipment:	
R3 Health Focus(Spellcasting) (12,000)
100 Drams Reagents (2,000)
R6 Magical Lodge Materials(3,000)
R3 Health Focus(Sustain) (12,000)

Erika Elite (2,500)
-R4 Linguasoft[Korea](4,000)
R4 Fake SIN(10,000)
-R4 Fake License[Pistol](800) 

Biomonitor(300)
R6 Medkit (1,500)
10 Medkit Supplies(1,000) 
5 R3 Antidote Patch (750)
5 R4 Stimpatch (500)
3 Trauma Patch (1,500)

Weapons:(Cost)
Taurus Omni-6 (300)

Ammunition:
30 Reg Rounds (60)
20 Gel Ruonds (50)
10 StickShock (80)

Armor:
Auctioneer Business Clothes(1500)

Vehicles:
NA

Lifestyle:
Middle(5000)

Contacts:
Ben Jeong(Medical Student)
Connect 2 Loyal 2

Black Thought(Talismonger/fixer)
Connect 3 Loyal 2

Karma Spent:
5 Spent on resources
33 Spent on Skills

Starting Nuyen
1160+900=2060

malikial fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 5, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Minjun Young "Rigged Deck"

You can never really escape.

Minjun was technically born a Korean citizen. Sure, his family left not too long after his birth due to potential impending legal issues, but the SIN was there nonetheless. He didn't speak the language, didn't know any of the culture, but still had that drat SIN stuck to his name. No matter how hard he tried to rebel against his parents (who happily took it in stride; like father like son) he still had that fragging SIN stuck to his name.

His parents were Runners. Sure, they had SINs, but that never stopped them. They saw his rebellion as something natural, even wanted - after all, they were a success story, so why couldn't he be? Sure, he'd never be the powerhouse of magic and muscle that his mother was, but his father was more then happy to teach him all the ins and outs of the Matrix - especially the parts he wasn't supposed to go.

But Minjun didn't really want to be a Runner. The whole point of rebelling is to NOT end up like your parents, after all! So he started using his skills for less profitable avenues. He connected up with the local neo-anarchist groups, jammed a guitar in a few punk groups, messed up a good handful of corp sites both virtual and real world. Fun, simple stuff, all aggression and no long term plan. But money started to run dry. His parents weren't gonna support him, and he needed cash.

So he made his first Run.

You can't escape it. It's not that he disliked the Run. Hell, it was pretty exhilarating! But the whole time he was dreading what could end up happening - just another corp citizen by day, Runner by night, and capitalist shitbag during all hours. He didn't stop running, but he tried (vaguely) to take jobs that were aimed at hurting corps rather then neighborhoods or people. He got a new arm, something flashy and standout-ish, very unfashionable. Styled his armor as a proper synthleather jacket, studs and patches and all. But the Runs started to run dry, and cash started to run low again. He crashed a few nights on various friends' couches, but poo poo was starting to look bad.

Until he got a call for a new job.

Fragging Korea. Of course.

And now his gaudy unfashionable arm is super in, and his decking and VR gaming skills have gone from nerdy to mainstream, and all this load of drek. On the bright side, he still certainly doesn't fit in - nothing stands out more then someone who almost fits in, and Minjun stands close enough to stand WAY the hell out. Officially he's here to visit some family from his father's side, and of course now his cousin won't buzz off. He's hooked up with a few members of whatever punk groups he can find, rigged enough casino games to make a tidy sum of cash before he was caught, and begins quietly hoping this job doesn't require him to live here long term. His wishes and hopes have a way of not quite working out.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 5, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, here is my revised Stealth/Melee sam.

The idea is that Niles is/was the bored and unmotivated third son of a very very wealthy English family. He was never good in school, was too weedy for sports, and was too weird to be good with girls. His lot in life was to be that of a generic upper class twit. That is, until he discovered a shelf of old hunting and safari books in the family library. He becomes obsessed and devotes his life to big game hunting. But soon he becomes bored with that and moves on to paraanimals. This brings the spark back for a while but it too becomes so routine. Then he hits on the idea, "Why use guns? Why not try and chase the beasts down on foot and kill them with my hands?". Clearly his flesh limbs will never let him do this so he begins to replace them, becoming stronger, faster, and more like the bests he hunts. By the time he is happy with his new body his parents are both dead and his older siblings are horrified with what he has become. An excuse is fabricated and he is sent off to asia for "holiday". Niles quickly saw that the clinic he was sent too was more of a prison, and besides, there was nothing wrong with him, it was everyone else who was sick, living their lives asleep, never knowing what it was to feel the freedom of the hunt, the thrill of the chase, and the pleasure of the kill.

So he escaped and began to hunt the jungles of asia for prey. A chance encounter with a band of rebels in the Philippines changed everything. No longer were dumb beasts, even awakened ones, enough to satisfy him. Now he knew what he was born and built to do. A quote from one of those books he read so long ago came back to him with a million times the force of the old words on the page:

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

Niles Capstick posted:

Silence.

That was one of the best parts, the moment of silence following a good kill. But as always, it was over too soon. The sounds of the city began to come back, like someone turning up the volume on a radio. The sirens, the noise of traffic, of vendors shouting, the dull throb of a million broken AC units trying to fight off the oppressive heat. It all came back into focus, too soon.

Niles was standing above the man, or what was once a man, now just a pile of cooling meat and bone, not quite cut apart but far from whole. He wipes his blades off on the man's ruined clothing before retracting them back into his arms. He stands, and with a final scan of the alley, turns off his suit, the swimming colors fading to a dull gray, the electric "fur" laying down flat. Niles removes his too large and rough jumpsuit from the small bag on his back and pulls it on, over the skintight stealth suit. It is impossible for a man with metal arms and legs that would look more at home on a bird of prey to look inconspicuous, but it never hurts to try.

He jumps up onto the roof of the tenement and looks out over the city. 2500 nueyen. Four times he had killed for it and still the money eluded him. The first kill was a job, some nameless ganger who committed some unknown transgression. Niles found him in a slum outside of the city, hiding out in a dingy bar. The kill was too easy to bring any pleasure, the man took no precautions, allowing Niles to slip up behind him on the road outside the bar, slip right up beside him, the spur was through his lungs before he even knew someone was there.

Upon returning to the city to meet his fixer for payment, Niles instead found two men laying in wait for him. He never found out why Hwaidi the fixer turned on him, never knew if it was the inevitable unease that overcame most of his employers, if he had second thoughts about how much Niles knew about his operations, or maybe he just decided that 2500 neyun was too much to pay for a man's life.

The two goons were dispatched quickly and silently, one while he was in the bathroom, the second when he came to see what happened to the first. They, while disappointing kills in and of themselves, brought great pleasure, as they signaled the beginning of a great hunt, something worthy of his skills.

It took 3 days to track Hwaidi down. He knew as soon as his men were found what was coming for him and he tried his best to protect himself. But even it a city crowded with millions, the hunter will always find his prey. To draw the pleasure out, Niles decided to try and kill no more of Hwaidi's men during the chase, though he did wound or cripple a few looking for information. The final chase through the slums and across it's rooftops was exhilarating, the prey running in the streets below, the hunter on the rooftops, slowly gaining on him, the fear pouring off of him like a perfume. The final pounce, off of a second story roof sent the prey rolling across the ground as the hunter's blades stabbed him again and again.

Now, a mere 5 minutes later, the pleasure is gone and it is time for business. The call three days ago from Mr Kim was unusual, mostly Niles revived work from a face to face introduction. At first it was his inclination to ignore it, the city was providing better then usual work for him. But the betrayal of Hwaidi changed things. He was no longer sure who was friend and who was foe. There would be much pleasure in finding out, but the killing in the alley would not go unnoticed and perhaps it was time to move on.
He called Eddy on his com to arrange transport to Korea. His meager belongings were already packed in a trunk on one of Eddy's boats and he had no one to say goodby to.

Name: Niles Wadsfellow
Alias: Capstick

A Resources (450,000) Karma: 0
B Skills (36/5)
C Attributes (16)
D Human (3)
E Magic (none)

Attributes: (16)
BODY: 4
AGI: 6
REA: 9
STR: 6 Body 8 Legs/Arms
WIL: 3
LOG: 3
INT: 3
CHA: 2
EDG: 5
ESS: 0.08

Limits:
Physical: 9
Mental: 4
Social: 3

Initiative:
15+2d6

Positive Qualities:
Catlike -7
Natural Athlete -7
Ambidextrous -4

Negative Qualities:
Code of Honor 15
Addiction, Hunting, minor 4
Distinctive Style 5

Active Skills: (36/5)
Unarmed Combat 6
Cyberweapons 1
Automatics 4
Gymnastics 6
Pakour 1
Running 3
Sprinting 1
Perception 5
Spotting "game" 1
First Aid 2
Blades 3
Sneaking 6

Outdoors Group 5
Nav
Survival
Tracking

Knowledge Skills: (10)
Language (English) N
Language (Japanese) 2
High Society Protocol 2
Hunting 4
Engineering 1
Cyberware 3
Ganger Protocol 3

Cyberware
Left Arm, Full, Alphaware 0.8 6 18000
Custom AGI +3 7 15000
Custom STR +3 7 15000
Spurs 12F 5000
Enhanced STR +2 13000

Right Arm, Full, Alphaware 0.8 6 18000
Custom AGI +3 7 15000
Custom STR +3 7 15000
Hand Blade 10F 2500
Shock Hand 8R 5000
Enhanced STR +2 13000

Left Leg, Full, Alphaware 0.8 6 18000
Custom AGI +3 7 15000
Custom STR +3 7 15000
Hydraulic Jacks, Rating 4 9 10000
Enhanced STR +2 13000

Right Leg, Full, Alphaware 0.8 6 18000
Custom AGI +3 7 15000
Custom STR +3 7 15000
Hydraulic Jacks, Rating 4 9 10000
Enhanced STR +2 13000

Wired Reflexes, Alphaware Rating 1 1.6 8R 46800

Reaction Enhancers, Alpha Ware 2 0.48 12R 31200

Cyber Eyes, Alpha, Rating 1 0.16 8 4800
Lowlight Vision, Alpha 0.08 4 1800
Thermographic Visio, Alpha 0.08 4 1800

Cyber Ears, Alpha, Rating 1 0.16 3600
Audio Enhancement, Alpha,Rating 1 0.08 4800
Select Sound Filter, Alpha, Rating 1 0.08 4200

Gear
Ares Crusader II 9R 830
Integral Smartlink
Gas Vent 2 - Recoil
Suppressor 9F 500
Spare Clips x5 4 25
Stick and Shock, 200r 6R 1600
Normal Rounds, 200r 2R 400

Chameleon Suit 10R 10 1700
Thermal Damping, rating 3 10R 1500
Shock Frills 6R 250

Survival Knife 100
Combat Knife 4 300

Gear
Fake SIN, Rating 4, 12f 10000
Fake SIN, Rating 4, 12f 10000
Fake License, Weapon, Rating 4 12F 800
Fake License, Weapon, Rating 4 12F 800
Fake License, Cyberware, Rating 4 12F 800
Fake License, Cyberware, Rating 4 12F 800

Transys Comlink 12 5000
Sub vocal Mic 4 50

Maglock Pass Key Rating 4 16000
Sequencer Rating 4 1000
Gecko Tape Gloves, x4 12 1000
Climbing Gear 200
Rappelling Gloves 50
Medkit, Rating 6 6 1500
Trauma Patch, x4 6 2000
Stim Patch, Rating 4, x4 8 400

Lifestyle, Low, 1 Month 2000

Contacts:
"Eddy Trang", Boat captain, smuggler, general lowlife. Niles "met" Eddy when he was tasked with killing someone who happened to have chartered his boat. Eddy, being unarmed and helpless (actually, passed out drunk in his cabin with a prostitute) was spared. Nails, being pragmatic, offered to take over the charter, which was better than swimming back to shore. From then on they formed a good working relationship, Eddy providing rides, lodging, and the occasional off shore dumping run. Niles makes sure that it became known that Eddy had a boogyman on his side, which really helps keeps clients honest and competitors at a distance. Eddy has a small fleet of rickety ships and does a brisk trade all over SE Asia and points north.
- Connection 4 , Loyalty 3

"Joon Ji-hu", Retired ganger. When Niles decided to pursue Mr Kim's offer he knew he needed to find a place to stay in country. His 'ware is pretty obvious and staying in public accommodations tends to attract too much attention. Through some old contacts in Bangkok Niles was hooked up with Ji-hu, a crippled ex-ganger who owns some run down properties in Seoul. Niles rents a small loft above a empty warehouse from him. Ji-hu is not super enthusiastic about the arrangement, but is ok with it for now, so long as the rent is paid on time and nothing too horrific happens in there.
- Connection 1 , Loyalty 1

EDIT: Messed around with gear and cyberware, managed to fit in some robot ears. My essence is so low, fake nails might do me in. Going to do a combat sheet tomorrow.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 5, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Great stuff so far. Not a single character I don't want to take. So...

Slight change in plans. I'm upping the character limit to ten. The groups will be spkit into two different groups, each running a seperate but related run in their own threads.

The adventures can, and are designed to, run into each other over time. Depending on how each is played, the meeting may be amicable, or it may be otherwise.

Obviously, I have a path and a plan for each run, but don't let that get in the way of playing your character. My style of GMing is that I establish a plot and a world for a story, but the characters are the ones that ultimately write it.
If you find yourself in a situation where you feel you are moving against my plans, or perhaps against your group, go with that, if it is indeed what your character would do. I can't promise favorable consequences, but I won't go out of my way to gently caress you for it either. Hell, it might work out for you. I will always play it how I feel it would go down organically.

This leaves the endgame pretty wide open, which some may feel is a weakness, but this isn't Fallout. A human GM makes that sort of thing quite doable. The last thing I want to do is railroad you, although there may be times it feels like that is happening. Some situations are just harder to get out of than others.

malikial posted:

Skill Groups:
Conjuring 3(2 free 1 Karma)
-Summoning
-Binding
-Banishing

Just want to check this. You spent 1 karma to boost a skill group from 2 to 3?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 5, 2013

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
No, I spent 15. I meant I boosted it by 1 from 2 to 3. The notation is that two of the points were free and one was from Karma.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

(to clarify, italics are English. Normal is Korean.)

Jyodi Drake was a simple English teacher, abroad in Korea (boy her father loved making THAT joke). Emphasis on was.
"Ms. Drake, I'd like to see you in my office."
She could feel the lump rising in her throat. No one said a word. The class, for once, was dead silent.
"Miss Drake..." One boy stammered, his english a bit shaky.
"It's okay." She assured him, in Korean, "You don't have to use English."
The boy smiled, but continued in her native tongue, "We'll miss you."
That was it. The knife in the heart. But she wasn't going to lose it. Not in front of the students. Not for defending herself.

The alley LOOKED familiar. At least, it had in the light. But now. Now it looked foreign.
"Where you goin', Pointy?" The last word
Pointy. She ran a hand over her pointed ears, turning at the young men, brandishing bottles.
"Just leave me alone," she protested, "I'm a teacher. I don't want any trouble."
"ENGLISH teacher. Bad enough she's an elf! Shoulda stayed back in the states. We ain't fond of Americans, we SURE as hell don't want a Keeb."
She must've taken a wrong turn, as she pressed against a chainlink fence.
"Look, guys, I'm just trying to make a living. Six months I'll be gone!" It wasn't a TOTAL lie. They might not renew her contract for teaching abroad in six months. It did little to appease them.
"Nah. We want you gone TODAY."
"No...please, don't make me do this..." she bit her lip, feeling the swell in her chest. It slowly flowed out to her limbs, "Please don't make me do this."
The men approached, pulling knives and smashing their bottles.
She had trained as a police officer in the Boston PD, back when they still had a private police
One lunged. She let lose a strike of electricity, leaving the men convulsing in pain.
"C'mon, this way!" An unfamiliar voice, "I think it was some Humanis chasing an Elf down here. Lord, I hope she's..." the Shiawase officer spoke into a shoulder-mounted walkie-talkie, stopping dead as he saw the slumped gangbangers, alive (for the most part) but in pain.
"She's okay. She's a combat mage. Poor bastards chased a combat mage." He couldn't help but laugh at the luck of unarmed mundane thugs picking HER of all people.
She shivered as it began to rain.
"Poor kid's gonna be alone, but at least she's alive," he chuckled as he approached with the cuffs, mostly for the punks own safety.

"So. Combat Magician." Mr. Jeong was quite blunt, today. It was never his style to dance around the issue, of course.
"Yes, sir."
"And when would you tell us?"
"Well, Mr. Jeong, my contract explicitly states I am awakened. It-"
He held up his hand in protest.
"But do you have any sort of Military training? Police, Security Corps, anything like that? You know we wouldn't have allowed you in if that were the case!"
"I know, but-"
"You KNOW this school has a reputation to uphold. You know drat well we can't have a COMBAT MAGE running around. It makes us look dangerous!"

That was that. He accepted no argument. With one outburst, Jyodi was broke, jobless, and stuck in a foreign country.
"Dad, I need help," Her voice cracked. She hadn't asked her parents for help since she was a little girl. Her father could hear the desperation in her voice.
Silence. Finally, the man on the other line broke it with a question, "How much do you know about running?"
Her father explained it all. His dark little secret when he and her mother had gotten divorced. How he actually made the alimony payments and child support.
"So, extortion and violent crimes? You want me to be a criminal!?"
"Look, you can look down on me all you want, Jyo, but truth is, it paid for a lot of what you have. The world is a dark lovely place - Korea moreso than most. You can keep the conscience, but running is about survival. Not hurting people. You worked on the Boston PD with me before Lonestar bought it out. You know goddamn well how hard it gets for anyone who doesn't make nuyen that doubles as a zipcode. I don't know a lot of folks in Korea, but I DO have some contacts that might know someone connected to Shiawase, at least. So if you're interested, I'll send some information. Where to get yourself a gun, some decent armor..."

I've got my stats coming up now but it's getting late and I have work in the morning :shobon: Mind if I post them after work? She's, of course, a combat magician, and the story is arguably most important.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 5, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

That's fine, I upped the character limit anyway, and I like the background.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
All done unless I somehow find a picture, which sadly doesn't seem likely. Come on Korea. Where are your punks. You can't all be boy groups*

*They are absolutely all boy groups.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 5, 2013

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

malikial posted:

No, I spent 15. I meant I boosted it by 1 from 2 to 3. The notation is that two of the points were free and one was from Karma.

Not yo be nitpicky but I don't think you bonded your focus. Without using karma to bond them to you, they are useless. Page 318 have karma costs to bond focus.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
(Character sheet here. It's mostly done but I'm new to the system and I still have a bit of tweaking – and gear-buying – to do. See second page for priority assignments and karma expenditure.)

Namu Amida Butsu

Hundreds of years ago, the great monk Shinran believed that he lived in the time of Mappō, the Latter Age of the Law, during which time it was no longer possible to achieve enlightenment through the words of Sakyamuni Buddha.

Namu Amida Butsu

He could not have realized the change that the world would undergo during the Awakening. It was then that Zōhō, the Age of Semblance of Dharma, ended and Mappō began.

Namu Amida Butsu

But the teachings of Shinran are no less true for this fact. He understood that it was impossible in such a degenerate age for any human to achieve rebirth in the Pure Land by his or her own power. It is only through reliance on the power of Amida Buddha that such rebirth is possible.

Namu Amida Butsu

The Jōdo Shinshū popular today is imperfect, however, having not fully adapted to the current age of Mappō. A better path is offered by our school, sometimes called Ikkō Shinshū after the Ikkō-shū, itself an offshoot of Jōdo Shinshū. The name is no insult, for it represents the single-minded devotion we have to the power of Amida Buddha. Further, it represents the spirit of the Ikkō-ikki, the rebellion against the greed and impiety of the illegitimate samurai class.

Namu Amida Butsu

Today, we of the Ikkō Shinshū understand the terrible corruption that exists in our modern society. We recognize that rebirth in the Pure Land does not require of us anything but entrusting ourselves to the power of Amida Buddha. All other supposed restrictions on behaviour are thus illegitimate – even karmically evil actions are permissible. It is better to exert effort opposing the evil and corruption inherent in modern society, even if requires evil acts, than to try to hide from the world in a vain attempt at enlightenment through one's own actions.

Namu Amida Butsu

(Yes, I know this picture makes no sense for a Shadowrun character. But it's cool-looking and my character wears weird, old-fashioned clothes. See below for details.)

My name is Elena Zhen.

I was born in Taipei. I'm still a citizen of Taiwan, thanks to my father. He gave me a decent childhood, too. We never had much money, but we were better off than the SINless in the slums. Of course, it wasn't long before I ended up joining them. I was 12 when he died. I'd never even known my mother, and there was no one else to take me in, so down between the cracks of society I slipped.

I was resourceful, though. I fell in with a metahuman gang and learned to fend for myself pretty quickly. I stole, and I fought, and eventually I killed. For stupid reasons, too. I was angry at the world; I hated my life, hated myself. I had no purpose and nothing to care about.

It was after a murder – some low-level Triad – that I left for Japan. I had been there once before, as a child, with my father. He had been sent there for work, but he brought me with him. I remember loving it, though I don't know why. Maybe it was just being somewhere new.

I was laying low in Fukuoka for a few weeks, or at least that was the plan. Away from the gang, in a new place, I started to contemplate my life. I realized how pointless everything was. I began to despair at the state of the world and the state of my life. It was all so meaningless.

I decided not to go back to Taiwan. There was nothing I cared about there. There was nothing I cared about in Japan, either, but at least it offered some small hope of something new. Of course, being a foreigner and an elf didn't do much for my popularity.

Religion had never been something I'd cared much about, but in the depths of my despair and anger at the world, I found myself drawn to Buddhism. It offered an explanation for the state of the world, at least, and maybe even a way of coping with it. But even then, I wasn't quite satisfied.

It was then that I met Tsujitani-sensei. She offered me something better than a passive, pacifistic search for enlightenment. She offered me a true purpose: rebellion against the corruption of our society, while trusting in Amida Buddha for my own rebirth.

To go with my new purpose, I redefined myself. I decided to abandon as many of the trappings of the corrupt modern world as I could. Some find it amusing, no doubt, that I wear archaic-looking clothing. To me, it is a symbol of my rejection of the world's evil. It is not that I believe modern clothing is itself evil, of course – I will wear it if necessary – it is that I wish to stand out as a symbol of rebellion against the corruption of our age. Nor is it a naive endorsement of ages past – if such clothing were normal, I would do something else to stand out.

Likewise, I prefer to avoid modern technology when possible as an act of protest against the suppliers and controllers of that technology, who are among the foremost architects of our corrupt and degenerate society. It is far from an unbreakable rule – it would be impossible to live as anything but a recluse otherwise – but a symbolic gesture.

Thus I have discovered a new purpose for myself and recreated myself to achieve that purpose. For the last four years I have lived in Fukuoka, studying under Tsujitani-sensei and building my new life. I have, to some extent, resumed the life of crime I lived in Taipei, and yet it could not be more different, for my actions now have true purpose. Not everything I do directly serves that greater purpose, but I now understand that even the most mercenary of work will eventually contribute to my cause.

A few weeks ago I was told about an unusually lucrative job in Korea. It was no great burden to travel to there, and I've already made contact with a few old acquaintances. Now I'm just waiting to find out what the job actually is.

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've got writer's block, sorry. No submission from me.
Good luck and have fun, chummers.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

All done unless I somehow find a picture, which sadly doesn't seem likely. Come on Korea. Where are your punks. You can't all be boy groups*

*They are absolutely all boy groups.

Sometimes they dress up like Will Smith circa 1996, if that helps.

Here, lucky for you, I read your post just as I passed this on the subway, so I snapped a pic in front of about 1000 koreans who probably think I'm gay now.

http://imgur.com/Srqwoka

Imagine running into those Babyface Killahs in some dark alley. You'd piss yourself, you would.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 6, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean I teach in the land of the "morning calm" (HAH!) but every time I ask either students, other teachers, or hell, any of the expats who've been here longer who the decent rock groups are, they just shrug and tell me it's 90% pop and hip hop around here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean I teach in the land of the "morning calm" (HAH!) but every time I ask either students, other teachers, or hell, any of the expats who've been here longer who the decent rock groups are, they just shrug and tell me it's 90% pop and hip hop around here.

That said, I hear that there is a pretty decent rock scene here. I don't know anything about it, though, I'm not much of a music buff. If there is a Korean nerdcore scene, I'd piss myself in excitement.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

The true faces of terror.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Good, my music links will be setting-appropriate. :colbert:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Alright, Recruiting is closed, and we have 10 characters. In the next couple days, I'll be posting two threads and linking to them here. Here is how the teams are set up.

Seoul Team
Atlatl
ltr
CisMaletheSensitiv
ProfessorCirno
bunnielab

Jeju Team
Doc Dee
Mustache Ride
malikial
Classtoise
Viscardus

I look forward to it.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
More like team buttbutts and team awesome.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I always get on team butttbutts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Mustache Ride posted:

I always get on team butttbutts

Nah, we are Team Awesome.

• Locked thread