Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

I had a crash when I restarted or something. Now Safari tabs become unresponsive when I use the 2 finger gesture to go to the previous page in history. Any tips on troubleshooting this? I don't know what it's about.

edit: It persists through a safari reset :I I guess I'll try restarting the OS again.
edit again: I turned it off and off again and guess what it works. Thanks for reading.
I was having this issue as well as scrolling being broken in some other apps. I think it was after a BTT update yesterday, problems went away after installing the update from today (10/2). In the version history list it didn't even list the "current version" I was on at the time.

tl;dr If you use BTT, open it and update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mayodreams posted:

An internet reinstall will give you a fresh install granted you wipe the drive using disk util after boot and before running the OS installer, but not automatically.

That's my task for this morning. Live and learn!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

SuperShmoe posted:

That is definitely a good thing to do. Thanks for cluing me in.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions about 3rd party anti-theft software, but also turn on FileVault 2! You won't notice a difference in performance due to the SSD, but your data will be much safer.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions about 3rd party anti-theft software, but also turn on FileVault 2! You won't notice a difference in performance due to the SSD, but your data will be much safer.

If you turn on FileVault 2 and run theft recovery software like undercover, the thief won't be able to incriminate himself on your computer. Basically, the strategy is that you should have a non-passworded (non-admin) account on your computer that the thief can use, and this won't work if you have FileVault 2 enabled.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Interesting, I had no idea anti-theft software had gotten to the stage where it invites thieves to incriminate themselves. I guess it depends on what kind of data you keep on your computer, and how much you want to protect the data from getting stolen vs. the machine itself.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Find My Mac plays nice with FileVault 2 and still enables the thief to login to the honeypot Guest account to connect to the internet and load whatever you set FMM to do.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Magic Mango posted:

Find My Mac plays nice with FileVault 2 and still enables the thief to login to the honeypot Guest account to connect to the internet and load whatever you set FMM to do.

Yes, I suppose it makes sense that Apple wouldn't have two security solutions blocking each other like that. I'm curious, Is that the standard guest account or a non-admin one that you set up yourself as a honeypot?

Anyway, you'd also have to consider your expected computer literacy of an average thief (i.e. not very high). A honeypot account keeps them from trying too hard to get rid of your data, and since it's out of reach from their account, you'd be safe there. This is probably even more true with the locked-down designs of the MBA and rMBP. Also, find my mac is a bit bare when it comes to theft recovery, offering just a vague geoping, while others can use the webcam, report IP addresses, do keylogging and take screenshots.

edit: the standard guest account deletes files after every use, so making one yourself is a better way to keep the thief from trying to flatten your install

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 3, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamn mail didn't import properly again. I can even see the names of my "On this Mac" saved mail folders during the initial migration but they're nowhere to be seen. My notes are also all gone. The Accounts pane has each of my ISP mailboxes split in two: one that looks normal and one that has Notes checked off but says it can't connect.

I rebuilt each mailbox on the source MBP to make sure the indexes were healthy. I've spent hours on this now and am ready to just put this drat laptop in a drawer and forget about it.

Also it seems to insist on bringing over all my old Apps whether or not they will work under Mavericks. So CS2 gets migrated in full despite not working. I thought it was supposed to skip anything that won't run.

EDIT: When I first hit the button to collect mail it said "5 of 5" but nothing arrived. Click it again "10 of 10" with the same result. When I got to "25 of 25" I stopped.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 3, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So... let me get this straight - there are no Samsung drivers for any of their printers under 10.9 yet? Ughhhhhh My ML-2525W won't work, even with the older drivers or as a network printer on a remote computer. gently caress.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

This is a long shot, but anyone know of a way to make OS X request admin password when anything/anyone attempts a restart/shutdown/logout?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

rpop posted:

This is a long shot, but anyone know of a way to make OS X request admin password when anything/anyone attempts a restart/shutdown/logout?

Quick and dirty way is to create a non admin account, enable fast user switching, and leave that user logged in. Trying to restart while another user is logged in requires an admin password.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

So... let me get this straight - there are no Samsung drivers for any of their printers under 10.9 yet? Ughhhhhh My ML-2525W won't work, even with the older drivers or as a network printer on a remote computer. gently caress.

Depending on whether it uses PCL or PS for printing, just set it up as a generic PCL or PS printer until the drivers come out. I have to do that with a poo poo Ricoh MFP in my office at work since the idiots forgot to get the PS engine for the MFP and Ricoh doesn't do PCL drivers for OSX

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone else finding that safari becomes unresponsive for about 20 seconds when VMware fusion starts or suspends a virtual machine (ubuntu if that matters)? I did the app nap thing to the .app that somebody said earlier in this thread btw...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

Depending on whether it uses PCL or PS for printing, just set it up as a generic PCL or PS printer until the drivers come out. I have to do that with a poo poo Ricoh MFP in my office at work since the idiots forgot to get the PS engine for the MFP and Ricoh doesn't do PCL drivers for OSX

:suicide:

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I just bought my first Mac and had a question about folders.

In Windows, when I open up a folder it lists all of the folders within that folder alphabetically first, and then lists all of the files alphabetically. However, I can't seem to do this in Finder. If I choose to sort by kind it will show the folders first, but then the individual files are not in alphabetical order.

Is there any way for me to do this?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I just bought my first Mac and had a question about folders.

In Windows, when I open up a folder it lists all of the folders within that folder alphabetically first, and then lists all of the files alphabetically. However, I can't seem to do this in Finder. If I choose to sort by kind it will show the folders first, but then the individual files are not in alphabetical order.

Is there any way for me to do this?

I'm pretty sure the only way to do this is with an extension like XtraFinder or TotalFinder.

Edit: Yeah XtraFinder finder is free and supports 10.9 so I'd go with that.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

1997 posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way to do this is with an extension like XtraFinder or TotalFinder.

Edit: Yeah XtraFinder finder is free and supports 10.9 so I'd go with that.

This worked perfectly thank you!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is getting kind of annoying.

I have my mac book hooked to my monitor via HDMI. I have the lid closed and use external mouse/kb. It's the only screen, works great.

Mac book goes to sleep. I wiggle the mouse, or hit a key, it comes back to life. But my monitor is now my secondary display. I have to open the lid and shut it again, then it is just the monitor as it should be. However, all the windows are now jumbled all over the place because the retina display is like 5 times bigger than the monitor. I have to rearrange everything.

Is there any sort of fix for this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Philthy posted:

This is getting kind of annoying.

I have my mac book hooked to my monitor via HDMI. I have the lid closed and use external mouse/kb. It's the only screen, works great.

Mac book goes to sleep. I wiggle the mouse, or hit a key, it comes back to life. But my monitor is now my secondary display. I have to open the lid and shut it again, then it is just the monitor as it should be. However, all the windows are now jumbled all over the place because the retina display is like 5 times bigger than the monitor. I have to rearrange everything.

Is there any sort of fix for this?

Just leave it open and turn the brightness all the way down

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's in a cradle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is the new Mavericks dock annoying anyone else?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I genuinely had no idea anything changed. So I guess it doesn't annoy me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Yes, I suppose it makes sense that Apple wouldn't have two security solutions blocking each other like that. I'm curious, Is that the standard guest account or a non-admin one that you set up yourself as a honeypot?

Anyway, you'd also have to consider your expected computer literacy of an average thief (i.e. not very high). A honeypot account keeps them from trying too hard to get rid of your data, and since it's out of reach from their account, you'd be safe there. This is probably even more true with the locked-down designs of the MBA and rMBP. Also, find my mac is a bit bare when it comes to theft recovery, offering just a vague geoping, while others can use the webcam, report IP addresses, do keylogging and take screenshots.

edit: the standard guest account deletes files after every use, so making one yourself is a better way to keep the thief from trying to flatten your install
It's a completely separate mode as part of the recovery partition:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20122799-263/about-data-security-with-safari-only-mode-in-os-x-lion/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

Yep, no 2D dock pisses me off.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You have the dock on the bottom??

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just don't like the color, I preferred it to be transparent.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

door Door door posted:

Holy poo poo is the new iMovie terrible. They've simplified everything to practically iOS levels of functionality. As far as I can tell there's no longer any way to fade audio tracks because all you can do is adjust the level of a whole track. 12 year old me had a much easier time editing videos using whatever the hell version was out in 2002 than I am having right now.

From a few pages back but:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov3b5ded23e

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

shrughes posted:

You have the dock on the bottom??

Yes... :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Yes. Side dock has light blue Apple icons on a blue/white background with blue light indicators, what a great idea.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BlackMK4 posted:

Yep, no 2D dock pisses me off.

Is it no 2D dock on the sides, or no 2D dock anywhere?

That would be a real shame on the level of the translucent menu bar debacle as I have always used the 2D dock. Hopefully some third party will step up to the challenge and release a fix soon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

~Coxy posted:

Is it no 2D dock on the sides, or no 2D dock anywhere?

That would be a real shame on the level of the translucent menu bar debacle as I have always used the 2D dock. Hopefully some third party will step up to the challenge and release a fix soon.

No 2D dock on the bottom - sides are 2D.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Skxawng. Put it on the side!

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Just solved a minor mystery that's been bugging me since I got the new rMBP. I have two accounts, one for personal stuff and one for work, and I noticed that there's a keyboard lag when I type the password for the work account. I compared nearly everything and couldn't find anything that caused it, but then I realised that I have different screensavers for the two accounts...

How the hell can your brand new computer not handle the built-in arabesque screensaver, Apple? :argh:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

shrughes posted:

Skxawng. Put it on the side!

Annoying when you use more than one screen.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

gmq posted:

Annoying when you use more than one screen.

Why? My iMac is plugged into an additional screen and I don't find it annoying to have my dock on the side. It's not really different from having it on the bottom for 1 screen vs 2.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

benisntfunny posted:

Why? My iMac is plugged into an additional screen and I don't find it annoying to have my dock on the side. It's not really different from having it on the bottom for 1 screen vs 2.

Because in 10.9 you can access the dock from each monitor, but only if you position it at the bottom. It could work a little better, but it's still much more useful than having to move the cursor all the way over to the far left or far right edge to access it.

As for how it looks, I've always had the Dock on auto-hide, so can't say it really bothers me.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

GokieKS posted:

Because in 10.9 you can access the dock from each monitor, but only if you position it at the bottom. It could work a little better, but it's still much more useful than having to move the cursor all the way over to the far left or far right edge to access it.

As for how it looks, I've always had the Dock on auto-hide, so can't say it really bothers me.

Could you not just dock it on the side that is between both monitors? Having redundant docks seems more annoying to me than having to traverse a screen to get to one.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

Could you not just dock it on the side that is between both monitors? Having redundant docks seems more annoying to me than having to traverse a screen to get to one.

It doesn't let you dock it in any side that connects to an screen.

Honestly, autohide + super fast animation makes the dock position a non issue. It's not like it steals screen real estate when it's hidden

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Protip: cmd-alt-d hides the dock if you need the vertical space. I only ever hide it if I'm doing image editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So is there any fix for if you use Gmail and Mail on Mavericks that it's showing that you have unread emails when they are all read? I am reading about it everywhere, no fix that I can find.