Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Portable Ops also hints at the entrance of Hot Coldman and how the past several games were pretty much masterminded by him leading up to Peace Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
I always thought that they were trying to pin it on Ocelot, considering that the shadowy figure image they used was a picture of him that was scribbled on. But then Kojima thought that was a dumb idea or something and shoved in Hot Coldman.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes coming Spring 2014:

Eurogamer posted:

Ground Zeroes, the prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, will launch for PlayStations 3 and 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in spring 2014.

Digital versions will cost £19.99 on current-gen consoles and £29.99 on next-gen. Boxed versions will be released for PS3 and Xbox 360, also priced £29.99.

Ground Zeroes will act as an introduction to the story and gameplay of its bigger brother, The Phantom Pain, which still lacks a release date.

Metal Gear's big boss Hideo Kojima has said that players will be eased into the new open-world gameplay of Phantom Pain in Ground Zeroes, although full details of its plot are scarce.

"There will be a significant difference in what Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain brings to the series, so we want to ease players into the new open world environment and its potential.

"As such, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has been designed to introduce key elements, allowing them to fully benefit from all that the new game will offer."

E: So from this I guess we can deduce that GZ will be the Chico rescue mission in an open "arena" of the US Military prison camp in Cuba and maybe a bit more. Then Big Boss returns to Mother Base where everything goes to hell and the attack puts him in a coma for 9 years. To be continued in The Phantom Pain.

Which, to be as meta as you can be, will be released in 2023. :haw:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 4, 2013

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Interesting plan for release! I can't wait for this, though. I'm wondering if we'll get a 'Import data from' opinion in Phantom Pain - And if Phantom Pain itself will come with Ground Zeroes packaged in?

Admittedly, what data you could import I don't know. Maybe a bonus silly solider name.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This had better be one chunky release at that price. And it'll be crushing when they release it with TPP anyway.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
That's a lot sooner than I'd anticipated - yay :swoon:
Price seems a little steep for just a prologue, hopefully by owning Ground Zeroes you'll get a reduced price for the rest of the game when it launches.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I have to imagine they'll release a collector's edition of Phantom Pain with GZ included - in that case I'll probably just buy GZ digitally. Now I just have to scrounge up enough cash for a PS4 by next spring...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IchGestalt posted:

Interesting plan for release! I can't wait for this, though. I'm wondering if we'll get a 'Import data from' opinion in Phantom Pain - And if Phantom Pain itself will come with Ground Zeroes packaged in?

Admittedly, what data you could import I don't know. Maybe a bonus silly solider name.

Maybe if you find certain gear, Ocelot or Huey or whoever gives it to Snake when TPP proper starts? Nothing major, just like, the night vision goggles or the 1911 or something?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phantom Pain is coming out on current-gen stuff, right? So I can get Ground Zeroes and then Phantom Pain later for the same system? I don't want to have to buy a PS4 sooner than I intended just to finish a game I started on my 360.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe if you find certain gear, Ocelot or Huey or whoever gives it to Snake when TPP proper starts? Nothing major, just like, the night vision goggles or the 1911 or something?

Or perhaps some extra Camo? Maybe a bonus 'BP' point thing.

Still, I'm super excited for this - Going to try to grab a PS4 prior to GZ's launch.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Phantom Pain is coming out on current-gen stuff, right? So I can get Ground Zeroes and then Phantom Pain later for the same system? I don't want to have to buy a PS4 sooner than I intended just to finish a game I started on my 360.

A lot of the cross-generation launch games for the PS4 and X1 let you upgrade your current gen versions for $10. Even if you bought it on disc, you can put the PS3/360 disc in you can download and play the PS4/X1 version respectively.

I'm surprised that it's coming out so soon, since I was expecting late 2014. That might be when the full game comes out, but having something to tide me over will make the wait less frustrating.

They gave out half of the Tanker chapter from MGS2 with Zone of the Enders, so this sounds like the same sort of thing, but with a lot more content and a whole lot less anime whining.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Well drat, time to eat my hat. Here's hoping we get some concrete release info on the PC version sometime soon.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I thought I had more time to get around to finish playing peace walker before it came out. Need to get off my rear end and finally finish it

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Throb Robinson posted:

I thought I had more time to get around to finish playing peace walker before it came out. Need to get off my rear end and finally finish it

You've got it easy. I'm still on MGS2's HD Remake.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Throb Robinson posted:

That's a funny game to rush to finish because when it ends, it doesn't actually end. Not by a long shot.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
And boy, getting to the end can be a real pain in the rear end too. It took me forever, but the final boss is totally worth it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope a PC announcement is soon. Don't make me get a PS4, Kojima.:argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, so they are being released as separate games after all. I guess that puts a lot of our suspicions to rest.

Glad Ground Zeroes is getting released so soon :D

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I will buy a ps4 and ground zeroes if it has MGO.
If it doesnt i'll play it on the ps3

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I wonder if importing your mother base from PW will be in the game, or on the list of awesome things they wanted to put in the game but didn't that every MGS has.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Heading this off before we get lots of posts like Kotaku or something: "prologue" does not mean short. Also, I believe previous comments on Ground Zeroes was that it was in the 5 hour range and obviously it has replayability due to the structure of the game allowing you to tackle the mission in different ways. Note: if the teasers are correct, you're not just rescuing Chico but at some point BB has to come across Paz.

The price point for the UK is definitely high still, but I'm betting this is a case of "UK Gets hosed On Electronics" - I have a hard time seeing any US retailer or publisher selling PS4/Xbox One content at $12 higher just because it's next-gen (unless, as people have suggest above, it has Metal Gear Online included only on next-gen), as it'd actually mess with your sales for the new consoles you want to push.

On Ground Zeroes coming with Phantom Pain: from a marketing perspective, it makes 0 (har har) sense unless it's a bonus with the super expensive collector's edition every game has. Otherwise you just get people saying "I'll wait for Phantom Pain" and screwing your own product out of earning money. No doubt there will be a statement clarifying this in the next few weeks.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Bundling GZ with Phantom Pain would just limit their ability to re-release the game as a complete/substance/subsistence/superbistence edition in the future!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It reminds me of how Dead Rising 2: Case Zero worked. I thought that was a clever model, and it suprised me that it never caught on.

£19.99 is a bit steep, but if there's more content than just that camp level, it should be worth it. Is the boxed version only coming out for the next gen versions?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boxed versions are current-gen only, it seems.

But yeah, I think there's more to GZ than most people know. There have been quite a few videos showing the GZ part of the game and the map is pretty large, there have been multiple objectives (go in and capture prisoner X) on top of the Chico/Paz stuff and some of it takes place during daytime and some are night time missions. I think it'll probably be a pretty chunky package and worth the price.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Boxed versions are current-gen only, it seems.

But yeah, I think there's more to GZ than most people know. There have been quite a few videos showing the GZ part of the game and the map is pretty large, there have been multiple objectives (go in and capture prisoner X) on top of the Chico/Paz stuff and some of it takes place during daytime and some are night time missions. I think it'll probably be a pretty chunky package and worth the price.

Plus I wouldn't be at all shocked if when TPP is released, there's a cheaper digital version that works like a ginormous DLC for Ground Zeroes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is getting a price drop, and the DLC is now free.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-05-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-dlc-made-free

OK, it was put on the EU PS+ quite recently, but since I never bothered to pick up the Blade Wolf DLC because of it's poor reception, I can at least try it out for free.

E: VVV The EU store updates on Wednesdays, and the US store updates on Tuesdays. Hopefully we'll get the free DLC and price cut tomorrow.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 5, 2013

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
When is that actually happening? UK store prices are all still what they were (and the only DLC I can see via the game is a MGS4 costume, no idea if it was always like that though)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
There won't be any substantial differences in Ground Zeros between this gen and next gen right? Just better graphics/lighting and 60FPS right?

Assuming the actual content is the same I'll probably just buy the PS3 version and then pick up the PS4 version in a sale when I get one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It'll probably display in a higher resolution too but who knows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That loving Sned posted:

A lot of the cross-generation launch games for the PS4 and X1 let you upgrade your current gen versions for $10. Even if you bought it on disc, you can put the PS3/360 disc in you can download and play the PS4/X1 version respectively.

As far as PS4 it's only three, Assassins Creed, Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty. I haven't looked into the Xbone version of the deal but I'm sure it's the same. You also have to buy the upgraade before the end of March.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

It reminds me of how Dead Rising 2: Case Zero worked. I thought that was a clever model, and it suprised me that it never caught on.

£19.99 is a bit steep, but if there's more content than just that camp level, it should be worth it. Is the boxed version only coming out for the next gen versions?

If it's anything like the Revengeance demo I'll get my money's worth.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In all honesty, I'd pay 60 bucks for the Tanker chapter of MGS2 if it looked like Ground Zeroes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

In all honesty, I'd pay 60 bucks for the Tanker chapter of MGS2 if it looked like Ground Zeroes.
I did pay 60 bucks for 2/3 of the Tanker chapter of MGS2 when it did look like Ground Zeroes does now. It was called Zone of the Enders. I'd have no qualms doing that again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Stare-Out posted:

I did pay 60 bucks for 2/3 of the Tanker chapter of MGS2 when it did look like Ground Zeroes does now. It was called Zone of the Enders. I'd have no qualms doing that again.

I'd get mad at you for slighting ZOE, but it's not like the first ZOE stands up by itself very well either. It was basically a demo pack.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much. ZOE 2 was so much better. But yeah I said it in the ps4 thread, it might be a glorified tech demo but gently caress it. If it's at least like Dead Rising Case West Zero I am fine with it.

Much as I would like to be like GTA IV's DLC, I don't think they will go that far.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

timeandtide posted:

On Ground Zeroes coming with Phantom Pain: from a marketing perspective, it makes 0 (har har) sense unless it's a bonus with the super expensive collector's edition every game has. Otherwise you just get people saying "I'll wait for Phantom Pain" and screwing your own product out of earning money. No doubt there will be a statement clarifying this in the next few weeks.

I have no doubt this is what will happen. Dead Rising 2 was similar with the collector's editions only including Case Zero. You'll only see it included sooner if sales for Ground Zeroes are VERY bad, which they won't be since it's Metal Gear and, amazing new engine and graphics or not this is just a $20 game on disk for 360/PS3.

This is tough. I kept myself totally in the dark with MGS3 until Subsistence came out because after the popularity of MG1 and 2 I knew a re-release was inevitable. With MGS4 though it didn't happen, but in this case where there's a DLC prologue? Of course there will eventually be a release with everything another year or two from now, but I won't be able to hold out, oh my god I love Metal Gear so much.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

boom boom boom posted:

I think MGS2 should get a remake. As in, take out some of the crazier bullshit, add in some Raiden backstory, clean up the longwinded dialogue (Kojima needs a script editor to never let him out of his sight), and add in the stuff they cut from the Arsenal Gear*. Maybe, running on the theme of "what you see may not be real", you could do something like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and have support characters appear/act differently.

*It was cut because of 9/11. Arsenal Gear crashes into lower Manhattan and takes out everything below Wall St.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

David Copperfield posted:

I think MGS2 should get a remake. As in, take out some of the crazier bullshit

This is the wrongest thing said on the forums in a while. Keep all the crazy bullshit. Add crazier bullshit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Okay, so with Raiden... was he a cyborg in Sons of Liberty? I thought he was, but every now and then I come across references to him being just a really skilled dude at that point with all his blood swapped out for milk, becoming cyborged sometime between then and Guns of the Patriots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Okay, so with Raiden... was he a cyborg in Sons of Liberty? I thought he was, but every now and then I come across references to him being just a really skilled dude at that point with all his blood swapped out for milk, becoming cyborged sometime between then and Guns of the Patriots.

Nope, not a cyborg during Sons of Liberty.

• Locked thread