Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Oh gods, is that actually necessary?

No... did it last game. At least I could go from player to commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
reminder that all battlefield 4 servers operating in the continental United States other than kfs.xxx are run by and predominately populated by convicted child molesters

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

At least let you swap between player and commander without having to close and relaunch the client.

Built as intended, they didn't want the commander doing stuff just to benefit her/himself and not others.. because this apparently was a problem in 2142.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

reminder that all battlefield 4 servers operating in the continental United States other than kfs.xxx are run by and predominately populated by convicted child molesters

So if we're playing on KFS we only get to kill accused child molesters?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I don't know how often it's brought up here but I've reached the point where I only have fun when playing Hardcore mode.
Flood Zone + Parachute onto an awning + Recon = Easiest way to level up your sniper rifle.
Prison Level + Shotgun + mini-grenades = Easiest way to level up your grenades and shotgun.
Golmund(?) Railway + Engineer = Easiest way to level up launchers.

There's something about actually being able to kill people on sight that gets me in the top 5 players most rounds. I barely ever get that high in normal servers.

As for Commander, I think the "command multiple squads" thing wouldn't be such a huge deal if they actually forced pubbies to change squads in order to fill up squads and ensure maximum consolidation. Until then, dealing with 10 squads total, 7 of which are 1-2 man squads, will continue to be a thing that is stupid and needs fixing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Orv posted:

No... did it last game. At least I could go from player to commander.

Well I guess I was wrong. I could've sworn there wasn't a way to go from commander to player and vice versa.

Jalapeno0 posted:

Built as intended, they didn't want the commander doing stuff just to benefit her/himself and not others.. because this apparently was a problem in 2142.

Makes sense I guess. Maybe they could give you an option at the end of the round to swap roles? Unless this already exists and I am blind.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I finally broke 300 skill Ps. For a person who has always been poo poo at FPSs this is a nice little thing.

Time to turn it all to poo poo by finally learning vehicles!

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Tarranon posted:

I finally broke 300 skill Ps. For a person who has always been poo poo at FPSs this is a nice little thing.

Get a good gunner and break 400 easy.

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013

Tarranon posted:

Hi Tarranon,
Learn the ground vehichles first, you'll be getting a much higher score sooner then you think. Helicopters and jets... use the training camp to learn how to fly those things before jumping into a real game.

Gropiemon posted:

^^^this

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It looks like BF4 is pretty much maxing out my 3570K at 4.2 GHZ turbo boost. Time to try for manual 4.5 I guess.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

How hard can it be to have the borderless mode stick?
Or the regional server filters in the battlelog?

Jesus.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Jalapeno0 posted:

Hi Tarranon,
Learn the ground vehichles first, you'll be getting a much higher score sooner then you think. Helicopters and jets... use the training camp to learn how to fly those things before jumping into a real game.

^^^this

Thanks for the advice. Back in the beta I enjoyed hopping onto empty servers and getting a feel for the attack helis, trying to go fast and weave between buildings etc. I feel like my maneuverability got pretty good, but every time I hopped in one in a real match I was blown up almost immediately by RPG snipers (even though I was moving pretty fast, maybe my path was too predictable) or really anything.

I've never really done choppers or aircraft in a game like this so there's probably lots of little tricks I'd need to learn to be competitive, but I don't really know where to go beyond 'learn how to actually fly around without crashing into stuff' which I can do. Any advice on where to go from there?

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Riflen posted:

So the remote mortar is fun. Plonk it down and go about your business. When you encounter some shitlords on a rooftop, whip out the control and lay down the smack. You can fire rounds in rapid succession this time, but it has the same ammo recharge mechanic as other vehicles.

I long for the day when I can do this

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Game might be pretty fun but I can't stand playing for more than five minutes since it keeps windowing itself for no apparent reason.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gropiemon posted:

Yeah, I'm around 400 (well, I was, now I'm at 300 because gently caress grinding out sniper rifles) but two friends of mine just go hog wild in tanks and IFVs every round and they're both 555.

edit: Holy poo poo I got a dogtag of a fat lady singing, I love this game.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

mcbexx posted:

How hard can it be to have the borderless mode stick?
Or the regional server filters in the battlelog?

Jesus.

Borderless windowed mode has been useless for me since it seems like the game is stuck in "always on top" so tabbing out doesn't let you actually see other windows anyways.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TenementFunster posted:

Nah, some of them just have motds like "No African people allowed on this server yes we are racists" and a constant stream of racial slurs in chat.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

So is premium for $40 a good deal? I think the Black Friday deal that got leaked was for the game but not for premium. Not sure if it'll drop lower or not.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Anyone losing progression even though there's no server or game crash? I was playing a couple rounds, first one I ticked over to level 13, but as I loaded up the next map it stated I was level 12. I've noticed this quite a few times now.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hungry Bit posted:

Game might be pretty fun but I can't stand playing for more than five minutes since it keeps windowing itself for no apparent reason.

Hit esc and it will return to full screen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ark posted:

Anyone losing progression even though there's no server or game crash? I was playing a couple rounds, first one I ticked over to level 13, but as I loaded up the next map it stated I was level 12. I've noticed this quite a few times now.

Happens to me all the time unfortunately. It's like Battlelog isn't getting some of the ribbons/unlocks that you report to it correctly.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I'm really loving this game. I particularly love the innovative "Newbie Friendly" mode where you spawn into a server and cannot shoot nor run, but all other controls are active. This is a great way to get people to learn the map without introducing them to the dangerous world of firearms! I can't wait to play the America's Army inspired Firearm Safety course where I can listen to a gun safety lecture for 45 minutes before left click pulls the trigger!

And running before I know what I can and can't trip over is just awkward, thanks game!

Joshing aside, has anyone else seen that? My mouse buttons work fine outside of the game, as does my shift key.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2013

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gropiemon posted:

So if we're playing on KFS we only get to kill accused child molesters?
yes but only if you use the console command "/kill"

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Easiest way to rack up points as an engineer is to play Zavod and throw mines on the roads leading from the enemy uncap. Go wild and lay clusters of mines and clusters of slams, replenishing them when you kill tanks.

Engineer is truly the best troll class. :getin:

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

yes but only if you use the console command "/kill"

:pcgaming:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

Tarranon posted:

Thanks for the advice. Back in the beta I enjoyed hopping onto empty servers and getting a feel for the attack helis, trying to go fast and weave between buildings etc. I feel like my maneuverability got pretty good, but every time I hopped in one in a real match I was blown up almost immediately by RPG snipers (even though I was moving pretty fast, maybe my path was too predictable) or really anything.

I've never really done choppers or aircraft in a game like this so there's probably lots of little tricks I'd need to learn to be competitive, but I don't really know where to go beyond 'learn how to actually fly around without crashing into stuff' which I can do. Any advice on where to go from there?

420 skill errday

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Umberger posted:

Borderless windowed mode has been useless for me since it seems like the game is stuck in "always on top" so tabbing out doesn't let you actually see other windows anyways.

I don't get how they broke that, of all things. It didn't work properly in the beta, either.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've gained an entire rank without being able to shoot now. This is an amazing game, it makes you really think about War!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fallom posted:

I don't get how they broke that, of all things. It didn't work properly in the beta, either.

I was always confused on why they couldn't get it working in BF3. And well... now I know why.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

DoctorStrangelove posted:

1942 had expansions you dumb rear end.

Oh gently caress off,you can't see a difference? It didn't come with expansions on the day of release did it? As in, coming out as a single game with the option to spend like 60 bucks more for extra levels when the main product isn't even working properly

To clarify I think they've focused on marketing and making as much money through extra products as possible, not the base and here's what you get. I'm not saying those things didn't exist back then, if you need me to explain that

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 5, 2013

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Oh gently caress off,you can't see a difference? It didn't come with expansions on the day of release did it? As in, coming out as a single game with the option to spend like 60 bucks more for extra levels when the main product isn't even working properly

To clarify I think they've focused on marketing and making as much money through extra products as possible, not the base and here's what you get. I'm not saying those things didn't exist back then, if you need me to explain that

I don't think you understand how budgeting a AAA game works.

Also, you can't have people just sitting around after a game launches, even though those 1942 expansions weren't for sale when 1942 launched I can promise you there were still a shitload of people working on them. I guess if you're mad at a company selling something this far in advance then I don't know what to tell you.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you tried reinstalling? Fully uninstall everything, and then try again. It sucks, but sometimes that happens. pcgaming.txt, computers are fuckin' complicated yo.

updated drivers?

Thank you but yes; repaired, reinstalled, checked drivers, etc. Yes. Maybe I'll try the WIN 8.1 update. I've been playing games on the PC since like 1996 and I'm aware computers are a pain in the rear end but this is just plain broken which is obvious from the crashes and other issues out there. I'll just have to wait with everyone else I think

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Ularg posted:

I was always confused on why they couldn't get it working in BF3. And well... now I know why.

As I recall, BF3 only offered windowed or fullscreen, not borderless.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

I don't think you understand how budgeting a AAA game works.

Also, you can't have people just sitting around after a game launches, even though those 1942 expansions weren't for sale when 1942 launched I can promise you there were still a shitload of people working on them. I guess if you're mad at a company selling something this far in advance then I don't know what to tell you.

You don't think if they focused on getting the game working and the issues in the beta fixed instead of, well... literally anything else they're doing as a group, it would have been a better launch?

I'm aware these companies can be huge and can do multiple things at once but if that's the case, why haven't they done it here? The point is it's not working very well (if at all) for a lot of people. I'm fed up with the costly expansions and poo poo that should already be in the game in the first place -- so yes, I'm biased. But I feel like in the years before, companies would have created a solid product first before worrying about pushing other add ons

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 5, 2013

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a goon run /preferred server in Europe?

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

.. all is well, nevermind.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Did for a moment but seems to be back now for me.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The default rocket launcher feels really weak. The auto lock-on is nice I guess, but it's such a short range that if it goes off I was probably going to hit them anyway. The damage is just pathetic. 3 direct hits to a mobile artilery and it just kept driving along without a care in the world.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

You don't think if they focused on getting the game working and the issues in the beta fixed instead of, well... literally anything else they're doing as a group, it would have been a better launch?

I'm aware these companies can be huge and can do multiple things at once but if that's the case, why haven't they done it here? The point is it's not working very well (if at all) for a lot of people. I'm fed up with the costly expansions and poo poo that should already be in the game in the first place -- so yes, I'm biased. But I feel like in the years before, companies would have created a solid product first before worrying about pushing other add ons

Yeah man, explain to me how character or level artists should have dumped all of their work and gone to help the frostbite engine coders because poo poo's broken, or gotten on the phone with AMD faster so they pump out not poo poo drivers. Or how EA should have shipped over all of their marketing managers to do QA. I agree that this game could have had a better launch and more time in the oven would have probably helped, but work now is so specialized that I bet half of the DICE employees don't even know the other half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Requested_Username posted:

The default rocket launcher feels really weak. The auto lock-on is nice I guess, but it's such a short range that if it goes off I was probably going to hit them anyway. The damage is just pathetic. 3 direct hits to a mobile artilery and it just kept driving along without a care in the world.

Yeah it really shines when there's 2-3 dudes shooting simultaneously. You can one shot a chopper with it and I did 80 damage once to a tank but I'm not sure what happened. Get that RPG yo, murder armor.

• Locked thread