Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

theblackw0lf posted:

They are? Which game?

Draugen - a "first-person survival horror" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mo_Steel posted:

It's listed in the right sidebar of the game's Store page, about 1 screen down:

Enhanced Steam on Google Chrome is flagging the game as having 3rd Party DRM as well, though it might just be inaccurate because the game is new.

Enhanced Steam is flagging it because it just checks to see if there's a 3rd Party DRM field at all. It doesn't care that it says "None", it just cares that it's there.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Distance Alpha has been out for a while now and they even did a thing for halloween. It's not high-effort stuff, so I'm not seeing them wasting time on it they could have used on the game, proper. Still, what they have going now is fun, the most work I see ahead of them is making more tracks (and environment assets ARE being posted in the backer updates) and finalising the narrative for the game. There's videos out on Youtube of the alpha, nobody's under NDA and the devs so far have been really cool about users releasing footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Rgg8l9MW4

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 5, 2013

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's really starting to look like Obduction isn't going to make its initial funding goal, never mind the Oculus Rift silliness (Rift support would be cool, but why does it apparently take an extra $200k?). It really sucks to see this game fall short, and I can't help but think it has something to do with their pledge structure. $25 for the full game is rather low, considering how they're promising a full title on par with the legendary Myst and Riven. Conversely, the almost twofold $45 pledge level offers almost nothing substantial extra; just digital images and sound files. In order to get a boxed copy of the game, you need to pay $75, which is probably more than most gamers are willing to spend on a single title. I can't help but think that if they had organized things a bit differently, they'd have a much better shot at meeting their $1.1M goal.

Oh well, here's hoping for a surge right at the very end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Devils Affricate posted:

It's really starting to look like Obduction isn't going to make its initial funding goal, never mind the Oculus Rift silliness (Rift support would be cool, but why does it apparently take an extra $200k?). It really sucks to see this game fall short, and I can't help but think it has something to do with their pledge structure. $25 for the full game is rather low, considering how they're promising a full title on par with the legendary Myst and Riven. Conversely, the almost twofold $45 pledge level offers almost nothing substantial extra; just digital images and sound files. In order to get a boxed copy of the game, you need to pay $75, which is probably more than most gamers are willing to spend on a single title. I can't help but think that if they had organized things a bit differently, they'd have a much better shot at meeting their $1.1M goal.

It's really funny you say this because every game that's been within this percentage with the big name retro-nostalgia has made it so far. I don't know why you're so negative on this, but if you close your eyes for another week and come back to it it'll have made its goal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Stasis looks really promising. It's just one guy but he's already been working on it for a long time and seems to know what he's doing.
I keep telling myself it's because they're so busy working on it, but yeah, not much has happened in the way of updates. I didn't realize how long it'd been. I was also thinking maybe it's because they're a bigger studio that's made games before, so they're keeping the early production stuff under wraps until they have something to show backers, but I don't know how true that actually is. Double Fine is a decent sized company and they have updates at least once a month, usually more often, even at the pre-production phase.

That's because one of the major points of the DFA Kickstarter was to show the process of making the game from concept through release. They planned for it and lined up 2 Player Productions to film it beforehand. When you see it professionally shot and edited behind the scenes is pretty nice to see.

miguelito posted:

So for the souls who backed it, they actually released a teaser for the new Broken Sword on Gamescom. It's quite a while ago, but well, I just stumbled across it, and eeehhhhhhh.

Get in here if you wanted generic epic string music over decidedly unepic camera shots and wood puppet animation that looks like straight out of HOTD: Overkill cutscenes, but unironic.

That's actually fair bit better animation then I've seen in a lot of adventure games lately.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

That's actually fair bit better animation then I've seen in a lot of adventure games lately.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Broken Sword, but I think that looks perfectly fine? About as good as the Pendulo games, anyway.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In other "good games with the most generic name possible" news, Statis looks pretty awesome:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

EDIT: vvvvv Haha, whoops. No, I didn't. Edited. (I mistyped it as "Static".)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 5, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't tell if you mistyped its name on purpose or not.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Devils Affricate posted:

Is Obduction your first Kickstarter? It's doing fine. It's at about 70% with 11 days to go. Every single major Kickstarter out there has a big surge in the first few days and last few days of the campaign. It's in the mid-campaign lull still, but it'll pick up in the next week. There are plenty of people sitting on the fence who will join in, and plenty of people who put "placeholder" pledges in who will up theirs. (I'm actually in the latter category.)

I don't think it'll hit its stretch goals, and I think it'll come down to the wire, but I'm fully confident that it will be funded at the end of the campaign. Wasn't there some study done that said something like 90% of Kickstarters that pass the 60% mark get fully funded?

I don't think the doom and gloom is justified here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

macnbc posted:

Is Obduction your first Kickstarter? It's doing fine. It's at about 70% with 11 days to go. Every single major Kickstarter out there has a big surge in the first few days and last few days of the campaign. It's in the mid-campaign lull still, but it'll pick up in the next week. There are plenty of people sitting on the fence who will join in, and plenty of people who put "placeholder" pledges in who will up theirs. (I'm actually in the latter category.)

I don't think it'll hit its stretch goals, and I think it'll come down to the wire, but I'm fully confident that it will be funded at the end of the campaign. Wasn't there some study done that said something like 90% of Kickstarters that pass the 60% mark get fully funded?

The worst thing that could possibly happen to Obduction is they'll relaunch and only get like $800k instead.

Orv
May 4, 2011
RimWorld is going to start going out to people if you backed at a 30+ level in the next few days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The worst thing that could possibly happen to Obduction is they'll relaunch and only get like $800k instead.

Yeah but I really want that oculus rift support stretch goal. :smith:

Although if they don't hit it, odds are they'll add in rift support later anyways... its not like its that expensive (seriously that was a bad stretch goal)

Would it look awkward to later add something in that was on a stretch goal that you didn't make? But, would it be worse to then not make that thing, just because it was a stretch goal you didn't make?

Kickstarter is weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There've been a few Kickstarters that haven't made stretch goals that have resolved to do them anyway for various reasons. I don't think anyone will really care either way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but I really want that oculus rift support stretch goal. :smith:

Although if they don't hit it, odds are they'll add in rift support later anyways... its not like its that expensive (seriously that was a bad stretch goal)

Would it look awkward to later add something in that was on a stretch goal that you didn't make? But, would it be worse to then not make that thing, just because it was a stretch goal you didn't make?

Kickstarter is weird.

Kickstarter isn't weird, stretch goals are. A lot of them seem pretty arbitrary and are just a way of driving up some more hype. I could even see them potentially hurting a project in the long run since they can add specific goals you've pledged to add in even if later they turn out to be too expensive or time consuming. One example I can think of (though I'd have to look it up to be more specific but :effort:) is Divinity: Original Sin. One of their more recent updates stated they had to rework a lot of game systems to take into account their Kickstarter's stretch goals. I don't recall them making it sound like a big deal but you can never really tell with any kind of development team, it could have cost them a fair amount of time and money to do something they hadn't planned out very well.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

macnbc posted:

I also funded Tides of Numenera, but that one blasted past its minimum funding, so maybe I'm just nervous because I haven't really watched one plateau like this in the middle of the funding period. If there's an expected surge at the very end (I guess from people who decide at the last minute that they want to see the game happen?) then that's reassuring.

I'm pretty curious about their further stretch goals. The first one past the Oculus Rift support looks like it says "an additional world" followed by something I can't make out. The one past that is completely illegible.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 5, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kibayasu posted:

Kickstarter isn't weird, stretch goals are.

:rolleyes: Oh okay, glad we cleared that up.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1481457176/king-voxel

Looks like somebody never heard of 3D Dot Game Heroes...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Considering that literally everything about that is lifted wholesale from 3D Dot Game Heroes I'm sure he has. Well, except for this:

quote:

King Voxel is a thousand quests strong! Each quest has a uniquely generated overworld and castles. The item locations also varies greatly among different quests. In one quest you might find the crossbow near the start of the adventure, and in another quest it might be near the end. Don't worry the first sword upgrade is always early in the game so the quests wont be frustrating.
:jerkbag:
But I guess if you want a worse version of a game that is only ever going to exist on the PS3 go right ahead.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixeljam/dino-run-2

Ok, Dino Run was pretty cool and all but I'm not sure a sequel is going to get $175,000 for what it is. Why do they need that much, anyway? Between that and the $1000 tier that is pretty much just adding a 20 pixel tall blob to your dinosaur(s), I'm not sure what they expect, but I can't see it succeeding no matter how the game turns out. The pitch video isn't too reassuring either. Am I alone on this?

Kind of a pity, since Dino Run is one of the few Pixeljam games I don't despise with every fiber of my being, but I personally feel this one is dead in the water.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Yodzilla posted:

Well, except for this:

Why does everything have to be so randomized these days? Newsflash, devs: a good game has replay value even if it isn't procedurally generated. Give me a well structured game with thoughtful design over "it's different every time!"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Orzo posted:

Why does everything have to be so randomized these days? Newsflash, devs: a good game has replay value even if it isn't procedurally generated. Give me a well structured game with thoughtful design over "it's different every time!"

The idea of doing something procedurally is, I think, more attractive to sort of designer who is also a spergy coder which tends to be the case with Kickstarter stuff. Also people seem to underestimate the value of a good thoughtfully designed piece and overestimate the ease of making something procedural also be good.

I'm guilty of this too, I like designing procedural systems way more than I usually like playing heavily procedural games. It's easy to trick yourself into thinking you can make something way more awesome then you usually can this way.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 5, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Plus there are a lot of really good games coming out that make great use of procedural generation so people wanna hop on that bandwagon.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

voltron lion force posted:

Plus there are a lot of really good games coming out that make great use of procedural generation so people wanna hop on that bandwagon.
Which games? And how can they be assessed as 'really good' if they haven't come out yet?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think he means "have been coming out." Games like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think he means "have been coming out." Games like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky.

Yeah this.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1481457176/king-voxel

Looks like somebody never heard of 3D Dot Game Heroes...

Wow, this doesn't deserve that comparison at all.

I think 3D Dot Game Heroes is the best looking voxel game ever made though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Cheez posted:

Ok, Dino Run was pretty cool and all but I'm not sure a sequel is going to get $175,000 for what it is.

I loved Dino Run bunches and I'm glad to see it. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about their magical fairyland tiers, and it looks like they have some really tough programming ahead with all the variables for their *deep breath* procedural generation. The challenges aren't wholly graphical but to get all the different dinosaurs and all the different stages working together.

$175,000 to pay six programmers for over a year of development seems pretty cheap to me, all things considered.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Well, I suppose if you think it's going to be that difficult, maybe I'll keep asking around and check it out eventually.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My refund for the failed Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones kickstarter arrived. He's apparently adding an extra five percent as an apology for any hardships caused, which is nice, but makes me feel vaguely uncomfortable. Oh well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I loved Dino Run bunches and I'm glad to see it. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about their magical fairyland tiers, and it looks like they have some really tough programming ahead with all the variables for their *deep breath* procedural generation. The challenges aren't wholly graphical but to get all the different dinosaurs and all the different stages working together.

$175,000 to pay six programmers for over a year of development seems pretty cheap to me, all things considered.
They're doing the OUYA thing and will get twice the money they raise if they hit their goal. I wonder if the OUYA thing encourages teams to set higher goals than they would otherwise, because then you get more matched cash.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They're doing the OUYA thing and will get twice the money they raise if they hit their goal. I wonder if the OUYA thing encourages teams to set higher goals than they would otherwise, because then you get more matched cash.

Ugh, that's right. I'll probably pull my pledge if it's going to be a six-month OUYA exclusive.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

If anyone here still cares, Super Retro Squad updated again (since August). Looks like they're actually working on the game now. More than a year after the campaign ended. Woo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ugh, that's right. I'll probably pull my pledge if it's going to be a six-month OUYA exclusive.
The exclusivity only applies to non-OUYA consoles, so the computer release will proceed unhindered if they're Kickstarted.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

macnbc posted:

Don't forget that anybody who pushed "Remind me" gets reminded when the last 48 hours comes around, which probably has something to do with the surge there.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Don't forget that anybody who pushed "Remind me" gets reminded when the last 48 hours comes around, which probably has something to do with the surge there.

There ought to be something about this in the OP; the 48 hour surge is nearly universal, and this seems to come up a lot.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, played a bit of Rimworld, I'm really enjoying it so far. My first colony failed when everyone just up and quit on me (I guess they won't eat raw food anymore? :shrug:). My second was going well, had a battery farm fed by a geothermal vent and some solar panels, captured the first raider and added him to my colony, good supplies, all was well. So the game decides to drop five raiders on me next, four equipped with Uzis and the fifth with a pump shotgun, when I have two pistols. It's okay, though, because I have a couple autoturrets in the direction they'll be coming from... except the turrets exploded, killing both of my drafted colonists :gonk:. I'm going to bed now, but I'm already pleased with backing the game.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

So, played a bit of Rimworld, I'm really enjoying it so far. My first colony failed when everyone just up and quit on me (I guess they won't eat raw food anymore? :shrug:). My second was going well, had a battery farm fed by a geothermal vent and some solar panels, captured the first raider and added him to my colony, good supplies, all was well. So the game decides to drop five raiders on me next, four equipped with Uzis and the fifth with a pump shotgun, when I have two pistols. It's okay, though, because I have a couple autoturrets in the direction they'll be coming from... except the turrets exploded, killing both of my drafted colonists :gonk:. I'm going to bed now, but I'm already pleased with backing the game.
How solid is Rimworld in pre-alpha? I was holding off backing this right now because it was already way over funding and asking for a fair bit for the alpha, but if it's very playable now I may reconsider. Base-builder sims are awesome and I'm curious about the storyteller AI.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Detective Grimoire is finally finished and ready to ship, having just passed Apple's app-testing gauntlet. This time, after the setbacks of changing engines without much thought as to suitability, and taking additional work because they didn't realize they'd go over the time and money budgeted for the project, the problem was iOS7 having very poor interactions with Adobe AIR. So they went through and did whatever it was that kept iOS from throwing dialogues and noises with every tap and slide.

So that's a pleasant surprise. I don't think it's likely that I'll back another of their projects, but it's still nice to see a completed project that I'd basically written off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Owlchemy Labs just launched their kickstarter for Dyscourse, which looks like a neat mashup of uh...Don't Starve, State of Decay, and a choose your own adventure game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlchemylabs/dyscourse-survivors-choose-wisely