Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Stokes posted:

CWDT is gonna get nerfed, y'all

Damage spells aside, just leaving it at level 1 to constantly cast molten shell, regen totem, pcoc+ice spear, smoke mine, etc is stupidly powerful. That stuff isn't really hard to come up with so they had to know it would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

If I have a character from beta that I'm still playing would it be a good idea to reroll? He's only lv28, but I don't know if there were any large changes in early quests that might have me at a disadvantage.
They reset all the points, so you should have 28 unallocated ones to spend how you see fit.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ahhpple posted:

Voll asked the Karui to conquer the coast so no reinforcements could get to Sarn. They beat Marceus Lioneye at Lioneye's Watch and went all the way to the Coves.

A bunch of people managed to piece together the history of Wraeclast just by listening to the characters and reading item descriptions if you really wanna know what the story is.

I thought Maligaro was one of the Vaal people :v: An important thing that that article leaves out is that (spoiler of future content) Kaom and Hyrri, two of the Karui, 'descended' in to Wraeclast and are still alive and no longer human. They'll most likely be act bosses in future acts, or (less likely considering Kaom's body is a perpetual fountain of fire or something appropriately metal as gently caress) vague allies like the Gemling Queen is.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Cast when damage taken is the only gem in the game that benefits every character and every build to have it, there is no downside to it, it just makes your build more gooder.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
They'll likely nerf it to have a reasonable long cooldown (5-10 seconds I'd guess), which would preserve its use as a defensive contingency, but remove its offensive uses.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hate the Ancient Pyramid.

e: Jesus how big is this place?

e: Wow gently caress this dungeon.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 5, 2013

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
CWDT Discharge bombing is much weaker without Victario's Acuity or Voll's Devotion to generate charges, and neither will drop in the future.

I'm not sure the problem is CWDT inasmuch as a set of mechanics which generate charges for their flat bonuses (buffs on attack, on crit, on kill, etc.), and another set of mechanics which expend charges in order to gain some even bigger reward (invulnerability, tons of damage, etc.).

That's why there are items which reward you by making the generation process less tedious, and then another set of items which reward you for having the charges, on the assumption that you worked to generate them. But the former then always has to be balanced with the latter in mind, and there's just no good way to do it.

CWDT would be much less impressive if all you could do with it is fire off an attack spell at a fraction of a dedicated spellcaster's cast speed.

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 5, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I hate the Ancient Pyramid.

e: Jesus how big is this place?

e: Wow gently caress this dungeon.

As a general rule, the stairs to the next level are usually close to the opposite corner of where you came in.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
is that just Murphy's Law, or is that an actual rule implied by the map algo?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is Goldrim worth much? The resists seem good but I dunno how important other mods and armor intrinsics are in the late game.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

ronya posted:

is that just Murphy's Law, or is that an actual rule implied by the map algo?

Pretty sure it's the latter. It is very rarely straight n/s or e/w from your location.

Here's a truly lovely diagram:

If you enter the floor at blue, the highest likelihood (in my experience) is the red dot, and almost certainly it'll be in the yellow shaded area somewhere.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is Goldrim worth much? The resists seem good but I dunno how important other mods and armor intrinsics are in the late game.

A few chaos. In the first week or so of the ladder it's worth even more, due to the nice resists, say 5-6 chaos. Right now it's probably 3-4, depending on league and such.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

What's this worth in your opinions? Seller is asking 1 exalt, which is not right.

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 5, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Diet Lime posted:

What's this worth in your opinions? Seller is asking 1 exalt, which I don't think is kosher. It's good.

Those are pretty nice but I don't think I'd pay an exalt for them without a flat ES roll as well. Those gloves are basically for a rich person who wants to craft dream gloves via exalt / eternals.

But I could be wrong -- I don't know what ES stuff is going for right now.

e: Here's a pair in Dom with higher ES for 6 chaos. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/554190
But again, the pair you linked is ideal for further crafting -- they have the potential of being far better than the ones I linked. But it'll take a lot of currency to get them there, so probably a rich person will buy them, which is why the seller can ask so much.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
Yeah it's not like I was about to be a dick about it, but I don't have an exalt so.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Diet Lime posted:

What's this worth in your opinions? Seller is asking 1 exalt, which is not right.

Maybe 2 chaos, 3 tops since it's linked. The only reason I wouldn't vendor those is because I'd want both the chromatic orb and the alteration shards.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
I loving hate these little kids that don't know how bartering works! They need to watch some loving Pawn Stars.

You don't throw up a sale and then just remain silent after someone throws out an offer, you turn down their offer, then you just stay silent? Tell them how loving low you'll go, and start higher than where you want to end. Goddamit!

Edit:

You have a buyer climbing and you're not leading them. Enjoy that wall-to-wall stash of unused lovely half-good items then.

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 5, 2013

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Those gloves will almost definitely sell for around an exalt to a crafter, there isn't a pair of gloves on any league that has those rolls as high as they are from what I saw looking through indexers.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Aye Doc posted:

Those gloves will almost definitely sell for around an exalt to a crafter, there isn't a pair of gloves on any league that has those rolls as high as they are from what I saw looking through indexers.

(you're not talking about the lovely totally average IIR/IIQ gloves)

Also it's standard, I've seen higher in standard. Like I said, I wasn't a dick about it because it is a pretty nice.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Has anyone else encountered a problem where all keyboard input stops being recognized, except if your press escape twice the escape menu comes up? Very frustrating to have happen in the middle of a battle, seemingly for no reason.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
This happens when I start hitting my computer with my keyboard.

Serious answer: nope. Are you using a gaming keyboard with it's own weird driver?

Unrelated: does anyone have lightning effects displaying a whole translucent rectangle that should be transparent, such as the ribbons that shoot lightning? I've had this graphical glitch since day 1.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
No, just a Thinkpad. Don't remember it happening a few weeks ago but it's happened a few times in the last couple days.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I managed to get Blood Magic and was using Double Strike/LGOH. I thought I was doing okay until I got to the Vaal Oversoul and it felt like I was barely scratching his paint.

Here's my lovely build, how hosed am I? As it stands I can't use my Double Strike gem without an item-based Dex increase.

e: Oh yeah, here's my two weapon options right now. I need to use the boarding axe if I want to Double Strike, but the cleaver has a much better DPS (73.9 vs. 64).

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 5, 2013

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
So I'm nearing the end of Normal on my first Nemesis character, and I was wondering what the best unique farm spots are. I watched a video from when Onslaught was a thing that suggests Cruel Hillock (makes sense) and Vaal. Has any of that changed?

I really really really hope this game gets a proper cow level :ohdear: I guess the endgame maps will have to do, though.

edit: Cow level as in a joke level, rather :v:

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 5, 2013

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Mozi posted:

Has anyone else encountered a problem where all keyboard input stops being recognized, except if your press escape twice the escape menu comes up? Very frustrating to have happen in the middle of a battle, seemingly for no reason.

this happened to me once and it was because I accidentally hit the console key. You may not have seen the text (I didn't for like a minute)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

this happened to me once and it was because I accidentally hit the console key. You may not have seen the text (I didn't for like a minute)

Can also happen if you accidentally switched to another keyboard language (alt+shift is the shortcut so it's not that hard to do).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Do you mean the chat console? It wasn't that, and I wasn't in another language when I exited. Even if I were, hitting W or E should have triggered those skills...

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
On the topic of inputs in this game, I really love how I can bind left mouse to move only and right mouse to nothing and use all my skills from QWERT. Hate accidently hitting mobs when trying to back up or hitting right mouse button by accident while running across the map and having to wait for some poxy animation to finish.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What're the going prices for Concentrated Effect and Cast When Damage Taken right now?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Up the damage required to proc and/or have some kind of inherent cooldown? A cooldown would allow most people casually using to to autocast molten shell and stuff like that while stopping the ridiculous infinite loop guys. Which I'd be kind of sad to see. It's kinda nifty that you can make a build where you just run up to enemies and have them kill themselves. Like a turbocharged thorns effect. Maybe that'll make way for uniques with the non-nerfed cast on damage taken effect with some other nasty drawback inherent to it. Or reduced item rarity as that seems to be the lazy man's drawback to design in.

Give it a 1 second cooldown and it'll still be strong as hell while not being completely insane.

Or maybe make leveling the gem lower the damage to trigger it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I don't see why it even needs nerfed. The videos linked require extremely expensive gear that could clear it way faster if they played properly.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Evil Mastermind posted:

how hosed am I? As it stands I can't use my Double Strike gem without an item-based Dex increase.

Learn from this. Don't just level up every gem when it pops, be sure that the new level of gem won't suddenly have too high of a mana cost or have issues with stat/level requirements.

Easiest thing would be to get a new Double Strike gem. The duelist can get that from the quest you turn in as soon as you get into town. Or go with another melee attack.

Though I'd really suggest refunding that point out of blood magic. Its far more likely to end up causing you far more trouble that it is worth and you are a long way away from being able to build around it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For me there are usually +30 dex nodes etc. nearby, or I use some piece of equipemnt which gives stats or reduced requirements.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Bovineicide posted:

So I'm nearing the end of Normal on my first Nemesis character, and I was wondering what the best unique farm spots are. I watched a video from when Onslaught was a thing that suggests Cruel Hillock (makes sense) and Vaal. Has any of that changed?

I really really really hope this game gets a proper cow level :ohdear: I guess the endgame maps will have to do, though.

edit: Cow level as in a joke level, rather :v:

Maybe I'm playing Nemesis wrong or something but I don't really see any reason to stop and farm stuff in cruel. I usually just stay in the go-to grind spots (ledge/sins/sarn/docks) until I'm 2 or 3 levels ahead of the zone levels and the continue on my way through the game. It worked to get my first nem character to merc but then I promptly afk-died to rhoas so I'm not sure how it holds up in merc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to make the game display damage numbers over the heads of enemies, ala D3 / Torchlight 2? I feel like I'm vastly overestimating how bad the latency is because I can't tell when my attack is a genuine miss. I took a look through the options and couldn't really find anything.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
GGG has said they're looking into adding the option, but that was a while ago.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Gyoru could you add the second guild "Grinding Gear Goons" to the OP? People that can invite so far are "Vax" ingame "YesPlx" and "Diet Lime" ingame "MorganaMorgose", thanks.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a way to make the game display damage numbers over the heads of enemies, ala D3 / Torchlight 2? I feel like I'm vastly overestimating how bad the latency is because I can't tell when my attack is a genuine miss. I took a look through the options and couldn't really find anything.

You did find the individual hp bar option though right?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

door.jar posted:

Don't ever try and deal with the Trade Channel, poe.xyz.is is still somewhat painful but it's a drat sight better. If you're selling you simply make a thread in the right POE forum (read the details of how it scrapes the data) and people come to you. If you're buying then use the search filter to find what you want, online only works well if you want something now, buyout required seems to find nothing as people are idiots about buyouts.

I'll take the pain of poe.xyz.is over what the (RM)AH did to D3.

Here you go buddy: http://poexplorer.com

Thank me later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, so I'm level 15 but I figured I'd ask this before I end up confusing myself. I have a basic build in mind and all that but I'm wondering if I'm over-thinking my use of skills. Currently my ranger is using fire arrow, fire trap, lightning arrow and ice shot. I'm cycling through these abilities depending on the situation and resists of the mobs buuuuuuut is that being a little too prepared and making too much work for myself?

I don't know if this game turns into Diablo where you basically hold down the right mouse button at higher levels, but I don't want to go forming bad habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

JawnV6 posted:

I need endgame gear. My LA shows 300 DPS with Chain and GMP, Frenzy gets up to 3k with full charges. But goons are tossing out 5k AoE and 20k single target for maps, so it's safe to say there's some headroom. I'm entirely self geared (er, and goon-stash geared) at this point, have only traded for gems and currency. I had a 5l chest drop, a couple shots with alch/scouring got it up to 680 evasion.
I wouldn't worry too much about the raw DPS numbers on your character sheet. That 300 DPS applies to every LA you fire, which then splits into five separate arrows, each of which in chains between a bunch of mobs all of whom are presumably cursed (right?)

As long as you're killing things at a reasonable speed, that's all that matters. They'll be inaccurate and misleading for AOE skills, and even for single target ones it's a guess that doesn't factor in how mob armour works and the like.

• Locked thread